Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

NCAA Basketball Scandal - unintended consequences
Eldonabe Online
No More Wire Hangars!

I Root For: All but Uconn
NCAA Basketball Scandal - unintended consequences
IMO this will decimate the NCAA as the governing body of College Sports and the fall out will be hitting everything.

- Coaches: In reading between the lines there are HOF coaches that will be exposed. How does that play out? Do they get booted from the Hall? Their records wiped out like they never existed? The upside is they will not be paying back the Millions they made so at least they have a nest egg to scrape by on the rest of their tainted lives

- Assistant Coaches: They probably have the most to lose. They get paid scraps, they will lose their jobs, they will not be hireable in the game, or overly attractive in a "regular job" since they will have a cheater label attached to them. They are *$%#@!

- Players: The players probably have the least to lose in this whole thing. Maybe a little bit of embarrassment - but they are still going to get paid in the Association and have a full career. Egg-on-face, but keep cashin' those paychecks....

- Schools: These schools will have many decisions to make - mostly, leaving the NCAA governance model. Who is going to organize that and how will something which generates that much money be run cleanly - clearly it could not be run correctly the old way as Money/Greed killed that. Any new model will have to include paying these kids and there is no way anyone will be able to regulate it.

There is no honesty among thieves....
(This post was last modified: 02-16-2018 03:48 PM by JRsec.)
02-16-2018 09:03 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

BadgerMJ Offline
All American

I Root For: Wisconsin / ND
RE: NCAA Basketball Scandal - unintended consequences
(02-16-2018 09:03 AM)Eldonabe Wrote:  IMO this will decimate the NCAA as the governing body of College Sports and the fall out will be hitting everything.

- Coaches: In reading between the lines there are HOF coaches that will be exposed. How does that play out? Do they get booted from the Hall? Their records wiped out like they never existed? The upside is they will not be paying back the Millions they made so at least they have a nest egg to scrape by on the rest of their tainted lives

- Assistant Coaches: They probably have the most to lose. They get paid scraps, they will lose their jobs, they will not be hireable in the game, or overly attractive in a "regular job" since they will have a cheater label attached to them. They are *$&#@!

- Players: The players probably have the least to lose in this whole thing. Maybe a little bit of embarrassment - but they are still going to get paid in the Association and have a full career. Egg-on-face, but keep cashin' those paychecks....

- Schools: These schools will have many decisions to make - mostly, leaving the NCAA governance model. Who is going to organize that and how will something which generates that much money be run cleanly - clearly it could not be run correctly the old way as Money/Greed killed that. Any new model will have to include paying these kids and there is no way anyone will be able to regulate it.

There is no honesty among thieves....

There's probably more that just what you stated.

One. The FBI wouldn't be this involved unless there are/were criminal activities taking place. How will this affect the athletic departments and the school administrations? Would they be liable and criminally charged if they were aware of what was going on?

Two. Will this laser like focus on basketball lead to people asking questions and eventually have that same laser focused on football? There might be a few schools, coaches, and "friends of the program" starting to sweat a bit.

Three. How would charges against a program or numerous programs in a conference affect their network TV deals? There's millions of dollars at stake and I can imagine that the networks would ask for a refund if certain "blue blood" programs are implicated and perhaps punished.

I think we've gone WAY past a governing body being able to control the situation. There's hundreds of millions of dollars at stake in college sports in general. Anytime there's THAT much $$ involved people WILL cheat. There's only a few ways to deal with it. They could cut out the money and go back to "pure" competition (LOL, yeah right) or they could just drop the pretense and become a semi-pro "feeder" league for pro sports. Turn the "governing" over to the pro leagues and let them work hand in hand with the colleges to determine their own rules.
(This post was last modified: 02-16-2018 03:49 PM by JRsec.)
02-16-2018 09:54 AM
GoldenWarrior11 Online
Heisman

I Root For: Marquette, BE
I keep waiting for the latest scandal that rocks collegiate athletics to the core to finally overhaul the system, and re-examine the need and necessity of the NCAA. It wasn't Penn State. It wasn't Miami. It wasn't Baylor. It wasn't Louisville. It isn't Michigan State. From the response by Notre Dame, it's possible their punishment may cause the necessary spark (encouraging other schools/programs to follow their lead). Perhaps it is this FBI investigation? Perhaps it a plethora of schools need to be given the severe discipline in order to get the rest to fall in line.

I honestly don't know what will happen next, but change does need to be made. It is getting out of control.
02-16-2018 10:16 AM
Bogg Offline
All American

I Root For: UConn
If anything they'll issue a blanket amnesty/reset and "enforce" rules going forward if this is widespread enough. The system wasn't made to have forty-fifty top programs all hit with significant sanctions all at once, and the NCAA won't go through the embarrassment of taking down 10-15 of the last 20 championship banners. Anyone thinking that Duke and Kentucky are going to be hit with 2-4 year postseason bans once it comes out that they're buying their rosters (and they absolutely are) is gong to be very disappointed.
02-16-2018 10:38 AM
The Cutter of Bish Offline
Heisman

I Root For: the little guy
The NCAA is going to have something put right at their feet.

