Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

A lot of my fellow conservatives will not agree with me on this
oklalittledixie Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Oklahoma
A lot of my fellow conservatives will not agree with me on this
but I'm tired of ignoring the 1000lb elephant in the room.

As liberal idiots once again exploit the latest school shooting to push their gun confiscation agenda, I can't help but be reminded of something I have been thinking for a long time.

Guns are clearly not the problem, but I am starting to see a connection between violence in the media and the gradual uptick in mass shootings across the country. Granted, games like Gears of War won't cause most people to shoot up a school. Most people can separate fantasy from reality. However, games like that are a direct reflection of the sickness permeating our culture. We glorify death an immorality. We advertise it to our children. As adults, we ignore it. On the right individual, that can be a strong catalyst. Couple that with left-wing attacks on morality and societal norms and you have a tinderbox.

There is a reason we didn't have school shootings in the 1950s, and guns were a lot more accessible in that era.
02-15-2018 07:29 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Owl 69/70/75 Offline
Just an old rugby coach

I Root For: RiceBathChelsea

DonatorsNew Orleans Bowl
RE: A lot of my fellow conservatives will not agree with me on this
I think the problems with information sharing created by HIPAA are a huge part of the problem. I'd be interested in the incidence of shootings before and after HIPAA was passed.

2/3 of the shooting deaths in the US are suicides, and I have read that 2/3 of the rest are gang related. It's pretty easy where we need to look, and banning "assault weapons" is not it.

I do agree with one thing. It's time for conservatives to take the ball and run with it on this issue. Do some things that will actually cut down the number of gun deaths. If this keeps going without that, at some point there will be public consensus for some truly draconian measures.
(This post was last modified: 02-15-2018 11:22 PM by Owl 69/70/75.)
02-15-2018 11:19 PM
Kaplony Offline
Palmetto State Deplorable

I Root For: Newberry
(02-15-2018 11:19 PM)Owl 69/70/75 Wrote:  I think the problems with information sharing created by HIPAA are a huge part of the problem. I'd be interested in the incidence of shootings before and after HIPAA was passed.

2/3 of the shooting deaths in the US are suicides, and I have read that 2/3 of the rest are gang related. It's pretty easy where we need to look, and banning "assault weapons" is not it.

I do agree with one thing. It's time for conservatives to take the ball and run with it on this issue. Do some things that will actually cut down the number of gun deaths. If this keeps going without that, at some point there will be public consensus for some truly draconian measures.

Same here.

FWIW going by the 20 deadliest list (22 entries) on Wikipedia 15 of the 22 occurred after the HIPPA Act was signed into law in 1996.

Could be coincidence but like you I'd be interested in seeing the full data.
02-15-2018 11:31 PM
Advertisement

oklalittledixie Offline
Hall of Famer

I just don't see this as a mental health issue. I think HIPPAA doesn't even approach the real cause. This is a direct reflection of our society. We promote violence, we promote division, we promote narcissism, we promote any agenda that is against the family unit. We promote racism and class warfare in our public schools. We ban Christian speakers at public Universities, but approve "Sex Carnivals" at those same Universities. Our society is saturated with immorality and has become desensitized to evil. A part of me thinks this is purposeful. Since Obama took office, there has been a strong anti American force working in the background. I think these shootings are an intended result. One major obstacle for people like George Soros and the globalist movement is the 2nd Amendment. I think it's all a much bigger plot to unravel us at the seams. As conservatives, I think we need to be looking at the bigger picture and become a little less complacent. We are fighting for the very survival of our society.
02-16-2018 11:21 AM
gdunn Offline
Repping E-Gang Colors

I Root For: Southern Miss

Survivor Champion
Dude we're broken in the moral department. There's no doubt. We live in a different world. The new guys we're hiring out of college that are a mere 10 yrs younger than me have a tough time believing the way I was raised. We're not talking from 50-20, we're talking I'm 36 and these guys are 26 and younger.
02-16-2018 11:27 AM
Advertisement

