Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Could Dissatisfaction Be Smoldering In the ACC North?
Bookmark and Share
JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

I Root For: SEC
Why is Syracuse treated like a red headed stepchild when they have obviously added to the ACC? I've heard the same kinds of things that the article is highlighting coming from Heel fans. Could it be that 'Cuse doesn't mind keeping it a talking point? Time will tell.

https://www.nunesmagician.com/2018/3/22/...ealignment
03-22-2018 09:49 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Soobahk40050 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Tennessee
RE: Could Dissatisfaction Be Smoldering In the ACC North?
(03-22-2018 09:49 PM)JRsec Wrote:  Why is Syracuse treated like a red headed stepchild when they have obviously added to the ACC? I've heard the same kinds of things that the article is highlighting coming from Heel fans. Could it be that 'Cuse doesn't mind keeping it a talking point? Time will tell.

I don't have a good answer to this question except that if the ACC actually divided North and South and not Atlantic and Coastal it might have better luck. A northern division of Syracuse, Pitt, Boston College, Louisville, VTech, Miami and ? (Virginia) would.make a much more intriguing division and keep some of the culture of the old Big East alive, with the culture of the ACC now on the South with the Tobacco Road + Georgia Tech + Clemson + Florida State.
03-22-2018 10:47 PM
JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

(03-22-2018 10:47 PM)Soobahk40050 Wrote:  
(03-22-2018 09:49 PM)JRsec Wrote:  Why is Syracuse treated like a red headed stepchild when they have obviously added to the ACC? I've heard the same kinds of things that the article is highlighting coming from Heel fans. Could it be that 'Cuse doesn't mind keeping it a talking point? Time will tell.

I don't have a good answer to this question except that if the ACC actually divided North and South and not Atlantic and Coastal it might have better luck. A northern division of Syracuse, Pitt, Boston College, Louisville, VTech, Miami and ? (Virginia) would.make a much more intriguing division and keep some of the culture of the old Big East alive, with the culture of the ACC now on the South with the Tobacco Road + Georgia Tech + Clemson + Florida State.

Yeah but they can't do that. All of the football contenders are in the South and the CCG can't be a blowout every year. Divide North and South and that's exactly what happens.
03-22-2018 11:12 PM
Hokie Mark Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: VT, ACC teams
(03-22-2018 11:12 PM)JRsec Wrote:  

Yeah but they can't do that. All of the football contenders are in the South and the CCG can't be a blowout every year. Divide North and South and that's exactly what happens.

Not really. You're going to get either VT or Miami from the Coastal (most likely) anyway, and they are going to face Clemson or FSU (most likely), so that part wouldn't change - as long as Miami is slotted in the ACC North (or as I like to think of it, "ACC East").

The problem is the 7th team. UVA won't tolerate being separated from UNC, Duke and GT. VT wouldn't like it, but might be willing to do it as team #6. The only team which might be persuaded to be team #7 and "take one for the team" would be Wake Forest. That gives a division of: BC, Syracuse, Pitt, Louisville, Miami, VT, Wake

BC, Miami, VT and Wake have all won a division before. Pitt and Louisville have come close, and Syracuse is a wild-card. Not a bad football division, TBH.

Now, if you could remove Wake and add Notre Dame and WVU - THEN you'd have something worth doing!
03-23-2018 03:19 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
XLance Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Carolina

As Andy would say, You won't do JR, you just won't do.
03-23-2018 04:34 AM
JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

(03-23-2018 03:19 AM)Hokie Mark Wrote:  

Not really. You're going to get either VT or Miami from the Coastal (most likely) anyway, and they are going to face Clemson or FSU (most likely), so that part wouldn't change - as long as Miami is slotted in the ACC North (or as I like to think of it, "ACC East").

The problem is the 7th team. UVA won't tolerate being separated from UNC, Duke and GT. VT wouldn't like it, but might be willing to do it as team #6. The only team which might be persuaded to be team #7 and "take one for the team" would be Wake Forest. That gives a division of: BC, Syracuse, Pitt, Louisville, Miami, VT, Wake

BC, Miami, VT and Wake have all won a division before. Pitt and Louisville have come close, and Syracuse is a wild-card. Not a bad football division, TBH.

Now, if you could remove Wake and add Notre Dame and WVU - THEN you'd have something worth doing!

