Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

FIU Bridge Collapse
texd Offline
Weirdly (but seductively) meaty

I Root For: acorns & such

The Parliament AwardsNew Orleans BowlCrappiesDonatorsThe Parliament Awards
FIU Bridge Collapse
A brand new (constructed offsite and installed over the weekend) pedestrian bridge at FIU collapsed today. There were no pedestrians on it as it was not open yet for pedestrian traffic, but it appears to have crushed several cars on the road beneath it:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/grad...g-several/
03-15-2018 03:05 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Fort Bend Owl Offline
Legend

I Root For: An easy win
The Parliament Awards
RE: FIU Bridge Collapse
Awful news. The lead construction firm on that bridge is in a world of trouble I suspect.
03-15-2018 04:32 PM
RiceLad15 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Rice Owls
(03-15-2018 04:32 PM)Fort Bend Owl Wrote:  Awful news. The lead construction firm on that bridge is in a world of trouble I suspect.

Or the design engineer.

Could be included in engineering or construction textbooks for a while.
03-15-2018 04:37 PM
texd Offline
Weirdly (but seductively) meaty

I Root For: acorns & such

The Parliament AwardsNew Orleans BowlCrappiesDonatorsThe Parliament Awards
(03-15-2018 04:37 PM)RiceLad15 Wrote:  
(03-15-2018 04:32 PM)Fort Bend Owl Wrote:  Awful news. The lead construction firm on that bridge is in a world of trouble I suspect.

Or the design engineer.

Could be included in engineering or construction textbooks for a while.

Apparently there was also an engineering firm stress-testing it today.
03-15-2018 04:58 PM
Advertisement

Fort Bend Owl Offline
Legend

I Root For: An easy win
The Parliament Awards
[Image: ?url=http%3A%2F%2Fmedia.beam.usnews.com%..._71939.jpg]

Is it common practice to have a stress test on a device like that while cars are moving along underneath it?

Also, another question for the engineers out there. Why do you need a 950 ton bridge for something so seemingly simple as a pedestrian bridge? From this photo, it just seems way too big for something that could have been much smaller and lighter?? Although I guess you can see they were eventually going to have it stretch over the narrow water canal in this photo so that's why I guess it had to be so heavy and large.
(This post was last modified: 03-16-2018 06:20 AM by Fort Bend Owl.)
03-16-2018 06:16 AM
Owl-88 Offline
All American

I Root For: Rice
(03-16-2018 06:16 AM)Fort Bend Owl Wrote:  Is it common practice to have a stress test on a device like that while cars are moving along underneath it?

Also, another question for the engineers out there. Why do you need a 950 ton bridge for something so seemingly simple as a pedestrian bridge? From this photo, it just seems way too big for something that could have been much smaller and lighter?? Although I guess you can see they were eventually going to have it stretch over the narrow water canal in this photo so that's why I guess it had to be so heavy and large.

Not sure about how common it is to do these tests with traffic present (likely not too unusual) but this is not a typical design/fabrication/installation and the structure was far from complete. To your second question, there was no need for such an elaborate structure. It's just a pedestrian bridge. But they wanted to show off their accelerated bridge construction techniques and have an eye-catching design.
03-16-2018 01:42 PM
Frizzy Owl Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Rice
It was going to be a sort of pedestrian mall thing, wider than a simple bridge, with benches and tables under the canopy that ran the length of the span.

In the footage of the collapse it appears to have cracked near one end and broken in two.

My guess is a mistake in the transport or the lift that caused it to flex or droop at one end. That's a long span of ungirded concrete to move and lift in one piece.
(This post was last modified: 03-16-2018 03:44 PM by Frizzy Owl.)
03-16-2018 03:42 PM
WoodlandsOwl Offline
Up in the Woods

I Root For: Rice Owls
New Orleans Bowl
Bridge was built on site and pivoted/rotated around and placed on pilings on the opposite side of the street..

Ooops...

A lead engineer responsible for a pedestrian bridge that collapsed near Miami left a voice-mail message for a state transportation official warning of “some cracking” two days before the structure crashed, state officials said Friday night.

The engineer with the private contractor FIGG Bridge Engineers did not consider it a safety issue, he said in the call. The message was not retrieved until Friday because the Florida Department of Transportation official to whom the voice mail was directed was out of the office on assignment, the state agency said. The message about the bridge being built to connect Florida International University with a neighboring city was left on a land line.

“Hey Tom, this is Denney Pate with FIGG bridge engineers. Calling to, uh, share with you some information about the FIU pedestrian bridge and some cracking that’s been observed on the north end of the span, the pylon end of that span we moved this weekend,” the engineer said, according to a transcript of the call released by the Florida Department of Transportation.

Um, so, uh, we’ve taken a look at it and, uh, obviously some repairs or whatever will have to be done but from a safety perspective we don’t see that there’s any issue there so we’re not concerned about it from that perspective although obviously the cracking is not good and something’s going to have to be, ya know, done to repair that.”

FIGG Bridge Engineers, which designed the span, promised in a statement Friday night it is “carefully examining the steps that our team has taken in the interest of our overarching concern for public safety.”

The company added — in an apparent reference to its engineer’s conclusion that safety was not an issue — that “the evaluation was based on the best available information at that time.”

The company’s statement said employees are “heartbroken by the loss of life,” and pledged: “We will pursue answers to find out what factors led to this tragic situation.”

Pate did not immediately return a call seeking comment.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/grad...c2203bbc5d
03-16-2018 10:59 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.