Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

OT - Baby Back Ribs on Weber Kettle (22.5" dia)
miko33 Offline
Defender of Honesty and Integrity

I Root For: Alma Mater
I'm grilling baby back ribs tomorrow, and I plan on doing all of the cooking on the bbq. Here is my plan for making the ribs:
  • Prep ribs and put a rub on them to allow about 6 - 8 hrs of marinating. Ribs will be divided into half racks.
  • Prep grill for indirect cooking - not sure if I'll put all coals to one side or split to 2 sides
  • Cook time expected to be about 1.5 - 2 hrs between 300 - 320 deg (by lid thermometer)
  • Drip pan will be used on the indirect cooking side with about 1/4th to 1/3rd full of water for moisture
  • Add bbq sauce to last 20 minutes of the cooking time. May do a quick sear over direct heat - not sure

I'm going to make the rub on the fly - no formal recipe - and will likely use:

3 T Spanish Paprika (all I have on hand),
1 T brown sugar,
2 t salt,
1.5 t black pepper,
1 t ground mustard

BBQ sauce will be as follows:

3 tablespoons onions, chopped.
2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons margarine.
2 tablespoons granulated sugar.
2 tablespoons vinegar.
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce.
1⁄4 cup lemon juice.
1 cup catsup.
1⁄2 cup celery, chopped.

For my current baby back rib recipe I would wrap the ribs in foil and bake on low in oven for about 1.5 to 2 hrs and then finish on medium direct heat on grill with coating of sauce for about 10 min turning frequently. This method is fall off the bone tender. With the above method, I want to see if I can get something moist - maybe not to the level of fall off the bone - but something that would have a little bit more natural bbq flavor.

Anyone have suggestions or modifications that you recommend? I don't have a smoker and I don't have the high accuracy temperature gauge/thermocouple set up.
(This post was last modified: 02-17-2018 02:35 PM by miko33.)
02-17-2018 02:34 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Machiavelli Offline
Back to Reality. Oh there goes Gravity

I Root For: BGSU
RE: OT - Baby Back Ribs on Weber Kettle (22.5" dia)
Someone told me one time to remove the back membrane off ribs. It’s not the meaty part. I think removing it does make a difference
02-17-2018 02:52 PM
Kaplony Offline
Palmetto State Deplorable

I Root For: Newberry
(02-17-2018 02:52 PM)Machiavelli Wrote:  Someone told me one time to remove the back membrane off ribs. It’s not the meaty part. I think removing it does make a difference

Yes. When it cooks it gets tough and stringy.
02-17-2018 02:56 PM
miko33 Offline

(02-17-2018 02:52 PM)Machiavelli Wrote:  Someone told me one time to remove the back membrane off ribs. It’s not the meaty part. I think removing it does make a difference

Correct. As kaplony stated it makes the ribs tough. I'll normally take a clean flat head screw driver and lift the membrane off the bones and then pull the membrane off (holding it with a paper towel).
02-17-2018 03:13 PM
Paul M Offline
American-American

I Root For: OU
Don't see anything about boiling them. Good man.
02-17-2018 03:45 PM
Kaplony Offline

(02-17-2018 03:13 PM)miko33 Wrote:  

Correct. As kaplony stated it makes the ribs tough. I'll normally take a clean flat head screw driver and lift the membrane off the bones and then pull the membrane off (holding it with a paper towel).

Best thing I've found to remove the membrane is an oyster knife
02-17-2018 03:52 PM
Advertisement

Redbanksdog Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Memphis
(02-17-2018 03:52 PM)Kaplony Wrote:  
(02-17-2018 03:13 PM)miko33 Wrote:  

Best thing I've found to remove the membrane is an oyster knife

A spoon also works pretty good.
02-17-2018 05:05 PM
gdunn Offline
Repping E-Gang Colors

I Root For: Southern Miss

Survivor Champion
Haven't gotten brave enough to do ribs yet. Plus I'd be the only one eating them. May do some next weekend since I'm Baching it.
02-17-2018 05:07 PM
VA49er Offline
Legend

I Root For: Charlotte
Yep, now I'm hungry.
02-17-2018 05:20 PM
Brookes Owl Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Rice Owls
The Parliament AwardsCrappiesDonators
First things first: I know sauces are regional, and I do not want to start an incident, but WTF is up with the celery?!

