Cincinnati Bearcats

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

OT: Mack to UL rumors
Bookmark and Share
TubaCat Offline
1st Chair

I Root For: Bearcats, tubas
OT: Mack to UL rumors
I've seen some UC folks on Twitter and BCJ saying confidently that as of today, UL has chosen Mack to be their next head coach. He will allegedly have a $5 million per year, 10 year contract.

Anyone else have any info from reputable people?

(This post was last modified: 03-21-2018 09:54 AM by TubaCat.)
03-21-2018 09:53 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Cataclysmo Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Cincinnat
RE: OT: Mack to UL rumors
Sucks for Xavier if true. They'll lose their HC AND best senior class. That's rough.

03-21-2018 10:26 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
JackieTreehorn Offline
Heisman

I Root For: The Bearcats
Worst kept secret in the world right up there with the BK to ND. Been hearing this was a back channel done-deal months ago.

03-21-2018 10:32 AM
OKIcat Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Cincinnati
Heard Moe and his sidekick James on 1530 while driving home yesterday afternoon chatting about a private jet from Louisville to Cincinnati and figured it was just more idle speculation. If this rumor is true, one has to wonder how Mick feels having coached there and not even being on a candidate list. Humbling to say the least.

Interestingly, tangential to that conversation, James, a UC graduate, came right out and said he's an X fan, except one day a year. No big surprise there. Whenever he was filling in on 1530 or 700 it was all X, all the time.

(This post was last modified: 03-21-2018 10:35 AM by OKIcat.)
03-21-2018 10:34 AM
Cataclysmo Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Cincinnat
Both Mo and James are fans of both programs

03-21-2018 10:48 AM
bearcatmark Offline

I Root For: the Deliverator
(03-21-2018 10:48 AM)Cataclysmo Wrote:  Both Mo and James are fans of both programs

Eh... Mo seems to like when X does well but never struck me as a fan. James went to UC but seems to want to talk X every chance he gets. He honestly doesn't seem like much of a UC guy when I listen.

03-21-2018 10:56 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Def Berkkat Offline
1st String

I Root For: UC
(03-21-2018 10:34 AM)OKIcat Wrote:  Heard Moe and his sidekick James on 1530 while driving home yesterday afternoon chatting about a private jet from Louisville to Cincinnati and figured it was just more idle speculation. If this rumor is true, one has to wonder how Mick feels having coached there and not even being on a candidate list. Humbling to say the least.

Interestingly, tangential to that conversation, James, a UC graduate, came right out and said he's an X fan, except one day a year. No big surprise there. Whenever he was filling in on 1530 or 700 it was all X, all the time.

Maybe school six simply feels that Mack is more experienced in doing things "their way".

Clean candidates need not apply.

03-21-2018 11:15 AM
bearcatmill Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
(03-21-2018 11:15 AM)Def Berkkat Wrote:  
(03-21-2018 10:34 AM)OKIcat Wrote:  Heard Moe and his sidekick James on 1530 while driving home yesterday afternoon chatting about a private jet from Louisville to Cincinnati and figured it was just more idle speculation. If this rumor is true, one has to wonder how Mick feels having coached there and not even being on a candidate list. Humbling to say the least.

Maybe school six simply feels that Mack is more experienced in doing things "their way".

Clean candidates need not apply.

Mack also has a better resume and is removed from the Pitino coaching tree.

03-21-2018 11:20 AM
dsquare Offline
All American

I Root For: Cincy
50mm crazy money, i'll believe that when i see it. Strike while the iron is hot.

03-21-2018 11:35 AM
Bearhawkeye Offline
The King of Breakfast

I Root For: Zinzinnati
(03-21-2018 09:53 AM)TubaCat Wrote:  I've seen some UC folks on Twitter and BCJ saying confidently that as of today, UL has chosen Mack to be their next head coach. He will allegedly have a $5 million per year, 10 year contract.

Anyone else have any info from reputable people?

I've posted several times here that I've heard Mack is their top target and that he'll probably take it (although it's not a done deal) given the money they are offering. BTW, I heard it might be closer to $6M/year.

