Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Towson # 3 (Third Time is the Charm)
Bookmark and Share
Naptown Tribe Offline
All American

I Root For: William & Mary
Here are some interesting quotes from TU Coach Skerry following their last game’s loss to Hofstra. Senior guard Brian Starr didn’t play in the game and it sounds like his status is unknown for this Sunday against us. Would be a huge loss for them with Moorman already gone.

Skerry seems frustrated with their undisciplined play of late. If we keep our heads, play smart, hard and together with the heart, will, and teamwork we are capable of I really like our chances.

Here are Skerry’s quotes:

“We're going to play hard. We're supposed to play hard. That's what we do at Towson. I'm happy with the effort. We lost on mental errors. Great efforts from our sophomores. Next Sunday is our Super Bowl. Guys have to get mentally tougher. Eddie silly technical that really affected the ball game. No excuses. Mike silly fouls. He's a senior. Our sophomores are good. Everybody is good at this time of the year. We'll see what we're made of. We don't know if we'll have Brian. We're capable of more. It's a grind with some of these guys. Zane bounced back. I like that he had had six assists. Justin, didn't like his last foul. HE's a really good player. Heck of a second half of the season. He's going to be very good at power forward. I have other guys that need to give more. That's what has me really frustrated right now. Jordan and Dennis having surgery after the season. Hopefully getting Brian back next week. I'm going to get go out on the road and get a couple of good players because we have to scholarships available."
02-25-2018 10:23 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

WM_Destro Online
Special Teams

RE: Towson # 3 (Third Time is the Charm)
Towson's gameplan against us is quite simple. Dribble as hard as you can to the hoop from the perimeter. When our guys get beat, the collapsing help defense commits the foul (often with an "and 1") or gives up a layup/easy tip in. That happened virtually every Towson offensive possession at their place and kept them in the game. We had no answers but I sure hope we find some in the next week.
02-25-2018 10:48 PM
LeadBolt Online
All American

Stay in front of the ball, position to take charges, box out practice this week?
(This post was last modified: 02-26-2018 06:21 AM by LeadBolt.)
02-26-2018 06:21 AM
mrjoolius Online
Hall of Famer

(02-26-2018 06:21 AM)LeadBolt Wrote:  Stay in front of the ball, position to take charges, box out practice this week?
This week? That's defensive basketball 101. If they couldn't play team ball position defense and box out most of the season, I'm pretty sure a switch isn't just going to come on.

Like it or not, they need to ride the horse that brought them here. Run, shoot, and score more than the other team. If the Tribe get their core guys scoring efficiently and a couple of opportune stops here and there, they will be in good shape. It's nice to say limit penetration and offensive rebounds, but I'm not sure if we are equipped to stop it.
02-26-2018 06:33 AM
LeadBolt Online
All American

(02-26-2018 06:33 AM)mrjoolius Wrote:  
(02-26-2018 06:21 AM)LeadBolt Wrote:  Stay in front of the ball, position to take charges, box out practice this week?
This week? That's defensive basketball 101. If they couldn't play team ball position defense and box out most of the season, I'm pretty sure a switch isn't just going to come on.

Like it or not, they need to ride the horse that brought them here. Run, shoot, and score more than the other team. If the Tribe get their core guys scoring efficiently and a couple of opportune stops here and there, they will be in good shape. It's nice to say limit penetration and offensive rebounds, but I'm not sure if we are equipped to stop it.

I get it, but I feel as if they have what brought them here down pat, and they are very good at it.

I wouldn't expect a great change, but a 1 possession improvement for every 10 minutes of game time would be huge in the opportune stop category.
02-26-2018 06:38 AM
WM Beancounter Offline
Special Teams

Starr is sick and hasn't played in either of towson's last 2 games, both losses. Speculation is that he may not play in the tournament. That would leave Towson without 2 players that accounted for 28 points in our loss in Maryland, and 24 points in our home loss to the Tigers. Not insignificant, especially considering one player is their starting point guard who averages 30+ minutes.

But if there is one thing about Towson teams, it is that they are always deep, physical, and talented. They'll be fine.
02-26-2018 06:44 AM
Advertisement

mrjoolius Online
Hall of Famer

(02-26-2018 06:38 AM)LeadBolt Wrote:  I wouldn't expect a great change, but a 1 possession improvement for every 10 minutes of game time would be huge in the opportune stop category.

I think the opportunistic improvements come from things that they can control. Limit unforced turnovers and make free throws. I'm not looking at stats, but I'd be pretty positive that we are undefeated in games where we don't turn the ball over and hit free throws at a high level. Match possession for possession, this is a hard team to keep pace with. Only way for opponents to balance out the scoring is to generate extra scoring opportunities.

I'm amazed that many teams put up a lot of long range shots against us. The best offense is simply penetrate to the hoop. We have shown incapable of consistently stopping it. Guard drives with the score/ get fouled while also causing us to rotate leaving open rebounding lanes. Since we don't rotate well or box out well, this is killer. And, the rotator is usually Nathan. He generally gets pulled out of position to foul, leave his man for a lay in, or take half of our rebounding out of the play. Paint shots are higher percentage than jacking up 3's. The long rebounds lead to transition buckets and open 3's- all Tribe strengths.
(This post was last modified: 02-26-2018 07:33 AM by mrjoolius.)
02-26-2018 07:30 AM
Tribeheart Offline
Heisman

First game we jumped to a big lead in the first half, then gave it all back early. Second game we jumped to a big lead in the second half before giving it all back and losing in OT. Maybe, the strategy is lull them to sleep by waiting to run out to a big lead late in the second half before we have time left to give it all back and lose.

