1st String

I Root For: basketball
TOP 5 MAC TEAMS IN 2019 AND WHY ...
1. BUFFALO

2. BALL STATE

3. TOLEDO

4. EASTERN MICHIGAN

5. BOWLING GREEN-AKRON-MIAMI-KENT-OHIO

I know, No. 5 is cheating, but I think the top four are pretty solid in some order if not this one ... Ball State losing last four straight doesn't worry me as much as two power 5 transfers coming in excite me ... A bit worried about Toledo because losing Fletcher last two games overshadowed the fact the UT very easily could/should have been bounced out in either the quarterfinals or semifinals as they survived last-second shots in both games ... particulary Miami (with Fletcher) means that defense still needs work ... Eastern is Eastern.

Of that next group, pick your poison ... Ohio gets a stud back, BG has quality and depth at every position...Miami definitely trending up, Kent returns a lot and Akron has a lot sitting out.

So who you guys got.
03-11-2018 03:31 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Motown Bronco Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: WMU
RE: TOP 5 MAC TEAMS IN 2019 AND WHY ...
If WMU lands somewhere between 10-12 (according to your ranking), then things get interesting for coach Steve Hawkins whose been in Kalamazoo for 15 years. It'll be coming up on the last year of his contract, and a placement that low - especially after this major disappointment of a year - would hopefully signal his ouster.

We return 4 starters, but we lose Wilder. Still, I'm not optimistic of anything much higher than .500 again.
(This post was last modified: 03-11-2018 03:45 PM by Motown Bronco.)
03-11-2018 03:44 PM
emu79 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: emu
If Thompson returns I would agree with the ranking for EMU we have an immediate eligible 6 11 center coming in and a multi offered Juco combo guard I expect positive development for the four true fresh and Groce next year
(This post was last modified: 03-12-2018 06:29 AM by emu79.)
03-12-2018 04:54 AM
bcunn3128 Away
Heisman

I Root For: U of Toledo
(03-12-2018 04:54 AM)emu79 Wrote:  If Thompson returns I would agree with the ranking for EMU we have an immediate eligible 6 11 center coming in and a multi offered Juco combo guard I expect postibe development for the four true fresh and Groce next year

I may be one of the few people who believe that EMU will be better if Thompson DOESN’T return. Either way, though, I think the West will be a dog fight between Toledo, Ball State & Eastern.
03-12-2018 05:05 AM
pono Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
if EMU brings back thompson they are pretty loaded. bond did so much for them though that his loss should not be overlooked. lot of talent on that squad and better competitiveness.

toledo, of course, loses fletcher, but they did prove their 2nd best status without him. it went to the buzzer but they were a point better. next year bring in 4 guys - only lose fletcher, and likely a bench guy transfers out- including a 3rd year soph, 2nd year frosh, top canadian guard who had illinois, usc, st bonaventure, new mexico, iona, umass offers...

buffalo should have a chance to crack the top 25 if they stay healthy and either or both of the high profile recruits makes an impact.

ball st will have to regroup. they came apart a bit this year. started slow, got hot, then, lost some key guys and games, got hot for a monte again, and then unraveled at the end. they do add a solid guard in walton from missouri and a talented but less proven transfer from arkansas plus a couple good wing recruits. if they can regain chemistry and health and don't have transfer issues will be very good.

miami and bg improving. i like miami's upside a bit more, especially if they can get in a ready to play big man at this late stage
03-12-2018 05:29 AM
FMRocket Offline
All American

I Root For: UT Blue & Gold
(03-12-2018 05:29 AM)pono Wrote:  if EMU brings back thompson they are pretty loaded. bond did so much for them though that his loss should not be overlooked. lot of talent on that squad and better competitiveness.

toledo, of course, loses fletcher, but they did prove their 2nd best status without him. it went to the buzzer but they were a point better. next year bring in 4 guys - only lose fletcher, and likely a bench guy transfers out- including a 3rd year soph, 2nd year frosh, top canadian guard who had illinois, usc, st bonaventure, new mexico, iona, umass offers...

buffalo should have a chance to crack the top 25 if they stay healthy and either or both of the high profile recruits makes an impact.

