Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Rock the arena 3 at savage arena
Bookmark and Share
crusher38 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: USC and Toledo
Rock the arena 3 at savage arena
is it a dead concept now? i haven't heard a peep either way about the show returning this year or moved further down the calendar
02-19-2018 10:39 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

falconplucker Offline
1st String

I Root For: Toledo
RE: Rock the arena 3 at savage arena
Yeah, I think it's pretty dead. I believe they lost a decent amount of money last year. The first year it was novel. The second year, 4 of the bands were the same and they tried to pair Cheap Trick with the hair band genre. I can't imagine too many bands are left, that they could afford. I haven't seen them plan a concert period. When they started, it seemed pretty ambitious. They were planning on scheduling concerts on a regular basis.
02-19-2018 05:32 PM
crusher38 Offline
Special Teams

(02-19-2018 05:32 PM)falconplucker Wrote:  Yeah, I think it's pretty dead. I believe they lost a decent amount of money last year. The first year it was novel. The second year, 4 of the bands were the same and they tried to pair Cheap Trick with the hair band genre. I can't imagine too many bands are left, that they could afford. I haven't seen them plan a concert period. When they started, it seemed pretty ambitious. They were planning on scheduling concerts on a regular basis.

ok thanks. i wasnt sure because of the amount of seats that were sold last year before lou gramm cancelled. must have been alot of refunds. i guess they wanted a smaller named lineup because the original concert didnt compare to last year
02-19-2018 07:29 PM
inductchuck16 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Toledo Rockets
(02-19-2018 05:32 PM)falconplucker Wrote:  Yeah, I think it's pretty dead. I believe they lost a decent amount of money last year. The first year it was novel. The second year, 4 of the bands were the same and they tried to pair Cheap Trick with the hair band genre. I can't imagine too many bands are left, that they could afford. I haven't seen them plan a concert period. When they started, it seemed pretty ambitious. They were planning on scheduling concerts on a regular basis.

Pretty sure the guy who was in charge of all that isn't at the University anymore. It's too bad no one else stepped up. Savage Arena definitely has potential to be an awesome money-making concert venue. They need to bring in a big name.
02-19-2018 11:39 PM
crusher38 Offline
Special Teams

(02-19-2018 11:39 PM)inductchuck16 Wrote:  

Pretty sure the guy who was in charge of all that isn't at the University anymore. It's too bad no one else stepped up. Savage Arena definitely has potential to be an awesome money-making concert venue. They need to bring in a big name.

wow! was that by chance the guy who was in charge in the 80s? apparently savage hall had alot of huge names roll through at that time.

if so, and even if not.... its a huge loss to not book that brand new venue for as many concerts as they can get.

i still say they're screwing the pooch by not using the glass bowl for something along the lines of rock on the range.

ut could be a serious threat to the huntington center if they tried again. its a nice setup in the arena, the parking is all on site and not 8 blocks away like huntington.

thank you so much for the answers, inductchuck
02-20-2018 01:10 AM
Advertisement

indianasniff Offline
All American

Savage had concerts back in the day because the sports arena was a toilet and Huntington Center did not exist

Promoters would rather be downtown and not deal with the campus traffic
02-20-2018 08:46 AM
crusher38 Offline
Special Teams

(02-20-2018 08:46 AM)indianasniff Wrote:  Savage had concerts back in the day because the sports arena was a toilet and Huntington Center did not exist

Promoters would rather be downtown and not deal with the campus traffic

traffic? there was nearly zero traffic last year for rock the arena. traffic cops at UT got it right. i was very surprised at that because there were a ton of people inside.

it can still be very viable if you see that the stranahan and the zoo keeps booking shows they have no business booking
02-21-2018 05:28 AM
bcunn3128 Away
Heisman

I Root For: U of Toledo
(02-20-2018 01:10 AM)crusher38 Wrote:  

wow! was that by chance the guy who was in charge in the 80s? apparently savage hall had alot of huge names roll through at that time.

if so, and even if not.... its a huge loss to not book that brand new venue for as many concerts as they can get.

i still say they're screwing the pooch by not using the glass bowl for something along the lines of rock on the range.

ut could be a serious threat to the huntington center if they tried again. its a nice setup in the arena, the parking is all on site and not 8 blocks away like huntington.

Not sure why you said parking is 8 blocks away at the Huntington? I’ve been to 3 concerts there now, and get to at least 4 Walleye games each season—each time, I’ve parked in the Port Lawrence garage which is right next door to the arena. With the covered walkway, I don’t even step out in the elements between my car and my seat. I walk further when I go to a Rockets game at Savage.
02-21-2018 06:09 AM
crusher38 Offline
Special Teams

(02-21-2018 06:09 AM)bcunn3128 Wrote:  
(02-20-2018 01:10 AM)crusher38 Wrote:  

Not sure why you said parking is 8 blocks away at the Huntington? I’ve been to 3 concerts there now, and get to at least 4 Walleye games each season—each time, I’ve parked in the Port Lawrence garage which is right next door to the arena. With the covered walkway, I don’t even step out in the elements between my car and my seat. I walk further when I go to a Rockets game at Savage.

8,000 people cant park within 2-3 blocks downtown. i've seen people walking from further than the valentine. they really didnt think that through before building right there. they'd rather have a tight parking garage to park in versus building a larger one where promedica sprung up. that garage is a death trap, when theres snow...people lose all sense of driving ability.
02-24-2018 03:14 AM
Advertisement

DetroitRocket Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
It seems like 90% of the acts at Huntington are country. They used to get some classic rock like the Eagles, but lots of them aren't touring anymore or are dying off. Rock is kinda' dead now. Not sure if they re trying to appeal to students or older people.
02-24-2018 04:03 AM
Springboromark Offline
All American

(02-24-2018 04:03 AM)DetroitRocket Wrote:  It seems like 90% of the acts at Huntington are country. They used to get some classic rock like the Eagles, but lots of them aren't touring anymore or are dying off. Rock is kinda' dead now. Not sure if they re trying to appeal to students or older people.

