Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

What next?
gobaseline Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
What next?
A lot being written and said.

Agree that leaders need to lead.

I think Hawkins has done a reasonable job in the W-L column. That is offset by playing in the weaker of the 2 divisions and generally a weak OCC schedule. There are always exceptions but I believe these to be the facts.

Contrast that to Dambrodt's run at Akron. Equally weak or even weaker OCC but always in the mix if not the top in the MAC and in the toughest division. Like WMU when dancing not successful, but they always seemed to be in line to get a ticket.

I don't believe Akron has a practice facility nor do I recall Akron fans complimenting the JAR as a great facility. Yet the Zips would at least win much more often in the MAC despite that "handicap".

Why?

Dambrodt always seemed to have depth of talent. He also adjusted from year to year, game to game and half to half.

My impression was he always had skilled length up front and perimeter play that was either very athletic and could dictate tempo and or reasonably skilled in a given area like long range shooting. He never really seemed to get those on the perimeter who had both. But because of quality depth could rotate in and out skill sets to compensate and compliment. It didnt always pay off but more often then not it did.

I think Hawk and staff have done a reasonably good job in recruiting talent. I just don't think they get enough depth.

When you look at recruiting sites lists of players WMU is always appearing to offer just a handful of kids. Enough to cover the pending need. Assuming that is correct when those listed don't commit that leaves WMU possibly short with incoming talent. There are always exceptions: Reggie Jones, David Brown and Nate Hutchinson committed later.

If practice facilities was the "key" NIU would have replaced WMU a long time ago as the best in the west. I really don't know how their facility stacks up both in function and time shared with others but they at least have one. Yet they consistently are a bottom dweller.

Moving forward Hawk needs to make some changes. I have opinions but they are simply that.

The easy one is more skilled depth is required. That means more kids need to be offered. An example was that they offered 3 legit bigs who all went elsewhere. We'll see if they pan out. But WMU only 1 coming back assuming he can walk.

Of the 3 one was Ryan Davis out of suburban Chicago. Had a bevy of MM offers who thought he was Big 10 material chose Vermont late in the process. Not sure he ever thought highly of WMU. When Davis's interest was waning a kid up out of Hopkins Mn. was offered. Kid/Dad thought highly of self. Had some MM offers. Very late received a full ride to Utah out of the PAC 12. Turned it down to take a PWO with Wisconsin. Soon after the Mn kid seemed more interested in others but before he committed a kid out of NW Ohio was offered late. I dont believe the luv was mutual. He accepted a late offer from Dambrodt.

Two perimeter players, the 1 kid formerly out of GR who moved to California chose the Buckeyes. But he never seemed to be that interested in WMU. Another kid who's dad played for Farmer at UCLA or knew him from UCLA was out of Milwaukee. He too moved (Vegas?). Foster is the kids last name. Ultimately, selected Gonzaga that offered late.

Again, good talent, right skills but simply not enough of them offered that any stuck.

That leaves this spring. It will be interesting to see what Hawk decides here. He is losing two who both logged huge minutes for 4 years. Only if Dugan is healthy will someone effectively replace LaMont. I dont see anyone effectively replacing Wilder.

Considering both the junior and sophomore classes are light in talent will a JUCO who also fits the culture be viable? Would Hawk "change" his thinking here? Will there be kids who's fall commitment "changes" when the HC they signed with is canned? Did WMU have relationships with any of these possibilities that in such short notice they could effectively recruit such???

Will any of those from this past roster who aren't graduating leave on their own accord? How do you effectively fill that spot IF that individual did log a high number in minutes?

Time will tell.
03-08-2018 12:59 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

okgc Offline
Heisman

I Root For: WMU
RE: What next?
With the Bronco season over the staff has plenty of time to hit the road recruiting.
#1 priority still has to be a big to replace Drake.

AND Hawk has said he would consider a Juco or Grad transfer.
(This post was last modified: 03-08-2018 11:13 AM by okgc.)
03-08-2018 11:12 AM
gobaseline Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
(03-08-2018 11:12 AM)okgc Wrote:  With the Bronco season over the staff has plenty of time to hit the road recruiting.
#1 priority still has to be a big to replace Drake.

AND Hawk has said he would consider a Juco or Grad transfer.

I would argue 2 are needed. One a definite in kind to Seth and another to be a like in kind to compliment Brandon who too has a bum wheel.

I understand there are only 2 schollies to give. And that reports are a PG out of Montreal has given a verbal.

A lot changes in a short period of time.

I believe my assessment at the outset of conference play was accurate. This years team was Thomas Wilder and the rest. It didn't finish well last year and sadly didn't this year. I understand circumstances are involved but to be expected and handled. Quality depth that is utilized makes a heck of a difference. Thomas is now history and the rest gives me pause. There is talent there and maybe out of Thomas's shadow it will step forward. But even if so, you must have depth. The starting 5 (Seth included when healthy) had the potential to be very strong. But when "wheels blow" and decision making and execution run a muck you need other assets. To date those assets have not consistently stepped forward to move the needle forward.

Again, time will tell.
03-08-2018 12:14 PM
BroncoPhilly Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
The good thing about basketball is there are TONS of transfers every season. You can grab some talent and change the dynamics of your program lickety split.
03-08-2018 01:57 PM
okgc Offline
Heisman

Wyatt Walker (6-9 240lb) is departing Samford as Grad transfer with two years of eligiblity left.
Does Clayton still have Jacksonville contacts? Wyatt attended HS there.
(This post was last modified: 03-08-2018 03:58 PM by okgc.)
03-08-2018 03:56 PM
gobaseline Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
(03-08-2018 03:56 PM)okgc Wrote:  Wyatt Walker (6-9 240lb) is departing Samford as Grad transfer with two years of eligiblity left.

