Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Draft prospect or FA prioritizing family milestones over availability
Erictelevision Offline
All American

I Root For: Uconn hoops
Draft prospect or FA prioritizing family milestones over availability
Put yourself in a GM's shoes: How would you feel if a draft prospect or FA told you: "My (future) wife an I believe that babies should be born when they're ready. As such we won't induce just to avoid missing games."
(This post was last modified: 01-18-2018 05:29 PM by Erictelevision.)
01-18-2018 05:29 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Brookes Owl Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Rice Owls
The Parliament AwardsCrappiesDonators
RE: Draft prospect or FA prioritizing family milestones over availability
Is this a thing? Are there GMs and/or coaches asking players to have their wives induce labor? I'd hate to think so. You could ask the question in reverse: what if you were an athlete and your team asked you to convince your wife to induce?
01-18-2018 09:06 PM
Erictelevision Offline
All American

It's DEFINITELY expected that players prioritize being available for games.
01-18-2018 11:44 PM
Brookes Owl Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Rice Owls
The Parliament AwardsCrappiesDonators
Expected? That seems far fetched? I can remember a couple of examples, but I can think of MANY more times a pro athlete missed a game (or more) because of a child being born.
01-19-2018 12:16 AM
Advertisement

Erictelevision Offline
All American

It seems that football players are more apt to induce births. That could easily be confirmation bias.
01-19-2018 12:37 AM
goofus Offline
All American

I Root For: Iowa
Its not just athletes. Doctors and parents are inducing lots of births today just for the sake of convenience. Both my kids, now ages 4 and 1, were induced on a Tuesday, beginning the induction in the morning, and finally giving birth in the evening. The babies stayed in the hospital 2 days and went home Thursday afternoon. No late nights or weekends for the doctor. All the paperwork got done during normal business hours.

It does not always work out, but inducing can normally make it convenient for everybody involved.
01-20-2018 11:13 AM
Lush Online
go to hell and get a job

I Root For: the user
we took hynobirthing classes for our first one. man, it's pretty eye opening what bad advice is out there. it's common for a doctor to have "inducing tuesday.'' come on ma'am. lots of beautiful babies to deliver so be a sport ma'am and induce. we'll go to freds and have taco's afterwards. but that does count as one of your hospital provided meals. oh that's right you can't leave the hospital for a few days. shucks. and the special's only on tuesday. double shucks. and it's dine in only.. aww. so how bout that inducing?

i love when fans sh!t on a player for taking more than one game off after the birth of the child. even company employees have to use vacation time. i'm not saying our moral as a country is misguided, it just could be a tad more european. why do you think europeans have such refined tastes? because they have the time to enjoy sh!t. we only give a f*ck about promotion.

why the rush brother?

i'm not anti promotion. i just let it come of its own accord. by god there's a powerful force behind my name and i'll stand by every word i've ever said especially when i'm wrong

the japanese from the little that i know, seem to weave work and non work harmoniously, which i don't understand.

i love the philosophy of doing what you love and you'll never work a day. it just invariably eats you alive, which i suppose is all you're after anyway

here i go talking away again. solid thread television. i'd wager letting the broads yonder at the spin room dry hump this piece of meat
01-20-2018 12:15 PM
EvanJ Offline
1st String

I Root For: Hofstra and FSU
(01-19-2018 12:37 AM)Erictelevision Wrote:  It seems that football players are more apt to induce births. That could easily be confirmation bias.
Football players play once a week. As a percent of the season, an NFL player missing 1 out of 16 games is like an MLB player missing 10.125 games. The NFL also has way more players than the other professional leagues, so NFL players could miss games at half the rate of MLB players and still have more players miss games.
01-24-2018 11:20 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.