Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

So personal story that really opened my eyes.
Machiavelli Offline
Back to Reality. Oh there goes Gravity

I Root For: BGSU
So personal story that really opened my eyes.
Last Wednesday I had shoulder surgery. Reattached Labrum, trimmed cartilage to unwrinkle the glenoid cavity, and shaved the numerous head to get rid of bone spurs. Dr said I have an excellent prognosis and I should see a drastic uptick in my quality of life in about 6 weeks. I had a tear in the supraspinatus (part of the rotator cuff) but he didn’t get into it and thinks the main problem was the impingement of the caracoid joint. Ok blah blah but I know we have some medical guys here and I wanted to explain.

So here’s where this gets interesting. A couple of years back I had nasal surgery for a deviated septum. I was prescribed OxyContin for the pain. I had a guy I taught with who had back pain and those pills were his downfall. Started there. Chewed them for the pain. Sucked on them liked altoids. Dr shopped. Got cut off. Started self medicating and it blew into a full blown heroin addiction. No shirt. Beautiful wife. 3 kids. College degree. Life by the balls. Now I believe he’s laying to waste in some prison.

Ok so I was very very very wary of these things and I took one pill a couple of years ago after the nasal surgery and I was so afraid of them they made me physically sick. So my wife says my pain pills are percocetts. She picked them at pharmacy afterthought surgery. Month supply for 4.50. Packages says 1 to 2 every four hours for pain. Last Friday I was in some real pain. So I broke down and had 1. Man bingo wingo. Within 15 minutes my arm was out of the sling and I was doing the pendulum exercises on the sheet. Saturday I busted 2 down in one four hour period. Just felt great on these things. Sunday funday the same deal. I went back to work on Friday btw that’s why I took the first pill. I hate to miss work. Just the way I was raised. Now today. I grab the bottle.

Look at the bottom to see what the generic name for what I was taking.......

Oxy fcking Contin.............

One it sent shivers down my spine...... isn’t that something since I thought I was taking a minor thing I went at it like Axl Rose when LA guns was first hitting the scene.

I can TOTALLY understand how one can get hooked on these things........

If I were in a pain management life long scenario. I get it. I totally get it.
01-22-2018 10:35 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

gdunn Offline
Repping E-Gang Colors

I Root For: Southern Miss

Survivor Champion
RE: So personal story that really opened my eyes.
First off sorry to hear you had surgery Mach. But glad you're on the mend.

I too understand your concern with taking the meds. Addiction runs strong in my family, and depending on who you listen to it's a genetic thing. I'm not sure but definitely don't want to find out.

Be careful with those things if you're concerned about getting addicted. Hope you mend up and get to feeling better bud.
01-22-2018 10:45 PM
Claw Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Memphis
My wife's migraines took her there. Doc put her in the hospital for a while. She didn't even understand what was really going on.

Heal up Mach.
01-22-2018 10:56 PM
Machiavelli Offline

It’s just weird how the brain works. When I first tried them a couple of years back my brain made me ill from taking it. I thought to myself. No way I’ll ever get addicted to these because they scared the **** out of me, but when I thought the were just jv pain killers I had no problems.

The brain is something else. From what I’ve read OxyContin is just heroin in a orange bottle. Heroin scares the crap out of me. However, if I was in pain and that orange bottle took away the pain. I get it. The opioid addiction. You just can’t walk through the door. Do you guys get what I am saying?
01-22-2018 10:57 PM
bullet Offline
Legend

I Root For: Texas, UK, UGA
(01-22-2018 10:35 PM)Machiavelli Wrote:  Last Wednesday I had shoulder surgery. Reattached Labrum, trimmed cartilage to unwrinkle the glenoid cavity, and shaved the numerous head to get rid of bone spurs. Dr said I have an excellent prognosis and I should see a drastic uptick in my quality of life in about 6 weeks. I had a tear in the supraspinatus (part of the rotator cuff) but he didn’t get into it and thinks the main problem was the impingement of the caracoid joint. Ok blah blah but I know we have some medical guys here and I wanted to explain.

So here’s where this gets interesting. A couple of years back I had nasal surgery for a deviated septum. I was prescribed OxyContin for the pain. I had a guy I taught with who had back pain and those pills were his downfall. Started there. Chewed them for the pain. Sucked on them liked altoids. Dr shopped. Got cut off. Started self medicating and it blew into a full blown heroin addiction. No shirt. Beautiful wife. 3 kids. College degree. Life by the balls. Now I believe he’s laying to waste in some prison.

Ok so I was very very very wary of these things and I took one pill a couple of years ago after the nasal surgery and I was so afraid of them they made me physically sick. So my wife says my pain pills are percocetts. She picked them at pharmacy afterthought surgery. Month supply for 4.50. Packages says 1 to 2 every four hours for pain. Last Friday I was in some real pain. So I broke down and had 1. Man bingo wingo. Within 15 minutes my arm was out of the sling and I was doing the pendulum exercises on the sheet. Saturday I busted 2 down in one four hour period. Just felt great on these things. Sunday funday the same deal. I went back to work on Friday btw that’s why I took the first pill. I hate to miss work. Just the way I was raised. Now today. I grab the bottle.

