Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

NIT
Bookmark and Share
rocketpaul Offline
1st String

I Root For: Toledo Rockets
NIT
Does any one know does THE MAC get an Automatic NIT bid if the regular season champion wins the tournament.
03-10-2018 11:40 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

T-Town Offline
All American

I Root For:
RE: NIT
(03-10-2018 11:40 PM)rocketpaul Wrote:  Does any one know does THE MAC get an Automatic NIT bid if the regular season champion wins the tournament.

Pretty sure that the automatic bids are only guaranteed to conference regular season champions who do not make the NCAA---thus Toledo is not guaranteed of a bid whereas Buffalo would have been had Toledo won the tournament. Of course that doesn't mean Toledo is excluded from an NIT bid but they are not entitled to an automatic bid IIRC.
03-11-2018 12:15 AM
bcunn3128 Away
Heisman

I Root For: U of Toledo
(03-11-2018 12:15 AM)T-Town Wrote:  
(03-10-2018 11:40 PM)rocketpaul Wrote:  Does any one know does THE MAC get an Automatic NIT bid if the regular season champion wins the tournament.

Pretty sure that the automatic bids are only guaranteed to conference regular season champions who do not make the NCAA---thus Toledo is not guaranteed of a bid whereas Buffalo would have been had Toledo won the tournament. Of course that doesn't mean Toledo is excluded from an NIT bid but they are not entitled to an automatic bid IIRC.

That is correct. As I said in a previous post, unfortunately after the “automatic” conference champ bids are exhausted, the rest of the NIT field usually fills in with “big name” schools who finished .500 or a win or two over that. Will be pleasantly surprised if Toledo gets a bid.
03-11-2018 02:11 AM
pono Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
Rockets are at best a bubble NIT team. Probably, won't get an invite even though we are good enough to play in that tournament.
03-11-2018 02:41 AM
bcunn3128 Away
Heisman

I’m sensing the Rockets are in a “NIT or Bust” mood. Big gamble. If so, it’s unlikely we see anymore basketball from either of our teams this season. Not saying it’s right or fair, but I don’t see it for either of our teams. As usual, I hope I’m wrong.
03-11-2018 11:19 AM
Springboromark Offline
All American

I Root For: Toledo
(03-11-2018 11:19 AM)bcunn3128 Wrote:  I’m sensing the Rockets are in a “NIT or Bust” mood. Big gamble. If so, it’s unlikely we see anymore basketball from either of our teams this season. Not saying it’s right or fair, but I don’t see it for either of our teams. As usual, I hope I’m wrong.

This team is worthy to continue to play basketball somehow. Coach K make this happen if the players want to continue to play.
03-11-2018 11:35 AM
Advertisement

bcunn3128 Away
Heisman

(03-11-2018 11:35 AM)Springboromark Wrote:  
(03-11-2018 11:19 AM)bcunn3128 Wrote:  I’m sensing the Rockets are in a “NIT or Bust” mood. Big gamble. If so, it’s unlikely we see anymore basketball from either of our teams this season. Not saying it’s right or fair, but I don’t see it for either of our teams. As usual, I hope I’m wrong.

This team is worthy to continue to play basketball somehow. Coach K make this happen if the players want to continue to play.

Believe it or not, I agree. Particularly if Fletcher can’t play—I’d love to see Alderson do more that pick & screen on offense, or to see if Gordon can continue being a spot contributor.

The challenge is the CIT looks like they already have 2 MAC teams lined up: EMU and CMU. The CBI is not typically a “strong” field (Miami from the MAC already in that one). I hope UT is making a strong enough case to the CIT that we would be an attractive 3rd MAC team so that they hold a spot open for us in the event we don’t get an NIT invite Sunday, which I’m just not going to hold my breath for.
(This post was last modified: 03-11-2018 11:59 AM by bcunn3128.)
03-11-2018 11:58 AM
MidnightBlueGold Online
Heisman

I Root For: TOL-EDO
NIT or bust...

03-11-2018 01:52 PM
bcunn3128 Away
Heisman

Well, that news suggests to me that the team & coaching staff aren’t really into continuing the season, and I’m sure they have their reasons. They have to know that the odds of getting a bid to the NIT are slim, so to decline everything else...As TK himself recently said, in this game you don’t always get what you deserve, so if we don’t get into the NIT, I hope we don’t get another round of “we deserved to be in, it’s a damn shame this team doesn’t get to keep playing, etc, etc.” because it sounds like we did have other opportunities.

