Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Big Ten Backing Down
esayem Offline
Hark The Sound!

I Root For: Olde Ironclad
Big Ten Backing Down
http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketb...ek-earlier

Jim, it was dumb. The Big East proved that they still own the Gahhden. Looks as if the Big Ten won't be playing in NYC metro area unless it gets into Brooklyn or Jersey (actually wouldn't be a bad idea if Rutgers had basketball fans). Let us all rejoice in the moment when the Big Ten hit their east coast ceiling.
02-23-2018 08:48 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

IWokeUpLikeThis Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: NIU, Chicago St
RE: Big Ten Backing Down
Karma bites those who ditch their roots
02-23-2018 08:59 PM
mikeinsec127 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Rutgers
Yeah he should have learned from the ACC's failure to knock the BE out of MSG for tournament week. I can't see the BIG being content with holding its tournament in Brooklyn or Newark. If/when the BIG tournament comes East again I gotta think it will be in D.C. or Philly.
02-23-2018 09:12 PM
cuseroc Offline
Super Moderator

I Root For: Syracuse

Donators
(02-23-2018 09:12 PM)mikeinsec127 Wrote:  Yeah he should have learned from the ACC's failure to knock the BE out of MSG for tournament week. I can't see the BIG being content with holding its tournament in Brooklyn or Newark. If/when the BIG tournament comes East again I gotta think it will be in D.C. or Philly.

I wouldnt say that. The ACC was not willing to abandon its roots in the south to play all of their tournaments at MSG. MSG would not do a deal with the ACC unless it was long term on an annual basis. MSG is not being run by idiots. Why would they do a deal with the ACC for 2 years out of a 8 or 10 year period when they have the BE for all ten? Now, it is the BIG who truly failed.
(This post was last modified: 02-23-2018 09:34 PM by cuseroc.)
02-23-2018 09:33 PM
bluesox Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
Big 10 hoops tourney should be in Chicago every year, football in Indy since they have a dome. Now if the big 10 wants to start fixing past mistakes they could

1) copy the sec hoop schedule format so rival games are always played twice
2) keep the western football rival end of year game as is
3) move Michigan state to the west and Purdue to the east for football
02-23-2018 09:39 PM
GoldenWarrior11 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Marquette, BE
Good. Madison Square Garden is ours.
02-23-2018 10:07 PM
Advertisement

hoops22 Offline
Banned

I Root For: big east
(02-23-2018 09:33 PM)cuseroc Wrote:  
(02-23-2018 09:12 PM)mikeinsec127 Wrote:  Yeah he should have learned from the ACC's failure to knock the BE out of MSG for tournament week. I can't see the BIG being content with holding its tournament in Brooklyn or Newark. If/when the BIG tournament comes East again I gotta think it will be in D.C. or Philly.

I wouldnt say that. The ACC was not willing to abandon its roots in the south to play all of their tournaments at MSG. MSG would not do a deal with the ACC unless it was long term on an annual basis. MSG is not being run by idiots. Why would they do a deal with the ACC for 2 years out of a 8 or 10 year period when they have the BE for all ten? Now, it is the BIG who truly failed.

You're acting like there was a standing offer to the ACC, where they could have had MSG had they been willing to commit long term. There was never any such offer as I'm sure you're aware. March basketball at MSG is synonymous with the Big East Tournament. It continues to sell out today, just as it did when Syracuse was there. The vast majority of ACC schools have their roots in the south, and honor that tradition by playing the majority of their tournaments in those friendly confines. While the ACC and others may occasionally come to NYC in March, The City remains Big East Territory.
02-23-2018 10:39 PM
esayem Offline
Hark The Sound!

(02-23-2018 10:39 PM)hoops22 Wrote:  

You're acting like there was a standing offer to the ACC, where they could have had MSG had they been willing to commit long term. There was never any such offer as I'm sure you're aware. March basketball at MSG is synonymous with the Big East Tournament. It continues to sell out today, just as it did when Syracuse was there. The vast majority of ACC schools have their roots in the south, and honor that tradition by playing the majority of their tournaments in those friendly confines. While the ACC and others may occasionally come to NYC in March, The City remains Big East Territory.

Right, and as it should be. The Big East survived by returning to their roots and shedding football. I'm happy for the conference and its fans. Hopefully the Johnnies and the Hoyas return to form.
02-23-2018 10:59 PM
Frank the Tank Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Illinois/DePaul
I’m someone that has long supported the Big Ten expanding its presence in the East. The problem has never been that the Big Ten wanted to play its tournament in NYC. Instead, the problem was having this condensed schedule and moving the tournament date by a week in order to play at Madison Square Garden specifically. That was just never worth it. Barclays Center would be fine in the event that the Big Ten wants to go to the NYC area again.
02-23-2018 11:41 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
goofus Offline
All American

I Root For: Iowa
(02-23-2018 09:39 PM)bluesox Wrote:  Big 10 hoops tourney should be in Chicago every year, football in Indy since they have a dome. Now if the big 10 wants to start fixing past mistakes they could

Although switching MSU and Purdue makes a lot of sense, it does lead to a tricky question of who should play each other the last week of the season. MSU-Mich would be locked in to play each other every season but Mich has to play OSU in its last game. That probably means MSU would have to rotate its end of year cross-division game between Rutgers, MD and PSU.
02-23-2018 11:43 PM
mikeinsec127 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Rutgers

MSG was NEVER going to do a deal with the ACC for that week even if it would have been a multi year deal. It is both the permanent home of the BE tournament and the conference home of St Johns. THAT is the point. When the ACC - with SEVEN former BE members - couldn't get that deal done, the BIG - with one former BE member - shouldn't have bothered to try.
02-23-2018 11:43 PM
Advertisement

esayem Offline
Hark The Sound!

