Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Apps Carolina Envy/Hatred
Bookmark and Share
Bobcat87 Offline
San Marvelous Cat

I Root For: TXST, A&M, UNT
I know that a lot of you Apps really hate anything "Carolina."

But even you guys have to admit, if only grudgingly, that there's not much better in college basketball than a Carolina/Duke Game . . .

Just might be the Greatest Rivalry in College Athletics . . . IMHO . .
03-09-2018 09:56 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

msm96wolf Offline
All American

I Root For:
RE: Apps Carolina Envy/Hatred
Apparently you are not familiar with ABC, Anybody But Carolina. I remember in the 80's as a Reaganite rooting for the Soviets over UNC because Chapel Hill was for more communist and anti-American than the Soviets were. Also, we were complaining about the AFAM program as a hoax in the 80's under Saint Dean. 04-chairshot
(This post was last modified: 03-09-2018 11:22 PM by msm96wolf.)
03-09-2018 11:20 PM
AppinVA Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: Appalachian St.
(03-09-2018 09:56 PM)Bobcat87 Wrote:  I know that a lot of you Apps really hate anything "Carolina."

But even you guys have to admit, if only grudgingly, that there's not much better in college basketball than a Carolina/Duke Game . . .

Go Longhorns. 07-coffee3
03-09-2018 11:20 PM
trapdrawApp Offline
1st String

I Root For: Appalachian
Indifference for me now but I grew up a Carolina fan because my uncle went there and he was the only one of my Dad's family that went to college. I lived and died over every game in this rivalry until I landed at App 32 years ago. I think that most of our “hate” comes from the fact that so many of our grads are App football but Carolina, Duke, or State basketball fans. Nothing worse than hearing one of our own say “We” when talking about a school they never attended. Back to me, I just like seeing Duke lose no matter who it’s to.
03-09-2018 11:24 PM
T-Dog Offline
SunBeltbbs App State INsider

I Root For: App State
I root for a meteor in these cases.
03-09-2018 11:53 PM
EigenEagle Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Ga Southern
Ever since the Duke lacrosse fiasco I have pulled for UNC.

I agree with the OP. It's a lot like the Iron Bowl in football.
03-10-2018 12:07 AM
Advertisement

Bobcat87 Offline
San Marvelous Cat

I Root For: TXST, A&M, UNT
(03-09-2018 11:20 PM)AppinVA Wrote:  
(03-09-2018 09:56 PM)Bobcat87 Wrote:  I know that a lot of you Apps really hate anything "Carolina."

Go Longhorns. 07-coffee3

03-lmfao03-lmfao Good one! Got me laughing my a$$ off . . . . But with The Aggies gone to the SEC, there's really no rivalry involving Texas that comes close to equaling Carolina/Duke Basketball. . . .
03-10-2018 12:28 AM
chiefsfan Online
No Seriously, they let me be a mod

I Root For: ASU
I just will not watch a Carolina/Duke basketball game. It feels dirty to even watch the highlights.

Just root for a very large meteor, its the best way to go.
03-10-2018 12:57 AM
BTK200 Offline
Water Engineer

As an App Fan and student I would say yeah...... there is probably some envy amongst many in the fan base. Who wouldn’t want to be able to walk into any Walmart in the country and buy your teams gear (in jest but also kind of serious). I think the great thing about the UNC system is that each campus has its own personality/ culture and I think App is the perfect school for me and most other student here. My parents/ grandmother went to and my brother currently attends Carolina so yeah I pull for UNC when they are on tv. I had a lot of fun when I was interning on the other side of the country talking to my family after the March madness games last year. I face timed my brother while he was on franklin street after they won’t the natty and enjoyed laughing with my parents after seeing Roy try to rip his jacket in half this week. I even had a great time with my family this fall at a UNC football game watching them beat the snot out of Western Carolina and wore the only light blue shirt I own to the game. I grew up on the Duke/ UNC rivalry and love the tradition but also love that it’s a rivalry of culture as Much as it is sports. The reason most North Carolinians pick a side is that it’s a battle between a NC public university with mostly NC students and a private university with mostly out of state (yankee) students. Slap them 8 miles arpart and you have a culture war of epic perportions. We can throw nc state in there and add a historically agiculture based school batting with 2 research liberal liberal arts university’s its a hell of a thing.