This is the pizazz that is needed. Even if N.D. football is just better than average the name would sell the game. WVU would be a real contender in an ACC North enough times in a decade to keep it interesting. At least it would give the Old Big East football lovers something to rally around and that would help push the numbers.
03-23-2018 11:45 AM
Advertisement

Lenvillecards Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Louisville
Some fans just can't get used to change. The ACC has an amazing tradition but the leadership realized that change was needed in order for the ACC to survive, some fans need to come to this realization as well. A majority of the ACC has come to this realization already.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
03-26-2018 06:22 AM
ren.hoek Offline
1st String

I Root For: Clemson
(03-26-2018 06:22 AM)Lenvillecards Wrote:  Some fans just can't get used to change. The ACC has an amazing tradition but the leadership realized that change was needed in order for the ACC to survive, some fans need to come to this realization as well. A majority of the ACC has come to this realization already.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bloggers and news writers have voiced complaints over various things such as the ACC basketball tournament venue. The real question is what do the Presidents, ADs, Board of Trustess, and other people who actually matter think. I'm not aware of any festering sores among that crowd.
03-26-2018 07:46 AM
ren.hoek Offline
1st String

(03-23-2018 11:45 AM)JRsec Wrote:  
(03-23-2018 03:19 AM)Hokie Mark Wrote:  

This is the pizazz that is needed. Even if N.D. football is just better than average the name would sell the game. WVU would be a real contender in an ACC North enough times in a decade to keep it interesting. At least it would give the Old Big East football lovers something to rally around and that would help push the numbers.

I've always thought that Big East + WF and Old ACC divisions were the way to go. They would actually be pretty balanced with VT/Miami in one and Clemson/FSU in the other.
03-26-2018 07:49 AM
murrdcu Offline
1st String

I Root For: Arkansas
If B1G fails to add KU and OU, would they settle for KU and Syracuse?
03-26-2018 10:37 AM
JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

(03-26-2018 10:37 AM)murrdcu Wrote:  If B1G fails to add KU and OU, would they settle for KU and Syracuse?

Perhaps, one day. They wouldn't even start flirting with Syracuse until 2033 and wouldn't be able to land them until after the next GOR extension for the ACC in about 2035. Or roughly the time a century ago between the end of the Great War (1918) and the rise of Hitler (1933) and his taking of the Sudetenland in 1938. So if Delany eyed Syracuse now a lot has to happen before he marches into Syracuse to raise the Big 10 banner.
03-26-2018 10:56 AM
Advertisement

XLance Offline
Hall of Famer

(03-26-2018 10:37 AM)murrdcu Wrote:  If B1G fails to add KU and OU, would they settle for KU and Syracuse?

Nah! If the B1G can't get OU and KU, Delany will turn his attention to Missouri and Boston College.
03-26-2018 12:07 PM
murrdcu Offline
1st String

I Root For: Arkansas
(03-26-2018 10:56 AM)JRsec Wrote:  

Perhaps, one day. They wouldn't even start flirting with Syracuse until 2033 and wouldn't be able to land them until after the next GOR extension for the ACC in about 2035. Or roughly the time a century ago between the end of the Great War (1918) and the rise of Hitler (1933) and his taking of the Sudetenland in 1938. So if Delany eyed Syracuse now a lot has to happen before he marches into Syracuse to raise the Big 10 banner.

So 15 years to wait or if the ACC Network collapses. I still think the ACC Network will be success, just behind both the SEC and B1G channels in terms of profitability
03-26-2018 12:22 PM
ren.hoek Offline
1st String

(03-26-2018 12:22 PM)murrdcu Wrote:  

So 15 years to wait or if the ACC Network collapses. I still think the ACC Network will be success, just behind both the SEC and B1G channels in terms of profitability

Concur with this. I think the ACCN will be successful, but the B1G and SEC networks will still have a lead. How much the ACCN will narrow that gap remains to be seen. I would think that the ND factor would be beneficial to the carriage rates in the Northeast. There has been speculation that ND would allow the ACCN to get carriage in Chicago. NC, SC, VA, and FL should get very good carriage rates. It's all meaningless speculation by a bunch of non-experts at this point. We'll see.
03-26-2018 12:47 PM
JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

(03-26-2018 12:47 PM)ren.hoek Wrote:  

Concur with this. I think the ACCN will be successful, but the B1G and SEC networks will still have a lead. How much the ACCN will narrow that gap remains to be seen. I would think that the ND factor would be beneficial to the carriage rates in the Northeast. There has been speculation that ND would allow the ACCN to get carriage in Chicago. NC, SC, VA, and FL should get very good carriage rates. It's all meaningless speculation by a bunch of non-experts at this point. We'll see.

