Advertisement

BinghamptonNed Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Memphis
RE: A little Tyler Harris news
(02-11-2018 09:51 AM)cmt Wrote:  Tyler talks Tubby

Excerpt from the article:

Tyler Harris:

"I feel they're going to get better, sooner or later. I understand they're struggling. I feel the people of Memphis kind of expect a lot of them, I feel. They talk about them but they really don't go out and support them."

maybe skipping the games to protest Tubby's non-recruiting is not the best idea 03-idea
02-11-2018 09:55 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
cmt Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
The reason the crowds are down is Tubby's fault, not ours, we'd be packing the place if he had put a decent top 25 team together, especially with this season's grizzlies. Tubby is the one who decided recruiting is a waste of time and that keeping good players is beneath him, not us.

Unless you want to blame Tubby's bosses, Tubby is our problem, not our fans.

Maybe missing on a good player, to eventually miss our current coach is the price we have to pay?

I still go, not sure why, BTW.
02-11-2018 10:06 AM
snowtiger Offline
Hall of Flamers

I Root For: W's!!!
We're down in a hole.

When you're down in a hole, you flail, looking for anyway to get out.

Finally, you hop out on your own.

Any attempts to blame fans for this fiasco will be ignored.
02-11-2018 12:33 PM
Atlanta Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Memphis Tigers
(02-11-2018 12:33 PM)snowtiger Wrote:  We're down in a hole.

You mean bandwagon fans, right?
02-11-2018 02:14 PM
Stammers Offline
Legend

(02-11-2018 02:14 PM)Atlanta Wrote:  
(02-11-2018 12:33 PM)snowtiger Wrote:  We're down in a hole.

You mean bandwagon fans, right?

Because people love going to bad movies and ****** restaurants.
02-11-2018 03:45 PM
Advertisement

Stammers Offline
Legend

(02-11-2018 10:06 AM)cmt Wrote:  The reason the crowds are down is Tubby's fault, not ours, we'd be packing the place if he had put a decent top 25 team together, especially with this season's grizzlies. Tubby is the one who decided recruiting is a waste of time and that keeping good players is beneath him, not us.

Maybe missing on a good player, to eventually miss our current coach is the price we have to pay?

IF Tubby doesn`t do all of the above, we would have double the attendance we have now.

1. Torch 75% of the roster
2. Sign a good class for 2016
3. Sign a good class for 2017
4. Sign a good class for 2018
5. Put a better product on the court this season
6. Have reasonable hope for the future

All the fanbase is asking for is 1 out of the 6 listed above, plus try not to say something stupid every time you open your mouth. How difficult could that be? Not difficult at all, yet Tubby has managed to screw everything up on every level.
02-11-2018 03:48 PM
TigerTodd72 Offline
1st String

(02-11-2018 03:48 PM)Stammers Wrote:  
(02-11-2018 10:06 AM)cmt Wrote:  The reason the crowds are down is Tubby's fault, not ours, we'd be packing the place if he had put a decent top 25 team together, especially with this season's grizzlies. Tubby is the one who decided recruiting is a waste of time and that keeping good players is beneath him, not us.

IF Tubby doesn`t do all of the above, we would have double the attendance we have now.

1. Torch 75% of the roster
2. Sign a good class for 2016
3. Sign a good class for 2017
4. Sign a good class for 2018
5. Put a better product on the court this season
6. Have reasonable hope for the future

All the fanbase is asking for is 1 out of the 6 listed above, plus try not to say something stupid every time you open your mouth. How difficult could that be? Not difficult at all, yet Tubby has managed to screw everything up on every level.

Not to mention strangle the golden goose by booting Keelon and replacing him with his son, who brings nothing to the table.
02-11-2018 08:20 PM
bcmemphis Offline
Bench Warmer

Why are fans really staying away? Watching teams with similar records as Memphis(14 to 16 wins); there are crowds at the games. Are we so spoiled as a fanbase that we only support a top level winner?

I am very disappointed in our team, also. But in contrast, I was a student at Memphis State and attended games as far back as the Mid South Coliseum. If Memphis was playing, there was a good crowd. Memphis was not always winning the conference back then. But, very competitive. The vibe was different then. Diehard Tiger fans were REAL. Today there is so much negativity flowing about our Coaches, Players, Administration, Fans. We are cannabalizing our own program.

I am not saying it’s not a mess. I’m saying that Tyler Smith and his Father’s observations about fan support has merit. We are not very good fans.
02-12-2018 09:23 AM
TIGERCITY Offline
Hall of Famer

So what is Tubby doing to correct this mess? Other than not a damn thing.
02-12-2018 09:38 AM
cmt Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
(02-12-2018 09:23 AM)bcmemphis Wrote:  Why are fans really staying away? Watching teams with similar records as Memphis(14 to 16 wins); there are crowds at the games. Are we so spoiled as a fanbase that we only support a top level winner?