Otherwise, pretty good looking approach. I used to have a 22.5 kettle and it worked great (now using a 22.5 Smokey Mountain). Maybe too late now but they make these great charcoal baskets that connect to the sides of the kettle to make indirect heating easier. Are you going to put some wood chips on the coals? I highly recommend a handful or two of fruit wood chips.

The beauty of baby backs is they afford a pretty large window for time and temp. I typically cook them a little lower (250-275) and slower (3-4 hrs) on the bbq but have an oven recipe similar to yours that works great. Don’t worry about meat temp. They’re done when the meat is pulling back from the bones and you can easily pull the bones apart.
02-17-2018 06:43 PM
THE NC Herd Fan Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Marshall
(02-17-2018 02:34 PM)miko33 Wrote:  I'm grilling baby back ribs tomorrow, and I plan on doing all of the cooking on the bbq. Here is my plan for making the ribs:
  • Prep ribs and put a rub on them to allow about 6 - 8 hrs of marinating. Ribs will be divided into half racks.
  • Prep grill for indirect cooking - not sure if I'll put all coals to one side or split to 2 sides
  • Cook time expected to be about 1.5 - 2 hrs between 300 - 320 deg (by lid thermometer)
  • Drip pan will be used on the indirect cooking side with about 1/4th to 1/3rd full of water for moisture
  • Add bbq sauce to last 20 minutes of the cooking time. May do a quick sear over direct heat - not sure

1 T brown sugar,
2 t salt,
1.5 t black pepper,
1 t ground mustard

2 tablespoons vinegar.
1⁄4 cup lemon juice.
1 cup catsup.
1⁄2 cup celery, chopped.

For my current baby back rib recipe I would wrap the ribs in foil and bake on low in oven for about 1.5 to 2 hrs and then finish on medium direct heat on grill with coating of sauce for about 10 min turning frequently. This method is fall off the bone tender. With the above method, I want to see if I can get something moist - maybe not to the level of fall off the bone - but something that would have a little bit more natural bbq flavor.

Anyone have suggestions or modifications that you recommend? I don't have a smoker and I don't have the high accuracy temperature gauge/thermocouple set up.

I would recommend adding 1/2 teaspoon chili powder to your BBQ Sauce, it gives it just a hint of spicy.
02-17-2018 06:57 PM
Advertisement

Kaplony Offline

(02-17-2018 06:57 PM)THE NC Herd Fan Wrote:  
(02-17-2018 02:34 PM)miko33 Wrote:  I'm grilling baby back ribs tomorrow, and I plan on doing all of the cooking on the bbq. Here is my plan for making the ribs:

1 T brown sugar,
2 t salt,
1.5 t black pepper,
1 t ground mustard

2 tablespoons vinegar.
1⁄4 cup lemon juice.
1 cup catsup.
1⁄2 cup celery, chopped.

I would recommend adding 1/2 teaspoon chili powder to your BBQ Sauce, it gives it just a hint of spicy.

I'd say put it in the rub for the best effect. Cumin on pork is very underrated.
02-17-2018 07:34 PM
Brookes Owl Offline
Heisman

Yeah, I tend to put something spicy in my sauce: Tabasco/sriracha/red rooster.
02-17-2018 08:08 PM
miko33 Offline

(02-17-2018 06:43 PM)Brookes Owl Wrote:  First things first: I know sauces are regional, and I do not want to start an incident, but WTF is up with the celery?!