Sent from my SM-N910V using CSNbbs mobile app
02-26-2018 08:36 AM
WM Beancounter Offline
Special Teams

Small correction... in the first game, WM jumped out to a big lead early, and then David Cohn did a stupid little dance in front of the Towson bench, and nothing has been quite the same since
02-26-2018 09:29 AM
Naptown Tribe Offline
All American

Towson went zone in the 2nd half of the 2nd game and threw us way out of whack. If they do that again, I hope we attack it like we have ever since that game with Justin at the High post in the soft spot around the FT line, get the ball to him and let him attack by either shooting the mid range jumper, driving, hitting Nate down low or kicking to the wing.

Towson’s guards pressure the ball and our perimeter guys hard in their zone. The High post is wide open and Justin can crush them in it. Also having Milon cut back door some when Justin has the ball at the post is open as well.
(This post was last modified: 02-26-2018 09:45 AM by Naptown Tribe.)
02-26-2018 09:43 AM
Zorch Offline
All American

I Root For: W&M
(02-26-2018 07:30 AM)mrjoolius Wrote:  Limit unforced turnovers and make free throws.

I'm amazed that many teams put up a lot of long range shots against us. The best offense is simply penetrate to the hoop. We have shown incapable of consistently stopping it. Guard drives with the score/ get fouled while also causing us to rotate leaving open rebounding lanes. Since we don't rotate well or box out well, this is killer. And, the rotator is usually Nathan. He generally gets pulled out of position to foul, leave his man for a lay in, or take half of our rebounding out of the play. Paint shots are higher percentage than jacking up 3's. The long rebounds lead to transition buckets and open 3's- all Tribe strengths.

YES!! on the first sentence above.

For the second paragraph: ssh - don't give them any ideas! 03-lmfao
02-26-2018 11:28 AM
Advertisement

mrjoolius Online
Hall of Famer

(02-26-2018 11:28 AM)Zorch Wrote:  
(02-26-2018 07:30 AM)mrjoolius Wrote:  Limit unforced turnovers and make free throws.

YES!! on the first sentence above.

For the second paragraph: ssh - don't give them any ideas! 03-lmfao
If Towson is relying on message boards for their strategy sessions, we have already won.

Plus, if they are, I expect to be compensated. I'm looking at you Pat Skerry. I know you are monitoring this thread.
02-26-2018 11:34 AM
WMInTheBurg Offline
All American

The problem with driving all the time is that you only get 2 points for a layup. If we're hitting our shots, opponents need more than that.
02-26-2018 05:57 PM
Tribeheart Offline
Heisman

Think most teams have chosen to allow us back doors, penetration, and leaving Nathan single covered in the post, as preference to allowing us to reach our 3 pt fg % because they can't match us beyond the arc.

Thought about a different strategy on Saturday in the last minutes of regulation, as Charleston got it to OT by fouling and trading our two FT's for their three point shots. Would be an unusual move with the lead to mirror the other team fouling us by fouling them right back, but it would still play to our strength and prevent them from trading 3's for our 2 FT's.

Always a chess match, and I think Tony excels at in-game moves/adjustments in the CAA tournament. Harder for other teams to be prepared for us in the semis/finals. Worry more about Towson having a whole week to focus only on us. Hope Tony has some wrinkles up his sleeve, if needed.

(This post was last modified: 02-26-2018 07:25 PM by Tribeheart.)
02-26-2018 07:10 PM
Sitting bull Offline
All American

It's simpler than all this.

Shaver has to want to beat Skerry more than Skerry wants to beat W&M.
02-26-2018 08:36 PM
NC Tribe Offline
1st String

I Root For: W&M, JMU
OK, how many Towson players who played against W&M in games 1 & 2 won't be on the court for game 3?

I haven't followed this, so this is a serious question based on comments I have seen in other threads.

Another question, I booked a room for two nights (Saturday and Sunday since I will watch the play in games on Saturday). Am I jinxing the Tribe if I don't cancel the room for Sunday night since I could drive home after the 2:30 game ends on Sunday?

I want to have faith, but I don't want to "touch the money" and jinx our boys.

Go Tribe, keep me in at the tourney for a good long time.
02-26-2018 10:12 PM
Advertisement

Tribeheart Offline
Heisman

(02-26-2018 10:12 PM)NC Tribe Wrote:  OK, how many Towson players who played against W&M in games 1 & 2 won't be on the court for game 3?

One player (Moorman) for sure, possibly two (Starr).

I'm going with Knight's mantra about the Tribe holy grail....Speak it into becoming true.... Keep that Sunday reservation.

(This post was last modified: 02-26-2018 11:18 PM by Tribeheart.)
02-26-2018 10:36 PM
Zorch Offline
All American

(02-26-2018 05:57 PM)TribeInTheBurg Wrote:  The problem with driving all the time is that you only get 2 points for a layup. If we're hitting our shots, opponents need more than that.

Well, they get more than 2 when the Tribe is called for a foul on every single drive and the opponent gets mucho free throws.
02-27-2018 12:16 AM
mrjoolius Online
Hall of Famer

(02-27-2018 12:16 AM)Zorch Wrote:  
(02-26-2018 05:57 PM)TribeInTheBurg Wrote:  The problem with driving all the time is that you only get 2 points for a layup. If we're hitting our shots, opponents need more than that.

Well, they get more than 2 when the Tribe is called for a foul on every single drive and the opponent gets mucho free throws.
That's where turning us over comes in to play. Extra possessions with higher percentage shots is effective against our 3 pt shooting.
02-27-2018 05:21 AM
Naptown Tribe Offline
All American

Has anyone heard any updated info on if Starr is expected to play tomorrow?

I’m excited for the tournament to get rolling!
03-03-2018 11:55 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.