Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Loyola of Chicago similar to 81 Dukes?
Bookmark and Share
Middle-aged-Duke Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: JMU
Correction: similar to the 82 Dukes. The center Krutwig for LoC makes me think of Dan Ruland...really smooth footwork, shooting, passing. Maybe the other players have some similarities to the that Dukes squad. Underrated team now in the Elite 8, now the Final 4!

What happens to the Dukes then if they did not have to play UNC/Jordan, Worthy after beating Ohio Sate?
(This post was last modified: 03-24-2018 08:12 PM by Middle-aged-Duke.)
03-24-2018 05:39 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Wear Purple Offline
Hall of Famer

RE: Loyola of Chicago similar to 81 Dukes?
Did we have a Sister Jean?

03-thumbsup
03-24-2018 06:02 PM
Middle-aged-Duke Offline
Bench Warmer

(03-24-2018 06:02 PM)Wear Purple Wrote:  Did we have a Sister Jean?

03-thumbsup

There is a Townes playing for LoC... not Linton though :)
Is a David Dupont, Charles Fisher out there?
(This post was last modified: 03-24-2018 06:27 PM by Middle-aged-Duke.)
03-24-2018 06:22 PM
Rock House Duke Offline
1st String

I love how LoC plays offense. Great ball movement creating open high percentage looks at the rim.
03-24-2018 06:36 PM
JMUNation Offline
All American

How great would it be if LOC were to win it all?
03-24-2018 09:10 PM
JMad03 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: James Madison
Doesn't even seem to be fair to call them a Cinderella team. They are too good. I definitely think they have what it takes to win it all. They are only two games away, after all.
03-24-2018 09:17 PM
Advertisement

NJDuke97 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Jmu
Fun team to watch play- they play very confidently- good flow on offense, take care of the ball, make the extra pass, play tough (mostly man) defense. They have a few Juniors on the roster and younger players so they should be good again next year.

Mason-->VCU---> Loyola Chicago all 11 seed teams from mid major conferences who crashed the Final Four

I didn't realize Loyola Chicago won the National Championship in 1963. They are part of college hoops royalty.
03-25-2018 07:26 AM
Wear Purple Offline
Hall of Famer

(03-25-2018 07:26 AM)NJDuke97 Wrote:  I didn't realize Loyola Chicago won the National Championship in 1963. They are part of college hoops royalty.

Google "Loyola Mississippi State 1963" and read some of the articles about the scenario around their NCAAT game that year. It went as far as a Mississippi congressman getting an injunction to stop the MSU team from traveling for the game as he opposed the Bulldogs (all white) playing a team that included blacks.

The MSU team just barely made it up in the air on the plane before the injunction and governor stopped them. There are quotes about the tournament directors not knowing which team would get off the plane at the regional site - MSU (SEC champs) or Georgia Tech (SEC runner-ups).
03-25-2018 08:46 AM
BleedingPurple Offline
Hall of Famer

(03-25-2018 08:46 AM)Wear Purple Wrote:  
(03-25-2018 07:26 AM)NJDuke97 Wrote:  I didn't realize Loyola Chicago won the National Championship in 1963. They are part of college hoops royalty.

Google "Loyola Mississippi State 1963" and read some of the articles about the scenario around their NCAAT game that year. It went as far as a Mississippi congressman getting an injunction to stop the MSU team from traveling for the game as he opposed the Bulldogs (all white) playing a team that included blacks.

The MSU team just barely made it up in the air on the plane before the injunction and governor stopped them. There are quotes about the tournament directors not knowing which team would get off the plane at the regional site - MSU (SEC champs) or Georgia Tech (SEC runner-ups).

I grew up in that day and time. Someone who didn't go to school under a segregated society which integrated mid-way through your education would have a difficult time grasping the changing world we lived through. My county schools were integrated at the completion of my 5th grade. Fortunately for me, I was in a blue-collar town where the separation wasn't as drastic of a shock as many city folk may have had and my parents really were not opposed to the changing world I was about to face. It was about as smooth of a transition for me as anyone could have gone through. However, the news during the 60's never lacked stories to report.
03-25-2018 10:47 AM
AssyrianDuke Offline
All American

The picture of the handshake between the two captains (Joe Dan Gold for MSU; Jerry Harkness for Loyola) is one of the more enduring pictures of all time. There are several books about the game, referred to now as the "Game of Change." Really glad that Loyola is doing so well in the tournament, but I would like to hear more about the players than Sister Jean. I mean, does anyone know the starting 5's first and last names? Don't get me wrong, I love Sister Jean, but I would like to see some of that love extended to those on the court a bit more.
03-25-2018 11:00 AM
jmu98 Online
All American

(03-25-2018 11:00 AM)AssyrianDuke Wrote:  The picture of the handshake between the two captains (Joe Dan Gold for MSU; Jerry Harkness for Loyola) is one of the more enduring pictures of all time. There are several books about the game, referred to now as the "Game of Change." Really glad that Loyola is doing so well in the tournament, but I would like to hear more about the players than Sister Jean. I mean, does anyone know the starting 5's first and last names? Don't get me wrong, I love Sister Jean, but I would like to see some of that love extended to those on the court a bit more.