The game here ren is on the fringes. Just where can the Big 10 really go to add value? Oklahoma, Texas, Notre Dame, a Virginia or North Carolina school. The problem with all of those is that it would require some form of external pressure before they ever considered a move.

With the ACC the pressure could be economic, but that is an unknown. In 2010 the Big 10 hoped Maryland would provide that pressure, and it did, just not enough. Maryland was the weakest link in the ACC's armor. They were farther North, and had massive monetary woes.

So I would argue that the weakest links in the ACC today are in the Northeast. Boston College, Syracuse, and Pitt are all private or quasi private schools which probably need the additional revenue to remain viable.

Rutgers was a plucking of a Big 10 type school that could create instability in New England and the Northeast. Syracuse will feel the rise of Rutgers finances more than most of the other ACC schools. Penn State was part of the external pressure that Maryland was feeling.

In those two additions were what, if any, long term strategy the B1G had in 2010. Build up two schools within the footprint of the ACC and let time, pressure, and monetary disparity do its work.

What Delany failed to take into consideration was that the most expensive sport, football, was not as important to these schools as was basketball. So therefore their tolerance for economic disparity is much higher.

The Virginia and North Carolina schools have no concern over these matters right now. They have always had a disparity in income with their neighboring conferences, but they have always had non football interests so their threshold for feeling economic pressure is much higher as well.

Clemson and Florida State are building themselves up and remain close enough to the SEC to remain competitive.

The weakest links therefore, outside of Georgia Tech which is neutralized from the Big 10 by geography, and not profitable to the SEC, are in the Northeast. This is crucial because of the TV markets there. While their product is not crucial to the ACC's survival, the markets and the exposure the ACC gains there is.

Because of this Syracuse and Boston College, more so than Pitt, would be key grabs by Delany if he wanted to continue to destabilize the ACC. The airing of these kinds of stories merely provides a talking point around which an administration which could finance all of its sports more amenably by switching conferences, could gain public approval from their constituents if that angle is played up. Therefore the danger with these kinds of articles is that they can be turned into a prelude for movement.

If the ACC is destabilized it won't be by the SEC, but by the Big 10. The ACC really doesn't pose a threat to the SEC and is a nice buffer against the Big 10's eastward expansion hopes.

That said it would be very wise of the ACC to pursue larger markets elsewhere as a safety valve should a Syracuse or B.C. ever defect. For that reason pursuit of the Texas market would be smart and Texas and T.C.U. would be the targets that get the most bang out of the markets. Houston would also be key. To make that possible an expansion to 20 by the SEC and ACC would actually do more to secure the permanence of the ACC than anything else that could happen. I say 20 because to land Texas a division of their current home schedule would be a clincher.

So long range, both the SEC and ACC would be extremely secure should they decide to absorb the Big 12 between them. Why?

Those additions would raise the ACC to a competitive rate in TV revenue. They would insure the success of the ACCN because the Texas/Oklahoma market area comprises 34 million viewers who do watch weekly. And because it removes all of Delany's expansion targets. So it halts the Big 10's economic growth while growing that of the ACC and sating the SEC's desires for a cohesive buffer and new markets.

Should the ACC TV payouts approach 50 million there would be no lure for Syracuse and B.C.. In fact the roles would reverse and the island nature of Maryland and Penn State and Rutgers would actually put them at risk for future movement from the Big 10 for the sake of more local play.

The new SEC would essentially be the Old SEC as the Eastern division, and the new SEC Western division would essentially be members and friends of the old SWC minus Texas.

Why is the Big 10 so interested in Kansas and Oklahoma? Because that is their best future lure for Texas. The value of Texas and Oklahoma as a pair is almost equal to the entire value of the present ACC (not counting N.D.).

If you think the ACC could be vulnerable now should their revenue not increase dramatically, just let Oklahoma and Kansas, and later Texas fall into the Big 10's hands. There would literally be nothing that would stop them from cherry-picking the ACC apart after that.

So an abosrption of the Big 12 schools IMO is a necessary defensive move if we want our two conferences to remain insulated from outside interference. I cannot foresee the SEC's desire to grow further if something like this were to occur.

