Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)
Open TigerLinks

TJ Carter, Tito Windham want Memphis secondary to improve as leaders
Bookmark and Share
Beat Everybody Offline
Banned

I Root For: Those Tigers!
TJ Carter, Tito Windham want Memphis secondary to improve as leaders
It seems weird hearing TJ Carter talk about mentoring younger players in the Memphis secondary, given that Carter is only a sophomore.

Carter, however, said one of his goals for this season is to grow as a leader after starting every game as a true freshman and being named a Freshman All-American.

"I want to take a leadership role on the defense and start bringing them guys with me and get them to follow my lead," Carter said Tuesday after practice.

It's part of a collective maturity within the secondary. With Tito Windham one of only two seniors in the group, those who saw playing time last year have to take charge by default.

Windham said it's a role the returners have dived into headfirst and leading by example.

"You got to be the example," Windham said. "You can speak but you got to show up. And I know I got to show up and lead every day and bring the same energy out here for them to learn off of and bring when it’s their turn."

Memphis coach Mike Norvell said he wants to see more out of both Carter and Windham after a season where Carter had five interceptions and Windham forced three fumbles.

Carter echoed the sentiments, saying he doesn't want to hit a wall next year or get overconfident. He also bonded quickly with new defensive backs coach TJ Rushing, who has constantly been in his ear on the field telling him how he can get better.

"I really like him because he’s like my size, he played in the league and knows a lot of good things," Carter said, "He’s on me all the time."

It was a mixed week for the defensive backs to start practice. Monday saw them mostly dominated by the wide receivers, but Tuesday, they had multiple interceptions and pass deflections, looking more like the unit that had 15 interceptions last season.

It's all a part of growing up and with a secondary young in age but old in game experience, they know that leadership starts by example and not just only by improving your own skills.

"When you’re a leader, you gotta be able to lead and bring somebody with you," Windham said. "So if you’re scared to do that, you ain’t ready for the task. I’m never worried about that.

https://www.commercialappeal.com/story/s...447918002/
03-22-2018 03:14 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

jsw3ent Offline
Heisman

I Root For: memphis
RE: TJ Carter, Tito Windham want Memphis secondary to improve as leaders
thanks
03-23-2018 01:13 AM
tmoneyinmphs Offline
Mt.org's DJ wannabe

I Root For: Memphis Tigers
RE: TJ Carter, Tito Windham want Memphis secondary to improve as leaders
03-23-2018 04:09 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.