They will **** it up.

The result will be underwhelming, as usual.
02-16-2018 11:26 AM
Gamecock Offline
All American

I Root For: South Carolina
The NCAA won’t do much. Vacated wins. They want no part of this
02-16-2018 12:22 PM
Advertisement

bullet Offline
Legend

I Root For: Texas, UK, UGA
(02-16-2018 10:16 AM)GoldenWarrior11 Wrote:  I keep waiting for the latest scandal that rocks collegiate athletics to the core to finally overhaul the system, and re-examine the need and necessity of the NCAA. It wasn't Penn State. It wasn't Miami. It wasn't Baylor. It wasn't Louisville. It isn't Michigan State. From the response by Notre Dame, it's possible their punishment may cause the necessary spark (encouraging other schools/programs to follow their lead). Perhaps it is this FBI investigation? Perhaps it a plethora of schools need to be given the severe discipline in order to get the rest to fall in line.

I honestly don't know what will happen next, but change does need to be made. It is getting out of control.

If Penn St., Baylor, Louisville, Michigan St. and North Carolina don't do it, I don't know what would. North Carolina undermined their core mission as educational institutions. In my mind, from an athletic standpoint, North Carolina was the worst. People didn't get physically hurt, but the whole student-athlete model was shown to be a sham and the education of non-student athletes was harmed, along with the value of their degree. Do you think any hiring manage isn't going to snicker if they see an African-American studies degree from UNC?

What may happen is a rape scandal at one of the wealthy private schools. They don't need conference money, and combined with the CTE issues, they may just drop football. Schools like Duke, Wake Forest, Boston College, Syracuse and Northwestern really don't need P5 membership. Duke and Northwestern are Ivy League level and the other 3 are very strong academic institutions.

Maybe you have a conference composed of those 5, Vanderbilt, Rice, Tulane and possibly even Miami.
02-16-2018 12:36 PM
OdinFrigg Offline
Gone Fishing

I Root For: Canine & Avian
When the oversight system is weak and inconsistent, it will get exploited, even criminally, due to human greed and
the willingness to take risks to take advantage of those more willing to comply with the rules and laws.
02-16-2018 12:54 PM
quo vadis Offline
Legend

I Root For: USF/Georgetown
(02-16-2018 10:16 AM)GoldenWarrior11 Wrote:  I keep waiting for the latest scandal that rocks collegiate athletics to the core to finally overhaul the system, and re-examine the need and necessity of the NCAA. It wasn't Penn State. It wasn't Miami. It wasn't Baylor. It wasn't Louisville. It isn't Michigan State. From the response by Notre Dame, it's possible their punishment may cause the necessary spark (encouraging other schools/programs to follow their lead). Perhaps it is this FBI investigation? Perhaps it a plethora of schools need to be given the severe discipline in order to get the rest to fall in line.

Problem is, what do we replace the NCAA with? There needs to be an umbrella, governing organization for intercollegiate athletics, and i think if we tore the NCAA down and rebuilt a new organization from scratch, it would ... end up looking a lot like the NCAA. 07-coffee3
02-16-2018 01:13 PM
chess Offline
Heisman

I Root For: ECU & Nebraska
(02-16-2018 01:13 PM)quo vadis Wrote:  

Problem is, what do we replace the NCAA with? There needs to be an umbrella, governing organization for intercollegiate athletics, and i think if we tore the NCAA down and rebuilt a new organization from scratch, it would ... end up looking a lot like the NCAA. 07-coffee3

No, there doesn't need to be a replacement. The Big Ten can determine what is best for their members. The SEC and Big Ten could make an agreement to have their members play each other. The ACC and Pac 12 could choose a different criteria for their members.
02-16-2018 01:38 PM
JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

I Root For: SEC
(02-16-2018 11:26 AM)The Cutter of Bish Wrote:  The NCAA is going to have something put right at their feet.

They will **** it up.

The result will be underwhelming, as usual.

You are missing the big picture here. The NCAA is complicitous in this scandal! They bankroll 70 million a year into an endowment which has reached about 1 Billion dollars off of the nothing but the Basketball Tournament. Do you believe for a minute that a bureaucracy as large as the NCAA that employs as many people as they do with relatively cushy jobs is going to police the top 36 brands that bring in the fans, viewers and bucks that flush out their paychecks? No!

This is the very reason the FBI is getting involved. College Basketball is so very corrupt that it taints everyone associated with it, players, coaches, A.D.'s, and yes the NCAA. And if millions of dollars are changing hands and not being taxed it is a Federal issue.

It's going to be heinously ugly, and staggering in scope. The only question in my mind is do they do the totally dishonest thing and excoriate a few as examples and protect the largest and guiltiest brands, or do they nail them all.

