Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Coach Bloomgren's Presentation at Coaches Meeting
Mademen Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: UH
Coach Bloomgren's Presentation at Coaches Meeting
I heard Coach Bloomgren speak this morning at the Texas High School Coaches' Association Region 5 meeting at The Coleman coliseum. Wow. He is an impressive dude with lots of energy. He gave a great presentation on his own journey as well as what he plans to implement at Rice. He also gave a clinic on the blocking techniques that they will be installing that are little different than most coaches' philosophy. If I was a HS offensive lineman, Bloomgren is the guy I would want to study under. The background of his staff is incredibly impressive too. Pete Lembo is a stud and he took his OL assistant from Stanford. I really think Rice hit a HOME RUN with this hire.
02-03-2018 05:16 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Owl 69/70/75 Offline
Just an old rugby coach

I Root For: RiceBathChelsea

DonatorsNew Orleans Bowl
RE: Coach Bloomgren's Presentation at Coaches Meeting
(02-03-2018 05:16 PM)Mademen Wrote:  I heard Coach Bloomgren speak this morning at the Texas High School Coaches' Association Region 5 meeting at The Coleman coliseum. Wow. He is an impressive dude with lots of energy. He gave a great presentation on his own journey as well as what he plans to implement at Rice. He also gave a clinic on the blocking techniques that they will be installing that are little different than most coaches' philosophy. If I was a HS offensive lineman, Bloomgren is the guy I would want to study under. The background of his staff is incredibly impressive too. Pete Lembo is a stud and he took his OL assistant from Stanford. I really think Rice hit a HOME RUN with this hire.

Well, that's one forum that really matters. If he can score a hit with those guys, that will definitely lead to an upgrade in recruiting. And that alone could be enough to make him a home run hire.
(This post was last modified: 02-03-2018 05:39 PM by Owl 69/70/75.)
02-03-2018 05:22 PM
Pimpa Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Rice Owls
(02-03-2018 05:16 PM)Mademen Wrote:  I heard Coach Bloomgren speak this morning at the Texas High School Coaches' Association Region 5 meeting at The Coleman coliseum. Wow. He is an impressive dude with lots of energy. He gave a great presentation on his own journey as well as what he plans to implement at Rice. He also gave a clinic on the blocking techniques that they will be installing that are little different than most coaches' philosophy. If I was a HS offensive lineman, Bloomgren is the guy I would want to study under. The background of his staff is incredibly impressive too. Pete Lembo is a stud and he took his OL assistant from Stanford. I really think Rice hit a HOME RUN with this hire.

Thanks for the report, Mademen. Appreciate the insight.
02-03-2018 05:34 PM
Tomball Owl Offline
Hall of Famer

(02-03-2018 05:34 PM)Pimpa Wrote:  

+1!
02-03-2018 05:43 PM
fortheplayers Offline
2nd String

I Root For:
The Parliament Awards
(02-03-2018 05:43 PM)Tomball Owl Wrote:  
(02-03-2018 05:34 PM)Pimpa Wrote:  

+1!

Fantastic....Thank you
02-03-2018 06:07 PM
Tiki Owl Offline
Hall of Famer

The Parliament AwardsCrappiesNew Orleans BowlDonatorsThe Parliament Awards
Thanks.
02-03-2018 06:56 PM
Advertisement

OptimisticOwl Offline
Legend

I Root For: Rice

The Parliament AwardsNew Orleans BowlFootball GeniusCrappiesDonatorsDonators
I like what I am hearing so far. Looking forward to seeing it validated on the field with victories.
02-03-2018 07:00 PM
Intellectual_Brutality Online
1st String

I Root For: Rice Owls!
Thanks for the info!
02-03-2018 07:03 PM
Tiki Owl Offline
Hall of Famer

The Parliament AwardsCrappiesNew Orleans BowlDonatorsThe Parliament Awards
(02-03-2018 07:00 PM)OptimisticOwl Wrote:  I like what I am hearing so far. Looking forward to seeing it validated on the field with victories.

Being competitive would be a major improvement.
02-03-2018 07:04 PM
OptimisticOwl Offline
Legend

(02-03-2018 07:04 PM)Tiki Owl Wrote:  
(02-03-2018 07:00 PM)OptimisticOwl Wrote:  I like what I am hearing so far. Looking forward to seeing it validated on the field with victories.

