Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Most likely R5 schools to be demoted...
C2__ Offline
Caltex2

I Root For: Houston, PVAMU
My money is on Boston College. What about screams them they belong where they are?

Baylor and TCU also have their days numbered. It's admirable what they did to get back on the right side of the rope but TCU won't be up there for very long.

Texas Tech also may struggle some but stand a better shot because they're a public school.

We'll see on Miami. They don't have a sizable core fanbase, though it's bigger than it used to be. But winning is what stopped them from dropping down to FCS or football entirely.

Wake Forest is lucky they're grandfathered in as a charter member of the ACC.
01-23-2018 06:56 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

loki_the_bubba Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Rice Owls
RE: Most likely R5 schools to be demoted...
ISU

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using CSNbbs mobile app
01-23-2018 07:04 PM
dbackjon Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: NAU/Illini
R5?
01-23-2018 07:06 PM
quo vadis Offline
Legend

I Root For: USF/Georgetown
(01-23-2018 06:56 PM)_C2_ Wrote:  My money is on Boston College. What about screams them they belong where they are?

Baylor and TCU also have their days numbered. It's admirable what they did to get back on the right side of the rope but TCU won't be up there for very long.

Texas Tech also may struggle some but stand a better shot because they're a public school.

We'll see on Miami. They don't have a sizable core fanbase, though it's bigger than it used to be. But winning is what stopped them from dropping down to FCS or football entirely.

1) What "screams" that BC belongs is that the ACC invited them. You think the ACC is going somewhere? That they are just going to up and decide to boot them out?

2) Your mention of the three Texas schools doesn't seem based on anything but in-state jealousy that they are all in the Club while Houston has its nose pressed to the glass from the outside.

3) Saying Wake was grandfathered in as a charter member of the ACC is like saying Bill Gates is grandfathered in at Microsoft 'merely' because he was a founder.

Hint: "Charter member" means nobody ever grandfathered you, YOU are the grandfather deciding whether others get in or not.
(This post was last modified: 01-23-2018 07:22 PM by quo vadis.)
01-23-2018 07:21 PM
jacksfan29 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: So Dak St/CU
(01-23-2018 06:56 PM)_C2_ Wrote:  My money is on Boston College. What about screams them they belong where they are?

Were you drunk when you wrote this?
01-23-2018 07:24 PM
ark30inf Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Arkansas State
Whichever one is in the path of the asteroid. That's the only way that will happen.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk
01-23-2018 07:28 PM
Advertisement

C2__ Offline
Caltex2

(01-23-2018 07:06 PM)dbackjon Wrote:  R5?

I call them the Rich 5.
01-23-2018 07:42 PM
GoldenWarrior11 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Marquette, BE
(01-23-2018 07:42 PM)_C2_ Wrote:  

I call them the Rich 5.

We should start calling the G5 the Poor 5. That way they will finally be in a P conference.
01-23-2018 07:58 PM
C2__ Offline
Caltex2

(01-23-2018 07:21 PM)quo vadis Wrote:  

1) What "screams" that BC belongs is that the ACC invited them. You think the ACC is going somewhere? That they are just going to up and decide to boot them out?

2) Your mention of the three Texas schools doesn't seem based on anything but in-state jealousy that they are all in the Club while Houston has its nose pressed to the glass from the outside.

3) Saying Wake was grandfathered in as a charter member of the ACC is like saying Bill Gates is grandfathered in at Microsoft 'merely' because he was a founder.

Hint: "Charter member" means nobody ever grandfathered you, YOU are the grandfather deciding whether others get in or not.

The ACC could go somewhere. Or alternatively, the core of the conference could. Look at the WAC, PCC and SWC. BC's attendance sucks, they're in a pro sports market and they haven't been too, too competitive over the years. And there may still be bad blood between them and the other former core members of the Big East they left behind, heck, that might be an issue if they need an AAC invite.

TCU has peaked. They're back, but for how long? It's admirable that they showed you could rebuild it from little or nothing but their potential going forward is limited, regardless of anything Houston does. Baylor is scandal-ridden, a private school and unlike TCU, didn't get into the Big 12 based on merit but upon politics and nepotism. Heck, they may just be joining Houston in the outhouse.

Tech, as a public school should be fine but that's not for certain if the Big 12 implodes. They'really isolated geographically and the closest major conference for the most part is hundreds of miles away in either direction.
01-23-2018 08:01 PM
C2__ Offline
Caltex2

(01-23-2018 07:58 PM)GoldenWarrior11 Wrote:  
(01-23-2018 07:42 PM)_C2_ Wrote:  

I call them the Rich 5.

We should start calling the G5 the Poor 5. That way they will finally be in a P conference.