Otherwise, pretty good looking approach. I used to have a 22.5 kettle and it worked great (now using a 22.5 Smokey Mountain). Maybe too late now but they make these great charcoal baskets that connect to the sides of the kettle to make indirect heating easier. Are you going to put some wood chips on the coals? I highly recommend a handful or two of fruit wood chips.

The beauty of baby backs is they afford a pretty large window for time and temp. I typically cook them a little lower (250-275) and slower (3-4 hrs) on the bbq but have an oven recipe similar to yours that works great. Don’t worry about meat temp. They’re done when the meat is pulling back from the bones and you can easily pull the bones apart.

I would like to get a 22.5" smokey mountain smoker - hopefully in a couple of years. Alternatively, I was looking at the kamado style grills made by Primo - which I think can double as a grill and smoker. The Weber smoker would be a good bit cheaper though and complement the kettle!

The sauce recipe is actually the original Weber Tangy BBQ Sauce. I think the celery is inspired by Kansas City Style bbq - not sure TBH.
02-17-2018 09:58 PM
miko33 Offline

(02-17-2018 07:34 PM)Kaplony Wrote:  
(02-17-2018 06:57 PM)THE NC Herd Fan Wrote:  

1 T brown sugar,
2 t salt,
1.5 t black pepper,
1 t ground mustard

2 tablespoons vinegar.
1⁄4 cup lemon juice.
1 cup catsup.
1⁄2 cup celery, chopped.

I'd say put it in the rub for the best effect. Cumin on pork is very underrated.

I've used both chili powder and cumin on pork with great results. I was thinking about putting a little cumin into the spice rub. The chili powder I think would be fairly similar to the paprika and am going to try it without the chili powder.

brookes, to answer your question on wood chips - I planned on going with hickory soaked for 30 min to an hr. Probably no more than one large handful.
02-17-2018 10:04 PM
gdunn Offline
Repping E-Gang Colors

I Root For: Southern Miss

Survivor Champion
Those komodos are nice. Buddy just got a primos and is extremely satisfied. He did a brisket for Super Bowl Sunday and said it was the best he ever did. Second time firing it up .
02-17-2018 10:12 PM
Advertisement

hoopfan Offline
1st String

I Root For: hoops
I have always had a tendency to burn ribs to ash.
02-17-2018 10:18 PM
Brookes Owl Offline
Heisman

(02-17-2018 09:58 PM)miko33 Wrote:  The sauce recipe is actually the original Weber Tangy BBQ Sauce. I think the celery is inspired by Kansas City Style bbq - not sure TBH.

Huh. Powdered celery seed is a common ingredient in rubs, so I guess it makes sense to flavor sauce with it - I’ve just never had a “chunky” bbq sauce. Now matter - lots of ways to make tasty pork. Good luck - share some pics!
02-17-2018 11:29 PM
pkptigers07 Offline
All American

I Root For: Memphis
Try adding some spicy brown mustard on one rack when you apply the rib and see what you think.

Turn the heat down to 200-225 and cook a couple more hours.

Fill a spray bottle with apple juice and spritz the ribs every 45-60 min to help keep them from drying out.

Apply apply butter in the last hour and let it cook in for 30ish minutes before you add sauce.

Consider adding some hickory/maple wood chips for the first hour.
02-18-2018 01:11 AM
JMUDunk Offline
Rootin' fer Dukes, bud

I Root For: Freedom

The silver skin.

Yes.

A pair of latex gloves, sterilized pliers and strong grip, rip that membrane offa there.

I’ve even started cleaving the ribs in to twos or fours, and giving them all a four square rub, smoke and cook.

Try this place for a great poke rub with stuff you probably already have. http://www.smoking-meat.com

15 bucks, for his recipes (rubs and bbq sauce) I think, and “lifetime membership” whatever that is.

I get a new recipe once, twice a month. Have used a many, especially when neighbors bring us venison.

Nothing better.
02-18-2018 04:59 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.