Oklahoma, Kansas, Iowa State, Oklahoma State, Texas Tech, and West Virginia to the SEC.

Baylor, Houston, Kansas State, Texas Christian, Texas, and Notre Dame to the ACC.

Kansas can play Kansas State out of conference if they share a conference with Missouri. K State plays solid basketball and better football than Kansas and would be better for the ACC in that regard than Kansas.

Texas Tech is a bridge too far for accessibility to the ACC. The rest of it is to give Texas their own division.

Once the access pathways Southward are cut off from the Big 10 realignment will end. The PAC is too remote for anything but a shared network with the Big 10 and a scheduling alliance and the SEC and ACC would be impenetrable.

Game over.
(This post was last modified: 03-26-2018 01:47 PM by JRsec.)
03-26-2018 01:41 PM
vandiver49 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: USNA/UTK

That article was a wangsty mess. The ACC compromised itself in order to destroy the BE as a CFB conference. But I didn't see Cuse, Pitt or BC saying no thank you when they received the invites. The only thing ACC needs to do is choose a semi-permanent home for the conference bball tourney that's north of Greensboro and south of NYC. Pick either DC or Philly and get to work on improving the football product.
03-26-2018 04:49 PM
Advertisement

XLance Offline
Hall of Famer

(03-26-2018 04:49 PM)vandiver49 Wrote:  

That article was a wangsty mess. The ACC compromised itself in order to destroy the BE as a CFB conference. But I didn't see Cuse, Pitt or BC saying no thank you when they received the invites. The only thing ACC needs to do is choose a semi-permanent home for the conference bball tourney that's north of Greensboro and south of NYC. Pick either DC or Philly and get to work on improving the football product.

Heresy!
03-26-2018 06:57 PM
XLance Offline
Hall of Famer

(03-26-2018 01:41 PM)JRsec Wrote:  
(03-26-2018 12:47 PM)ren.hoek Wrote:  

The game here ren is on the fringes. Just where can the Big 10 really go to add value? Oklahoma, Texas, Notre Dame, a Virginia or North Carolina school. The problem with all of those is that it would require some form of external pressure before they ever considered a move.

With the ACC the pressure could be economic, but that is an unknown. In 2010 the Big 10 hoped Maryland would provide that pressure, and it did, just not enough. Maryland was the weakest link in the ACC's armor. They were farther North, and had massive monetary woes.

So I would argue that the weakest links in the ACC today are in the Northeast. Boston College, Syracuse, and Pitt are all private or quasi private schools which probably need the additional revenue to remain viable.

Rutgers was a plucking of a Big 10 type school that could create instability in New England and the Northeast. Syracuse will feel the rise of Rutgers finances more than most of the other ACC schools. Penn State was part of the external pressure that Maryland was feeling.

In those two additions were what, if any, long term strategy the B1G had in 2010. Build up two schools within the footprint of the ACC and let time, pressure, and monetary disparity do its work.

What Delany failed to take into consideration was that the most expensive sport, football, was not as important to these schools as was basketball. So therefore their tolerance for economic disparity is much higher.

The Virginia and North Carolina schools have no concern over these matters right now. They have always had a disparity in income with their neighboring conferences, but they have always had non football interests so their threshold for feeling economic pressure is much higher as well.

Clemson and Florida State are building themselves up and remain close enough to the SEC to remain competitive.

The weakest links therefore, outside of Georgia Tech which is neutralized from the Big 10 by geography, and not profitable to the SEC, are in the Northeast. This is crucial because of the TV markets there. While their product is not crucial to the ACC's survival, the markets and the exposure the ACC gains there is.

Because of this Syracuse and Boston College, more so than Pitt, would be key grabs by Delany if he wanted to continue to destabilize the ACC. The airing of these kinds of stories merely provides a talking point around which an administration which could finance all of its sports more amenably by switching conferences, could gain public approval from their constituents if that angle is played up. Therefore the danger with these kinds of articles is that they can be turned into a prelude for movement.

If the ACC is destabilized it won't be by the SEC, but by the Big 10. The ACC really doesn't pose a threat to the SEC and is a nice buffer against the Big 10's eastward expansion hopes.

That said it would be very wise of the ACC to pursue larger markets elsewhere as a safety valve should a Syracuse or B.C. ever defect. For that reason pursuit of the Texas market would be smart and Texas and T.C.U. would be the targets that get the most bang out of the markets. Houston would also be key. To make that possible an expansion to 20 by the SEC and ACC would actually do more to secure the permanence of the ACC than anything else that could happen. I say 20 because to land Texas a division of their current home schedule would be a clincher.