Yeah, how offensive and funny. It's not entirely untrue.
01-23-2018 08:02 PM
C2__ Offline
Caltex2

Rich 5...
01-23-2018 08:06 PM
Advertisement

bullet Offline
Legend

I Root For: Texas, UK, UGA
(01-23-2018 08:01 PM)_C2_ Wrote:  
(01-23-2018 07:21 PM)quo vadis Wrote:  

The ACC could go somewhere. Or alternatively, the core of the conference could. Look at the WAC, PCC and SWC. BC's attendance sucks, they're in a pro sports market and they haven't been too, too competitive over the years. And there may still be bad blood between them and the other former core members of the Big East they left behind, heck, that might be an issue if they need an AAC invite.

TCU has peaked. They're back, but for how long? It's admirable that they showed you could rebuild it from little or nothing but their potential going forward is limited, regardless of anything Houston does. Baylor is scandal-ridden, a private school and unlike TCU, didn't get into the Big 12 based on merit but upon politics and nepotism. Heck, they may just be joining Houston in the outhouse.

Tech, as a public school should be fine but that's not for certain if the Big 12 implodes. They'really isolated geographically and the closest major conference for the most part is hundreds of miles away in either direction.

BC is 5th in the ACC in title game appearances. They regularly sold out before they hit their recent slump. Their attendance still isn't bad. You can count on one hand the G5 schools with better attendance.

TCU has finished ranked in the top 10 3 of the last 8 years. Lots of schools would love to have that "peak." They're one of only 21 schools with more than 1 top 3 finish going back to 1984. Oregon and Georgia are the only other schools in that group of 21 without an MNC during that time. So that's a pretty exclusive club.
01-23-2018 08:35 PM
C2__ Offline
Caltex2

Their attendance wouldn't be bad for an R5 school. As it stands, they play in a ~45,000~ seat stadium, so even if they were selling out, they still wouldn't have great attendance by R5 standards.

Conference realignment is like musical chairs and tectonic plates. If the plates start shifting they may find themselves without a seat.
01-23-2018 08:42 PM
BePcr07 Offline
All American

I Root For: Boise St & Zags
It’ll be Baylor, and only Baylor, IFFFF any schools are left behind. Wake Forest, the former Big East schools, plains state schools, PAC “X State” schools, and TCU are safe.
01-23-2018 08:46 PM
michael.stevens.3110 Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: TCU
(01-23-2018 08:46 PM)BePcr07 Wrote:  It’ll be Baylor, and only Baylor, IFFFF any schools are left behind. Wake Forest, the former Big East schools, plains state schools, PAC “X State” schools, and TCU are safe.

They are NOT leaving any schools out ... TOO much money involved ... The Media consider TCU to be the Number Three Big 12 school from a NATIONAL MEDIA perspective .. RoseBowl Victory , OmahaBaseball ..NIT Champs .. Big 12 Title Game .. The Frogs Rock ..!!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
01-23-2018 08:52 PM
C2__ Offline
Caltex2

Houston was a pretty significant name 30 years ago. Times change. TCU is fine for now but not wholly safe.

I don't see them getting dropped any time soon but times change. Most importantly, the Big 12 isn't as stable as it was 15 years ago.
01-23-2018 09:01 PM
Advertisement

BePcr07 Offline
All American

I Root For: Boise St & Zags
(01-23-2018 08:52 PM)michael.stevens.3110 Wrote:  
(01-23-2018 08:46 PM)BePcr07 Wrote:  It’ll be Baylor, and only Baylor, IFFFF any schools are left behind. Wake Forest, the former Big East schools, plains state schools, PAC “X State” schools, and TCU are safe.

They are NOT leaving any schools out ... TOO much money involved ... The Media consider TCU to be the Number Three Big 12 school from a NATIONAL MEDIA perspective .. RoseBowl Victory , OmahaBaseball ..NIT Champs .. Big 12 Title Game .. The Frogs Rock ..!!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I said TCU is safe...? And I said Baylor only if but I didn’t say they should...
01-23-2018 09:12 PM
ken d Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: college sports
(01-23-2018 08:42 PM)_C2_ Wrote:  Their attendance wouldn't be bad for an R5 school. As it stands, they play in a ~45,000~ seat stadium, so even if they were selling out, they still wouldn't have great attendance by R5 standards.

Conference realignment is like musical chairs and tectonic plates. If the plates start shifting they may find themselves without a seat.

How many times when these plates shifted did a major conference expel a member?
01-23-2018 09:34 PM
C2__ Offline
Caltex2

Temple, UConn, SMU, TCU, Rice, Houston, South Florida, Cincinnati in the last 25 years alone. It happens, conferences collapse, teams get kicked out for performance (Temple). It happens.
01-23-2018 10:06 PM
templefootballfan Offline
Heisman

I Root For: TU & BGSU & TEX
Duke out, BB falls off a cliff when Coach K is out
01-23-2018 10:21 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.