03-21-2018 11:58 AM
Crewdogz Offline
I'm Your Huckleberry

I Root For: America
Donators
Heard X is trying to put together a package paying him $3.2M which is double his current salary

03-21-2018 12:50 PM
Advertisement

Marcus Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
Can't imagine he'd stay at X if Louisville offers him the job. Pay will go way up both for himself and his assistants, plus the overall facilities and support staff at U of L blows X out of the water.

03-21-2018 01:08 PM
jarr Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Not "Not Duane"
Has Mick ever been considered for any other jobs, that were seen as a stepup? I'm not counting UNLV, because that was a step down IMO, and I think that was more a power move than anything.

03-21-2018 01:15 PM
bearcatmark Offline

I Root For: the Deliverator
(03-21-2018 01:15 PM)jarr Wrote:  Has Mick ever been considered for any other jobs, that were seen as a stepup? I'm not counting UNLV, because that was a step down IMO, and I think that was more a power move than anything.

I don't think there have been any other clear step up jobs. There have been some jobs in major conferences to my recollection, but nothing that was an obvious step up from UC.

03-21-2018 01:19 PM
TubaCat Offline
1st Chair

I Root For: Bearcats, tubas
(03-21-2018 01:15 PM)jarr Wrote:  Has Mick ever been considered for any other jobs, that were seen as a stepup? I'm not counting UNLV, because that was a step down IMO, and I think that was more a power move than anything.

The rumor is that Pitt is currently offering Hurley over $3 million/year. If Hurley decides to go to UConn, I think that Mick would become a very appealing choice to put out the dumpster fire at Pitt.

Would they offer Mick over $3 million/year?
And if they do, would we make a counter offer?

I don't know if we can afford to, considering that Mick's performance here hasn't yet justified that sort of salary.

03-21-2018 01:35 PM
OKIcat Offline
Heisman

(03-21-2018 12:50 PM)Crewdogz Wrote:  Heard X is trying to put together a package paying him $3.2M which is double his current salary

If true, they must be banking on a couple of major donors to underwrite the deal. Coaching at this level is a different gig--truly "up or out" so many times.

So say Mack takes that deal to stay at his home school, X drops back next season and misses the Tournament and then loses in the first round the following year. Would he then be getting a $5-6 million offer somewhere else, with his seat getting hotter in Norwood? Probably not.

We fans can lament lack of loyalty all we want but if it's my career, with the stroke of a pen today I can create generational wealth for my family for decades to come. And if ego drives the bus, winning that NCAA title at Louisville looks a lot easier than it does at a small, private university up the road that's never reached a Final Four.

03-21-2018 01:41 PM
Advertisement

OKIcat Offline
Heisman

(03-21-2018 01:35 PM)TubaCat Wrote:  

The rumor is that Pitt is currently offering Hurley over $3 million/year. If Hurley decides to go to UConn, I think that Mick would become a very appealing choice to put out the dumpster fire at Pitt.

Would they offer Mick over $3 million/year?
And if they do, would we make a counter offer?

I don't know if we can afford to, considering that Mick's performance here hasn't yet justified that sort of salary.

Bolded, pure speculation here on my part. If it's up to Bohn, absolutely not. He'll go shop for an up and comer.

I hear Nevada's got a pretty good coach who could double his earnings at UC. :)

03-21-2018 01:44 PM
Former Lurker Offline
All American

I Root For: UC...who else?

Easy to see why. U of L does not want a "system coach" who has figured out a way to get overlooked recruits to play D and compete with the big boys. Instead, they want a coach who will stock a roster with top-tier NBA talent and be one of the big boys. Mack recruits better to X than Cronin does to UC. Cronin has never given any indication that he can recruit the kind of talent U of L expects.

03-21-2018 01:44 PM
UCinNKY Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Cincinnati Bear
I don't see anyway Mick leaves for Pitt of all places. Didn't they just have their entire team transfer? I just don't see it. Plus factoring in what happened, I don't see many AD's pounding down UC's door.

03-21-2018 01:54 PM
Marcus Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
I've heard Pitt's AD has an absolutely horrible reputation among coaches and is extremely difficult to work for. I guess a lot of $$ can make those issues go away quickly for a potential candidate, but I'm not sure that is a place coaches are going to be clamoring to go work at.

03-21-2018 01:57 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.