If you want a quick tear find the story about Jerry Harkness at Joe Dan Gold's funeral when he went to the casket.

Pretty sure that we will see a movie about that Loyola team now that there is so much attention on it.
03-25-2018 07:59 PM
Advertisement

AssyrianDuke Offline
All American

(03-25-2018 07:59 PM)jmu98 Wrote:  
(03-25-2018 11:00 AM)AssyrianDuke Wrote:  The picture of the handshake between the two captains (Joe Dan Gold for MSU; Jerry Harkness for Loyola) is one of the more enduring pictures of all time. There are several books about the game, referred to now as the "Game of Change." Really glad that Loyola is doing so well in the tournament, but I would like to hear more about the players than Sister Jean. I mean, does anyone know the starting 5's first and last names? Don't get me wrong, I love Sister Jean, but I would like to see some of that love extended to those on the court a bit more.

If you want a quick tear find the story about Jerry Harkness at Joe Dan Gold's funeral when he went to the casket.

Pretty sure that we will see a movie about that Loyola team now that there is so much attention on it.

I wonder who they will get to play a young Sister Jean in the movie.
03-26-2018 09:02 AM
Wear Purple Offline
Hall of Famer

(03-26-2018 09:02 AM)AssyrianDuke Wrote:  
(03-25-2018 07:59 PM)jmu98 Wrote:  

I wonder who they will get to play a young Sister Jean in the movie.

Gotta be Lou Holtz. He did a wonderful job playing Granny Clampett back in the day on Beverly Hillbillies.

[Image: gty_933212192_98510138-e1521332634346.jp...amp;crop=1]
[Image: LouHoltz.png]

04-cheers
(This post was last modified: 03-26-2018 09:27 AM by Wear Purple.)
03-26-2018 09:25 AM
JMU_71 Offline
1st String

I did like what Sister Jean said when asked what she gave up for Lent. Her response was "losing."
03-26-2018 01:57 PM
AssyrianDuke Offline
All American

(03-26-2018 01:57 PM)JMU_71 Wrote:  I did like what Sister Jean said when asked what she gave up for Lent. Her response was "losing."

The championship game is after Lent ends.... uh oh.
03-26-2018 02:33 PM
Centdukesfan Offline
All American

I Root For: Dukes, bud
The crazy thing is that their coach moser was fired from his last job as a head coach at illinois state, and has been underwhelming as a coach up until this year. I wonder how/when the light clicked? It seems like an insanely well coached team.
03-26-2018 02:39 PM
Advertisement

JMU_71 Offline
1st String

(03-26-2018 02:33 PM)AssyrianDuke Wrote:  
(03-26-2018 01:57 PM)JMU_71 Wrote:  I did like what Sister Jean said when asked what she gave up for Lent. Her response was "losing."

The championship game is after Lent ends.... uh oh.

Yeah, but the National Semi-final isn’t. Ruh, row Wolverines...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
03-26-2018 02:39 PM
JMU_71 Offline
1st String

(03-26-2018 02:39 PM)Centdukesfan Wrote:  The crazy thing is that their coach moser was fired from his last job as a head coach at illinois state, and has been underwhelming as a coach up until this year. I wonder how/when the light clicked? It seems like an insanely well coached team.

Lightning in bottle—Isn’t it a senior heavy team; so far they’ve played teams with little historic success in the tournament, and they’ve played fairly low seeded teams with the exception of Tennessee.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
03-26-2018 02:42 PM
Hart Foundation Offline
Heisman

Except only 2 of their starters are seniors. They have 2 juniors who transferred from other D-1 programs and that is the way of college basketball in 2018. You can build a championship team in one year with graduate transfers or 2 years with undergraduate transfers.

There is no waiting or patience required.
Now if this was 1975, then you would need a 4 year recruiting cycle to see how a coach could fully impact his roster.
03-26-2018 05:32 PM
HyperDuke Offline
Hall of Famer

You can, but should you? Can a CAA team find consistent NCAA success with players he only has for two years? We know it didn’t work with Matt Brady & that guy was an amazing coach. He had a ton of players who only played for two years.
03-26-2018 05:41 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.