Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

2018 SBC Baseball Preview
Bookmark and Share
Eagleditka Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: GS Eagles
2018 SBC Baseball Preview
http://www.forgotten5.com/2018/02/14/sun...l-preview/

I got USA, Louisiana, Coastal as locks. Maybe even UTA.
02-14-2018 09:47 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

chiefsfan Offline
No Seriously, they let me be a mod

I Root For: ASU
RE: 2018 SBC Baseball Preview
App and ULM are "dumpster fires?"

Okay, App sucks, but ULM? Really awful preview. Talked in depth about the top 5 teams and sort of just glossed over everyone else.
(This post was last modified: 02-14-2018 12:47 PM by chiefsfan.)
02-14-2018 12:45 PM
GSUALUM17 Offline
All American

I Root For: GSU
(02-14-2018 12:45 PM)chiefsfan Wrote:  App and ULM are "dumpster fires?"

Okay, App sucks, but ULM? Really awful preview. Talked in depth about the top 5 teams and sort of just glossed over everyone else.

exactly why i don't even bother with bush league websites
02-14-2018 12:50 PM
Advertisement

chiefsfan Offline

(02-14-2018 12:50 PM)GSUALUM17 Wrote:  
(02-14-2018 12:45 PM)chiefsfan Wrote:  App and ULM are "dumpster fires?"

exactly why i don't even bother with bush league websites

I mean, Georgia State is a "tough out" Now they didn't say a single word about you guys (or us for that matter) to explain why you are a tough out, but hey you are a tough out.

App State sucks, but they are not a dumpster fire. I have seen College Baseball dumpster fires. Even some blazing inferno's, but I don't think I would describe a single SBC team in that matter. We have teams with bad years, but inevitably the strength at the top of the league is probably going to keep everyone else doing enough to stay competitive.
(This post was last modified: 02-14-2018 12:56 PM by chiefsfan.)
02-14-2018 12:56 PM
AppManDG Online
Heisman

I Root For: App State
No question Kermit inherited a dumpster fire from Billy Jones, but the fire has been extinguished and things are looking up. He has recruited well the past two years and this year's squad has 20 new faces. He bought in 10 juco players and 10 freshmen and we could see 6-7 new faces take the field. With five of the juco's and a transfer from Clemson added to the pitching staff the rotation will be completely different. Last year's Friday starter is probably the mid week guy now. Kermnit signed an exceptionally good '19 class in December. App has a built in disadvantage in our weather, but Kermit's got the thing headed in the right direction. The next priority is to get Smith Stadium up to Sunbelt standards. The bones are there, just need to take it up a notch or two.
(This post was last modified: 02-14-2018 09:20 PM by AppManDG.)
02-14-2018 02:02 PM
Advertisement

BirdofParadise Offline
1st String

I Root For:
Well, he was right when he said someone has to lose games.

After seeing App early in the season I was really surprised when they didn't make it to Statesboro. I do expect them to be better, but I don't think they'll be challenging or anything like that.

Mike Federico is going to make ULM respectable. But it won't happen this year as they were wayyyyy behind everyone else.

I think the writer is giving Georgia State a little more credit than they deserve.

-------------------------------
But, having said that.....

Why doesn't the Sun Belt get more teams in the NCAA? Actually it's not hard to figure out. It's those games in the middle of the week.

Teams in this league just don't have the pitching depth when Tuesday and Wednesday roll around. And, some of the teams we in this league are losing to aren't very good teams.

When the coaches in this league realize you better have pitching depth this league will get better. Not everyone has South Alabama's offense.
02-14-2018 06:11 PM
chiefsfan Offline

(02-14-2018 06:11 PM)BirdofParadise Wrote:  Well, he was right when he said someone has to lose games.

After seeing App early in the season I was really surprised when they didn't make it to Statesboro. I do expect them to be better, but I don't think they'll be challenging or anything like that.

Mike Federico is going to make ULM respectable. But it won't happen this year as they were wayyyyy behind everyone else.

I think the writer is giving Georgia State a little more credit than they deserve.

Why doesn't the Sun Belt get more teams in the NCAA? Actually it's not hard to figure out. It's those games in the middle of the week.

Teams in this league just don't have the pitching depth when Tuesday and Wednesday roll around. And, some of the teams we in this league are losing to aren't very good teams.

When the coaches in this league realize you better have pitching depth this league will get better. Not everyone has South Alabama's offense.

There are also struggles with midweek scheduling period. The unique nature of baseball requires most Midweek games to be played against another school within a few hours of campus to avoid missing tons of class time. If you happen to be stuck in a geographic area where there are not a ton of very strong baseball programs, you can be left in a difficult spot without much you can do to rectify the situation.
02-14-2018 11:40 PM
Advertisement

runamuck Offline
All American

I Root For: uta
(02-14-2018 11:40 PM)chiefsfan Wrote:  
(02-14-2018 06:11 PM)BirdofParadise Wrote:  Well, he was right when he said someone has to lose games.

There are also struggles with midweek scheduling period. The unique nature of baseball requires most Midweek games to be played against another school within a few hours of campus to avoid missing tons of class time. If you happen to be stuck in a geographic area where there are not a ton of very strong baseball programs, you can be left in a difficult spot without much you can do to rectify the situation.

uta is in a good location for those midweek games. we always have tcu and dallas baptist and oklahoma/oklahoma state and baylor and a-m in for games. we have been playing one of our home games over at the Texas Rangers ballpark for a while now and that is popular with the area fans. the drawback to being in close proximity to a lot of quality programs is fierce competition for the top players.
02-15-2018 08:22 AM
BirdofParadise Offline
1st String

I Root For:
(02-14-2018 11:40 PM)chiefsfan Wrote:  

TThere

There is no question geography dictates the midweek schedule. And, for some schools, that isn't a good thing.

But here's something you can do about it.

Win those games.
02-15-2018 08:24 AM
JTApps1 Offline
1st String

I Root For: App State

For App last year we simply ran out of pitching. BY the end of the year we only had a few healthy arms, and as they got worn down we couldn't keep up offensively. That shouldn't be nearly as big of an issue this year though as we've added a ton of new players.
02-15-2018 12:55 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.