Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Thread Closed 
Alex Jones getting sued for defamation
fsquid Online
Legend

I Root For: Memphis, Queens (NC)

CrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappiesMemphis Hall of Fame
Alex Jones getting sued for defamation
For those who are lawyers, what does the plaintiff have to prove in this case? I'm not really looking for opinion on if he's liable or not, just curious of what the plantiff has to show to win. THANKS

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/pub...add34dcaef
03-13-2018 11:55 PM
Find all posts by this user
Advertisement

Tom in Lazybrook Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: So Alabama, GWU
RE: Alex Jones getting sued for defamation
I've seen this. Basically, they're arguing that Alex Jones does this for profit, does it repeatedly, and that private/innocent people are harmed by his incorrect reporting. They're arguing that it is done with malice, in an attempt to gain clicks from a readership that wants to see stories like that (regardless of its true or not).

I find it interesting that while he's settled in the past, this plaintiff has said they WANT to go to trial on this one. Hes also suing Gateway Pundit.
03-14-2018 12:00 AM
Kronke Offline
Banned

I Root For: Arsenal / StL
He's being sued left and right by everyone in the alt-left, because he's winning and they can't compete. The creator of Pepe tried suing him for selling this print, despite inviting anyone to profit off of him. It's already been thrown out. This one looks to be much of the same -- attempting to tie some random person's words on the internet to some death threats you received. Reeeach.

[Image: quote.jpg]

[Image: 180307123354-infowars-pepe-poster-exlarge-169.jpg]
(This post was last modified: 03-14-2018 12:15 AM by Kronke.)
03-14-2018 12:05 AM
fsquid Online
Legend

ok, so how does one have to prove malice?
03-14-2018 12:20 AM
Kronke Offline
Banned

You don't, you get anti-SLAPP'ed and made an example of.
(This post was last modified: 03-14-2018 12:25 AM by Kronke.)
03-14-2018 12:23 AM
Tom in Lazybrook Offline
Hall of Famer

Repeated cases of reporting incorrect information that results in threats against innocent private individuals. They apparently got Charlottesville, Las Vegas, Quebec, Parkland, Pizzagate wrong. There's enough of a pattern here to make the argument that his reckless disregard for the truth and the prior results of his incorrect reporting constitutes malice.
03-14-2018 12:25 AM
Advertisement

fsquid Online
Legend

(03-14-2018 12:23 AM)Kronke Wrote:  You don't, you get anti-SLAPP'ed and made an example of.

So it's impossible to prove?
03-14-2018 12:26 AM
flash3200 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Rice/EOLRRF
Seems pretty simple. The plaintiff was a (mostly) private citizen who recorded a video from the Charlottesville fracas. Alex Jones violated his privacy by exposing his name etc. and framing all sorts of unproven conspiracy theories around the guy which led to this guy being hounded by InfoWars trolls. If this guy was Wolf Blitzer, then there probably wouldn't be a case. Since this guy was presumably a private citizen, I would guess Alex Jones is in trouble since it shouldn't be hard to show there was harm inflicted etc. I'm guessing Alex Jones settles with this guy despite the threat of going to trial.
(This post was last modified: 03-14-2018 12:49 AM by flash3200.)
03-14-2018 12:48 AM
fsquid Online
Legend

so what would be damages in this? An arbitrary number by a jury?
03-14-2018 12:56 AM
Tom in Lazybrook Offline
Hall of Famer

(03-14-2018 12:48 AM)flash3200 Wrote:  Seems pretty simple. The plaintiff was a (mostly) private citizen who recorded a video from the Charlottesville fracas. Alex Jones violated his privacy by exposing his name etc. and framing all sorts of unproven conspiracy theories around the guy which led to this guy being hounded by InfoWars trolls. If this guy was Wolf Blitzer, then there probably wouldn't be a case. Since this guy was presumably a private citizen, I would guess Alex Jones is in trouble since it shouldn't be hard to show there was harm inflicted etc. I'm guessing Alex Jones settles with this guy despite the threat of going to trial.

A few points. Alex Jones or his site published the PARENTS of the complaintant's address and they were harassed. And the plaintiffs have announced that they WANT this to go to trial.
(This post was last modified: 03-14-2018 12:58 AM by Tom in Lazybrook.)
03-14-2018 12:58 AM
flash3200 Offline
Special Teams

Isn't "Plaintiff requests a jury trail" pretty boilerplate? Obviously, you want to leave room for negotiation of the settlement. I would be very surprised to see this go to trial unless the plaintiff has a huge rainy day legal fund to attack Jones with.
03-14-2018 01:01 AM
Advertisement

flash3200 Offline
Special Teams

(03-14-2018 12:56 AM)fsquid Wrote:  so what would be damages in this? An arbitrary number by a jury?

Low to mid six figures? Anything higher will be appealed into oblivion and the guy would never see much of it after paying legal fees.
03-14-2018 01:02 AM
Paul M Offline
American-American

I Root For: OU
Jones is being sued left and right because he's a lying lowlife dog turd eating pos.

But if you enjoy drinking his lead laced products, cool. One explanation for why one would believe his lies.
03-14-2018 07:03 AM
bullet Offline
Legend

I Root For: Texas, UK, UGA
(03-14-2018 12:48 AM)flash3200 Wrote:  Seems pretty simple. The plaintiff was a (mostly) private citizen who recorded a video from the Charlottesville fracas. Alex Jones violated his privacy by exposing his name etc. and framing all sorts of unproven conspiracy theories around the guy which led to this guy being hounded by InfoWars trolls. If this guy was Wolf Blitzer, then there probably wouldn't be a case. Since this guy was presumably a private citizen, I would guess Alex Jones is in trouble since it shouldn't be hard to show there was harm inflicted etc. I'm guessing Alex Jones settles with this guy despite the threat of going to trial.

This guy is a foreign service officer, not a "typical" private citizen, which encourages conspiracy theories.
03-14-2018 08:21 AM
bullet Offline
Legend

(03-14-2018 12:58 AM)Tom in Lazybrook Wrote:  

A few points. Alex Jones or his site published the PARENTS of the complaintant's address and they were harassed. And the plaintiffs have announced that they WANT this to go to trial.

Sounds like what the left has been doing repeatedly.
03-14-2018 08:22 AM
UofMstateU Offline
Legend

I Root For: Memphis
(03-14-2018 08:22 AM)bullet Wrote:  

Sounds like what the left has been doing repeatedly.

I'm not sure how they win this case against Jones if the Zimmerman case was tossed.
03-14-2018 08:33 AM
Advertisement

bullet Offline
Legend

There should be limits. I don't know exactly what was written in this case. But there should be a pretty high standard or we start infringing on the 1st amendment.
03-14-2018 08:38 AM
bullet Offline
Legend

This one goes way beyond the limits and should be thrown out. Seth Rich's parents suing for emotional distress.
https://www.msn.com/en-us/tv/news/fox-ne...spartanntp
03-14-2018 08:43 AM
Tom in Lazybrook Offline
Hall of Famer

(03-14-2018 08:21 AM)bullet Wrote:  

This guy is a foreign service officer, not a "typical" private citizen, which encourages conspiracy theories.

The PARENTS are plaintiffs in this case.
03-14-2018 11:30 AM
Kronke Offline
Banned

Source? His op-ed in Politico claims that they were posted by a "neo-nazi message board". Alex is neither a neo-nazi, nor does he have a message board.
03-14-2018 11:39 AM
Thread Closed 

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.