Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)
Open TigerLinks

If Penny were the route..
Bookmark and Share
Tigergary Offline
All American

I Root For: Tigers
If Penny were the route..
What kind of contract do you think he'd demand? Would he require a large buyout?
Maybe a stupid question but anyone know much about his agent?
(This post was last modified: 02-18-2018 04:02 PM by Tigergary.)
02-18-2018 04:01 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

thagr82008 Offline
Banned

I Root For: MEMPHOBABEE
RE: If Penny were the route..
(02-18-2018 04:01 PM)Tigergary Wrote:  What kind of contract do you think he'd demand? Would he require a large buyout?

excellent questions....The bast way to go with him and his experience, or lack thereof @ this level....Penny would get a base that's commensurate with entry level coaches. Laden with incentives and performance bonuses. Which is what it should just about always be. Unless PROVEN otherwise....

We need this to overcome BAD guaranteed deals, and Penny needs an opportunity to prove himself, Memphis needs a spark unlike any other top tier program right now....Just give him the dayum keys...We can't do ANY worse than this sideshow
(This post was last modified: 02-18-2018 05:47 PM by thagr82008.)
02-18-2018 04:38 PM
hsvtiger Offline
All American

I Root For: Tina
(02-18-2018 04:38 PM)thagr82008 Wrote:  
(02-18-2018 04:01 PM)Tigergary Wrote:  What kind of contract do you think he'd demand? Would he require a large buyout?

excellent questions....The bast way to go with him and experience, or lack thereof @ this level....Penny would get a base that's commensurate with entry level coaches. Laden with incentives and performance bonuses. Which is what it should just about always be. Unless PROVEN otherwise....

We need this to overcome BAD guaranteed deals, and Penny needs an opportunity to prove himself, Memphis needs a spark unlike any other top tier program right now....Just give him the dayum keys...We can't do ANY worse than this sideshow

I think we should be able to avoid a large guarantee due to his lack of college coaching experience. To me, one of the biggest advantages he offers is the potential for having a lower contract which we need due to money owed Tubby.

I'd shoot for $500K/year base with incentives tied to performance (team rating, conf finish, post-season, attendance) that could take it to $2M if he does really well. Cuz, if he does well, he is worth every "PENNY" and, if not, we don't greatly harm our financial situation. With any "proven" coach, we likely have to offer $2M guaranteed and if they are successful or are slow to draw fans back, we will worsen our financial struggles.

Penny doesn't really need the money, but he should be paid commensurate to his performance. I think he really wants the opportunity and would go for it.
02-18-2018 05:46 PM
macgar32 Offline
Legend

I Root For: Memphis
If we are going to pay him based on qualifications 500k would be high.
02-18-2018 06:15 PM
Tigergary Offline
All American

(02-18-2018 06:15 PM)macgar32 Wrote:  If we are going to pay him based on qualifications 500k would be high.

Anything less than 500k would be a insult and show no confidence from the admin. He would have his work cut out for him to get this program climbing. A couple of his recruits alone is worth 500k. Just ask a shoe company if they are. Lol
02-18-2018 06:49 PM
jamammy Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Memphis Tigers
(02-18-2018 05:46 PM)hsvtiger Wrote:  

excellent questions....The bast way to go with him and experience, or lack thereof @ this level....Penny would get a base that's commensurate with entry level coaches. Laden with incentives and performance bonuses. Which is what it should just about always be. Unless PROVEN otherwise....

I think we should be able to avoid a large guarantee due to his lack of college coaching experience. To me, one of the biggest advantages he offers is the potential for having a lower contract which we need due to money owed Tubby.

I'd shoot for $500K/year base with incentives tied to performance (team rating, conf finish, post-season, attendance) that could take it to $2M if he does really well. Cuz, if he does well, he is worth every "PENNY" and, if not, we don't greatly harm our financial situation. With any "proven" coach, we likely have to offer $2M guaranteed and if they are successful or are slow to draw fans back, we will worsen our financial struggles.

Penny doesn't really need the money, but he should be paid commensurate to his performance. I think he really wants the opportunity and would go for it.

The key is getting Tubby out and Penny in.

By the time Tubby's contract would have ran out, you will know what you have with Penny.

