Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Game Week: @Kent and @BG
Bookmark and Share
emu steve Offline
Legend

I Root For: EMU / MAC
Game Week: @Kent and @BG
It seems that under Murphy the team seems to awaken after Ground Hog's Day (2nd half of the MAC season).

We are in the 2nd half of the MAC season and yes, Phil, saw his shadow, so we'll have six more weeks of MAC basketball (er, winter).

We go on the road to play two decent but beatable teams...
02-04-2018 06:25 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Luckeyone Offline
Heisman

I Root For: EMU
RE: Game Week: @Kent and @BG
(02-04-2018 06:25 AM)emu steve Wrote:  It seems that under Murphy the team seems to awaken after Ground Hog's Day (2nd half of the MAC season).

We are in the 2nd half of the MAC season and yes, Phil, saw his shadow, so we'll have six more weeks of MAC basketball (er, winter).

We go on the road to play two decent but beatable teams...

Kent 73 EMU 70
02-04-2018 08:05 AM
vannzee Offline
Special Teams

Question,

With the win yesterday does that put us in position to host a first round MAC game? Right now after the top 2-3 teams it is a jumbled mess.

At this point in the season a first round MAC game at the Convo would be considering the season a success and start from there.
02-04-2018 11:58 AM
emu steve Offline
Legend

(02-04-2018 11:58 AM)vannzee Wrote:  Question,

With the win yesterday does that put us in position to host a first round MAC game? Right now after the top 2-3 teams it is a jumbled mess.

At this point in the season a first round MAC game at the Convo would be considering the season a success and start from there.

Yes, we are tied with CMU for the last spot (8th) which gets an opening round home game.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/standings
02-04-2018 12:05 PM
Jerry Weaver Offline
All American

After watching a lot of MAC basketball this year, I am sure of one thing. The ONLY team possessing more raw talent is Buffalo. Come tourney time EMU is likely to be everyone's worst nightmare draw.
02-04-2018 08:55 PM
Luckeyone Offline
Heisman

(02-04-2018 08:55 PM)Jerry Weaver Wrote:  After watching a lot of MAC basketball this year, I am sure of one thing. The ONLY team possessing more raw talent is Buffalo. Come tourney time EMU is likely to be everyone's worst nightmare draw.

That's Steve's line.
02-04-2018 09:47 PM
Advertisement

emu steve Offline
Legend

(02-04-2018 09:47 PM)Luckeyone Wrote:  
(02-04-2018 08:55 PM)Jerry Weaver Wrote:  After watching a lot of MAC basketball this year, I am sure of one thing. The ONLY team possessing more raw talent is Buffalo. Come tourney time EMU is likely to be everyone's worst nightmare draw.

That's Steve's line.

Yeah, I forgot to use: ©
(This post was last modified: 02-04-2018 09:49 PM by emu steve.)
02-04-2018 09:49 PM
emu steve Offline
Legend

Question:

Are the four byes for the MAC tourney the four best records OR top two from each division?

(watched part of the game on replay and the KSU announcers seemed to indicate the latter).

Edit: Official word: Top 4 regardless of division.

We would be competing with FIVE teams (Kent, BG, Miami, BSU, WMU) for TWO byes. Assume UB and TOL don't fold...

I'm prognosticating but a win @BG Saturday and home vs. Miami would put us in very good stead for a first round bye. This is what I see.

1). We would hold tie-breaker (head to head) over Miami and Kent.

2). We would be even head to head with Ball State and BG.

And at a later date:

3). We would need to beat WMU to be even with them.

Our loss to UB has no meaning nor would any losses to Toledo. the other teams seem completely out of it.
(This post was last modified: 02-07-2018 09:45 AM by emu steve.)
02-07-2018 09:16 AM
emu steve Offline
Legend

Some teams will lose ground in the race for the byes to CLE Friday night:

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketb...e/20180209
02-07-2018 09:50 AM
FrankAnderson Offline
All American

MAC tweeted out the cross-division standings last night: https://twitter.com/MACSports/status/961073439388913666

Reason 3452321 to get rid of basketball conferences: make it easier for fans to follow along! No website (not even the official MAC site) keeps track of standings/seedings for the tournament. Entirely have to rely on these tweets from their account.
02-07-2018 10:27 AM
EagleSam Offline
Heisman

Yeah, the divisions are useless in the current format. It's nice to play the other directional and Toledo twice a year, but divisional standings have no bearing on seeding in the tournament, so why have them? EMU won the west in Murphy's first year, but still finished 5th or 6th in the conference with no bye. Just do away with the divisions like most other conferences have done in basketball. Makes it easier to know where you stand.
02-07-2018 10:35 AM
Advertisement

FrankAnderson Offline
All American

(02-07-2018 10:35 AM)EagleSam Wrote:  Yeah, the divisions are useless in the current format. It's nice to play the other directional and Toledo twice a year, but divisional standings have no bearing on seeding in the tournament, so why have them? EMU won the west in Murphy's first year, but still finished 5th or 6th in the conference with no bye. Just do away with the divisions like most other conferences have done in basketball. Makes it easier to know where you stand.