ball st will have to regroup. they came apart a bit this year. started slow, got hot, then, lost some key guys and games, got hot for a monte again, and then unraveled at the end. they do add a solid guard in walton from missouri and a talented but less proven transfer from arkansas plus a couple good wing recruits. if they can regain chemistry and health and don't have transfer issues will be very good.

miami and bg improving. i like miami's upside a bit more, especially if they can get in a ready to play big man at this late stage

Miami will be very good next year... Still wish that Delontae Brown would’ve stayed home to become a part of the Rocket program. Another local talent like D. Wiggins who got away because we did not recruit either of them hard enough.
(This post was last modified: 03-12-2018 06:22 AM by FMRocket.)
03-12-2018 06:19 AM
Advertisement

EagleSam Offline
Heisman

I Root For: EMU
(03-12-2018 05:05 AM)bcunn3128 Wrote:  
(03-12-2018 04:54 AM)emu79 Wrote:  If Thompson returns I would agree with the ranking for EMU we have an immediate eligible 6 11 center coming in and a multi offered Juco combo guard I expect postibe development for the four true fresh and Groce next year

I may be one of the few people who believe that EMU will be better if Thompson DOESN’T return. Either way, though, I think the West will be a dog fight between Toledo, Ball State & Eastern.

Yeah, no. We'd likely be in the middle of the pack, fighting for a opening round home game next year without Thompson. You saw two of his worst games of the season, which sadly came at the most important time. We are a much better team when he's playing, and I hope he comes back.
03-12-2018 07:37 AM
H2Oville Rocket Offline
Legend

I Root For: Toledo R0ckets
(03-12-2018 07:37 AM)EagleSam Wrote:  

Yeah, no. We'd likely be in the middle of the pack, fighting for a opening round home game next year without Thompson. You saw two of his worst games of the season, which sadly came at the most important time. We are a much better team when he's playing, and I hope he comes back.

Thompson’s play elevates EMU. His temperament hurts them. I suspect his play wins more games than his attitude loses but the coach should really be working on him.
03-12-2018 03:49 PM
FrankAnderson Offline
All American

(03-12-2018 03:49 PM)H2Oville Rocket Wrote:  

Thompson’s play elevates EMU. His temperament hurts them. I suspect his play wins more games than his attitude loses but the coach should really be working on him.

Before our 2nd game with you, Thompson had only 1 technical foul all season. He had also only fouled out once all season as well. He temper had been MUCH better throughout the season. Almost no problems.

I guess Toledo just brings out the worst in him, for whatever reason.
03-12-2018 03:53 PM
H2Oville Rocket Offline
Legend

(03-12-2018 03:53 PM)FrankAnderson Wrote:  

Before our 2nd game with you, Thompson had only 1 technical foul all season. He had also only fouled out once all season as well. He temper had been MUCH better throughout the season. Almost no problems.

Didn’t he get two in the MACC, including one against Akron? I know he started talking to Kowalczyk as a freshman and K made a strong point about that with the refs. He has been an awfully strong presence for EMU for three years.
03-12-2018 08:03 PM
FrankAnderson Offline
All American

(03-12-2018 08:03 PM)H2Oville Rocket Wrote:  
(03-12-2018 05:05 AM)bcunn3128 Wrote:  I may be one of the few people who believe that EMU will be better if Thompson DOESN’T return. Either way, though, I think the West will be a dog fight between Toledo, Ball State & Eastern.

Didn’t he get two in the MACC, including one against Akron? I know he started talking to Kowalczyk as a freshman and K made a strong point about that with the refs. He has been an awfully strong presence for EMU for three years.

Yes, he got one against Akron (still didn't foul out). But that was after our 2nd game with you, like I said.
03-12-2018 08:24 PM
Advertisement

H2Oville Rocket Offline
Legend

(03-12-2018 08:24 PM)FrankAnderson Wrote:  
(03-12-2018 08:03 PM)H2Oville Rocket Wrote:  
(03-12-2018 07:37 AM)EagleSam Wrote:  Yeah, no. We'd likely be in the middle of the pack, fighting for a opening round home game next year without Thompson. You saw two of his worst games of the season, which sadly came at the most important time. We are a much better team when he's playing, and I hope he comes back.

Yes, he got one against Akron (still didn't foul out). But that was after our 2nd game with you, like I said.