Owl 69/70/75 Offline
Just an old rugby coach

I Root For: RiceBathChelsea

DonatorsNew Orleans Bowl
We passed a ban on “Assault weapons” in the 1990s. It did not cause any significant impact on mass shootings. Columbine happened while it was in effect. It expired in the early 2000s. Since then, mass killings have spiked. What changed? Well, for one, HIPAA. I’m not sure what else happened to cause the difference. Any other ideas?
02-16-2018 03:06 PM
miko33 Offline
Defender of Honesty and Integrity

I Root For: Alma Mater
(02-16-2018 03:06 PM)Owl 69/70/75 Wrote:  We passed a ban on “Assault weapons” in the 1990s. It did not cause any significant impact on mass shootings. Columbine happened while it was in effect. It expired in the early 2000s. Since then, mass killings have spiked. What changed? Well, for one, HIPAA. I’m not sure what else happened to cause the difference. Any other ideas?

Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, etc... SMARTPHONES
(This post was last modified: 02-16-2018 04:59 PM by miko33.)
02-16-2018 04:58 PM
Advertisement

oklalittledixie Offline
Hall of Famer

(02-16-2018 03:06 PM)Owl 69/70/75 Wrote:  We passed a ban on “Assault weapons” in the 1990s. It did not cause any significant impact on mass shootings. Columbine happened while it was in effect. It expired in the early 2000s. Since then, mass killings have spiked. What changed? Well, for one, HIPAA. I’m not sure what else happened to cause the difference. Any other ideas?

Here'w what changed dude.

[Image: Guns.png]

Couple with
[Image: 416x416.jpg?background=000000&cr...ropY2=2501]

Remember this.

The LEFT’S TRUE OBJECTIVE is not “reasonable” gun control or to stop gun violence. It is to disarm the individual so they can then use force & coercion in bending us to the will of the federal government. Founders knew that. People were suspicious of a powerful central government.

and like you rightfully pointed out, they will create an environment that has people begging them to take away their constitutional rights.
(This post was last modified: 02-17-2018 01:00 PM by oklalittledixie.)
02-17-2018 12:58 PM
Redwingtom Offline
Progressive filth

I Root For: B-G-S-U !!!!
If you have this full episode of P&T on demand, I encourage you to watch the whole thing...but here's a snippet.

02-20-2018 09:38 AM
Advertisement

tigergreen Offline

I Root For: MEMPHIS
(02-16-2018 03:06 PM)Owl 69/70/75 Wrote:  We passed a ban on “Assault weapons” in the 1990s. It did not cause any significant impact on mass shootings.

Mass shootings dropped during the assault weapons ban, and went back up as soon as it expired.

[Image: 2016-04-20-1461173795-9577688-MassShooti...-thumb.jpg]

In the 11 years after the assault weapons ban expired, we had 46 mass shootings per year from 2005 to 2015, or 4.18 mass shootings per year. That’s more than 2.61 times as many mass shootings as when we had the assault weapons ban.

https://www.factcheck.org/2013/02/did-th...-ban-work/

The study found “clear indications that the use of assault weapons in crime did decline after the ban went into effect” and that assault weapons were becoming rarer as the years passed (this is the part of the study Feinstein seized on). But, he said, the reduction in the use of assault weapons was “offset through at least the late 1990s by steady or rising use of other semi-automatics equipped with large-capacity magazines.”

So yes, the assault weapons ban worked, but large capacity magazines came into the picture & started eating away at the reduction. The NRA talking point is that gun CRIME didn't change much, which would be accurate, since such a small percentage of crimes are committed with these types of guns.
(This post was last modified: 02-20-2018 04:39 PM by tigergreen.)
02-20-2018 04:37 PM
zyxwvutsru Offline
Cubicle Warrior

I Root For: UTEP

02-21-2018 05:33 PM
geosnooker2000 Offline
I got Cleopatra in the basement

I Root For: Brandon
(02-16-2018 04:58 PM)miko33 Wrote:  

Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, etc... SMARTPHONES

Ding ding ding... we have a winner.
02-23-2018 05:45 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.