Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

OT: UVA WBB Coach Retires
Bookmark and Share
dukes13 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Dukes of JMU
OT: UVA WBB Coach Retires
Joanne Boyle finally makes the NCAA Tourney with the Wahoos, wins a first round game, and...retires??

Odd timing. Attractive job. If we still had Kenny, have to believe they would be knocking this go around. Will be interesting to see who’s on their short list...a lot people will think Staley but don’t know if she will leave USC.
03-20-2018 05:12 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Wear Purple Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: JMU
RE: OT: UVA WBB Coach Retires
(03-20-2018 05:12 PM)dukes13 Wrote:  Joanne Boyle finally makes the NCAA Tourney with the Wahoos, wins a first round game, and...retires??

Odd timing. Attractive job. If we still had Kenny, have to believe they would be knocking this go around. Will be interesting to see who’s on their short list...a lot people will think Staley but don’t know if she will leave USC.

NBC29-Charlottesville just reported that there is a family matter she needs to attend to that will require extended time away from the program. Tim Taylor is a terrific assistant coach. Not sure he is a candidate, but whoever takes the head job should retain him.
03-20-2018 05:26 PM
Wear Purple Offline
Hall of Famer

One more thing...Samantha Brunelle, the Gatorade HS POTY for Va is sitting in UVA’s backyard and is the top recruit in the nation for the Class of ‘19. It will be interesting to see if or how this might affect that recruitment.
03-20-2018 06:54 PM
Advertisement

dukes13 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Dukes of JMU
Tim Taylor is a great one...he was really successful as the Madison County HS coach too.

Brunelle is likely going to UConn, but UVA could steal her. Will be interesting to see
03-20-2018 08:11 PM
jmufan2008 Offline
All American

I Root For: The Dukes
From what I've heard from a few fans and from sitting about 8 rows back from the bench in a game this year...she sits on her hands most of the game and many fans will be fine to see her go. They should've gotten Kenny when they had the chance. Will be interested to see who they get to replace her.
03-20-2018 10:26 PM
Advertisement

olderduke Offline
1st String

I Root For: Dukes
(03-20-2018 05:26 PM)Wear Purple Wrote:  
(03-20-2018 05:12 PM)dukes13 Wrote:  Joanne Boyle finally makes the NCAA Tourney with the Wahoos, wins a first round game, and...retires??

NBC29-Charlottesville just reported that there is a family matter she needs to attend to that will require extended time away from the program. Tim Taylor is a terrific assistant coach. Not sure he is a candidate, but whoever takes the head job should retain him.
You are spot on about Coach Taylor.

Sent from my VS988 using CSNbbs mobile app
03-21-2018 06:34 AM
orange-to-purple Offline
1st String

I Root For: Tennessee, JMU,
Mildly curious as to what the "family matter is". I wonder if she is adopting another child....there was a lot of griping about the amount of time the adoption of her daughter took her away from the program. Some felt it hurt the program.(Ngoty is now an adorable, well-adjusted 6 year old) Or do I recall that she also has an elderly parent who may need care? Anyway, wishing her the best.

There was some speculation that UVA might go after Dawn Staley, but it was pointed out that Staley has a 2 year extension on her contract and UVA likely would not want to pay the buyout, let alone match the salary SC pays her which is in the $550K range...never mind that UVA has more $$$ than any public university ought to, as The Man often grumps when they come after him for more (he doesn't give to them). Someone did point out that UCLA's Cori Close is at the end of her contract, if UVA wants to look west again.
03-21-2018 03:49 PM
Advertisement

Wear Purple Offline
Hall of Famer

FWIW, UVA's new AD hires Tina Thompson as WBB HC... https://news.virginia.edu/content/tina-t...ball-coach
04-17-2018 06:15 AM
orange-to-purple Offline
1st String

I Root For: Tennessee, JMU,
(03-21-2018 06:34 AM)olderduke Wrote:  
(03-20-2018 05:26 PM)Wear Purple Wrote:  

You are spot on about Coach Taylor.

Sent from my VS988 using CSNbbs mobile app

If you have caught up with this, the reason she retired is due to issues with the adoption of her daughter, who is from Senegal. She has to return to Senegal with the child and doesn't know how long they will be gone or how long it will take to resolve the issues, and didn't think it would be fair to the team or the university to put them on hold for the time it will lkely take. I think that is very fair and wish them well. (Apparently Sen. Warner's office is assisting them, which is also a good thing.) No doubt Coach Boyle will resurface somewhere upon her return!

In the meantime, UVA has hired former USC and WNBA star Tina Thompson as their new head coach. While Tina doesn't have any HC experience, she does have some AC stints, most recently at Texas with Karen Aston, and she has undeniable star power. It will be interesting to see how she uses that star power to develop UVA and how she works out as a head coach. This could be a great hire or a disaster.
04-19-2018 09:25 AM
Wear Purple Offline
Hall of Famer

A little off topic, but I saw a re-tweet by Josh Walfish that Elon top asst, Christy McKinney, is retiring. That's a huge loss as I think she was doing a lot of the coaching at that rising program.
05-04-2018 06:44 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.