I have said it before, but if we are damned to lose for the next three years, I would rather lose with Penny.

Hell, I'd rather lose with Penny than win with Tubby.

Can't stand Tubby.

Love Penny,
02-18-2018 06:55 PM
Advertisement

macgar32 Offline
Legend

(02-18-2018 06:55 PM)jamammy Wrote:  

By the time Tubby's contract would have ran out, you will know what you have with Penny.

I have said it before, but if we are damned to lose for the next three years, I would rather lose with Penny.

Can't stand Tubby.

Love Penny,
Good to know where your loyalties lie...Penny above the school
02-18-2018 07:25 PM
Tigergary Offline
All American

(02-18-2018 07:25 PM)macgar32 Wrote:  

Can't stand Tubby.

Love Penny,
I don't agree with his last statement either, but what would be your grand plan for the program?
02-18-2018 07:36 PM
macgar32 Offline
Legend

(02-18-2018 07:36 PM)Tigergary Wrote:  
(02-18-2018 04:38 PM)thagr82008 Wrote:  excellent questions....The bast way to go with him and experience, or lack thereof @ this level....Penny would get a base that's commensurate with entry level coaches. Laden with incentives and performance bonuses. Which is what it should just about always be. Unless PROVEN otherwise....

Can't stand Tubby.

Love Penny,
I don't agree with his last statement either, but what would be your grand plan for the program?

Win...I Don't care who is at the helm...
02-18-2018 07:39 PM
Tigergary Offline
All American

(02-18-2018 07:39 PM)macgar32 Wrote:  
(02-18-2018 05:46 PM)hsvtiger Wrote:  I think we should be able to avoid a large guarantee due to his lack of college coaching experience. To me, one of the biggest advantages he offers is the potential for having a lower contract which we need due to money owed Tubby.

Can't stand Tubby.

Love Penny,

Well duh...
That isn't happening at the moment. Which is why people on a discussion board are discussing what alternatives would be.
Do you care to offer a intellectual opinion or just blast others?
02-18-2018 07:45 PM
macgar32 Offline
Legend

(02-18-2018 07:45 PM)Tigergary Wrote:  
(02-18-2018 06:55 PM)jamammy Wrote:  The key is getting Tubby out and Penny in.

Can't stand Tubby.

Love Penny,

Well duh...
That isn't happening at the moment. Which is why people on a discussion board are discussing what alternatives would be.

What is intellectual about touting Penny...

If Penny didn't go to Memphis would he be considered a candidate. He may be the second coming as a coach but he isn't qualified

And I don't recall blasting anyone
(This post was last modified: 02-18-2018 08:07 PM by macgar32.)
02-18-2018 08:05 PM
Advertisement

tigerderek Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Sunshinepumpers

Can't stand Tubby.

Love Penny,

When's the wedding?
02-18-2018 08:18 PM
Tigergary Offline
All American

(02-18-2018 08:05 PM)macgar32 Wrote:  
(02-18-2018 07:25 PM)macgar32 Wrote:  Good to know where your loyalties lie...Penny above the school

Well duh...

If Penny didn't go to Memphis would he be considered a candidate. He may be the second coming as a coach but he isn't qualified

Good question but he is a former NBA star with ties to getting top talent. Mark my word other programs are interested in his services. Maybe just for his recruiting. But if he gets a few 4 and 5 stars, well in the aac that's almost guaranteed to get us a bid on talent alone.
But I respect your opinion you don't like the idea so again I'll ask what scenario if a change is made would you like to see? Don't just say you don't like penny or whoever wins.
02-18-2018 08:26 PM
jamammy Offline
Heisman

Can't stand Tubby.

Love Penny,

Not really.

First of all we are talking the next three years as the time frame

My guestimation of winning with Tubby is like 23-12 or something like that.

Tops.

Make conference tournament semi-finals.

Bubble team.

Lose 1st in NCAA tourney.

That's Tubby's ceiling.

My questimation of losing with Penny is like 20-15.

Floor.

Make conference tourney semi finals.

Or whatever, but my point is winning for Tubby looks a lot like losing would for Penny.

Consider is the theory of Tubby relativity.

Lower your expectations.

Trust the process.

