Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

What Stances of your own have changed?
NCeagle Offline
NOT BANNED

I Root For: Ga Southern
What Stances of your own have changed?
It seems like there is always a ton of back and forth on this forum, but you never see anybody admitting to be wrong, or changing their mind.

So I ask all of you on here, what political stances are you know for or against, that you used to hold the opposite belief, and what changed your mind?
02-19-2018 11:13 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Kaplony Offline
Palmetto State Deplorable

I Root For: Newberry
RE: What Stances of your own have changed?
I'm starting to believe in decriminalization of weed.
02-19-2018 11:19 AM
tanqtonic Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: rice
Death penalty -- used to be for, now against.

Only penalty that cannot have amends made for it. And I cannot believe that no innocent people in the last 50 years havent been executed.

Further, the cost of death row and the process is far more expensive than just putting a bad guy in a deep dark hole for the rest of their lives.

Further, having lived in California, the death penalty emphasizes the perpetrator as opposed to the victims. Last execution was a shitshow which glamorized a complete thug with no focus at all on the people he murdered. Think of the difference between the one small byline that Charlie Manson died a broken down old creep versus the headlines if he actually had been executed.

Finally, for those people that are actual rotten apples (think Dahmer, etc.), a life behind bars in a deep hole of a prison may actually be a worse punishment than execution.
02-19-2018 11:21 AM
UofMTigerTim Offline
1st String

I Root For:
I think we should end the drug war.

Let it all be legal and tax the crap out of it. Not only would we rake in the money the heavy drug users will dispose of themselves in due time.

It would be a hard transition.
02-19-2018 11:22 AM
Bull_Is_Back Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Buffalo
I used to be pro death penalty, now I am again' it

Even though I don't think it's a moral evil I have come to believe that a society with the resources to incarcerate for life should accept that they could be wrong every now and again.
(This post was last modified: 02-19-2018 11:27 AM by Bull_Is_Back.)
02-19-2018 11:25 AM
solohawks Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UNCW
(02-19-2018 11:21 AM)tanqtonic Wrote:  Death penalty -- used to be for, now against.

Only penalty that cannot have amends made for it. And I cannot believe that no innocent people in the last 50 years havent been executed.

Further, the cost of death row and the process is far more expensive than just putting a bad guy in a deep dark hole for the rest of their lives.

Further, having lived in California, the death penalty emphasizes the perpetrator as opposed to the victims. Last execution was a shitshow which glamorized a complete thug with no focus at all on the people he murdered. Think of the difference between the one small byline that Charlie Manson died a broken down old creep versus the headlines if he actually had been executed.

Finally, for those people that are actual rotten apples (think Dahmer, etc.), a life behind bars in a deep hole of a prison may actually be a worse punishment than execution.

Great post with excellent points. To a megalomaniac living and dying old, alone, and ignored would be punishment
02-19-2018 11:27 AM
Advertisement

Lord Stanley Offline
L'Étoile du Nord

I Root For: NIU
I support gay marriage.
If you legalized pot tomorrow you'd find no argument from me.
I begrudgingly support abortion rights.

My support for the above is grounded in my strong belief in states rights, a small unobtrusive federal government, and the Constitution.
02-19-2018 11:29 AM
200yrs2late Offline
Resident Parrothead

I Root For: East Carolina
The only stance of mine that has changed is with regard to gay marriage. I'm still 100% against it, but I support legal unions that would allow partners legal rights with regards to medical, inheritance, and other issues. Most every other political, ethical, or moral stance of mine has strengthened.
02-19-2018 11:31 AM
Crebman Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
(02-19-2018 11:13 AM)NCeagle Wrote:  It seems like there is always a ton of back and forth on this forum, but you never see anybody admitting to be wrong, or changing their mind.

So I ask all of you on here, what political stances are you know for or against, that you used to hold the opposite belief, and what changed your mind?

Okay.

Gay Marriage.

I originally believed that marriage was a religious institution and that no religion should be forced to recognize a union of same sex individuals and I still largely believe this.

However, if the state wants to recognize it - I guess I'm okay with that, particularly for property rights, hospital visitation, etc. types of reasons.

Initially, I wasn't for gay marriage at all - now I really don't care.
02-19-2018 11:34 AM
Kaplony Offline
Palmetto State Deplorable

I Root For: Newberry
(02-19-2018 11:31 AM)200yrs2late Wrote:  The only stance of mine that has changed is with regard to gay marriage. I'm still 100% against it, but I support legal unions that would allow partners legal rights with regards to medical, inheritance, and other issues. Most every other political, ethical, or moral stance of mine has strengthened.

