Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

AP: Sun Belt signs 8-year deal w/ ESPN; more revenue
Bookmark and Share
CardinalBlackTrojan Offline

I Root For: TROY
AP: Sun Belt signs 8-year deal w/ ESPN; more revenue
https://collegefootball.ap.org/article/a...-deal-espn

A person with knowledge of the deal says the Sun Belt Conference has signed a new eight-year contract with ESPN that gives the network exclusive rights to all of the league's sports.

The person spoke to The Associated Press on condition of anonymity Thursday because the conference had not yet announced the deal. The person would not disclose financial details, but says the deal will increase annual payouts to Sun Belt members. The current ESPN contract pays schools about $100,000 per year.

The person says Sun Belt sports will become a key part of ESPN Plus, the network's new streaming service set to debut in late March or April. The Sun Belt has 10 members that play major college football and two more that compete in other sports.
03-01-2018 12:57 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

TroyFootball05 Online
1987 Man of the Year

I Root For: Good Times
RE: AP: Sun Belt signs 8-year deal w/ ESPN; more revenue
(03-01-2018 12:57 PM)CardinalBlackTrojan Wrote:  The person says Sun Belt sports will become a key part of ESPN Plus, the network's new streaming service set to debut in late March or April. The Sun Belt has 10 members that play major college football and two more that compete in other sports.

Does this mean no more ESPN3 games?
03-01-2018 01:56 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
arkstfan Away
Sorry folks

I Root For: Fresh Starts
(03-01-2018 01:56 PM)TroyFootball05 Wrote:  
(03-01-2018 12:57 PM)CardinalBlackTrojan Wrote:  The person says Sun Belt sports will become a key part of ESPN Plus, the network's new streaming service set to debut in late March or April. The Sun Belt has 10 members that play major college football and two more that compete in other sports.

Does this mean no more ESPN3 games?

There will be some stuff, just not as much
03-01-2018 02:02 PM
CAJUNNATION Offline
1st String

I Root For: Western Civilization
Silly question here.

Would this new ESPN+ only be visible through the internet?
03-01-2018 02:15 PM
AirRaidTrojan Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Troy
ESPN+ will be a streaming service like Netflix, Hulu, WWE Network, etc.

You will pay a flat fee and have on-demand access to games and such. (Kind of like ESPN3, but behind a paywall now.)
03-01-2018 02:17 PM
TrueBlueDrew Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Jawjuh Suthen
(03-01-2018 02:15 PM)CAJUNNATION Wrote:  Silly question here.

Would this new ESPN+ only be visible through the internet?

Yes it's a streaming service. Although, most tv nowadays connect to the internet and let you stream right on the screen.
03-01-2018 02:18 PM
Advertisement

CAJUNNATION Offline
1st String

I Root For: Western Civilization
If this new deal would mean that we had zero games through non-internet channels, I would not be in favor of it.
03-01-2018 02:22 PM
EigenEagle Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Ga Southern
(03-01-2018 02:22 PM)CAJUNNATION Wrote:  If this new deal would mean that we had zero games through non-internet channels, I would not be in favor of it.

There is no way ESPN is going to pay us what we're getting now for no weekday games. That would be a bad deal for them.
03-01-2018 02:24 PM

(03-01-2018 02:22 PM)CAJUNNATION Wrote:  If this new deal would mean that we had zero games through non-internet channels, I would not be in favor of it.

I would imagine ESPN is still going to have "non-internet" games on ESPN/ESPN2. They need them for their inventory.
03-01-2018 02:31 PM
Saint3333 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: App State
(03-01-2018 02:31 PM)CardinalBlackTrojan Wrote:  

I would imagine ESPN is still going to have "non-internet" games on ESPN/ESPN2. They need them for their inventory.

Nah they'll fill ESPN with political pieces.
03-01-2018 02:42 PM
eaglewraith Offline
Heisman

I Root For: GA Southern
I was mistaken that this service would remove the necessity for a cable subscription. This is being referred to as an "Over The Top" or OTT option for viewing additional content.

Quote:Unfortunately, ESPN Plus will not contain access to SportsCenter or to live ESPN channels, as Iger says Disney will not make ESPN Plus available unless you’re a “traditional or non-traditional” subscriber of standard ESPN.

My concern would be if our streaming options are now no longer "free" to view via ESPN3.
03-01-2018 02:53 PM
Advertisement

Come on 4pm. Looking forward to details...
03-01-2018 03:02 PM
MWC Tex Offline
Heisman

I Root For: MW
http://sunbeltsports.org/news/2018/3/1/g...-espn.aspx

Not much in details of $$ but this the MAC deal in total by signing over everything to ESPN. ESPN gets another sucker...first the MAC and now the SunBelt. CUSA will make the same deal I'm sure.