So long range, both the SEC and ACC would be extremely secure should they decide to absorb the Big 12 between them. Why?

Those additions would raise the ACC to a competitive rate in TV revenue. They would insure the success of the ACCN because the Texas/Oklahoma market area comprises 34 million viewers who do watch weekly. And because it removes all of Delany's expansion targets. So it halts the Big 10's economic growth while growing that of the ACC and sating the SEC's desires for a cohesive buffer and new markets.

Should the ACC TV payouts approach 50 million there would be no lure for Syracuse and B.C.. In fact the roles would reverse and the island nature of Maryland and Penn State and Rutgers would actually put them at risk for future movement from the Big 10 for the sake of more local play.

The new SEC would essentially be the Old SEC as the Eastern division, and the new SEC Western division would essentially be members and friends of the old SWC minus Texas.

Why is the Big 10 so interested in Kansas and Oklahoma? Because that is their best future lure for Texas. The value of Texas and Oklahoma as a pair is almost equal to the entire value of the present ACC (not counting N.D.).

If you think the ACC could be vulnerable now should their revenue not increase dramatically, just let Oklahoma and Kansas, and later Texas fall into the Big 10's hands. There would literally be nothing that would stop them from cherry-picking the ACC apart after that.

So an abosrption of the Big 12 schools IMO is a necessary defensive move if we want our two conferences to remain insulated from outside interference. I cannot foresee the SEC's desire to grow further if something like this were to occur.

Oklahoma, Kansas, Iowa State, Oklahoma State, Texas Tech, and West Virginia to the SEC.

Baylor, Houston, Kansas State, Texas Christian, Texas, and Notre Dame to the ACC.

Kansas can play Kansas State out of conference if they share a conference with Missouri. K State plays solid basketball and better football than Kansas and would be better for the ACC in that regard than Kansas.

Texas Tech is a bridge too far for accessibility to the ACC. The rest of it is to give Texas their own division.

Once the access pathways Southward are cut off from the Big 10 realignment will end. The PAC is too remote for anything but a shared network with the Big 10 and a scheduling alliance and the SEC and ACC would be impenetrable.

Game over.

By absorbing the entire Big 12, it eliminates any potential problems by not leaving any school behind and the addition of the markets although limited outside of Texas gives the SECN and the ACCN plenty of inventory to fill up both conference channels and insures top dollar in the areas that appreciate collegiate sports.
Pods of 5 insure LOCAL interest, involvement and passion.
03-27-2018 06:29 PM
The Grassy Nole Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: FSU & Ohio U
(03-26-2018 01:41 PM)JRsec Wrote:  So an abosrption of the Big 12 schools IMO is a necessary defensive move if we want our two conferences to remain insulated from outside interference. I cannot foresee the SEC's desire to grow further if something like this were to occur.

Game over.

I just don't see Texas agreeing to join a conference where literally all of their rivals are in another league (OU, A&M, Tech, & Arkie). I know they can be arrogant but they aren't dumb. If Texas were to join the ACC, it would have to be with a few playmates in which the Longhorns actually care about (such as a SW group of Baylor, Tech, & Rice\ another). I don't believe Texas cares much for TCU tbh, they have left them behind before and I believe they would do it again.
04-06-2018 01:32 PM
AllTideUp Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Alabama
(04-06-2018 01:32 PM)The Grassy Nole Wrote:  
(03-26-2018 01:41 PM)JRsec Wrote:  So an abosrption of the Big 12 schools IMO is a necessary defensive move if we want our two conferences to remain insulated from outside interference. I cannot foresee the SEC's desire to grow further if something like this were to occur.

Game over.

I just don't see Texas agreeing to join a conference where literally all of their rivals are in another league (OU, A&M, Tech, & Arkie). I know they can be arrogant but they aren't dumb. If Texas were to join the ACC, it would have to be with a few playmates in which the Longhorns actually care about (such as a SW group of Baylor, Tech, & Rice\ another). I don't believe Texas cares much for TCU tbh, they have left them behind before and I believe they would do it again.

Del Conte probably cares for TCU though and his voice might sway some opinions. Probably wouldn't make much of a difference to anyone else who matters. Texas gets an extra game in DFW if TCU is on their slate every year.
04-06-2018 03:06 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.