I don't want a season of five point losses. I want a season of wins.
02-03-2018 07:04 PM
Intellectual_Brutality Online
1st String

I Root For: Rice Owls!
Looks like a full house
[Image: DVI55ZmVQAAHRRy.jpg:large]
02-03-2018 07:09 PM
Advertisement

Owl 69/70/75 Offline
Just an old rugby coach

DonatorsNew Orleans Bowl
(02-03-2018 07:04 PM)OptimisticOwl Wrote:  
(02-03-2018 07:04 PM)Tiki Owl Wrote:  
I don't want a season of five point losses. I want a season of wins.

I agree and I think Bloomgren does as well. “Oh we lost but at least we made it closer,” is a death knell as far as I’m concerned.
02-03-2018 07:45 PM
Ranger Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: SOF/Owl Basebal
On the other hand, it takes time to turn a program around, especially one that had been in free fall. Don’t expect a national championship his first year.
02-04-2018 12:43 PM
Owl 69/70/75 Offline
Just an old rugby coach

DonatorsNew Orleans Bowl
(02-04-2018 12:43 PM)Ranger Wrote:  On the other hand, it takes time to turn a program around, especially one that had been in free fall. Don’t expect a national championship his first year.

I clearly don't. What I do expect is to see a disciplined, focused, well-prepared team that executes its assignments correctly. I expect that team to get out-athleted a few times, and to lose those games. But I also expect it to win games where the talent gap is small enough, either way, that the team with the better scheme and execution wins. I find id very interesting that he hired a quality special teams coordinator. That is NFL thinking, and a significant departure from our recent past approach.
(This post was last modified: 02-04-2018 03:41 PM by Owl 69/70/75.)
02-04-2018 12:49 PM
graceful Offline
Bench Warmer

Thank you!
02-04-2018 03:18 PM
davidw Offline
Special Teams

Mademen you've been spot on with your previous observations posted on this board, so seeing your post here has gotten me even more excited about Coach Bloom. Thanks for weighing in.
02-04-2018 03:46 PM
Advertisement

Antarius Offline
Say no to cronyism

(02-04-2018 12:49 PM)Owl 69/70/75 Wrote:  
(02-04-2018 12:43 PM)Ranger Wrote:  On the other hand, it takes time to turn a program around, especially one that had been in free fall. Don’t expect a national championship his first year.

I clearly don't. What I do expect is to see a disciplined, focused, well-prepared team that executes its assignments correctly. I expect that team to get out-athleted a few times, and to lose those games. But I also expect it to win games where the talent gap is small enough, either way, that the team with the better scheme and execution wins. I find id very interesting that he hired a quality special teams coordinator. That is NFL thinking, and a significant departure from our recent past approach.

The ST decision making is very encouraging. It shows that we actually have a plan.. and that is extremely exciting as a fan.
02-04-2018 03:59 PM
GoodOwl Offline
The 1 Hoo Knocks

I Root For: New Horizons
(02-04-2018 12:49 PM)Owl 69/70/75 Wrote:  

I clearly don't. What I do expect is to see a disciplined, focused, well-prepared team that executes its assignments correctly. I expect that team to get out-athleted a few times, and to lose those games. But I also expect it to win games where the talent gap is small enough, either way, that the team with the better scheme and execution wins. I find id[t] very interesting that he hired a quality special teams coordinator. That is NFL thinking, and a significant departure from our recent past approach.

Thank you for this post, Owl#s.
You were very consistent with your posts about these very issues over the past 10 years while some chose to keep defending the seemingly perceived 'brilliance' of the previous regime. I hope Coach Bloomgren is the "Pepto-Bismol" for the ill stomach Rice football gave many fans over much (but not all) of the past mostly wasted decade. Like many of your more recent posts in the past two seasons, I just could not stomach watching the train wreck anymore. I hope we all get to see something that actually looks like Rice football players playing the game of football like it was meant to be played going forward, win or lose. The fact that that change from the previous train-wreck approach would be considered a step up for our school's gridders shows just how bad the admin let the program get. 'Why?' is a question that many of us will never know the real answer to, irrespective of how much we may wonder on this forum.
02-06-2018 11:06 AM
OptimisticOwl Offline
Legend

I just want to see wins. In the end, that is the measure.
02-06-2018 11:14 AM
mrbig Offline
Heisman

I saw quite a few tweets that the Rice coaching staff was in the San Antonio area giving similar presentations yesterday.
02-06-2018 11:15 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.