One it sent shivers down my spine...... isn’t that something since I thought I was taking a minor thing I went at it like Axl Rose when LA guns was first hitting the scene.

My wife and I both had shoulder problems at the same time about 4 years back, her right and my left. We discovered that most people over 50 have shoulder problems. It seemed like everyone we talked to. I had a damaged shoulder and partially torn muscle. We weren't sure whether it was simple wear and tear with age or whether a fall(s) had done it. I got by with a cortisone shot and therapy. I think I had some version of Oxycotin, but the cortisone took care of most of the pain so I only took it 3 or 4 days (and my wife was telling me every day I shouldn't take it very long).
01-22-2018 11:00 PM
Machiavelli Offline

When you are on these things. You do really feel good. I’m narcotic naive. Most I ever did was smoke a bong back in sophomore year of college. Never ever ever did anything other that that. The guilt from Marajuana was killer. My Dad did a great job developing my super ego. I always have had a guilt complex.

Just sayin. My eyes have been opened.
01-22-2018 11:03 PM
Advertisement

ericsrevenge76 Online
Jesus is coming soon

I Root For: The Kingdom
(01-22-2018 10:35 PM)Machiavelli Wrote:  Last Wednesday I had shoulder surgery. Reattached Labrum, trimmed cartilage to unwrinkle the glenoid cavity, and shaved the numerous head to get rid of bone spurs. Dr said I have an excellent prognosis and I should see a drastic uptick in my quality of life in about 6 weeks. I had a tear in the supraspinatus (part of the rotator cuff) but he didn’t get into it and thinks the main problem was the impingement of the caracoid joint. Ok blah blah but I know we have some medical guys here and I wanted to explain.

I had a few serious surgeries the last 10 years.

The oxycontin feels great for the first several days, but it doesn't last and your dependence on them does. It very rapidly goes from something that really helps to an addict style "fix".

Luckily I never developed a problem with them, and never did them outside of actual post surgery prescriptions. The second half of the prescription always felt like I was entering the "fix" stage.
(This post was last modified: 01-22-2018 11:18 PM by ericsrevenge76.)
01-22-2018 11:17 PM
Machiavelli Offline

I just looked up the difference between percocetts and OxyContin. Percocetts have an anti inflammatory in them too. Basically the same stuff. Absolutely crazy how the mind works.
01-22-2018 11:22 PM
Dasville Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UofL
Addicts are just trying to feel normal. Homeostasis has been adjusted. Not about being high as a kite. Just trying to keep from dropping through the floor.
01-22-2018 11:33 PM
stinkfist Online
nuts zongo's in the house

I Root For: Mustard Buzzards
I did oxycontin once......never again.....

oxycodone (percs) was my request when req'd......hydrocodone wasn't as effective for me....

the bottom line Mach.....when you drink and dose, it'll take you to another level of a place you DO NOT WANT TO VISIT....

if you dose for a couple of weeks daily, you'll begin to feel the 'addictive need'.....not only that, taking a dump can become a serious issue.....

I won't go into more detail......just know I know certain thingys.....be very fk'n careful with that crap.....

that shite WILL FK'N KILL YOU!!!
01-23-2018 01:35 AM
stinkfist Online
nuts zongo's in the house

I Root For: Mustard Buzzards
(01-22-2018 11:00 PM)bullet Wrote:  

My wife and I both had shoulder problems at the same time about 4 years back, her right and my left. We discovered that most people over 50 have shoulder problems. It seemed like everyone we talked to. I had a damaged shoulder and partially torn muscle. We weren't sure whether it was simple wear and tear with age or whether a fall(s) had done it. I got by with a cortisone shot and therapy. I think I had some version of Oxycotin, but the cortisone took care of most of the pain so I only took it 3 or 4 days (and my wife was telling me every day I shouldn't take it very long).

steroids work.....
01-23-2018 01:42 AM
Advertisement

Attackcoog Offline

I Root For: Houston
Hope you start feeling better Mach.
(This post was last modified: 01-23-2018 02:26 AM by Attackcoog.)
01-23-2018 02:24 AM
miko33 Offline
Defender of Honesty and Integrity

I Root For: Alma Mater
I never had oxycotin, but did have oxycodone and hydrocodone. To me, neither had any major effect aside from reducing pain. Basically, the both felt like taking acetaminophen. The first few times I took them I had a little bit of a disconnected feeling and drowsiness. That was years ago. Now if I'm prescribed them I don't feel those side effects anymore. Normally, I take no more than 2 or 3 out of 30 based on last experience. Haven't been prescribed any for years.