APP is App and I don’t want to graduate from a school where the faculty are researching more than they are teaching. I like the fact that I up here in the mountains and love that fact I’m at a school where all the professors in my department know me (good or bad I’m not sure). Trying to compare the UNC system schools is impossible because each school has its own strengths.. A teaching degree from App is worth its weight is gold while western students are graduating as paramedics and running their own on campus EMS system. I pull for UNC the same reason I pull for ECU from time to time, I enjoy taking to my friends who are fans about the game and don’t take it that seriously in the end.
03-10-2018 01:55 AM
BTK200 Offline
Water Engineer

Also the Duke lacrosse (for the person that mentioned it) thing was a disaster on sooooo many levels. An over zealous prosecutor, a stupid party, many stupid actions, and a whole host of stupid people. That prosecutor was disbarred and ultimately convicted of contempt for withholding evidence. Definatly not a duke fan but the school and athletics were never at fault for that one.
03-10-2018 02:11 AM
hapapp Offline
Special Teams

(03-10-2018 02:11 AM)BTK200 Wrote:  Also the Duke lacrosse (for the person that mentioned it) thing was a disaster on sooooo many levels. An over zealous prosecutor, a stupid party, many stupid actions, and a whole host of stupid people. That prosecutor was disbarred and ultimately convicted of contempt for withholding evidence. Definatly not a duke fan but the school and athletics were never at fault for that one.

Growing up in Virginia, I never understood why anyone in the Commonwealth would be a Tar Heel fan. I enjoyed watching the ACC games with Bones McKinney, Jim Thacker, and Billy Packer but never had a specific rooting interest until I enrolled at App in 1969. There were so many Carolina fans there that I found myself developing a real dislike for the Tar Heels and even become a bit of a UVA fan just to counter them.

That said, it continues to be the best rivalry in college basketball. I find my rooting against the team that has the most to lose as a result as I despise both.
(This post was last modified: 03-10-2018 06:15 AM by hapapp.)
03-10-2018 06:15 AM
Advertisement

CoachWillRob Offline
Special Teams

I'll admit, I'm one of those App grads who grew up pulling for the Heels. Starting pulling for Carolina at a very young age and became very invested as a fan, and growing up in the Tar Heel State, ACC basketball is king. From a numbers standpoint, UNC is king of the ACC, which is why there's a lot of haters, although dook has just as many haters. Didn't know anything of App State till going on a college visit as a high school student and loved it. Knew that's where I wanted to go to school, but couldn't just stop pulling for the Heels like that.

Loved my 5 years at ASU. App football is #1 no doubt(why else would I be on this board?), but I also still pull for the Heels. I've tried so hard to become a hard core App basketball fan, went to numerous games as a student and try to make a game a year as a grad. But man the program overall is just difficult to watch. I still loathe dook and every one of those floor slapping, love hugging, flopping, tripping, SOB pricks with every bone in my body. And I enjoy laughing at ncstate fans who think they are up to par with the other two. Most UNC fans(all 3 fan bases really) have a great respect for App football and pull for us in all situations.

From a basketball standpoint, I don't see how UNC or dook success would have an impact on Apps program. Or at least how pulling for one or the other would be such a major issue with others, unless you just grow up as pulling against them. App is a football school, Carolina/dook are basketball. Seems very possible to follow one in football and the other in basketball, but some can't handle that I guess. With all this said, I plan on being in Chapel Hill in 2019 wearing my Black & Gold with my Carolina buddies pulling for an App State victory. Go Apps!
03-10-2018 09:42 AM
ark30inf Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Arkansas State
Interesting dynamic.

Arkansas has 1 P5 school that has no real, deep, rivalries. And 1 G5 school with no real, deep, rivalries. And the two never play.

In some ways it is harder for App because attention is so fragmented and the big rivalry sucks up oxygen. In some ways its easier because they are all too busy to focus on specifically screwing App over.

At least when the Hogs are bad and we are good our message doesn't get drowned out. App has to deal with Duke, ECU, NCST, NC and at least one of them sucking up oxygen every year.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk
03-10-2018 10:37 AM
AppinVA Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: Appalachian St.
(03-10-2018 10:37 AM)ark30inf Wrote:  Interesting dynamic.

Arkansas has 1 P5 school that has no real, deep, rivalries. And 1 G5 school with no real, deep, rivalries. And the two never play.

In some ways it is harder for App because attention is so fragmented and the big rivalry sucks up oxygen. In some ways its easier because they are all too busy to focus on specifically screwing App over.

At least when the Hogs are bad and we are good our message doesn't get drowned out. App has to deal with Duke, ECU, NCST, NC and at least one of them sucking up oxygen every year.