I actually thought Stadium would be involved with the SunBelt....guess Benson just wanted ESPN in total instead.
03-01-2018 03:33 PM
TroyFootball05 Online
1987 Man of the Year

I Root For: Good Times
(03-01-2018 02:53 PM)eaglewraith Wrote:  I was mistaken that this service would remove the necessity for a cable subscription. This is being referred to as an "Over The Top" or OTT option for viewing additional content.

Quote:Unfortunately, ESPN Plus will not contain access to SportsCenter or to live ESPN channels, as Iger says Disney will not make ESPN Plus available unless you’re a “traditional or non-traditional” subscriber of standard ESPN.

My concern would be if our streaming options are now no longer "free" to view via ESPN3.

Says it's $4.99, I'm guessing that's per month. Don't like having to pay for what has been free, but $4.99 isn't terrible, and we've only had entire seasons on ESPN3 for a few years. It's better than the prior model where you couldn't watch most SBC games anywhere but in person.
03-01-2018 03:46 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
ValleyBoy Online
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: GaSo,Troy
Beginning in the 2020-21 Academic year every Sun Belt Home Football, Men's & Women's basketball game will be on an EP platform. Minimum of 500 events year.
03-01-2018 03:51 PM
glsjunior74 Offline
2nd String

I Root For: GSU
My GF has Direct t.v. Now which is 100% streaming. The world is moving in that direction and maybe it can do for us what Tuesday MACtion did for the MAC
03-01-2018 03:56 PM
Advertisement

stAte_3 Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Arkansas State
At least 10 football games a year will be on ESPN, ESPN2, ABC, or ESPNU.
03-01-2018 03:56 PM

(03-01-2018 03:51 PM)ValleyBoy Wrote:  Beginning in the 2020-21 Academic year every Sun Belt Home Football, Men's & Women's basketball game will be on an EP platform. Minimum of 500 events year.

This is what I like. There are some basketball and baseball games I currently have to listen to the radio for. Now we'll be able to watch them, and not on some crap online production like Sidearm Sports or whatever some of our schools use.

(03-01-2018 03:56 PM)stAte_3 Wrote:  At least 10 football games a year will be on ESPN, ESPN2, ABC, or ESPNU.

Wasn't the previous 7 in total? With it being bumped up to 10, this is good stuff.

(03-01-2018 03:33 PM)MWC Tex Wrote:  Not much in details of $$ but this the MAC deal in total by signing over everything to ESPN. ESPN gets another sucker...first the MAC and now the SunBelt. CUSA will make the same deal I'm sure.

I actually thought Stadium would be involved with the SunBelt....guess Benson just wanted ESPN in total instead.

It's not quite MACtion. This seems to be a lot different in many aspects. We're also not signing over almost all home games to be played on weekdays, which the MAC does.
(This post was last modified: 03-01-2018 04:00 PM by CardinalBlackTrojan.)
03-01-2018 03:57 PM
eaglewraith Offline
Heisman

I Root For: GA Southern
(03-01-2018 03:46 PM)TroyFootball05 Wrote:  
(03-01-2018 02:53 PM)eaglewraith Wrote:  I was mistaken that this service would remove the necessity for a cable subscription. This is being referred to as an "Over The Top" or OTT option for viewing additional content.

Says it's $4.99, I'm guessing that's per month. Don't like having to pay for what has been free, but $4.99 isn't terrible, and we've only had entire seasons on ESPN3 for a few years. It's better than the prior model where you couldn't watch most SBC games anywhere but in person.

I mean I'll pay for it, no doubt.

The reason I call it an issue is the casual fan access. You've put a potential barrier in place for them to have entry to your product.

The question becomes, is the old ESPN3 what becomes the new ESPN Plus? If that's the case, then all that content will now be available through the same gateway and you're not excluding anyone.
03-01-2018 04:13 PM
arkstfan Away
Sorry folks

I Root For: Fresh Starts
I've done the math.

Pretty sure ESPN+ is also going to include out-of-market MLB and NHL subject to local blackout (ie. in Arkansas no Royals, Cardinals, Rangers, Astros or Dallas Stars).

ESPN owns the company that owns the NHL and MLB streaming rights. If they can get ESPN+ into as many homes as Hulu they will make $1 billion a year instead of the maybe as much as $600 million they are making now on those services.
(This post was last modified: 03-01-2018 05:20 PM by arkstfan.)
03-01-2018 05:18 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.