I agree.
02-19-2018 11:37 AM
BadgerMJ Offline
All American

I Root For: Wisconsin / ND
(02-19-2018 11:13 AM)NCeagle Wrote:  It seems like there is always a ton of back and forth on this forum, but you never see anybody admitting to be wrong, or changing their mind.

I don't know if I'd go as far as to say changed, but probably softened.

Gay Marriage - Used to be against, now I don't care either way. If two people wish to get married, that's their business.

Abortion - Used to be for, now I think setting limits and having restrictions is acceptable. Abortion early term is one thing, late term is quite another. Aborting a fetus that's severely deformed is one thing, using it as another form of birth control is another.

Marijuana - Used to be against legalizing it, now I say do it, tax the hell out of it, and use that revenue as a way to relieve the tax burden on everyday people.
02-19-2018 11:41 AM
Advertisement

SuperFlyBCat Offline
Banned

I Root For: America and UC
Guys there is no gay marriage, there is same sex marriage.
02-19-2018 11:47 AM
EigenEagle Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Ga Southern
Pot legalization (now for it) and gay marriage (don't really care anymore).
I'm not nearly as concerned about welfare and food stamps as I used to be as that's not what busts the budget.
I'm not a big eco-freak but I do think we need to change our energy portfolio and CO2 emissions are not the only good reason to do so.
02-19-2018 11:56 AM
NIU007 Offline
Legend

I Root For: NIU, MAC
I used to be against legalization of any of the currently illegal drugs. Now, I think marijuana should be legalized, and maybe even the harder drugs - though I have not thought about that too much.
02-19-2018 12:02 PM
Lush Offline
go to hell and get a job

I Root For: the user
i'm just about seasick from all the rocking i've been doing. conservative, democrat, libertarian. now it's just whatever. through all of that, i've never wavered in my compassion for those who go about bothering society. we make it perfect
02-19-2018 12:08 PM
CrimsonPhantom Offline
CUSA Curator

I Root For: NM State
Legalization of Marijuana, tax the **** out of it.

Having clinics for people with drug addictions, so they can safely administer their addiction. Less dirty needles for them to use and less dirty needles to be left lying around in parks and places.

Lets utilize all energy resources. Trying to with one only is just ignorant IMO.

I believe in the right to have choices. So I guess that makes me for abortion. I used to believe if you got pregnant, than you needed to take responsibility and have the baby. But this has left us with unfit parents and kids not being raised properly. Many ending up in foster care. I believe in late term abortion should only be used to save the mothers life or if the baby destined for a life of pain and suffering.
02-19-2018 12:25 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Lush Offline
go to hell and get a job

I Root For: the user
man, i heard grass in colorado was cheap as sh!t because of all the competition. you could probably tax it quite a bit and it'd be still affordable. i haven't run the numbers
02-19-2018 12:27 PM
bullet Offline
Legend

I Root For: Texas, UK, UGA
I used to be in favor of citizenship for the illegals who had been in the country for a long time. But the Reagan "fix" which offered citizenship to deal with the massive 3 million illegal alien problem quickly turned into a 12 million illegal alien problem. It simply caused more of the same problem instead of fixing it. These people are not stupid. They look at what we do. It was like Obama and DACA. Thousands of children were sent across the border after he did that.

We simply cannot give citizenship to illegals on a preferential basis to those who follow the rules. Legalization, ok, we can't kick 12 million people out of the country without crashing the economy. But citizenship just brings in more illegals.
(This post was last modified: 02-19-2018 12:33 PM by bullet.)
02-19-2018 12:32 PM
200yrs2late Offline
Resident Parrothead

I Root For: East Carolina
(02-19-2018 11:47 AM)SuperFlyBCat Wrote:  Guys there is no gay marriage, there is same sex marriage.

same thing.
02-19-2018 12:49 PM
TechRocks Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Tech
Globalism.

Used to be in a huge fan of free trade even though it never was. Once it destroyed much of our manufacturing base, I had to reconsider. If we ever get cross-ways with another country, like China, we'd better damned-well have our manufacturing capabilities back up to snuff. From that perspective, Trump looks like divine intervention at work, because if anyone will make the effort reinvigorate our manufacturing sector, it's His Orangeness.
02-19-2018 01:14 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.