Cincinnati Bearcats

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

So many questions for Mick right now, but this one is really burning me...
Bookmark and Share
jarr Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Not "Not Duane"
You leave the game in the hands of Cane Broome? Unbelievable. JE3 disappearing act was quite astonishing down the stretch. I think the leaving early talk has to be gone right?

03-18-2018 07:58 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

CallMeSlim Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Cincinnati
RE: So many questions for Mick right now, but this one is really burning me...
(03-18-2018 07:58 PM)jarr Wrote:  You leave the game in the hands of Cane Broome? Unbelievable. JE3 disappearing act was quite astonishing down the stretch. I think the leaving early talk has to be gone right?

it looked like cane was supposed to get to that point and dump it off. but nobody was open. not sure what the full design was.

03-18-2018 08:01 PM
scvanguard1 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Cincy, Oklahoma
(03-18-2018 08:01 PM)CallMeSlim Wrote:  
(03-18-2018 07:58 PM)jarr Wrote:  You leave the game in the hands of Cane Broome? Unbelievable. JE3 disappearing act was quite astonishing down the stretch. I think the leaving early talk has to be gone right?

it looked like cane was supposed to get to that point and dump it off. but nobody was open. not sure what the full design was.

He dribbled the ball off the leg of one of the defenders and had to track it down. By then, they had collapsed on him.

03-19-2018 11:52 AM
AABearcat Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: UC
The last possession was very poor, but I think the one before that where Evans forced up a shot to get the 2 for 1 situation might have been a worse possession.

(This post was last modified: 03-19-2018 12:01 PM by AABearcat.)
03-19-2018 12:01 PM
BearcatMan Offline
Kicking Connoisseur/Occasional Man Crush

(03-19-2018 12:01 PM)AABearcat Wrote:  The last possession was very poor, but I think the one before that where Evans forced up a shot to get the 2 for 1 situation might have been a worse possession.

At the very least I figured he'd pull up from 10...can't believe he tried to fight with the big guys.

Biggest problem was the rebounding letting us down in the later stages. I think they had 4ORebs during their run (including one on the winning possession) and our work on the offensive glass started throttling down.

03-19-2018 12:09 PM
bearcatfan Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: The Bearcats!
(03-18-2018 08:01 PM)CallMeSlim Wrote:  

Broome was the only one down there. He got there so fast all the other Bearcats were lagging behind.

03-19-2018 12:13 PM
Advertisement

AABearcat Offline
Bench Warmer

(03-19-2018 12:09 PM)BearcatMan Wrote:  
(03-19-2018 12:01 PM)AABearcat Wrote:  The last possession was very poor, but I think the one before that where Evans forced up a shot to get the 2 for 1 situation might have been a worse possession.

At the very least I figured he'd pull up from 10...can't believe he tried to fight with the big guys.

Biggest problem was the rebounding letting us down in the later stages. I think they had 4ORebs during their run (including one on the winning possession) and our work on the offensive glass started throttling down.

Great point. We stopped rebounding and they did a better job rebounding on the defensive end. Plus we stopped shooting lights out and they got hot. Bad combo no matter who you're playing.

03-19-2018 12:13 PM
bearcatmark Online

I Root For: the Deliverator

I've said it in a couple threads, but I think the difference in our rebounding was almost entirely a function of us allowing the game to become pick up basketball the last 12 minutes. We let Nevada dictate how we played offense...stopped running our stuff and as a result our guys weren't in the rebounding position they had been in all game. Additionally, we weren't in position on defense and allowed them to play their free style game instead of working hard for difficult shots. By getting us scrambling it opened things up for them on the glass... just a total failure to stick with what had built them the huge lead.

Nevada was bound to make a few runs. They have scoring wings that make plays. They made a couple first half runs, but each time UC stuck with the gameplan and executed. They stayed in position on defense and continued to make Nevada work for difficult shots. When Nevada made run down 22, UC panicked and got out of what they had done all game. Just brutal in every way.

03-19-2018 12:36 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Def Berkkat Offline
1st String

I don't blame Broome and I don't blame Cronin for giving him the ball to get down the court. It looked like to me everyone else just froze and left him hanging.

03-19-2018 01:00 PM
Marcus Offline
Heisman

I Root For:

All of this. Evans completely disappeared on the offensive end down the stretch. Despite being trapped/doubled at times he still had some easy looks and missed everything. Same with everyone else who put up a shot in the final 10 minutes.

Like Mark said rebounding went out the window when we fells into Nevada's trap of letting the game turn into pickup ball. They left our bad shooters wide open and didn't even bother to account for them and those guys started jacking up shots and unsurprisingly they couldn't make any.

I just can't get over the fact that Musselman even said in his post-game, the last 10 minutes they decided to trap/double Evans and were fine playing 3 on 4 against the rest of the team and UC was totally unable to take advantage of that. Instead of running an offense to exploit that UC just tried to run down the shot clock and let one of the bad shooters jack up a shot. It just shows how poorly UC has done in recruiting and landing guys who can hit shots from the outside.