Naproxen 500 mg - by a wide margin - is my preferred method to manage pain. It's a NAISD, so it's not in the same ballpark as the opiod painkillers.
01-23-2018 08:03 AM
shere khan Offline
Southerner

I Root For: Tulane
I avoid opiods at all costs because the few very controlled times I have had to take them I loved them. It's like playing with fire. I have the utmost sympathy for those that get into trouble with them.
01-23-2018 08:51 AM
EverRespect Offline
Free Kaplony

I Root For: ODU
If you take them as perscribed, you will be fine. Abuse is the precursor to addiction. I probably get them 1-2 times per year for various reasons (root canal, tooth extraction, cough syrup with codiene, back spasms). Never had a problem. If you are grabbing the bottle because you are actually in pain, that is what they are there for. If you are grabbing it because you want to zone out and disengage, then maybe you might want to talk to someone. Only you can know.
01-23-2018 09:10 AM
EverRespect Offline
Free Kaplony

I Root For: ODU
(01-23-2018 08:03 AM)miko33 Wrote:  I never had oxycotin, but did have oxycodone and hydrocodone. To me, neither had any major effect aside from reducing pain. Basically, the both felt like taking acetaminophen. The first few times I took them I had a little bit of a disconnected feeling and drowsiness. That was years ago. Now if I'm prescribed them I don't feel those side effects anymore. Normally, I take no more than 2 or 3 out of 30 based on last experience. Haven't been prescribed any for years.

Naproxen 500 mg - by a wide margin - is my preferred method to manage pain. It's a NAISD, so it's not in the same ballpark as the opiod painkillers.

Oxycodone is Oxycontin. I have never had a bottle that said Oxycontin either. Was curious and looked it up and they are the same thing.
01-23-2018 09:14 AM
Advertisement

Crebman Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
(01-23-2018 01:35 AM)stinkfist Wrote:  I did oxycontin once......never again.....

oxycodone (percs) was my request when req'd......hydrocodone wasn't as effective for me....

the bottom line Mach.....when you drink and dose, it'll take you to another level of a place you DO NOT WANT TO VISIT....

if you dose for a couple of weeks daily, you'll begin to feel the 'addictive need'.....not only that, taking a dump can become a serious issue.....

I won't go into more detail......just know I know certain thingys.....be very fk'n careful with that crap.....

that shite WILL FK'N KILL YOU!!!

I've been prescribed them a few times for post surgery, dental stuff, etc. I probably am somewhat lucky in that whenever I take more than 1 or 2 in total - I become constipated to the point that's it's like 4 days stopped up until that stuff gets out of my system.

Last time I had hernia surgery, I took a couple of days worth (not more than prescribed) and wound up almost a week without being able to successfully dump. What a most uncomfortable feeling that was........ It has made me have to be in absolute awful pain before I'll take one... nothing worse than the plumbing being backed up for days..........
01-23-2018 11:40 AM
arkstfan Away
Sorry folks

I Root For: Fresh Starts
My wife takes regular doses of hydrocodone and after one of her surgeries she was prescribed Oxy. Two days after surgery I see her hobbling to the bathroom and go to help her and she has the Oxy bottle in her hand, dumps it in the toilet and flushes it. I asked her why and she said, it doesn't help the pain it just effs you up (OK she cusses quite a bit as former newspaper editor) I don't want that **** around.

But hey it's all good because when we started deregulating business we let the drug companies do the testing and just trust its done right. Did you know only 1% of Oxy users get addicted. They've got studies to prove it.
01-23-2018 11:52 AM
Dasville Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UofL
(01-23-2018 11:52 AM)arkstfan Wrote:  My wife takes regular doses of hydrocodone and after one of her surgeries she was prescribed Oxy. Two days after surgery I see her hobbling to the bathroom and go to help her and she has the Oxy bottle in her hand, dumps it in the toilet and flushes it. I asked her why and she said, it doesn't help the pain it just effs you up (OK she cusses quite a bit as former newspaper editor) I don't want that **** around.

But hey it's all good because when we started deregulating business we let the drug companies do the testing and just trust its done right. Did you know only 1% of Oxy users get addicted. They've got studies to prove it.

Ever seen any water studies?
01-23-2018 11:54 AM
BatonRougeEscapee Offline
1st String

I Root For: GEAUX TIGERS &
(01-23-2018 09:14 AM)EverRespect Wrote:  Oxycodone is Oxycontin. I have never had a bottle that said Oxycontin either. Was curious and looked it up and they are the same thing.

Yes and no. OxyContin is oxycodone but it is an extended release preparation to be taken every 12 hours.

Most oxycodone is NOT OxyContin. The oxycodone in Percocet or hydrocodone in Vicodin is immediate release and can safely taken every four hours.
(This post was last modified: 01-23-2018 11:56 AM by BatonRougeEscapee.)
01-23-2018 11:55 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.