Nothing wrong with the Huntington for venues.
02-24-2018 05:51 AM
RocketOne Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: TOLEDO
I was really looking forward to a RTA 3. I remember way back when I saw Robert Plant at Savage... He says "I wrote this song in the dressing room the last time I was here." That was pretty cool.
02-24-2018 06:24 PM
H2Oville Rocket Offline
Legend

I Root For: Toledo R0ckets
(02-24-2018 06:24 PM)RocketOne Wrote:  I was really looking forward to a RTA 3. I remember way back when I saw Robert Plant at Savage... He says "I wrote this song in the dressing room the last time I was here." That was pretty cool.

Plant said “I ripped that song off from (insert: Robert Johnson, Spirit, etc. here) in the dressing room last time I was here”. BTW, love your avatar.
(This post was last modified: 02-24-2018 09:16 PM by H2Oville Rocket.)
02-24-2018 09:13 PM
Advertisement

Boca Rocket Offline
Legend

I Root For:
(02-24-2018 04:03 AM)DetroitRocket Wrote:  It seems like 90% of the acts at Huntington are country. They used to get some classic rock like the Eagles, but lots of them aren't touring anymore or are dying off. Rock is kinda' dead now. Not sure if they re trying to appeal to students or older people.

Lots of good rock and indie bands around now.
02-25-2018 08:02 AM
H2Oville Rocket Offline
Legend

(02-25-2018 08:02 AM)Boca Rocket Wrote:  

Lots of good rock and indie bands around now.

I get caught up in finding new (to me) acts on YouTube. Tons of great music out there, it just doesn’t make corporate radio. Unfortunately, North Mississippi All-Stars or Trixie Whitley or Power Trip aren’t going to fill Savage.
02-25-2018 08:44 AM
UofToledoFans Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Toledo and G5
OT:
Toledo just opened a venue on Byrne... Formarly zodiac, bijou, rocket bar, realm...now called Toledo Civic music Center/Hall. Lots of cover bands are scheduled for this spring. I am going to the re modled venue on Thursday for my favorite "rock" band We Came as Romans. Findlay born, Toledo acclaimed "The Plot in You" is on the tour and is who brought the tour to Toledo.

For the type of music I have interest in, this is a big step in getting rock/metal back to Toledo. Headliners was a good venue for some years (Jed's on N. detroit) but hasn't seen bands in a few years. The Omni has been gone since 2010 or 2011. Frankie's is basically the only place left for Rock in Toledo other than smaller locales like the OT or **** N Bull on a Wednesday night.
02-25-2018 12:49 PM
UofToledoFans Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Toledo and G5

There are some shots of Downtown Toledo in this music video. They have changed their sound a lot... From scary heavy metalcore to a melodic rock. IMO they deserve a shot at the radio for tunes like this. But like some have said... There are a lot of bands out there that deserve a shot.
02-25-2018 12:53 PM
Advertisement

H2Oville Rocket Offline
Legend

A bunch of guys rented the house catty-corner to mine a couple years ago. Turns out they have a band, Oliver Hazard, and got selected to play the new artist stage at Bonaroo. So, like UTFans points out, there’s a pretty good local scene (Maple and Main Art Festival always showcases some great local talent). It would be nice to see a name act with da local opener at Savage.
02-25-2018 01:07 PM
crusher38 Offline
Special Teams

and they're cutting their own throat, you can't book "country" 24/7. if you do, tickets are low prices and theres at least 2 headliners so they can break even.

they are virtually scared to book anything else because of the threat of "rioting" 01-wingedeagle

theres so many other big acts to book which is why we need UT to step up again and book acts the huntington thinks theyre too good for.
02-25-2018 07:37 PM
Boca Rocket Offline
Legend

I Root For:
Had Riptide Fest in December on the Beach in Ft Liquordale.
Day 1 acts included:
Weezer
Cage the Elephant
Andrew McMahon in the Wilderness
Portugal.The Man
Joyware
Iration
Saint Motel
New Politics
Pvris
Mondo Cozmo
Barns Courtney
The Academic
Alex Dileo
Brother Sundance
The Heirs
Mike Mineo
MiQ
Bonn.E.Maiy

Day 2 were classic acts:
Boyz II Men
KC and the Sunshine Band
Lou Gramm
Salt N Peppa
Morris Day and the Time
Loverboy
Tito Puente Jr
Lime
Shannon
Mr Nice Guy

May 12 at Mizner Park in Boca:
Eddie Money
Blue Oyster Cult(I need more cowbell.)
Foghat

Sunfest May 3rd-6 West Palm
Acts included:
Pitbull
Zedd
Logic
Sublime
3rd Eye Blind
Incubus
Billy Idol
Living Colour
Cake
Toots and the Maytals
Sleepwalker
Dreamers
Nick Jonas
Samantha Harvey
The Nightsweats
Soja

Rock the Oceans-Tortuga Music Fest April 6-8 Ft Liquordale Beach
Keith Urban
Florida Georgia Line
Eric Church
Snoop Dogg
Shaggy
Cadillac Three
Cheap Trick
Dwight Yoakum
Sister Hazel

Hardrock-Hollywood Fl
Huey Lewis and the News 4/20
Kenny Loggins 5/15
Steve Miller Band and Peter Framton 7/21
Rod Stewart and Cyndi Lauper 7/24
Britney Spears 7/27/28/29

Lots of music to choose from.
(This post was last modified: 02-26-2018 09:32 AM by Boca Rocket.)
02-26-2018 07:30 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.