This takes time.
02-18-2018 09:09 PM
jamammy Offline
Heisman

(02-18-2018 04:38 PM)thagr82008 Wrote:  excellent questions....The bast way to go with him and experience, or lack thereof @ this level....Penny would get a base that's commensurate with entry level coaches. Laden with incentives and performance bonuses. Which is what it should just about always be. Unless PROVEN otherwise....

Can't stand Tubby.

Love Penny,

For Tubby, it's his "grand" exit.

For Penny, his evaluation period.

You learn something by having Penny in here.

With Tubby, you learn nothing about whether or not Penny can do the job and by now, one should know exactly what you have and will have in Tubby.

The next three years are a wash with Tubby even if he "wins".

The next three years are worthwhile with Penny even if he "loses".
02-18-2018 09:13 PM
Stammers Offline
Legend

Can't stand Tubby.

Love Penny,

He likes the school just fine. What he doesn't like (I think) is bending over.
02-18-2018 09:24 PM
Advertisement

macgar32 Offline
Legend

(02-18-2018 08:26 PM)Tigergary Wrote:  
(02-18-2018 07:36 PM)Tigergary Wrote:  I don't agree with his last statement either, but what would be your grand plan for the program?

Well duh...

Good question but he is a former NBA star with ties to getting top talent. Mark my word other programs are interested in his services. Maybe just for his recruiting. But if he gets a few 4 and 5 stars, well in the aac that's almost guaranteed to get us a bid on talent alone.
But I respect your opinion you don't like the idea so again I'll ask what scenario if a change is made would you like to see? Don't just say you don't like penny or whoever wins.

There are a ton of coaches I would like to see come here but the question lies can we afford them and are they willing to come here.

Right now we are limited in what we can pay...Look at Georgia Tech they are paying over 5Million this year for coaches and they have Pastner walking the sidelines.

If we had unlimited resources I say fire Tubby yesterday, but if firing Tubby forces us into a budget hire I saw ride it out a little longer.
(This post was last modified: 02-18-2018 10:20 PM by macgar32.)
02-18-2018 10:18 PM
Tigergary Offline
All American

(02-18-2018 10:18 PM)macgar32 Wrote:  
(02-18-2018 07:39 PM)macgar32 Wrote:  Win...I Don't care who is at the helm...

Well duh...

There are a ton of coaches I would like to see come here but the question lies can we afford them and are they willing to come here.

Right now we are limited in what we can pay...Look at Georgia Tech they are paying over 5Million this year for coaches and they have Pastner walking the sidelines.

If we had unlimited resources I say fire Tubby yesterday, but if firing Tubby forces us into a budget hire I saw ride it out a little longer.

Nah....I say offer penny 1.2 million with incentives while tubby is paid over the 6 yrs. Ticket revenue increases instantly. The option is there. The balls? I'm not so sure. A failed penny is no worse than where we are now. At the end of penny's contract tubby is all but paid and so is penny. If we keep tubby at the same projection of current success, it will cost the same if we go with penny. Worst case scenario penny is deservedly owed a contract extension after year 2.
02-18-2018 11:11 PM
macgar32 Offline
Legend

(02-18-2018 11:11 PM)Tigergary Wrote:  
(02-18-2018 10:18 PM)macgar32 Wrote:  
(02-18-2018 07:45 PM)Tigergary Wrote:  Well duh...

Nah....I say offer penny 1.2 million with incentives while tubby is paid over the 6 yrs. Ticket revenue increases instantly. The option is there. The balls? I'm not so sure. A failed penny is no worse than where we are now. At the end of penny's contract tubby is all but paid and so is penny. If we keep tubby at the same projection of current success, it will cost the same if we go with penny. Worst case scenario penny is deservedly owed a contract extension after year 2.

Worst Case is Penny flames out early and we need to fire him in year two and we are on the hook for 2.5 Million per year for 2 other coaches for another 3 years.
(This post was last modified: 02-18-2018 11:20 PM by macgar32.)
02-18-2018 11:20 PM
memtiger1987 Offline
All American

Penny would be a lousy hire. Is Wiseman going to play here if he’s the coach? He’ll no. Lomax has signed. Are you people serious?

Look, I loved the guy as a player, but who had he sent our way? His appeal is bringing the East guys and I doubt he brings anyone we need. So why bother?
02-18-2018 11:26 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.