Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Early this season...
Bookmark and Share
NMSUPistolPete Offline
All American

I Root For: NMSU
Early this season...
I thought Jarkel Joiner would win WAC Freshman of the Year honors. But now I think Alessandro Lever is the shoe in for the honor. He has been a beast pretty much since mid January.
(This post was last modified: 02-25-2018 05:23 PM by NMSUPistolPete.)
02-25-2018 01:42 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

RunnerBall Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: CSUB
RE: Early this season...
Yah, I dont think Joiner did as much as some thought he might this year. The consistency wasn't there, despite SOME good game performances and adjustment to college ball.

Go Condors!!
http://www.bakersfieldcondors.com/category/news/
02-25-2018 01:55 PM
gleadley Offline
1st String

I Root For: GCU
(02-25-2018 01:42 PM)NMSUPistolPete Wrote:  I thought Jarkel Joiner would win WAC Freshman of the Year honors. But now I think Alessandro Lever is the shoe in for the honor. He has been a beast since pretty much since mid January.

At last check, Lever was the 3rd leading scorer in the conference during league play, with no other freshman in the Top 10. He's also been a fringe Top 10 rebounder. I'm just a little biased, but I'm going to have to agree with you on this one, Pistol.
02-25-2018 04:42 PM
ProfScott Offline
Special Teams

(02-25-2018 04:42 PM)gleadley Wrote:  
(02-25-2018 01:42 PM)NMSUPistolPete Wrote:  I thought Jarkel Joiner would win WAC Freshman of the Year honors. But now I think Alessandro Lever is the shoe in for the honor. He has been a beast since pretty much since mid January.

At last check, Lever was the 3rd leading scorer in the conference during league play, with no other freshman in the Top 10. He's also been a fringe Top 10 rebounder. I'm just a little biased, but I'm going to have to agree with you on this one, Pistol.
Another biased Lopes fan who also agrees with this assessment.
02-25-2018 04:58 PM
NMSUPistolPete Offline
All American

In all probability, GCU will be the media's pre-season favorite next season; with Lever blossoming and Frayer broadening his game. It will be interesting to see if Blumberg (in the offseason) can close the confidence gap between him and the way Lever is playing now? If he can Majerle will probably have his best team to date.

Hopefully, NMSU will not see any major upheaval in the offseason. With Jans at the helm, I feel confident, NMSU will once again be a major player for the WAC Championship next season; regardless of losing Lofton and Jones.
02-25-2018 05:37 PM
Raider_Lope Offline
2nd String

I Root For: GCU, MTSU
It’s amazing that even with the relatively disappointing season for GCU, they’re still looking at a 2 or 3 seed and can make a run in the conference tournament. Just... please put UMKC in the other bracket!

I say that in the context of Lever changing the game. Without him, the year would’ve revolved around a struggling Braun and underwhelming Benson. Aly has been the difference maker. He draws defenders to open up Frayer. He scores and rebounds. He makes those he plays around better. Braun has just kept Demari on the bench more than he should’ve been.

I’m also really glad Dan has rediscovered the value of Martin and Jackson. Just saying.
02-25-2018 06:29 PM
Advertisement

FINALFOUR1970SWEETSIXTEEN1992 Offline
1st String

I Root For: NMSU Aggies
Lever is a NBA draft pick next season. GCU better enjoy him while he is there.
02-25-2018 06:30 PM
Vaqueronation Offline
2nd String

I Root For: utrgv
(02-25-2018 06:29 PM)Raider_Lope Wrote:  It’s amazing that even with the relatively disappointing season for GCU, they’re still looking at a 2 or 3 seed and can make a run in the conference tournament. Just... please put UMKC in the other bracket!

I say that in the context of Lever changing the game. Without him, the year would’ve revolved around a struggling Braun and underwhelming Benson. Aly has been the difference maker. He draws defenders to open up Frayer. He scores and rebounds. He makes those he plays around better. Braun has just kept Demari on the bench more than he should’ve been.

I’m also really glad Dan has rediscovered the value of Martin and Jackson. Just saying.

You'll probably play them in the first round.
If Seattle wins next week there could be a 3 way tie for second. With UVU and GCU having the same conference and overall records. What's the third tie breaker?
02-25-2018 07:20 PM
MCanaday9 Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: UVU, UMKC
Where have you seen overall record as a tiebreaker? I thought it was whomever had the best record for the #1 seed and then #2 seed and so on. That is pretty traditional for other conferences but I haven't been able to find anything online for WAC.
02-25-2018 07:46 PM
NMSUPistolPete Offline
All American

Again, if there are not major setbacks in the off season, GCU, Seattle, and UM Kansas City are improving considerably; CSU Bakersfield and UT Rio Grande Valley improving slightly; UVU dropping in strength; and Chicago State trailing the field. The addition of Cal Baptist will put a new wrinkle on things. I don't see them as bottom dwellers right off the bat; even as a transitioning D2-to-D1 school.