If they nail them all then I'm all for it. If they pick a few fringe programs to make an example of while they protect the earning potential of the top programs then the corruption goes all the way up past the NCAA and into the FBI. I think this is going to be one of those telling moments in life. I'm hoping the FBI stays the course and bags them all for their sake and ours. We ultimately need to feel that somethings are still conducted fairly and that begins with law enforcement.
(This post was last modified: 02-16-2018 04:00 PM by JRsec.)
02-16-2018 03:59 PM
Advertisement

Wedge Offline

I Root For: California
(02-16-2018 03:59 PM)JRsec Wrote:  You are missing the big picture here. The NCAA is complicitous in this scandal! They bankroll 70 million a year into an endowment which has reached about 1 Billion dollars off of the nothing but the Basketball Tournament.

Right, there is no way that the NCAA will go hard after the geese who lay the NCAA's golden eggs.

CBS and Turner are not going to pay the NCAA $800 million/year to televise a tournament composed exclusively of teams whose players have no pro potential and thus are sure to not attract under-the-table cash.
02-16-2018 04:27 PM
Heisman

(02-16-2018 03:59 PM)JRsec Wrote:  You are missing the big picture here. The NCAA is complicitous in this scandal!

The bigger picture is our government coming in and breaking up the NCAA. Or, government coming in and gutting college athletics itself for the ****show it is. Maybe telling these schools that boast such significant endowments and media revenues to cough up some tax payments.

Neither side of the aisle have a spine to do that to their alma maters. The states continually fail to. Fed will hide behind that, since they'll say it's either not the place for them, or not the right fight to make in higher ed among many places.

Prepare for disappointment.
(This post was last modified: 02-16-2018 04:39 PM by The Cutter of Bish.)
02-16-2018 04:36 PM
JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

(02-16-2018 04:36 PM)The Cutter of Bish Wrote:  
(02-16-2018 03:59 PM)JRsec Wrote:  You are missing the big picture here. The NCAA is complicitous in this scandal!

The bigger picture is our government coming in and breaking up the NCAA. Or, government coming in and gutting college athletics itself for the ****show it is. Maybe telling these schools that boast such significant endowments and media revenues to cough up some tax payments.

Neither side of the aisle have a spine to do that to their alma maters. The states continually fail to. Fed will hide behind that, since they'll say it's either not the place for them, or not the right fight to make in higher ed among many places.

Prepare for disappointment.

When you start with the assumption that it is corrupt, you are never disappointed. You can only be pleasantly surprised if it turns out not be. But then I have had just a few pleasant surprises. It is the nature of our culture at this time. And that goes for the super wealthy as well. It's just most of them can afford to buy the PR they need for their public image, and buy the kind of privacy they need to keep the public from seeing them as they really are. In matters like these those with political influence will buy protection and those without it will be the scapegoats.
02-16-2018 09:01 PM
Heisman

(02-16-2018 09:01 PM)JRsec Wrote:  When you start with the assumption that it is corrupt, you are never disappointed. You can only be pleasantly surprised if it turns out not be.

Perhaps.

Higher ed's a ticking time bomb for a lot of reasons, though, and not just because of the student debt bubble. Knocking athletic operations down to size is the easiest of the lifts, honestly.
02-17-2018 05:47 AM
gosports1 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: providence
nothing earth shattering will happen. some slapped wrists, maybe some forfeited games. No one with any authority cares. PSU survived after enabling a child rapist. Baylor survived. UNC ,Miami, Louisville etc etc
why would the response to this be anything different?
02-17-2018 12:37 PM
Advertisement

JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

(02-17-2018 12:37 PM)gosports1 Wrote:  nothing earth shattering will happen. some slapped wrists, maybe some forfeited games. No one with any authority cares. PSU survived after enabling a child rapist. Baylor survived. UNC ,Miami, Louisville etc etc

Because of the tax evasion/fraud involved. It would be a federal case instead of an NCAA investigation. Now whether the Feds wuss out because it involves a goodly number of state universities is another matter.
(This post was last modified: 02-17-2018 12:47 PM by JRsec.)
02-17-2018 12:47 PM
TerryD Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Notre Dame
(02-17-2018 12:47 PM)JRsec Wrote:  
(02-17-2018 12:37 PM)gosports1 Wrote:  nothing earth shattering will happen. some slapped wrists, maybe some forfeited games. No one with any authority cares. PSU survived after enabling a child rapist. Baylor survived. UNC ,Miami, Louisville etc etc

Because of the tax evasion/fraud involved. It would be a federal case instead of an NCAA investigation. Now whether the Feds wuss out because it involves a goodly number of state universities is another matter.

I expect many criminal indictments. The schools and the NCAA will not be able to ignore them, no matter how much money is generated for them.
02-17-2018 01:51 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
goodknightfl Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
It was all Russian Trolls..
02-17-2018 01:55 PM
gosports1 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: providence
(02-17-2018 01:51 PM)TerryD Wrote:  
(02-17-2018 12:47 PM)JRsec Wrote:  

I expect many criminal indictments. The schools and the NCAA will not be able to ignore them, no matter how much money is generated for them.

we shall see. however I still don't think much will come of it. Mainly because I don't expect someone to have the guts to clean house
02-17-2018 02:07 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.