If we DO get an NIT invite, I hope the team is juiced & ready to play. Anything can happen in those games, and the winner often is the team that wants to be there. If Fletcher is able to play, they could make a mini-run.
03-11-2018 02:46 PM
eastisbest Offline
Hall of Famer

I'm fine with that decision. I respect it also. Someone has to step up for the conference and say "we deserve this."
03-11-2018 02:48 PM
rocketpaul Offline
1st String

I hope they get one because with this young team they should play more games especially if Fletcher is not playing. Also thanks for the info on the bid process that is what I suspected but I was hoping I was wrong.
(This post was last modified: 03-11-2018 04:14 PM by rocketpaul.)
03-11-2018 04:09 PM
Advertisement

cnyrocketfan Offline
Legend

NIT selection show is on ESPNU at 8:30 Eastern
03-11-2018 05:39 PM
bcunn3128 Away
Heisman

(03-11-2018 05:39 PM)cnyrocketfan Wrote:  NIT selection show is on ESPNU at 8:30 Eastern

Watching the teams chosen for at large spots in the NCAA & looking at the “major” schools left that had winning records, I’m not at all confident we will be playing anymore ball this season. We didn’t have any “big” wins to help us, and there are too many schools like LSU (17-13) left on the table for Toledo to sneak in.
03-11-2018 05:49 PM
utrocks84 Online
Special Teams

I guess basketball is different than football in postseason play. But, I thought the extra practice time and game(s) would be nice since the rest of the Team other than Fletcher is suppose to return. Either way spring football is in the air.
03-11-2018 06:05 PM
bcunn3128 Away
Heisman

(03-11-2018 06:05 PM)utrocks84 Wrote:  I guess basketball is different than football in postseason play. But, I thought the extra practice time and game(s) would be nice since the rest of the Team other than Fletcher is suppose to return. Either way spring football is in the air.

I agree. Guys like Alderson & Gordon will need to play larger roles next season. Would have been nice to see them get more playing time. I would have taken a CIT invite. Of course, TK may not have liked the prospect of facing EMU or CMU again, and he would have a point.
03-11-2018 06:13 PM
T4C8 Offline
T4C8

(03-11-2018 01:52 PM)MidnightBlueGold Wrote:  NIT or bust...

Ugh. I feel like this team could make some noise in a lower tournament. Not sure I see us getting picked for the NIT, or winning a road game against a good team for that matter.
03-11-2018 06:37 PM
Advertisement

eastisbest Offline
Hall of Famer

(03-11-2018 06:37 PM)T4C8 Wrote:  
(03-11-2018 01:52 PM)MidnightBlueGold Wrote:  NIT or bust...

Ugh. I feel like this team could make some noise in a lower tournament. Not sure I see us getting picked for the NIT, or winning a road game against a good team for that matter.

Even without Fletcher, I would like our chances with our end of the year team, against Marshall, Wright St., I can see us winning an NIT game or two.

We might be struggling in the middle against some of those teams but don't underestimate what a difficult perimeter match-up we are.
(This post was last modified: 03-11-2018 06:51 PM by eastisbest.)
03-11-2018 06:50 PM
Sleepy Online
1st String

Toledo does not make it in to the NIT. They've elected not to play in the CBI or the CIT.
03-11-2018 07:51 PM
indianasniff Offline
All American

03-11-2018 08:03 PM
bcunn3128 Away
Heisman

(03-11-2018 07:51 PM)Sleepy Wrote:  Toledo does not make it in to the NIT. They've elected not to play in the CBI or the CIT.

Waving the white flag. We didn’t win the MAC & we didn’t get into the NIT, so we’re taking our ball & going home.

The CIT is practically made for a team like Toledo. With so many players coming back next season, this would have been a nice opportunity for some guys like Alderson, Roberts & Gordon to get more court time. One of them will need to be a bit of a pleasant surprise next season.

Or maybe some of them aren’t coming back and the “team” isn’t really such anymore now that the MAC tournament is over?
03-11-2018 08:03 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.