As I said before, I think NMSU will still be at or near the top next season. NMSU loses Lofton, Jones, and Wilkins but the already have replacements waiting in the wings; that's my homer perspective. I think WAC fans have already been burned too many times to count NMSU out as a contender next season. We loose Sim Bhullar... so what. We lose Mullings and Nephawe...old news. We lose Siakam and Menzies...doesn't matter. Baker, Huggins and Weir are gone... no problem. Lofton and Jones are adios... well what do you think?
(This post was last modified: 02-25-2018 08:00 PM by NMSUPistolPete.)
02-25-2018 07:59 PM
Vaqueronation Offline
2nd String

(02-25-2018 07:46 PM)MCanaday9 Wrote:  Where have you seen overall record as a tiebreaker? I thought it was whomever had the best record for the #1 seed and then #2 seed and so on. That is pretty traditional for other conferences but I haven't been able to find anything online for WAC.

Nevermind I looked it up. It's head to head record first then in this case record against nmsu. After that its rpi.
02-25-2018 08:37 PM
Advertisement

NMSUPistolPete Offline
All American

(02-25-2018 08:37 PM)Vaqueronation Wrote:  
(02-25-2018 07:46 PM)MCanaday9 Wrote:  Where have you seen overall record as a tiebreaker? I thought it was whomever had the best record for the #1 seed and then #2 seed and so on. That is pretty traditional for other conferences but I haven't been able to find anything online for WAC.

Nevermind I looked it up. It's head to head record first then in this case record against nmsu. After that its rpi.

This was from 2015 LCSN Article but it should still hold true...

Basketball Specific Tie-Breaking Procedures

[1] Two-Way Tie:

[i] The winner of the head-to-head competition is the higher seed.

[ii] If the tie is for first place, compare the tied teams’ records against the next highest finishing team and continue through the standings. The team with the best record/winning percentage against the next highest finishing team(s) or group of tied teams that the tied teams have played the same amount of times shall receive the higher seed.  If the tie is for any position other than first place, the comparison shall begin at the top of the standings.

[iii] If a tie still remains, the institution with the highest RPI at the conclusion of the WAC’s regular season shall receive the higher seed.

[2] Three or More-Way Tie. Once a tie has been reduced to two teams, the two-team tie-breaker is implemented.

[i] Compare the records of the tied teams against each other. The team(s) with the best record(s) versus the other tied teams receives the higher seed or advances to the next tie-breaker; the team with the next best record versus the other tied teams receives the next highest seed or advances to the next tie breaker, etc.

[ii] If the tie is for first place, compare the tied teams’ records against the next highest finishing team and continue through the standings. The team with the best record against the next highest finishing team(s) or group of tied teams that all the tied teams have played the same amount of times shall receive the higher seed  or advance to the next level of tie-breaker. If the tie is for any position other than first place the comparison shall begin at the top of the standings.

[iii] If a tie still remains, the institution with the highest RPI at the conclusion of the WAC’s regular season shall receive the higher seed.
02-25-2018 08:49 PM
Vaqueronation Offline
2nd String

(02-25-2018 08:49 PM)NMSUPistolPete Wrote:  
(02-25-2018 08:37 PM)Vaqueronation Wrote:  

This was from 2015 LCSN Article but it should still hold true...

Basketball Specific Tie-Breaking Procedures

[1] Two-Way Tie:

[i] The winner of the head-to-head competition is the higher seed.

[ii] If the tie is for first place, compare the tied teams’ records against the next highest finishing team and continue through the standings. The team with the best record/winning percentage against the next highest finishing team(s) or group of tied teams that the tied teams have played the same amount of times shall receive the higher seed.  If the tie is for any position other than first place, the comparison shall begin at the top of the standings.

[2] Three or More-Way Tie. Once a tie has been reduced to two teams, the two-team tie-breaker is implemented.

[i] Compare the records of the tied teams against each other. The team(s) with the best record(s) versus the other tied teams receives the higher seed or advances to the next tie-breaker; the team with the next best record versus the other tied teams receives the next highest seed or advances to the next tie breaker, etc.