And give the best team in the divisions (as they are now) the chance to go up against the best of the other division too.

Toledo is on fire this year, but they have to play NIU (who isn't a traditional basketball power) and CMU (who is down) TWICE. Wouldn't we all rather have the chance to rotate around so our best teams are more likely to get a shot at the other best teams twice in a season?
02-07-2018 10:46 AM
emu steve Offline
Legend

(02-07-2018 10:35 AM)EagleSam Wrote:  Yeah, the divisions are useless in the current format. It's nice to play the other directional and Toledo twice a year, but divisional standings have no bearing on seeding in the tournament, so why have them? EMU won the west in Murphy's first year, but still finished 5th or 6th in the conference with no bye. Just do away with the divisions like most other conferences have done in basketball. Makes it easier to know where you stand.

My guess: MBB/WBB divisions follow football.

They may seem vestigial, like an appendix, but they are there and guide scheduling (home and home intra-division).
(This post was last modified: 02-07-2018 10:55 AM by emu steve.)
02-07-2018 10:54 AM
EagleSam Offline
Heisman

STAT UPDATE:

https://static.getsomemaction.com/custom...nfonly.htm

Through 11 conference games, we are now first in the MAC in scoring defense, opposing FG%, opposing 3pt%, blocks (averaging 2 more per game than the 2nd place team), and steals. Not bad for a coach that can't teach defense, right Luckey?

...Unfortunately, we are dead last in scoring offense and free throw percentage, as well as 11th in turnovers (only 6 less than the 12th spot, Ball State). These last two games have shown this disparity as well. We look stellar on defense, but our lack of offense keeps the opponent in the game. I saw some nice offensive changes yesterday, notably Groce attacking the basket with less reckless abandon, and Thompson looking more confident as the roll man on PnR's. If we made even our season average in three pointers, we would have coasted. But it's always something that holds our offense back, and it seems to be a different "something" every game.

I think we are past the point of hoping that Murphy miraculously improves our offensive system. Our season now hinges on our defense remaining suffocating, as well as scoring enough in transition to not make it a free throw contest at the end of games.

Let's hope beating a good Kent State team on the road is the confidence builder this team needs to get some revenge at BG.
(This post was last modified: 02-07-2018 11:48 AM by EagleSam.)
02-07-2018 11:38 AM
Jerry Weaver Offline
All American

(02-07-2018 11:38 AM)EagleSam Wrote:  STAT UPDATE:

Through 11 conference games, we are now first in the MAC in scoring defense, opposing FG%, opposing 3pt%, blocks (averaging 2 more per game than the 2nd place team), and steals. Not bad for a coach that can't teach defense, right Luckey?

...Unfortunately, we are dead last in scoring offense and free throw percentage, as well as 11th in turnovers (only 6 less than the 12th spot, Ball State). These last two games have shown this disparity as well. We look stellar on defense, but our lack of offense keeps the opponent in the game. I saw some nice offensive changes yesterday, notably Groce attacking the basket with less reckless abandon, and Thompson looking more confident as the roll man on PnR's. If we made even our season average in three pointers, we would have coasted. But it's always something that holds our offense back, and it seems to be a different "something" every game.

I think we are past the point of hoping that Murphy miraculously improves our offensive system. Our season now hinges on our defense remaining suffocating, as well as scoring enough in transition to not make it a free throw contest at the end of games.

Let's hope beating a good Kent State team on the road is the confidence builder this team needs to get some revenge at BG.

Solid analysis Sam. We are so freaking fast there is no reason we should not be running other teams ragged. We don't need a motion offense or 3 point shooters if we beat the other team down the floor to the basket. Plus watch how hard the opponent goes to the offensive boards when they have to worry about the fast break. Yes transition teams do suffer more turnovers but we have turned the ball over quite a lot in our current half court offensive scheme. Murphy needs to turn the thoroughbreds loose.
02-07-2018 07:35 PM
emu steve Offline
Legend

And if one wants to go geeky, look at conference FTs.

