Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

MBB Recruiting
OldOwl Offline
1st String

I Root For: Rice Owls
MBB Recruiting
I was just curious why Rice cannot even recruit in their own backyard for any of the top recruits?

https://www.chron.com/sports/highschool/...o-15174314
(This post was last modified: 03-06-2018 11:13 PM by OldOwl.)
03-06-2018 11:11 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

flash3200 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Rice/EOLRRF
RE: MBB Recruiting
(03-06-2018 11:11 PM)OldOwl Wrote:  I was just curious why Rice cannot even recruit in their own backyard for any of the top recruits?

Our MBB program is so far out in the desert right now that it would easy to list a huge list of hypotheticals. Interesting to see a few guys on the list going to other CUSA schools so you can toss out the "who wants to play in CUSA in tiny gyms" argument. It is noteworthy that only one kid is going to a top tier university (Northwestern), so perhaps academics is an issue for some (I wonder how many AP classes ProVision Academy has...).
03-07-2018 12:04 AM
elw4796 Online
Heisman

I Root For: Rice
Have to take the 2018 class with a grain of salt for a couple of reasons. When Rhoades and his staff were recruiting we only had one 2018 spot available, so I'm sure they were focusing on a couple guys really closely. Also, a large majority of these guys probably don't have the academic chops for Rice. I do think we need to focus on Houston more, though. A rundown of some of the guys on that list that I know we touched base on at some point:

Grimes: targeted by Rhoades before he blew up, but we're never gonna beat Kentucky/Kansas/etc.
Kopp: Both he and his younger brother visited Rice but he also blew up. His brother is a 2019 who I bet we still look at
Hawkins: Was a Rhoades target before he left
Sjolund: Was always going high-major
Byrd: Was a major Rhoades target which is why he's heading to VCU (might've gotten him had Rhoades stayed)
Sanni: Was a Rice target and he was considering us at some point
(This post was last modified: 03-07-2018 12:23 AM by elw4796.)
03-07-2018 12:23 AM
cr11owl Offline
All American

(03-07-2018 12:23 AM)elw4796 Wrote:  Have to take the 2018 class with a grain of salt for a couple of reasons. When Rhoades and his staff were recruiting we only had one 2018 spot available, so I'm sure they were focusing on a couple guys really closely. Also, a large majority of these guys probably don't have the academic chops for Rice. I do think we need to focus on Houston more, though. A rundown of some of the guys on that list that I know we touched base on at some point:

Grimes: targeted by Rhoades before he blew up, but we're never gonna beat Kentucky/Kansas/etc.
Kopp: Both he and his younger brother visited Rice but he also blew up. His brother is a 2019 who I bet we still look at
Byrd: Was a major Rhoades target which is why he's heading to VCU (might've gotten him had Rhoades stayed)

Agree with everything above. The guys we have signed for next year would be in the top 10 or so of that group by rankings. Rhoades was already targeting half those kids and were always going to lose some to high majors or academics. I’d like to get a kid from the Houston top 5 or so every year but if we can get better players from elsewhere why would we ever limit ourselves to that?
03-07-2018 07:54 AM
Advertisement

Mademen Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: UH
(03-07-2018 12:04 AM)flash3200 Wrote:  
(03-06-2018 11:11 PM)OldOwl Wrote:  I was just curious why Rice cannot even recruit in their own backyard for any of the top recruits?

Our MBB program is so far out in the desert right now that it would easy to list a huge list of hypotheticals. Interesting to see a few guys on the list going to other CUSA schools so you can toss out the "who wants to play in CUSA in tiny gyms" argument. It is noteworthy that only one kid is going to a top tier university (Northwestern), so perhaps academics is an issue for some (I wonder how many AP classes ProVision Academy has...).
I too am not sure what AP offerings occur at Pro Vision, but, the work being done at Pro Vision Academy is incredibly important. Jeff Van Gundy is on the BOT for the school which was founded by a former Philadelphia Eagle Roynell Young. They are located in literally the poorest neighborhood in Houston and are taking in troubled youth who would otherwise have no path out of poverty. I would highly recommend taking a tour of the school if you have free time. Truly groundbreaking work not only in education, but in preparing students for a career after high school. This is a non-profit definitely worth your time and treasure if you so choose.