[ii] If the tie is for first place, compare the tied teams’ records against the next highest finishing team and continue through the standings. The team with the best record against the next highest finishing team(s) or group of tied teams that all the tied teams have played the same amount of times shall receive the higher seed  or advance to the next level of tie-breaker. If the tie is for any position other than first place the comparison shall begin at the top of the standings.

Soooooo if Seattle wins I think that puts GCU in 2nd, Seattle in 3rd and UVU in 4th.
02-25-2018 09:18 PM
ProfScott Offline
Special Teams

Soooooo if Seattle wins I think that puts GCU in 2nd, Seattle in 3rd and UVU in 4th.
[/quote]
yes, that sounds right based on the rules mentioned. GCU is 3-1 against UVU/SU and SU would be 2-2 against UVU/GCU with UVU being 1-3.
I doubt Seattle will win at UVU but I will certainly be cheering them on. Of course, this all assumes that GCU beats Bakersfield which is no sure thing since they seem to have our number.
Other Scenarios:
If SU beats UVU and GCU losses to CSUB then SU would be 2nd, UVU 3rd and GCU 4th.
If SU loses to UVU then UVU is 2nd and GCU is 3rd no matter how they do against CSUB.
Sound right?
(This post was last modified: 02-25-2018 10:29 PM by ProfScott.)
02-25-2018 10:26 PM
gleadley Offline
1st String

I heard the same (3-way tie breaker goes to best record against the other 2 teams) while chatting up some UVU athletics & media guys last night. They said record against #1 seed is a secondary tie-breaker, if needed.
02-25-2018 10:33 PM
gleadley Offline
1st String

(02-25-2018 05:37 PM)NMSUPistolPete Wrote:  In all probability, GCU will be the media's pre-season favorite next season; with Lever blossoming and Frayer broadening his game. It will be interesting to see if Blumberg (in the offseason) can close the confidence gap between him and the way Lever is playing now? If he can Majerle will probably have his best team to date.

Hopefully, NMSU will not see any major upheaval in the offseason. With Jans at the helm, I feel confident, NMSU will once again be a major player for the WAC Championship next season; regardless of losing Lofton and Jones.

For the love of all that is holy, PLEASE not another pre-season favorite pick!
02-25-2018 10:35 PM
Advertisement

ProfScott Offline
Special Teams

(02-25-2018 06:29 PM)Raider_Lope Wrote:  It’s amazing that even with the relatively disappointing season for GCU, they’re still looking at a 2 or 3 seed and can make a run in the conference tournament. Just... please put UMKC in the other bracket!

Agree with everything you say here except for the UMKC comment. Personally, I'd much rather see UMKC or UTRGV then CSUB in the opening round. CSUB's style of defense seems to frustrate GCU and causes them to start complaining rather than just play the game.
02-25-2018 10:38 PM
ProfScott Offline
Special Teams

(02-25-2018 07:59 PM)NMSUPistolPete Wrote:  Again, if there are not major setbacks in the off season, GCU, Seattle, and UM Kansas City are improving considerably; CSU Bakersfield and UT Rio Grande Valley improving slightly; UVU dropping in strength; and Chicago State trailing the field. The addition of Cal Baptist will put a new wrinkle on things. I don't see them as bottom dwellers right off the bat; even as a transitioning D2-to-D1 school.

As I said before, I think NMSU will still be at or near the top next season. NMSU loses Lofton, Jones, and Wilkins but the already have replacements waiting in the wings; that's my homer perspective. I think WAC fans have already been burned too many times to count NMSU out as a contender next season. We loose Sim Bhullar... so what. We lose Mullings and Nephawe...old news. We lose Siakam and Menzies...doesn't matter. Baker, Huggins and Weir are gone... no problem. Lofton and Jones are adios... well what do you think?
The WAC will always go through NMSU until there are a couple of years where the Aggies are not on top. I say let NMSU be the pre-season favorite each and every year. So far they deserve it.
02-25-2018 10:41 PM
Trod0 Offline
2nd String

(02-25-2018 06:30 PM)FINALFOUR1970SWEETSIXTEEN1992 Wrote:  Lever is a NBA draft pick next season. GCU better enjoy him while he is there.

I agree, Lever is playing like he is NBA material. He probably has the best shot at making the NBA than any other player in the WAC right now.
02-26-2018 08:04 AM
gleadley Offline
1st String

(02-25-2018 06:30 PM)FINALFOUR1970SWEETSIXTEEN1992 Wrote:  Lever is a NBA draft pick next season. GCU better enjoy him while he is there.

That's a great compliment. Who are you, and what have you done with Frank? :)
02-26-2018 09:45 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.