Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)
Open TigerLinks

X/O coach possibilities
Bookmark and Share
kabluey Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Memphis
X/O coach possibilities
Iff (if and only if) Penny is the coach next year, and now that the walking NCAA violation Larry Brown is unlikely to join his projected staff, who are some X/O assistant coach possibilities you'd like to see considered add to his staff? And was Larry Brown's name being floated a yellow flag of Penny's bad judgment of "unethical" coaches, or good judgment for quality X/Os? Or a mix?

Who else are ideal on-court candidates to supplement Penny's recruiting and distinguish him from Pastner's apparent stubbornness against veteran mentorship?

Are there unheralded staff ideas to help him stay on top of compliance? He has no experience on those things, never been even around that atmosphere (of NCAA college athletic compliance) administratively, AFAIK.

I ask this with his, and the university's, success in mind.
(This post was last modified: 03-11-2018 01:11 PM by kabluey.)
03-11-2018 01:09 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Tigergary Offline
All American

I Root For: Tigers
RE: X/O coach possibilities
(03-11-2018 01:09 PM)kabluey Wrote:  Iff (if and only if) Penny is the coach next year, and now that the walking NCAA violation Larry Brown is unlikely to join his projected staff, who are some X/O assistant coach possibilities you'd like to see considered add to his staff? And was Larry Brown's name being floated a yellow flag of Penny's bad judgment of "unethical" coaches, or good judgment for quality X/Os? Or a mix?

Who else are ideal on-court candidates to supplement Penny's recruiting and distinguish him from Pastner's apparent stubbornness against veteran mentorship?

Are there unheralded staff ideas to help him stay on top of compliance? He has no experience on those things, never been even around that atmosphere (of NCAA college athletic compliance) administratively, AFAIK.

I'm intrigued by Hewitt. X and Os coach and can recruit good players.
03-11-2018 01:19 PM
3rdgenerationtiger Offline
1st String

I Root For: Tigers & Bears
(03-11-2018 01:09 PM)kabluey Wrote:  Iff (if and only if) Penny is the coach next year, and now that the walking NCAA violation Larry Brown is unlikely to join his projected staff, who are some X/O assistant coach possibilities you'd like to see considered add to his staff? And was Larry Brown's name being floated a yellow flag of Penny's bad judgment of "unethical" coaches, or good judgment for quality X/Os? Or a mix?

So basically you are saying Penny is too stupid to understand the basic training given to all coaches concerning NCAA compliance?

Also, could you supply a link confirming Penny’s “stubbornness” against veteran mentor ship?

And while you are at it could you explain your conflicting statements; Penny wanting to hire an “unethical 76 year old coach vs. Pennys stubbornness to hire a veteran mentor?

Poor attempt at trolling.
(This post was last modified: 03-11-2018 01:22 PM by 3rdgenerationtiger.)
03-11-2018 01:21 PM
jsw3ent Offline
Heisman

I Root For: memphis
Josh did hire a veteran coach
03-11-2018 01:30 PM
Tigergary Offline
All American

(03-11-2018 01:21 PM)3rdgenerationtiger Wrote:  

So basically you are saying Penny is too stupid to understand the basic training given to all coaches concerning NCAA compliance?

Also, could you supply a link confirming Penny’s “stubbornness” against veteran mentor ship?

And while you are at it could you explain your conflicting statements; Penny wanting to hire an “unethical 76 year old coach vs. Pennys stubbornness to hire a veteran mentor?

I've heard somewhere college coaches have to take and pass a compliance test. Is this true?
03-11-2018 01:32 PM
kabluey Offline
Heisman

You mean Pastner's stubbornness.

Poor attempt at reading.
03-11-2018 01:34 PM
Advertisement

jsw3ent Offline
Heisman

(03-11-2018 01:34 PM)kabluey Wrote:  

You mean Pastner's stubbornness.

Poor attempt at reading.

Post 4
03-11-2018 01:36 PM
kabluey Offline
Heisman

(03-11-2018 01:32 PM)Tigergary Wrote:  

I've heard somewhere college coaches have to take and pass a compliance test. Is this true?