One of the cool things they have done is create a sustainable farm that is maintained completely by the students. The students then go and sell the fruits and vegetables at a discount in the impoverished neighborhood so that they folks in Sunnyside have access to nutritious food items that they otherwise could not acquire at a grocery store.
03-07-2018 09:03 AM
OldOwl Offline
1st String

Well Rhoades were recruiting these kids while at Rice and one is actually going to VCU so I assume they have the grades to come to Rice. Pera just needs to recruit Texas better or he will never be successful because of guys transferring out..
(03-07-2018 12:23 AM)elw4796 Wrote:  Have to take the 2018 class with a grain of salt for a couple of reasons. When Rhoades and his staff were recruiting we only had one 2018 spot available, so I'm sure they were focusing on a couple guys really closely. Also, a large majority of these guys probably don't have the academic chops for Rice. I do think we need to focus on Houston more, though. A rundown of some of the guys on that list that I know we touched base on at some point:

03-07-2018 12:03 PM
cr11owl Offline
All American

(03-07-2018 12:03 PM)OldOwl Wrote:  Well Rhoades were recruiting these kids while at Rice and one is actually going to VCU so I assume they have the grades to come to Rice. Pera just needs to recruit Texas better or he will never be successful because of guys transferring out..

What does a kid going to VCU have to do with having grades to go to Rice? As mentioned above we should target the top 10 from Houston for sure, but you’re crazy if you think he’s going to get kids that have offers from UK, KU, OU or big 10 teams at least anytime soon.
03-07-2018 12:21 PM
Advertisement

flash3200 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Rice/EOLRRF
I think the best we can hope for on some of these local recruits is that they go to the big-name schools, don't get a lot of playing time, determine they aren't on a NBA track, and then make a move back to be closer to home (as with Ogwumike) and upgrade their degree. So in that thought, we should keep recruiting them just to establish contact in case they have regrets w/ the big name schools and decide to re-assess their secondary options. No reason we can't play the transfer game as well.
03-07-2018 12:35 PM
OldOwl Offline
1st String

You didn’t understand. I said Rhoades was recruiting these guys while he was coaching at Rice. Thus, they probably had
the grades to get into Rice.
(03-07-2018 12:21 PM)cr11owl Wrote:  
(03-07-2018 12:03 PM)OldOwl Wrote:  Well Rhoades were recruiting these kids while at Rice and one is actually going to VCU so I assume they have the grades to come to Rice. Pera just needs to recruit Texas better or he will never be successful because of guys transferring out..

What does a kid going to VCU have to do with having grades to go to Rice? As mentioned above we should target the top 10 from Houston for sure, but you’re crazy if you think he’s going to get kids that have offers from UK, KU, OU or big 10 teams at least anytime soon.
03-07-2018 03:50 PM
cr11owl Offline
All American

(03-07-2018 03:50 PM)OldOwl Wrote:  You didn’t understand. I said Rhoades was recruiting these guys while he was coaching at Rice. Thus, they probably had
the grades to get into Rice.
(03-07-2018 12:21 PM)cr11owl Wrote:  

I did understand, but you followed it up by stating a kid is going to VCU which doesn’t have anything to do with academic qualification. We aren’t in a position to beat UK, KU, NW, GT, VCU for recruits right now.

Clearly our coach and 2 of our starters thought VCU was an upgrade. Why wouldn’t a recruit?
03-07-2018 03:59 PM
Advertisement

Da.Owl Offline
Rs.for.Cars@gmail.com

I Root For: The Rice Owls

Folding@NCAAbbsFolding@NCAAbbsNew Orleans BowlDonatorsThe Parliament Awards

Letcher-Ellis didn't work out so well
03-07-2018 04:27 PM
WRCisforgotten79 Offline
Hall of Famer

(03-07-2018 03:59 PM)cr11owl Wrote:  I did understand, but you followed it up by stating a kid is going to VCU which doesn’t have anything to do with academic qualification. We aren’t in a position to beat UK, KU, NW, GT, VCU for recruits right now.

Clearly our coach and 2 of our starters thought VCU was an upgrade. Why wouldn’t a recruit?

All but 56 of 351 teams are upgrades over Rice.
03-07-2018 05:33 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Antarius Offline
Say no to cronyism

(03-07-2018 05:33 PM)WRCisforgotten79 Wrote:  
(03-07-2018 03:59 PM)cr11owl Wrote:  I did understand, but you followed it up by stating a kid is going to VCU which doesn’t have anything to do with academic qualification. We aren’t in a position to beat UK, KU, NW, GT, VCU for recruits right now.

Which is amazing, because we look f-ing awful. Amazing that there are 56 teams worse than us.
03-07-2018 07:49 PM
Advertisement

WRCisforgotten79 Offline
Hall of Famer

(03-07-2018 07:49 PM)Antarius Wrote:  

Which is amazing, because we look f-ing awful. Amazing that there are 56 teams worse than us.

Thank goodness for the SWAC and the MEAC (19 of those 56 are from those two conferences).
(This post was last modified: 03-07-2018 08:13 PM by WRCisforgotten79.)
03-07-2018 08:12 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
cr11owl Offline
All American

(03-07-2018 07:49 PM)Antarius Wrote:  

We had games where we looked respectable for 25 minutes. Got to put it all together next season. Speaking of which....

https://twitter.com/josh2x_/status/97152...65057?s=21
03-07-2018 09:57 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.