Open TigerLinks

Memphis Tigers could miss Grizzlies payment after worst attendance in 50 years
Bookmark and Share
k2tigers Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Memphis
Donators
Memphis Tigers could miss Grizzlies payment after worst attendance in 50 years
Getting a new recruit is great,,,,thinking about the big picture is what leaders do

https://www.commercialappeal.com/story/s...380634002/

This all comes on the heels of coach Tubby Smith’s first season a year ago, when the Tigers’ announced attendance hit a 35-year low.

When asked Saturday whether he is concerned that a large portion of the fan base hasn’t bought into his vision for the program after two years on the job, Smith noted sagging attendance is due to lots of factors.

“We were picked to finish ninth, 12th in some polls, in this league, so it was hard from the beginning. That was one of the troublesome things to start with,” he said in response. “I thought our guys have overachieved in some ways and I’m certain that fans take awhile to understand and appreciate that when you have to restore and rebuild and rejuvenate, it takes awhile. This didn’t happen in a year. It’s probably something that’s been happening awhile.”

“Every program I’ve ever gone into it’s been the case, except a place like Kentucky maybe. That’s why changes are made, and unfortunately we had the setback last year in the way we finished the season and had to go out and get so many new players. I guess (fans) weren’t told we had the No. 1 recruiting class in the league. That’s why we’ve been able to achieve what we’ve been able to achieve.”

Memphis will be looking to bounce back from an embarrassing 75-51 loss to South Florida, the American Athletic Conference’s worst team.

More: Memphis coach Tubby Smith left 'baffled' by Tigers' lopsided loss to USF

Smith called it the most disappointing performance of the season. Senior Jimario Rivers said the team wants to “show the fans that was just a fluke night.”

Moffatt noted on Saturday that it took two hours for Smith to break down a 12-minute segment of game film from the USF loss. But it’s these man hours put in that make the bleak attendance numbers so hard to stomach for him.

The Somerville native is living out a dream this season after rooting for the Tigers growing up. Smith put Moffatt on scholarship for the first time this fall and credited him with providing a steadying voice for the program's 11 new players.

But Moffatt is also aware, at least anecdotally, that the fans that once made Memphis basketball games a hot ticket aren't showing up in droves anymore.

“Of course we noticed when we were running out to 1,000 people ... and it’s frustrating because we’re working hard,” Moffatt said. “We’re doing everything we can.”
(This post was last modified: 03-03-2018 08:34 PM by k2tigers.)
03-03-2018 08:30 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

k2tigers Offline
Hall of Famer

Donators
RE: Memphis Tigers could miss Grizzlies payment after worst attendance in 50 years
“Of course we noticed when we were running out to 1,000 people ... and it’s frustrating because we’re working hard,” Moffatt said. “We’re doing everything we can.”

sad folks, just so sad

Tubby thinks there needs to be a marketing research firm to help explain this

and always goes back to his Kentucky days as a fallback and thinks we are light years beneath a program like that
03-03-2018 08:46 PM
ncrdbl1 Online
Legend

I Root For: Memphis Tigers
RE: Memphis Tigers could miss Grizzlies payment after worst attendance in 50 years
[Image: Fotolia_49864694_Subscription_Monthly_M_...038730.jpg]
03-03-2018 09:12 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
UofMark Offline
Heisman

What are we wishing for?
03-03-2018 09:19 PM
Advertisement

AlonsoWDC Offline
Hall of Famer

JFC

I didn't even realize Moffatt remained on the team after last season, let alone received a scholly.

True rock bottom for Tigers basketball - Fayette Academy player
03-03-2018 09:21 PM
Stammers Offline
Legend

Kind of like paying tubby $3.8 million this year and $4.05 million next year instead of saying we are losing 800k of revenue. The best thing about Tubby is that it gives the accountants different ways to show how we aren't losing revenue.
03-03-2018 09:29 PM
MemphisTigerPawr Offline
Jesus is the risen LORD and Savior

I Root For: TIGERS

Donators
So Tubby runs off all his best returning players or fails to rerecruit them and then he claims he has to restore, rebuild and rejuvenate the program? He must think Tiger fans are schmuks. Setback? #1 recruiting class? What exactly have we achieved? We are 166 and not even sniffing the post season. I'm sorry but it really irks me to hear him spin it this way. It is insulting.
03-03-2018 10:32 PM
Advertisement

Tigergary Offline
All American

I Root For: Tigers
(03-03-2018 10:32 PM)MemphisTigerPawr Wrote:  So Tubby runs off all his best returning players or fails to rerecruit them and then he claims he has to restore, rebuild and rejuvenate the program? He must think Tiger fans are schmuks. Setback? #1 recruiting class? What exactly have we achieved? We are 166 and not even sniffing the post season. I'm sorry but it really irks me to hear him spin it this way. It is insulting.

Indeed. The man never says I got to do better. It all falls on my shoulders. No, it's "im at a loss"
03-03-2018 10:43 PM
Stammers Offline
Legend

(03-03-2018 10:32 PM)MemphisTigerPawr Wrote:  So Tubby runs off all his best returning players or fails to rerecruit them and then he claims he has to restore, rebuild and rejuvenate the program? He must think Tiger fans are schmuks. Setback? #1 recruiting class? What exactly have we achieved? We are 166 and not even sniffing the post season. I'm sorry but it really irks me to hear him spin it this way. It is insulting.

4 or 5 schmucks are all in.
03-03-2018 10:59 PM
Joe1 Offline
Larry's Friend

I Root For: Memphis Tigers

We have another winner. That’s two for you today!
03-03-2018 11:28 PM
Advertisement

thagr82008 Offline
Banned

I Root For: MEMPHOBABEE
(03-03-2018 10:43 PM)Tigergary Wrote:  

Indeed. The man never says I got to do better. It all falls on my shoulders. No, it's "im at a loss"

(03-03-2018 11:28 PM)Joe1 Wrote:  

We have another winner. That’s two for you today!

This is exactly correct...Tubby walked into a situation that was ready made for guidance direction and success.....Because "The Lawsons" were NOT the types of players that he would recruit. He imploded "reNuked" the program along with ANY players that were supportive of "The Lawsons" point of view....They obviously didn't appreci8 the disdain, way they were being ostracized and voiced their displeasure...

Now, we are the laughing stock,KU has improved and will WIN the Championship next year, MTSU would woop our arse and Markel wasn't even pursued to continue playing here...Meanwhile TUBBs in garnering TOP 10 pay......WE ARE THE LAUGHINGSTOCK and the butt of ALL of his jokes
(This post was last modified: 03-03-2018 11:47 PM by thagr82008.)
03-03-2018 11:46 PM
Tiger1983 Offline
BBA

I Root For: Tigers - GTG!

DonatorsDonatorsDonators
Before blaming the fans, Tubby needs to go to and win games at the NCAA Tourney and recruit a roster capable of ongoing success.
03-04-2018 08:31 AM
Hernando Hills Tiger Offline
High score: 819 (credit)

I Root For: USA

DonatorsFolding@NCAAbbsFolding@NCAAbbs
(03-04-2018 08:31 AM)Tiger1983 Wrote:  Before blaming the fans, Tubby needs to go to and win games at the NCAA Tourney and recruit a roster capable of ongoing success.

He's making sure he doesn't win too much too soon like at Kentucky. Seems to be working for him.
03-04-2018 09:11 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Born2Steel Offline
Water Engineer

Money talks. Right now money is screaming.
03-04-2018 09:15 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.