Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Slightly less s***ty new media contracts
Bookmark and Share
HarborPointe Offline
North American Champion

I Root For: Southern Miss
Slightly less s***ty new media contracts
http://www.hattiesburgamerican.com/story...429479002/

9 football games plus the championship and 8 basketball games plus the semifinals on of the hoops tournament will be on CBS Sports Network. CBSSN will also produce 3 football and 6 hoops games for facebook. 15 football games and 17 men’s basketball games plus the quarterfinals of the tournament will be on Stadium, who will pass on 3 of the football and 6 of the basketball games to facebook. Renewal with BeIn is probable but pending

The ODU media outlet is reporting double the money (such as it is) per school, and Gilbert says schools will no longer be on the hook for production costs.
(This post was last modified: 03-17-2018 02:16 PM by HarborPointe.)
03-17-2018 11:22 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Reggie Favre Offline
All American

RE: Slightly less s***ty new media contracts
Again, as ive been preaching for years.....lets just go independent ffs.
03-17-2018 11:31 AM
EagNBran Offline
All American

That's financial suicide for us. Who do you play in the middle of conference season? Do you think teams are going to come to your place? I don't see this fascination some of you have with Independence. Thirty to forty years ago it would have worked, but there aren't enough Independents left to make it happen now. We are not a big enough brand to make it work. We mineaswell drop to D3 if we do that, because that'll be our financial level.
03-18-2018 02:56 PM
Advertisement

stinkfist Offline
nuts zongo's in the house

I Root For: Mustard Buzzards
(03-18-2018 02:56 PM)EagNBran Wrote:  That's financial suicide for us. Who do you play in the middle of conference season? Do you think teams are going to come to your place? I don't see this fascination some of you have with Independence. Thirty to forty years ago it would have worked, but there aren't enough Independents left to make it happen now. We are not a big enough brand to make it work. We mineaswell drop to D3 if we do that, because that'll be our financial level.

not only would it be financial suicide, but too many forget how few home games we had when we were indy....

going indy isn't an option in any capacity....I pondered that one back in '11 when realignment began to unfold and quickly decided "not a snowballs unless we want to play swac h/h every year"

#notanoption
03-18-2018 07:01 PM
Eagle9 Offline
Special Teams

The biggest problem with going Indy would be scheduling. A lot of conferences are playing 9 conference games a year now. It would be tough for us to even fill out a 12 game schedule without 2 or 3 FCS games on it. We could probably get 3 or 4 money games a year at SEC or ACC schools. But then what are you gonna do with the other 8 games ? We’d proabably be lucky to even get 5 home games most years.

There are a lot of logistical problems that would come with being an independent. Our situation right now isn’t good by any means. But those that say “go independent, how much worse could it be”, clearly haven’t thought out the details of what that would mean.
(This post was last modified: 03-18-2018 10:36 PM by Eagle9.)
03-18-2018 07:14 PM
Advertisement

RockTheRock Offline
Special Teams

If you think we should be independent, you should have your degree revoked. Period.
03-18-2018 07:28 PM
BeagleUSM Offline
Thrillsville

There was a part of me during this past football season where I thought it’d be viable. I came to my senses soon after.
(This post was last modified: 03-18-2018 07:33 PM by BeagleUSM.)
03-18-2018 07:33 PM
Advertisement

gdunn Offline
Repping E-Gang Colors

Survivor Champion
Indy isn't ideal for us. While USM was known as giant slayers years ago unfortunately right now we're not that team anymore or at the moment. As much as we all b&m about CUSA it's our best option. Does it suck to see old conference mates in excellent conferences? It does but unfortunately Hattiesburg doesn't have the TV area of a Tulane, Louisville, Cincinnati, etc. Our other two schools up north didn't do us any favors many moons ago as it pertains to conferences or funding.
03-21-2018 09:26 AM
HarborPointe Offline
North American Champion

(03-21-2018 09:26 AM)gdunn Wrote:  Indy isn't ideal for us. While USM was known as giant slayers years ago unfortunately right now we're not that team anymore or at the moment. As much as we all b&m about CUSA it's our best option. Does it suck to see old conference mates in excellent conferences? It does but unfortunately Hattiesburg doesn't have the TV area of a Tulane, Louisville, Cincinnati, etc. Our other two schools up north didn't do us any favors many moons ago as it pertains to conferences or funding.

The media market issue isn’t nearly the detriment that our funding and the state of the coliseum are. Blaming stuff we can’t change is a cop-out. What holds us back is the stuff we could change. If we had a $35M budget and an up-to-date arena, nobody would care about the size of Greater Hattiesburg.
03-21-2018 12:07 PM
Advertisement

Up2stuff Offline
Special Teams

(03-21-2018 09:26 AM)gdunn Wrote:  Indy isn't ideal for us. While USM was known as giant slayers years ago unfortunately right now we're not that team anymore or at the moment. As much as we all b&m about CUSA it's our best option. Does it suck to see old conference mates in excellent conferences? It does but unfortunately Hattiesburg doesn't have the TV area of a Tulane, Louisville, Cincinnati, etc. Our other two schools up north didn't do us any favors many moons ago as it pertains to conferences or funding.

Just wondering what you mean by this statement. The first thing that came to my mind is - "why should they do us any favors?". What we do should be on our admin and our fans, not them. Did I miss something? Don't get me wrong, I'm well aware of the fact that they not only did us no favors, but they did everything they could to belittle us. However, assuming the tables were turned, I wouldn't do any favors for them either.

Politicians on the other hand are elected to serve the entire state, and should have the best interest of the state in mind regardless of what University they may have attended. In this sense, they should want all universities to be in the best possible situation to bring money into the state.
03-21-2018 03:41 PM
Eagle9 Offline
Special Teams

That’s just it. They had the power and belittled us as much as they could. It hurt us from the start. Yes we would have done the same to them. But that’s not the point. He was just stating that it was a factor that put us behind the 8 ball.
03-21-2018 08:33 PM
Black Diamond Reb Offline
1st String

I Root For: Ole Miss / USM
Those mean ole schools up north.
03-22-2018 08:55 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.