If so, the test doesnt seem effective...
03-11-2018 01:37 PM
herkermer Offline
All American

I Root For: Memphis Tigers
(03-11-2018 01:30 PM)jsw3ent Wrote:  Josh did hire a veteran coach

But was too hardheaded and a know it all to take advice
03-11-2018 01:38 PM
Tigergary Offline
All American

(03-11-2018 01:37 PM)kabluey Wrote:  
(03-11-2018 01:32 PM)Tigergary Wrote:  

If so, the test doesnt seem effective...
Because they chose not to abide by it. I was just refering to people on this board stating penny doesn't know the rules. Thus would break them unknowingly.
03-11-2018 01:40 PM
kabluey Offline
Heisman

(03-11-2018 01:40 PM)Tigergary Wrote:  
(03-11-2018 01:37 PM)kabluey Wrote:  If so, the test doesnt seem effective...
Because they chose not to abide by it. I was just refering to people on this board stating penny doesn't know the rules. Thus would break them unknowingly.

True. It is one thing to know the rules. It is another to put the pieces in place to secure the university from investigation. I mean, I'd ask something similar but in a different way of someone like Forbes...
(This post was last modified: 03-11-2018 01:58 PM by kabluey.)
03-11-2018 01:46 PM
Advertisement

kabluey Offline
Heisman

(03-11-2018 01:19 PM)Tigergary Wrote:  
(03-11-2018 01:09 PM)kabluey Wrote:  //
I'm intrigued by Hewitt. X and Os coach and can recruit good players.

If he was willing, that would be interesting. I've heard Nolan Richardson's name thrown around too, but Hewitt is pretty current.
(This post was last modified: 03-11-2018 01:59 PM by kabluey.)
03-11-2018 01:48 PM
Marc Mensa Offline
You'll Get Nothing and Like It

I Root For: The Underdog
If Penny is hired, the last thing he needs to do is hire a former head coach, looking to be a HC again, to serve as his “assistant”.
03-11-2018 02:01 PM
Tigergary Offline
All American

(03-11-2018 02:01 PM)Marc Mensa Wrote:  If Penny is hired, the last thing he needs to do is hire a former head coach, looking to be a HC again, to serve as his “assistant”.

There's nothing wrong with him being a assistant. If he wants to accept a HC position later than so be it.
03-11-2018 02:08 PM
kabluey Offline
Heisman

(03-11-2018 02:01 PM)Marc Mensa Wrote:  If Penny is hired, the last thing he needs to do is hire a former head coach, looking to be a HC again, to serve as his “assistant”.

Why is it the last thing? Isn't that how the coaching fraternity works? Former head coaches keep their foot in the game either on TV or on the sidelines, and current coaches hiring them get experience and different perspectives? Lute Olson hired Kevin O'Neill as an assistant in the mid 2000s. Should Penny hire someone with no higher aspirations than being an assistant?

What is a better approach that you suggest?
(This post was last modified: 03-11-2018 02:11 PM by kabluey.)
03-11-2018 02:10 PM
jsw3ent Offline
Heisman

Kinda agree
03-11-2018 02:10 PM
Advertisement

jsw3ent Offline
Heisman

(03-11-2018 01:38 PM)herkermer Wrote:  

Just asking and not being a jerk---but do you know for certain that he didn't heed advice.
03-11-2018 02:20 PM
tigersroll Offline
All American

A veteran coach may NOT want all the responsibilities of being a head coach. If he want to be an assistant then let him.
03-11-2018 02:22 PM
herkermer Offline
All American

(03-11-2018 02:20 PM)jsw3ent Wrote:  

Just asking and not being a jerk---but do you know for certain that he didn't heed advice.

From some people close to the situation... i was told this. Im sure there are people here that have more direct knowledge...
03-11-2018 02:37 PM
jsw3ent Offline
Heisman

(03-11-2018 02:37 PM)herkermer Wrote:  
(03-11-2018 02:20 PM)jsw3ent Wrote:  

From some people close to the situation... i was told this. Im sure there are people here that have more direct knowledge...

Ok--- I have always thought that you had more credibility than most that post here. Thanks for the response .
(This post was last modified: 03-11-2018 03:09 PM by jsw3ent.)
03-11-2018 02:41 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.