Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Ranking the best jobs in the AAC
tharmon15 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Memphis Tigers
MyBB Ranking the best jobs in the AAC
After the talks of Tubby leaving, Ollie leaving, and other speculations of extensions, how would you rank the jobs in the AAC for potential hires and what basis do you use for ranking?
03-12-2018 12:36 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Huskypride Offline
New Kid on the Block

I Root For: Competitive FB
RE: Ranking the best jobs in the AAC
(03-12-2018 12:36 PM)tharmon15 Wrote:  After the talks of Tubby leaving, Ollie leaving, and other speculations of extensions, how would you rank the jobs in the AAC for potential hires and what basis do you use for ranking?

ECU

UConn and Memphis
03-12-2018 12:38 PM
Stickboy46 Online
Heisman

I Root For: Wichita State
(03-12-2018 12:36 PM)tharmon15 Wrote:  After the talks of Tubby leaving, Ollie leaving, and other speculations of extensions, how would you rank the jobs in the AAC for potential hires and what basis do you use for ranking?

I have no idea what the ranks are, but as far as factors?

Fan Support
Admin Support
Financial Support
Facilities
History of Success
Recruiting locations
For some coaches - being a "basketball school", ie football doesn't run the bus.

Memphis is going to take a hit by firing a coach in the 2nd year. No matter what fans think ... that just looks bad and WILL deter pulling a good coach from a stable situation. Granted this time they already have someone lined up who isn't a college coach, so that doesn't apply here.

UConn is probably my top job in the conference then
Cincy/Wichita
Memphis
Temple/Houston/SMU
Tulsa
The rest.
(This post was last modified: 03-12-2018 12:51 PM by Stickboy46.)
03-12-2018 12:41 PM
Joprior23 Offline
1st String

I Root For: UH
(03-12-2018 12:41 PM)Stickboy46 Wrote:  

Fan Support
Admin Support
Financial Support
Facilities
History of Success
Recruiting locations
For some coaches - being a "basketball school", ie football doesn't run the bus.

Memphis is going to take a hit by firing a coach in the 2nd year. No matter what fans think ... that just looks bad and WILL deter pulling a good coach from a stable situation. Granted this time they already have someone lined up who isn't a college coach, so that doesn't apply here.

Cincy/Wichita
Memphis
Temple/Houston
Tulsa
The rest.

I think Cincy is the top job. I keep hearing how UCONN can’t recruit being in the AAC. That knocks them to two behind Cincy. I now think Houston is a top 4 job in the conference. Once the Fertitta Center is done, we may have the best facilities in the conference. Top 4 in history, top 4 in admin support. What could push us out of the top 4? Fan support. Have to get better in that category. Houston is a huge bandwagon town when it comes to college sports. Hopefully we can win a couple of games in the tourney so that we can get some casual fans out to the games next year.
03-12-2018 12:47 PM
HuskyU Offline
Big East Overlord

I Root For: UCONN
Tier 1:
Cincinnati
Wichita
UCONN
Memphis
Temple

Tier 2:
SMU
Tulsa
Houston

Tier 3:
UCF
USF
Tulane

Tier 4:
ECU

Temple/SMU are borderline Tier 1/Tier 2 IMO. Houston could move up to Tier 1 if they gain a fan-base.
C0|db|00ded Offline
Instrument of Pain

For just a basketball-only job and if you removed all coaches from each program simultaneously, I'd say it goes like this:

UConn
Cincy
Memphis
Wichita
Temple
SMU
Tulsa
UCF
Houston
USF
Tulane
ECU

T

...03-cool
Advertisement

SHOCK_value Offline
2nd String

Based on the long view...

T1 - UCONN and Cincy
3 - Memphis
T4 - WSU and Temple
T6 - TU, Houston, SMU (would maybe have SMU higher but there’s just no meat on the bone, historically)

Flip a coin from there to 12th.
03-12-2018 12:48 PM
Stickboy46 Online
Heisman

(03-12-2018 12:47 PM)Joprior23 Wrote:  

Fan Support
Admin Support
Financial Support
Facilities
History of Success
Recruiting locations

Cincy/Wichita
Memphis
Temple/Houston
Tulsa
The rest.

I think Cincy is the top job. I keep hearing how UCONN can’t recruit being in the AAC. That knocks them to two behind Cincy. I now think Houston is a top 4 job in the conference. Once the Fertitta Center is done, we may have the best facilities in the conference. Top 4 in history, top 4 in admin support. What could push us out of the top 4? Fan support. Have to get better in that category. Houston is a huge bandwagon town when it comes to college sports. Hopefully we can win a couple of games in the tourney so that we can get some casual fans out to the games next year.

UCONN says they can't recruit .. but still pull in better recruits than the rest of the league. IMO the biggest thing hurting UCONN is uconn. Constantly talking about how the league is hurting it really lowers their value. Do you really want to take a job when none of the fans will be happy unless you get to a different league?
03-12-2018 12:50 PM
UHDC Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Houston
1. UConn
2. Cincy
3. Memphis
4. Wichita State
5. Temple
6. Houston
7. SMU
8. Tulsa
9. UCF
10. Tulane
11. USF
12. ECU
03-12-2018 12:50 PM
HuskyU Offline
Big East Overlord

I Root For: UCONN
(03-12-2018 12:50 PM)Stickboy46 Wrote:  

Fan Support
Admin Support
Financial Support
Facilities
History of Success
Recruiting locations

Cincy/Wichita
Memphis
Temple/Houston
Tulsa
The rest.

UCONN says they can't recruit .. but still pull in better recruits than the rest of the league. IMO the biggest thing hurting UCONN is uconn. Constantly talking about how the league is hurting it really lowers their value. Do you really want to take a job when none of the fans will be happy unless you get to a different league?