I know, I was just trying to confirm that that it’s not JUST Toledo. Apparently the Rubber City can arouse his ire as well.
03-12-2018 10:53 PM
Frozenbaugh Offline
1st String

I Root For: Ball State
He doesn't like playing Ball State much either.
03-13-2018 09:32 AM
EagleSam Offline
Heisman

(03-13-2018 09:32 AM)Frozenbaugh Wrote:  He doesn't like playing Ball State much either.

True, although he did fine in our last meeting.
03-13-2018 09:39 AM
axeme Offline
Sage

I Root For: hoops

Folding@NCAAbbsDonatorsCrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappies
I really don't think the problems lie with the teams he plays against.
03-13-2018 10:24 AM
EagleSam Offline
Heisman

(03-13-2018 10:24 AM)axeme Wrote:  I really don't think the problems lie with the teams he plays against.

Obviously. He's vastly improved on keeping control of his emotions since his freshman year, but they still got the best of him at the worst possible time. However, his improvement in that aspect was a major reason why we finished where we did, and it is silly to suggest that we would be better without him.
03-13-2018 12:35 PM
Advertisement

cleveland Offline
1st String

I Root For: basketball
(03-13-2018 12:35 PM)EagleSam Wrote:  
(03-13-2018 10:24 AM)axeme Wrote:  I really don't think the problems lie with the teams he plays against.

Obviously. He's vastly improved on keeping control of his emotions since his freshman year, but they still got the best of him at the worst possible time. However, his improvement in that aspect was a major reason why we finished where we did, and it is silly to suggest that we would be better without him.

TO GET BACK ON TOPIC ....

With so many teams returning so much, obviously, a small jump in team improvement is not going to move the needle as much as some years. A third-place division team this season is probably the same next season ... for the most part.

WMU and CMU seem to be the only teams losing players that could cause a drop.

But the ??? is, who makes a jump up to a Top 4-type team.

I'm guessing Miami. But that's not a sure thing by any means. ... It could be Ohio, or Akron too.

Your thoughts ...
(This post was last modified: 03-13-2018 12:53 PM by cleveland.)
03-13-2018 12:51 PM
EagleSam Offline
Heisman

(03-13-2018 12:51 PM)cleveland Wrote:  TO GET BACK ON TOPIC ....

With so many teams returning so much obviously a small jump in improvement is not going to move the needle much. A third-place division team this season is probably the same next season ... for the most part.

WMU and CMU seem to be the only teams losing players that could cause a drop.

But the ??? is, who makes a jump up to a Top 4-type team.
I'm guessing Miami. But that's not a sure thing by any means.

Your thoughts ...

Ohio returns a lot, and brings Jason Carter back. They could surprise some people. Bowling Green should take a step next season as well.

Miami has the talent, but I'm not sure how I feel about Owens as an in-game coach. I watched a few of their games down the stretch, and his lack of an offensive system cost them in close games. It reminded me of Murphy. He's a first year head coach, and you could possibly attribute it to that, but I think it's something to keep an eye on. However, he's done well to bring talent and interest back to Oxford.
03-13-2018 12:59 PM
UAZippers Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: Akron
I'm not sure if they will be ready to compete for championships next year, but I expect the 2018-19 Zips to be almost unrecognizable from this current squad. The only big man we had to end the season should be 4th in line for minutes. With only one scholarship player leaving (Duvivier who is admittedly a big loss), there should be a big jump in talent level. Akron still has one more open scholarship to make another move as well.
03-13-2018 02:35 PM
EagleSam Offline
Heisman

(03-13-2018 02:35 PM)UAZippers Wrote:  I'm not sure if they will be ready to compete for championships next year, but I expect the 2018-19 Zips to be almost unrecognizable from this current squad. The only big man we had to end the season should be 4th in line for minutes. With only one scholarship player leaving (Duvivier who is admittedly a big loss), there should be a big jump in talent level. Akron still has one more open scholarship to make another move as well.

That's all you guys were really missing, honestly. You have some impressive young guards, who did really well until the final few minutes against us. With any combination of size and skill down low, Akron will be pretty scary. I'm a big fan of Daniel Utomi. Impressive offensive player.
03-13-2018 02:39 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.