UAB Blazers

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Shooting tonight at UAB South Highland Hospital leaves 2 dead
BAMANBLAZERFAN Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UAB & Bama

BlazerTalk Award
Shooting tonight at UAB South Highland Hospital leaves 2 dead
Will our political leaders now call for doctors and nurses to carry guns (like they propose for teachers)?
03-14-2018 10:31 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

the_blazerman Offline
Legend

I Root For: UAB
RE: Shooting tonight at UAB South Highland Hospital leaves 2 dead
disgruntled employee who was about to be fired comes back & kills one and severely injures another.
03-15-2018 10:15 AM
DragonClaw Offline
1st String

I Root For: UAB Blazers
I guess we need to add doctors and nurses to the same list as teachers of professions that need to go to work strapped. 03-weeping
03-15-2018 11:26 AM
Advertisement

BlazerFromMD Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UAB, USNA
Sounds like a good idea to me. No one said anything about forcing teachers to carry. However, those who are capable should be allowed to carry.

Gun free zones only protect criminals.

http://insider.foxnews.com/2014/07/25/wo...lth-center
03-15-2018 12:11 PM
Pavy78 Offline
Special Teams

Name a gun law that would have prevented this from occurring? If the shooter was a n average Joe with no criminal history, he obtained the gun legally. He flipped when he got terminated by the employer. No law would have prevented it. It is evil. It will always be here.
03-15-2018 12:13 PM
Advertisement

mixduptransistor Offline
Hall of Famer

When I worked at UAB (school side not medical side) we had a guy we thought might go nuts when they were gonna let him go. UAB PD, even in 2011 or whenever it was, was pretty prepared for that kind of situation and handled it well. Dude did okay but they knew how to handle it from the get go. If there's ever a question that you think someone will snap, say something first.
(This post was last modified: 03-15-2018 12:20 PM by mixduptransistor.)
03-15-2018 12:18 PM
mixduptransistor Offline
Hall of Famer

(03-15-2018 12:13 PM)Pavy78 Wrote:  Name a gun law that would have prevented this from occurring? If the shooter was a n average Joe with no criminal history, he obtained the gun legally. He flipped when he got terminated by the employer. No law would have prevented it. It is evil. It will always be here.

Not advocating for it, but if the guns were illegal and had been confiscated, and if the ammunition had been controlled either through extremely high prices or otherwise.
03-15-2018 12:21 PM
Advertisement

BAMANBLAZERFAN Offline
Hall of Famer

BlazerTalk Award
(03-15-2018 12:11 PM)BlazerFromMD Wrote:  Sounds like a good idea to me. No one said anything about forcing teachers to carry. However, those who are capable should be allowed to carry.

Gun free zones only protect criminals.

http://insider.foxnews.com/2014/07/25/wo...lth-center

While talking about arming people, they avoid the term LIABILITY that a teacher would face if they killed or injured a person / student who turned out to be unarmed (as has happened with police officers). Various courts have ruled in past cases that a teacher is INDIVIDUALLY LIABLE for any injury to a student in their classroom, even if the student's behavior was against the teacher's instructions. One reason some teachers join AEA or AFT is the insurance coverage for liability, particularly when taking students to labs.
03-15-2018 12:32 PM
Pavy78 Offline
Special Teams

(03-15-2018 12:21 PM)mixduptransistor Wrote:  
(03-15-2018 12:13 PM)Pavy78 Wrote:  Name a gun law that would have prevented this from occurring? If the shooter was a n average Joe with no criminal history, he obtained the gun legally. He flipped when he got terminated by the employer. No law would have prevented it. It is evil. It will always be here.

Not advocating for it, but if the guns were illegal and had been confiscated, and if the ammunition had been controlled either through extremely high prices or otherwise.

Um, yeah. That works so well with drugs. Let’s try that.
03-15-2018 06:38 PM
Advertisement

mixduptransistor Offline
Hall of Famer

(03-15-2018 06:38 PM)Pavy78 Wrote:  
(03-15-2018 12:21 PM)mixduptransistor Wrote:  

Um, yeah. That works so well with drugs. Let’s try that.

I said I wasn't advocating for that, but I guess reading is hard.

At any rate, there are less drastic ways to do it, too. Other countries have solved this problem, it's not insurmountable. We just have to want to do it.
03-16-2018 07:20 AM
BAMANBLAZERFAN Offline
Hall of Famer

BlazerTalk Award
Drug interdiction, like booze interdiction (moonshining, bootlegging, etc) doesn't work because such businesses operate on the basic capitalism principle that where there is a demand, someone will provide supply, no matter the obstacles. To date, the only drug or booze program aimed at demand was the "Just say NO" program of the 1980s. As long as American drug and booze demand is maintained, there will be those who provide a supply and will profit from it.

(Ironically, the drug users are considered "nonviolent offenders" and are the first to be released even though income from their habits provide the drug cartel's income to pay for their violent practices just as nonviolent drinkers of illegal booze sustained the Capone type gangs.)

As long as American's faith in the perceived protection offered by ever present firearms is dominant, the guns will continue to flood our environment. There is no law that can prevent murders, only laws that try to (eventually) punish the perpetrator after the fact. The NRA is one problem in this culture, but not the MAIN problem. America has always been a violent "Wild West" kind of culture since its beginnings (America's first rebellion was the "Whisky Rebellion" in western PA put down by George Washington using 15,000 militiamen against 600 farmers).
(This post was last modified: 03-17-2018 02:34 PM by BAMANBLAZERFAN.)
03-17-2018 02:17 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.