Q: Who blasts the league and UCONN's membership the most?

A: Non-UCONN fans. You hear it from the College Gameday crew and ESPN employees.

Yes, the-boneyard likes to blame conference affiliation too, but the people making it a thing in the media aren't UCONN fans.
03-12-2018 12:56 PM
tharmon15 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Memphis Tigers
(03-12-2018 12:47 PM)C0|db|00ded Wrote:  For just a basketball-only job and if you removed all coaches from each program simultaneously, I'd say it goes like this:

UConn
Cincy
Memphis
Wichita
Temple
SMU
Tulsa
UCF
Houston
USF
Tulane
ECU

T

...03-cool

I think this is what I would say as well.
03-12-2018 12:57 PM
Advertisement

Indiana Bones Offline
1st String

I Root For: ECU
ECU at least provides the best opportunity to show how good a coach is. If you can turn us into a winner people will take notice. Also, expectations are very low here.
03-12-2018 01:07 PM
C0|db|00ded Offline
Instrument of Pain

But if I were to re-rank the top jobs based on current conditions and national reputation at each program it might look something like this:

UConn/Wichita State/Cincy
Memphis
SMU/Temple
Houston/Tulsa/UCF
Tulane/USF/ECU

Wichita State is going to be able to make a strong pitch to Marshall's future replacement. We have one of the best home environments in college basketball and a fanbase that is second to none. We don't have football though and Wichita is... Wichita. But we can pay the big bucks and will worship a successful coach like a god.

T

...03-cool
03-12-2018 01:09 PM
CliftonAve Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Jimmy Nippert

Fan Support
Admin Support
Financial Support
Facilities
History of Success
Recruiting locations

Cincy/Wichita
Memphis
Temple/Houston
Tulsa
The rest.

Cincinnati actually doesn't recruit all that well-- in the traditional sense of 5 or 4 star recruits. We get the lunch pail kids that can fit the system: long, lean kids that want to work/play hard, play defense and play team basketball. As a result, we often whiff on recruits in Ohio and Indiana (with the exception of Cumberland and in the past Kevin Johnson and Yancey Gates). We have to go to the South and on the coast to find them and build up that relationship before anyone else finds them.

In short, UC has to work very hard at recruiting, scouting, evaluating, hiding and retaining talent.

Btw, UC's upgraded arena is going to be top shelf in the conference when it is all done.
03-12-2018 01:11 PM
shock Offline
Ass-Kicking Booby-Loving 'Murican

I Root For: U of Wichita
Anarchist Mod Election Team

Bro Mod Election Team

BC#1 Mod Election Team
(This post was last modified: 03-12-2018 01:19 PM by shock.)
03-12-2018 01:17 PM
Moody Magic Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: SMU
(03-12-2018 12:47 PM)C0|db|00ded Wrote:  For just a basketball-only job and if you removed all coaches from each program simultaneously, I'd say it goes like this:

UConn
Cincy
Memphis
Wichita
Temple
SMU
Tulsa
UCF
Houston
USF
Tulane
ECU

T

...03-cool
With the exception of Houston, I think this list is pretty spot on. With the new arena I believe Houston will at least jump UCF and Tulsa. It will be interesting to see how many people show up to their games next season.
(This post was last modified: 03-12-2018 01:31 PM by Moody Magic.)
03-12-2018 01:30 PM
Advertisement

Joprior23 Offline
1st String

(03-12-2018 01:30 PM)Moody Magic Wrote:  

UConn
Cincy
Memphis
Wichita
Temple
SMU
Tulsa
UCF
Houston
USF
Tulane
ECU

T

...03-cool
With the exception of Houston, I think this list is pretty spot on. With the new arena I believe Houston will at least jump UCF and Tulsa. It will be interesting to see how many people show up to their games next season.

UCF ahead of Houston. A school that is 0-4 lifetime in the tourney. This guy doesn’t have a clue. UH is right up there with anyone in this conference basd on history alone, and far surpasses Wichita State.

UH will have the best facilities in the conference once the Fertitta Center is done. UH is in Houston. Texas produces crazy amounts of division 1 talent. Idk if a state produces more.

UH can go toe to toe with anyone in this conference.
03-12-2018 02:27 PM
C0|db|00ded Offline
Instrument of Pain

(03-12-2018 02:27 PM)Joprior23 Wrote:  
(03-12-2018 01:30 PM)Moody Magic Wrote:  

UConn
Cincy
Memphis
Wichita
Temple
SMU
Tulsa
UCF
Houston
USF
Tulane
ECU

T

...03-cool

UCF ahead of Houston. A school that is 0-4 lifetime in the tourney. This guy doesn’t have a clue. UH is right up there with anyone in this conference basd on history alone, and far surpasses Wichita State.

UH will have the best facilities in the conference once the Fertitta Center is done. UH is in Houston. Texas produces crazy amounts of division 1 talent. Idk if a state produces more.

UH can go toe to toe with anyone in this conference.

As long as UH Basketball has been dormant there is hardly an argument to put them over UCF. UCF as an athletic program has tremendous momentum. Have you not been paying attention? They practically print money and their school enrollment would be the 75th largest city in the nation.

T

...03-cool
03-12-2018 02:33 PM
SHOCK_value Offline
2nd String

Houston hasn’t won an NCAA tournament game in almost 35 years.

That might be impacting their perception just a tad.
03-12-2018 02:33 PM
Joprior23 Offline
1st String

(03-12-2018 02:33 PM)SHOCK_value Wrote:  Houston hasn’t won an NCAA tournament game in almost 35 years.

That might be impacting their perception just a tad.

UCF hasn’t won a game ever.
03-12-2018 02:34 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.