(This post was last modified: 03-19-2018 01:10 PM by Marcus.)
03-19-2018 01:04 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
bearcatmark Online

(03-19-2018 01:04 PM)Marcus Wrote:  

All of this. Evans completely disappeared on the offensive end down the stretch. Despite being trapped/doubled at times he had some easy looks and missed everything. Same with everyone else who put up a shot in the final 10 minutes. I just can't get over the fact that Musselman even said in his post-game, the last 10 minutes they decided to trap/double Evans and play 3 on 4 against the rest of the team and UC could not take advantage of that. It just shows how poorly UC has done in recruiting and landing guys who can hit shots from the outside.

That;s exactly what they did and it caused UC to panic and play quickly instead of using it to their advantage to get guys the ball inside and to crash the glass. If Evans is getting doubled you have to get paint touches and you have get offensive rebounds on your misses. They sped us up and really made Broome make a lot of decisions.

(This post was last modified: 03-19-2018 01:08 PM by bearcatmark.)
03-19-2018 01:08 PM
Advertisement

Marcus Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
(03-19-2018 01:08 PM)bearcatmark Wrote:  

All of this. Evans completely disappeared on the offensive end down the stretch. Despite being trapped/doubled at times he had some easy looks and missed everything. Same with everyone else who put up a shot in the final 10 minutes. I just can't get over the fact that Musselman even said in his post-game, the last 10 minutes they decided to trap/double Evans and play 3 on 4 against the rest of the team and UC could not take advantage of that. It just shows how poorly UC has done in recruiting and landing guys who can hit shots from the outside.

That;s exactly what they did and it caused UC to panic and play quickly instead of using it to their advantage to get guys the ball inside and to crash the glass. If Evans is getting doubled you have to get paint touches and you have get offensive rebounds on your misses. They sped us up and really made Broome make a lot of decisions.

Exactly. They exploited our two biggest weaknesses by doing that. Our poor outside shooting and our poorly run/executed offense. Both Broome and Jennifer were brutal down the stretch. Jennifer bricked a layup and missed several completely wide open/uncovered jump shots, so he goes out, Broome comes in and looks completely lost and hesitant. Biggest weakness on this team all year has been PG play and it showed and it's why the season's over.

03-19-2018 01:15 PM
bww Offline
McCuse

I Root For: Bearcats
No adjustments either. It boggles the mind that they couldn't talk this over and exploit it after a time out.

03-19-2018 01:18 PM
BearcatMan Offline
Kicking Connoisseur/Occasional Man Crush

Hell, if you look at the time when we were up 22 and apply a 50% shooting clip for Nevada on possessions...if we took a shot clock violation on every one of our possessions and get every defensive rebound from a miss I really don't think they would've been able to make up the difference over 10 minutes. That's the saddest part of all of this...we literally didn't need to do anything and we would've won.

03-19-2018 01:27 PM
Marcus Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
(03-19-2018 01:27 PM)BearcatMan Wrote:  

Hell, if you look at the time when we were up 22 and apply a 50% shooting clip for Nevada on possessions...if we took a shot clock violation on every one of our possessions and get every defensive rebound from a miss I really don't think they would've been able to make up the difference over 10 minutes. That's the saddest part of all of this...we literally didn't need to do anything and we would've won.

You are absolutely correct. I was actually thinking that during the game yesterday.

03-19-2018 01:36 PM
bearcatmark Online

(03-19-2018 01:27 PM)BearcatMan Wrote:  

Yup... exactly my point. We let Nevada speed us up and turn it into pickup basketball. They have guys suited for that scramble and needed us to play out of character to win. We played into their hands for no reason. Again..up 22 with 11 minutes left...we take a shot late in the shot clock with guys in rebounding position and we make them play in the half court on defense we probably don't even need to score to win.

03-19-2018 01:37 PM
Advertisement

bearcat54 Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
it wasn't just long shots but UC missed layups and 5 footers. Happens alot to UC over the years, even Huggins era. What's the answer? do you want CRONIN' s staff to cheat and bring in one and dones? end up seeing many players arrested off campus? i believe that eventually all of this will even out and UC will start getting some breaks sometime in the future. Cronin is doing a lot of things right. Why upset the egg basket? Keep suppoting UC and someday it will pay off.
then again, some of the fans in here will probably complain that UC isn't in 8 final fours in a row when that happens.

Sent from my RCT6513W87 using CSNbbs mobile app

03-20-2018 11:27 AM
bearcat54 Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
(03-20-2018 11:27 AM)bearcat54 Wrote:  it wasn't just long shots but UC missed layups and 5 footers. Happens alot to UC over the years, even Huggins era. What's the answer? do you want CRONIN' s staff to cheat and bring in one and dones? end up seeing many players arrested off campus? i believe that eventually all of this will even out and UC will start getting some breaks sometime in the future. Cronin is doing a lot of things right. Why upset the egg basket? Keep suppoting UC and someday it will pay off.
then again, some of the fans in here will probably complain that UC isn't in 8 final fours in a row when that happens.

03-20-2018 11:29 AM
CincyBro Offline
All American

I Root For: " NO GOR "
Everything said on these last two pages point to one thing and one thing only.....

03-20-2018 11:48 AM
gerhard911 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Bearcats!
(03-20-2018 11:48 AM)CincyBro Wrote:  Everything said on these last two pages point to one thing and one thing only.....

That we were out-coached 03-idea ?

03-20-2018 11:50 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.