(02-23-2018 11:41 PM)Frank the Tank Wrote:  I’m someone that has long supported the Big Ten expanding its presence in the East. The problem has never been that the Big Ten wanted to play its tournament in NYC. Instead, the problem was having this condensed schedule and moving the tournament date by a week in order to play at Madison Square Garden specifically. That was just never worth it. Barclays Center would be fine in the event that the Big Ten wants to go to the NYC area again.

Once the Big Ten reeled in Penn State it was manifest destiny to expand eastward, especially in terms of presence. The problem, and you are correct, was the power move to overtake MSG. I'm sure there will be some great basketball played a week early, but the weird early conference schedule and that lapse before the NCAA's isn't worth it.
(This post was last modified: 02-23-2018 11:49 PM by esayem.)
02-23-2018 11:48 PM
Frank the Tank Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Illinois/DePaul
(02-23-2018 09:39 PM)bluesox Wrote:  Big 10 hoops tourney should be in Chicago every year, football in Indy since they have a dome. Now if the big 10 wants to start fixing past mistakes they could

The Big Ten is partially addressing #1 when it moves to a 20-game schedule by guaranteeing that all of the in-state rivalries (IU-PU, Michigan-MSU and Illinois-Northwestern) are played twice per year and schools will play others closer to them in proximity more frequently.

Proposal #3 won’t ever happen. If MSU moves to the West, then MSU-Michigan has to become a protected annual cross-division rivalry game. That would mean that the West schools would play Michigan even less than they currently do... and that’s going to be a non-starter. It’s no big deal for the West schools to play Indiana less frequently in the current setup, but no one is going to willingly give up more Michigan games.
02-23-2018 11:49 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
quo vadis Offline
Legend

I Root For: USF/Georgetown
Can't blame Delany for pushing the envelope by putting it in New York, but moving the tourney up a week should have been recognized as a bad idea from the start. It was bad for their regular season and tournament.
02-24-2018 12:17 AM
Wedge Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: California
(02-24-2018 12:17 AM)quo vadis Wrote:  Can't blame Delany for pushing the envelope by putting it in New York, but moving the tourney up a week should have been recognized as a bad idea from the start. It was bad for their regular season and tournament.

It was pure hubris. Delany wanted to be in MSG because he thought the Big Ten would overshadow the Big East in "its" building.
02-24-2018 12:42 AM
Captain Bearcat Offline
All-American in Everything

I Root For: UC

Why would you even want to move MSU to the West? MSU's only rivalries are all in the East (Penn State and Michigan). Purdue is the only school with split rivalries in both divisions (Illinois and Indiana).

The "competitive balance" argument is very short-sighted. Long-term, MSU is roughly equal to Purdue.
02-24-2018 01:05 AM
Advertisement

Hokie Mark Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: VT, ACC teams
There is a fundamental difference between the Big Ten and the ACC when it comes to NYC:
- NYC is further east than every B1G team (and FAR from the basketball power teams)
- There is one ACC team further east than NYC, and one of the best hoops teams in in-state.

If Rutgers were great at basketball it might be a different story.
02-24-2018 02:57 AM
ohio1317 Offline

I Root For: Ohio State
This wasn't Big Ten vs. Big East. The goal wasn't to replace the Big East (not when it would only be in New York once or twice a decade). It was about an east coast presence which they have not given up on. What they admit was a mistake (much to my surprise) was the willingness to hold the Big Ten Tournament so early.

That said, I personally would prefer the tournament to stay in Indianapolis and Chicago. At least it sounds like it will 8 or so years out of 10.

Edit: Count me out as a far as divisions or basically divisions for basketball. I care as much about playing most teams in the west as the east and would rather as close to a pure rotation as possible. Would love to lock Michigan in for twice, but aside from that, best just to keep as we are switching to next year.
(This post was last modified: 02-24-2018 08:23 AM by ohio1317.)
02-24-2018 08:18 AM
BadgerMJ Offline
All American

I Root For: Wisconsin / ND
"Sometimes by losing a battle you find a new way to win the war."

The lesson learned was NOT that having the tournament at the "Gahden" is a bad idea, it was that condensing the schedule to do so was.

The B1G will be back to the east coast, they'll just coordinate it better next time.
02-24-2018 08:48 AM
XLance Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Carolina
(02-23-2018 10:07 PM)GoldenWarrior11 Wrote:  Good. Madison Square Garden is ours.

Good!
Our tournament belongs in Greensboro.
02-24-2018 09:08 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.