The conference 'median' is .718%. We are at .618.

Difference is 10%. We took 191 shots and made 118, instead of say 137. We left 19 points on the table, almost 2 points per game, compared to an 'average' team.

And if one wants to look at Toledo, WMU, CMU... They have 50 - 65 more made FTs than us.

(This post was last modified: 02-08-2018 07:42 AM by emu steve.)
02-08-2018 07:41 AM
Advertisement

Jerry Weaver Offline
All American

(02-08-2018 07:41 AM)emu steve Wrote:  

And if one wants to go geeky, look at conference FTs.

The conference 'median' is .718%. We are at .618.

Difference is 10%. We took 191 shots and made 118, instead of say 137. We left 19 points on the table, almost 2 points per game, compared to an 'average' team.

And if one wants to look at Toledo, WMU, CMU... They have 50 - 65 more made FTs than us.

Sam you have pointed out a MAJOR flaw in our game, there can be no doubt about it. I think, however, you may have indeed understated just how serious it is. How many front ends of the one and one do we miss as well? One miss there equates to two lost potential easy points.

I was amazed when CMU came to the Convo and seemed to be flopping at will. Then I realized that they are really not a very good basketball team but they DO shoot free throws very well. It was comedic to a degree but they played to their strength.

Nevertheless Sam you are dead on here, to seriously compete our free throw shooting needs massive improvement.
02-08-2018 07:56 PM
TheWoodenNickle Online
Heisman

EMU needs to beat up on BG like they should have done in Jan.
02-08-2018 09:56 PM
emu steve Offline
Legend

A little O/T to these games, but our season ending regular season game at TOL will be on CBSSN and be at 6:00 p.m.

http://emueagles.com/news/2018/2/9/mens-...cbssn.aspx
02-09-2018 02:31 PM
Luckeyone Offline
Heisman

Sam, you and I can agree to disagree about our defense. I agree with a lot of your posts, player analysis and game analysis too but if you're telling me EMUs defense is best in the conference, I would whole heartedly disagree with you. Murphy does not run Syracuse's 2-3 zone but rather more similar to a 4-1. He absolutely wants to stop the opponents 3 pt field goals. Impatient teams or one dimensional offenses struggle scoring with the zone. However patient teams that work the ball to the paint and then assist to a base line cutter usually gets a layup or a kick out to a wide open shooter in the corner. Then there's the biggest flaw of the zone and that's giving opponents too many shot attempts. I can't recall the game but we gave up 11 offensive rebounds in the first half alone. EMU ranks last in rebounding and last at giving opponents offensive rebounds. DEFENSIVE REB PCT. G Team D-Reb Opp. O-REb D-Reb Pct.
1. Miami 12 307 99 .756
2. Bowling Green 11 289 97 .749
3. Buffalo 11 313 110 .740
4. Ball State 12 343 128 .728
5. Western Michigan 11 257 96 .728
6. Toledo 12 350 131 .728
7. Kent State 12 296 112 .725
8. Northern Illinois 11 258 98 .725
9. Akron 11 257 99 .722
10. Central Michigan 11 269 110 .710
11. Ohio 11 280 117 .705
12. Eastern Michigan 11 269 134 .667

Although the zone allows players to gamble for a steal or defend the three point shot, it can rip your heart out and doesn't provide the overall benefit when opponents get too many shot attempts.

Also, although our scoring defense might be number one, I believe it's somewhat misleading because Murphy slows the game down because his Offense is so bad. During Ron English's last season as Football coach, his defense was last in giving up rushing yards and 1st in passing defense. Do you really believe it was 1st in passing defense or that since the other teams could run at will they didn't need to pass? I'm saying You have to look deeper in the stats because they may not tell the whole story.

EMU just had an opportunity playing a soft part of their conference schedule. Let's see how we do with Toledo coming up twice, NIU and WMU. Then let's look at the season stats.

Sam, how can EMU be last in rebounding when we have the second tallest team in the country? Answer: Zone leaves you out of position. During Murphy's tenure, he's typically had the most athletic team. There's no one in the conference more athletic than Tim Bond. There's no one better at the 4 & 5 spots than Minnie and James. I wonder what our record would be if we played some man to man? I would bet we may lead the league in rebounding, opponent 3 pt FG %, scoring defense, and add a few more wins.

Unquestionably we all agree with you that Murphy can't coach offense and the anemic FT % is on the players.

I'm still predicting we win 8-10 regular season conference games.
02-10-2018 02:35 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.