I am very disappointed in our team, also. But in contrast, I was a student at Memphis State and attended games as far back as the Mid South Coliseum. If Memphis was playing, there was a good crowd. Memphis was not always winning the conference back then. But, very competitive. The vibe was different then. Diehard Tiger fans were REAL. Today there is so much negativity flowing about our Coaches, Players, Administration, Fans. We are cannabalizing our own program.

I am not saying it’s not a mess. I’m saying that Tyler Smith and his Father’s observations about fan support has merit. We are not very good fans.

We always went to games because we were either good last season or had hope to be good next season and we always had a real chance to win. I would argue that this is the first time in 50 years that we don't have a prayer to win a big game.
02-12-2018 10:02 AM
Advertisement

Tony85 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Sanity
(02-12-2018 09:23 AM)bcmemphis Wrote:  Why are fans really staying away? Watching teams with similar records as Memphis(14 to 16 wins); there are crowds at the games. Are we so spoiled as a fanbase that we only support a top level winner?

I'm from that era too but back then we had a roster full of local talent and hope in the upcoming seasons. Heck Josh's tenure started off that way but it fell off. Tubby has been asleep at the wheel but we are the same fanbase as back then.
02-12-2018 10:03 AM
BinghamptonNed Offline
Hall of Famer

(02-12-2018 09:38 AM)TIGERCITY Wrote:  So what is Tubby doing to correct this mess? Other than not a damn thing.

are you kidding?

Tubby is doing a lot - He Has:

Blamed the fans for too high expectations

Blamed recruits for not coming

Blamed players for not doing what he told them to do

Blamed players for needing psychiatric help

Blamed players for lack of effort.

Tubby is doing his job -- If only everyone else would pull their weight this would be a great situation.
(This post was last modified: 02-12-2018 10:04 AM by BinghamptonNed.)
02-12-2018 10:04 AM
jamammy Offline
Heisman

(02-12-2018 10:04 AM)BinghamptonNed Wrote:  
(02-12-2018 09:38 AM)TIGERCITY Wrote:  So what is Tubby doing to correct this mess? Other than not a damn thing.

are you kidding?

Tubby is doing a lot - He Has:

Blamed the fans for too high expectations

Blamed recruits for not coming

Blamed players for not doing what he told them to do

Blamed players for needing psychiatric help

Blamed players for lack of effort.

Tubby is doing his job -- If only everyone else would pull their weight this would be a great situation.

You know the old saying "Do as Tubby says, not as Tubby does."
02-12-2018 10:35 AM
DallasTiger Offline
Hall of Famer

(02-11-2018 09:55 AM)BinghamptonNed Wrote:  
(02-11-2018 09:51 AM)cmt Wrote:  Tyler talks Tubby

Excerpt from the article:

Tyler Harris:

"I feel they're going to get better, sooner or later. I understand they're struggling. I feel the people of Memphis kind of expect a lot of them, I feel. They talk about them but they really don't go out and support them."

maybe skipping the games to protest Tubby's non-recruiting is not the best idea 03-idea
Players get it....our fans don't and many still don't even though it is so apparent. Our crowds show lack of support for the school and its teams if they do not win at a preconceived level. What that does is say.....we have no school spirit. Players can look at the crowds in the stands from when we had exceptionally good teams and when we had teams with winning records but...not a conference champion. It is very telling on our fans. Basically, if you don't win...at the level we think you should win....as MR WONDERFUL says..."You are dead to me." We are our own worst enemy.
02-12-2018 10:43 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Tygrys Offline
Heisman

Who are you watching that is at 14-16 wins at this point in the season and still drawing decent crowds?

The part in bold perfectly sums it up. Competitive. Memphis has not been competitive in 2 full seasons and there is absolutely nothing that gives fans a glimmer of hope about next year.

The negative vibe is being set by Tubby himself. He is calling fans out, throwing his players under the bus, telling everyone who will listen expectations are unreasonable and so on.

Despite what many think, our fan base is not unique in that numbers fall drastically after prolonged stretches of mediocrity and being just down right bad. Under John Pelphry Arkansas was literally giving away tickets at will call to anyone who was willing to just show up and they have great arena, in a major conference, a national title, and no pro or other major college teams to compete with...
02-12-2018 11:09 AM
Advertisement

Unionman76 Online
Heisman

memphis has the 17th largest arena (capacity) in college mens basketball

in our conference, cincinnati is 2nd, with 5000 less seats

most of our conference play their games in outhouses
02-12-2018 11:23 AM
TigerBabbler Offline
All American

I Root For:
Tyler isn't coming to Memphis...PERIOD! If he was coming he would've committed by now...
02-12-2018 06:37 PM
memphisike Offline
Heisman

I Root For: memphis tigers
PENNY will correct this mess immediately
02-12-2018 07:43 PM
Hernando Hills Tiger Offline
High score: 819 (credit)

I Root For: USA

DonatorsFolding@NCAAbbsFolding@NCAAbbs
(02-12-2018 07:43 PM)memphisike Wrote:  PENNY will correct this mess immediately

03-lmfao
02-12-2018 08:08 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.