Can't just be anybody. Must move the needle forward. Hawk understands when a new AD comes in all bets are off. Many a qualified coach is let go for that AD's "guy". For good or bad.
03-08-2018 05:43 PM
Advertisement

okgc Offline
Heisman

(03-08-2018 05:43 PM)gobaseline Wrote:  
(03-08-2018 03:56 PM)okgc Wrote:  Wyatt Walker (6-9 240lb) is departing Samford as Grad transfer with two years of eligiblity left.

Can't just be anybody. Must move the needle forward. Hawk understands when a new AD comes in all bets are off. Many a qualified coach is let go for that AD's "guy". For good or bad.

Check out Wyatt’s stats at Samford. Illinois & others are recruiting him so probably will go high major.
03-08-2018 06:30 PM
ess Offline
1st String

I Root For: The individual
(03-08-2018 06:30 PM)okgc Wrote:  Check out Wyatt’s stats at Samford. Illinois & others are recruiting him so probably will go high major.

This^

Good looking out, though.
03-08-2018 06:41 PM
okgc Offline
Heisman

I really liked that WMU offered high last summer fall even thou didn't sign those recruits.

Would like to see them continue going after program changers.
Some years there may not be a hidden gem to find.
03-09-2018 08:54 AM
Chipdip2 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: America
(03-09-2018 08:54 AM)okgc Wrote:  I really liked that WMU offered high last summer fall even thou didn't sign those recruits.

The idea that because of our rotten facilities we can only get “hidden gems,” is a bit of a stretch. Brandon Johnson, Dave Kool, Dugan (15 offers), David Brown, Reggie Jones, Drews, Whitfield, Ward, Davis, Darius Paul, were not hidden gems. Even Austin Harper who never saw the floor here, had one good AAU game against John Wall and was getting offers.
(This post was last modified: 03-09-2018 09:31 AM by Chipdip2.)
03-09-2018 09:20 AM
flushtheherd Offline
Hall of Famer

(03-09-2018 09:20 AM)Chipdip2 Wrote:  
(03-09-2018 08:54 AM)okgc Wrote:  I really liked that WMU offered high last summer fall even thou didn't sign those recruits.

The idea that because of our rotten facilities we can only get “hidden gems,” is a bit of a stretch. Brandon Johnson, Dave Kool, Dugan (15 offers), David Brown, Reggie Jones, Drews, Whitfield, Ward, Davis, Darius Paul, were not hidden gems. Even Austin Harper who never saw the floor here, had one good AAU game against John Wall and was getting offers.

I don't think we are losing top end recruits just because of our facilities (however a nice shiny new practice facility couldn't hurt)... but Hawk really wants a facility for more than just recruiting. Not having to share facilities with everyone else means players can come and go when they please and practice more often on their own...
03-09-2018 11:32 AM
Advertisement

gobaseline Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
(03-08-2018 05:43 PM)gobaseline Wrote:  

Watched film on Walker. Great eyes and ability to deliver the ball to others. I haven't seen a passer in the post like that since Paul Griffin. Showed range but nothing off the bounce. Very adept albeit below the rim around the basket. Shows a high IQ.

Issue is clear. When healthy he can be good and why would he want to go from a middle of the pack SoCon team to the same in the MAC? He's from Florida, likes the beach and I cant see him even considering WMU. And I cant blame him.
04-07-2018 10:22 PM
okgc Offline
Heisman

Samford is also losing by grad transfer guards Cunningham and Coleman.
Also a sophmore guard transferring out.
(This post was last modified: 04-08-2018 04:20 AM by okgc.)
04-08-2018 04:11 AM
gobaseline Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:

Going ACC with Wolfpack out of Raleigh.
04-30-2018 10:31 PM
okgc Offline
Heisman

VC website shows two top Canadian players that have WMU offers & have made official visits here are visiting other places this week.
Cross your fingers and / or say a prayer if one thinks that might help. :)
05-01-2018 08:39 AM
BuickBronco Offline
Special Teams

If you don't think WMU is losing quality kids due to practice facilities I have ocean front property cheap in Schoolcraft. Go visit some of these places and see what they offer these players vs WMU.
05-01-2018 09:02 AM
Advertisement

ess Offline
1st String

(05-01-2018 09:02 AM)BuickBronco Wrote:  If you don't think WMU is losing quality kids due to practice facilities I have ocean front property cheap in Schoolcraft. Go visit some of these places and see what they offer these players vs WMU.

I am REALLY hoping that WMU's players don't embrace weakness, and cling to victimhood going forward.
(This post was last modified: 05-01-2018 06:11 PM by ess.)
05-01-2018 05:35 PM
gobaseline Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
(05-01-2018 09:02 AM)BuickBronco Wrote:  If you don't think WMU is losing quality kids due to practice facilities I have ocean front property cheap in Schoolcraft. Go visit some of these places and see what they offer these players vs WMU.

That is very possible. But also trite.
Why does a kid choose Villanova over DePaul? The fact that one is a winner (with nary a one and done) and the other not. And the talent difference has nothing to do with facilities.

When any program aggressively targets multiple higher end talent within their bandwidth or slightly higher they’ll land enough each year that if coached up well that program will be viewed as a winner.

If that and you get buttocks in the seats $ will begin to flow. Like water it will find its natural level. Then you can apply window dressing as in a practice facility.
05-01-2018 05:50 PM
okgc Offline
Heisman

05-01-2018 07:02 PM
ess Offline
1st String

Quote:"I have no guaranteed spot on the team unless I prove it," Toliver said. "They weren't going to sugar coat anything, and I appreciate that.

"We'll see where we're at in the future, but right now money isn't a huge issue to me, I just want to chase my dream."

Gotta respect this.
05-01-2018 07:13 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.