I do think they let us do more of our own thing sports-wise than the flagships in other states.Though they have screwed us over in our desire to offer more advanced degrees. And as much as I despise UNC——CHeat, they are playing us on our field in a few years, so they deserve credit for that.
03-10-2018 12:38 PM
CheckYosef94 Offline
2nd String

ABC
03-10-2018 01:36 PM
TheOriginalBigApp Offline
1st String

I Root For: Appalachian

which 'Carolina' are you referring to? North, South, East, West, Central, Coastal? Also, which hyphenated version of those?
(This post was last modified: 03-10-2018 02:19 PM by TheOriginalBigApp.)
03-10-2018 02:17 PM
Advertisement

CoachWillRob Offline
Special Teams

I think you bring up a good point. Unlike other schools in the Sunbelt, App is a football school amongst mainly basketball P5 schools here in ACC country. Most other SunBelt schools are located in SEC country where they are competing against a football fan base. No other P5 school in NC has had a successful history in football like App has accomplished, no matter what level of competition. I think because of this, it makes it very easy for a lot of fans to pull for App in football, even if they didn't attend, and still pull for their favorite P5 team come basketball season.

I'm very curious to find out 2 things:
1) Of the rest of the SB fan base, who all pulls/loathes their instate P5?? I feel stAte and GS is clear. Curious about Troy/SA/TxSt/Coastal
2) Of the App "abcers" on here, which of dook/state did ya'll pul for growing up. Because from an athletics stand point, I'm struggling to find a good reason for pulling against the in-state P5s.
03-10-2018 04:02 PM
JTApps1 Offline
1st String

(03-10-2018 04:02 PM)CoachWillRob Wrote:  

I think you bring up a good point. Unlike other schools in the Sunbelt, App is a football school amongst mainly basketball P5 schools here in ACC country. Most other SunBelt schools are located in SEC country where they are competing against a football fan base. No other P5 school in NC has had a successful history in football like App has accomplished, no matter what level of competition. I think because of this, it makes it very easy for a lot of fans to pull for App in football, even if they didn't attend, and still pull for their favorite P5 team come basketball season.

1) Of the rest of the SB fan base, who all pulls/loathes their instate P5?? I feel stAte and GS is clear. Curious about Troy/SA/TxSt/Coastal
2) Of the App "abcers" on here, which of dook/state did ya'll pul for growing up. Because from an athletics stand point, I'm struggling to find a good reason for pulling against the in-state P5s.

I've never pulled for any of the big 4 ACC schools in NC. My whole family went to App so that is who I have always followed. With that, all I heard growing up from all my friends that pulled for one of the ACC schools was how inferior App was to them in every way. So I dont like any of them. There arent enough words to describe how much a win over UNC in football would mean for us in terms of respect from their fand and sadly many of our own.
03-10-2018 04:35 PM
CheckYosef94 Offline
2nd String

(03-10-2018 04:02 PM)CoachWillRob Wrote:  

My dad went to State so I grew up a Wolfpack fan. His oldest brother went to CHeat so we've always had a big family rivalry, which only helped fuel my hatred of the baby blue. Their other brother went to UNCC and has tried to start some trash talk between me (App) and himself (UNCC) but he acknowledges there isn't much from him to brag about.
03-10-2018 05:18 PM
Michael in Raleigh Offline
All American

The Big East Tournament at Madison Square Garden impresses me more. 36 straight years in one fantastic, famous venue. That league lost some of the biggest names in the sport (UConn, Syracuse, Louisville, Cincinnati, plus teams with solid histories like Notre Dame, Pitt, West Virginia, and even Miami) and STILL sells out and gets 40-70% of the league in the NCAA Tournament every year. The Big East Tournament is the closest thing college basketball has, when it comes to postseason tradition and pageantry, to college football's Rose Bowl. Carolina-Duke is great, but the Big East Tournament is even better. (I'm sure I will be in the minority with this opinion. I don't care.)
Quote:Just might be the Greatest Rivalry in College Athletics . . . IMHO . .
Michigan-Ohio State
Auburn-Alabama
Clemson-South Carolina
Georgia Southern-App State ?

These are talked about in the winter, spring, and summer. As a resident of Raleigh, the heart of Duke vs. UNC, it is not nearly as discussed in the off season as those football rivalries. Yeah, it's a big deal and worth celebrating, but it pales compared to those football rivalries.
03-10-2018 08:31 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.