Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

AAC NCAA bid status
Bookmark and Share
rath v2.0 Offline
Wartime Consigliere

I Root For: Civil Disobedience

Donators
AAC NCAA bid status
Things are shaking out for the postseason earlier than normal in the AAC largely due to lackluster early season play.

UC & Wichita are obviously good to go.

Houston looks to be in decent shape but still has work to do.

SMU probably has very little room for error if they lose their 4th in a row tonight at Wichita.

UCF is NIT bound.

UCONN, Temple, Memphis and Tulsa are playing to earn a NIT bid.

Tulane is likely CBI or whatever that thing is called.

Still looks like 2-4 bids and the NIT could be the AAC invitational this year.

(This post was last modified: 01-17-2018 09:33 AM by rath v2.0.)
01-17-2018 09:27 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

CliftonAve Online
Heisman

I Root For: Jimmy Nippert
RE: AAC NCAA bid status
I don't see UConn making the NIT field this year. They now have 8 losses on the season and looking ahead I see at least 6 more (Nova, SMU, UC x2, Wichita, @Houston and one of two games versus Temple). They'll likely drop another one or two beyond that and probably even more since Ollie is basically dead man walking.

01-17-2018 09:32 AM
BcatMatt13 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: The Bearcats
(01-17-2018 09:27 AM)rath v2.0 Wrote:  Things are shaking out for the postseason earlier than normal in the AAC largely due to lackluster early season play.

UC & Wichita are obviously good to go.

Houston looks to be in decent shape but still has work to do.

SMU probably has very little room for error if they lose their 4th in a row tonight at Wichita.

UCF is NIT bound.

UCONN, Temple, Memphis and Tulsa are playing to earn a NIT bid.

Still looks like 2-4 bids and the NIT could be the AAC invitational this year.

Imagine if Wichita was still in The Valley.

I think Houston will win enough to get in. SMU will have to avoid bad losses and beat UC/Wichita (or perhaps both). Don't see anyone else with much of a shot outside of craziness in Orlando.

01-17-2018 09:33 AM
rath v2.0 Offline
Wartime Consigliere

Donators
I’m going to miss the Come On Man! look as he walks out onto the court during the games.

01-17-2018 09:35 AM
rath v2.0 Offline
Wartime Consigliere

Donators
Going to watch Wichita SMU tonight. 1st time to watch the shockers and I’m still not sure how good or bad SMU is. Unless they find a way to score in the paint they are toast.

(This post was last modified: 01-17-2018 09:40 AM by rath v2.0.)
01-17-2018 09:39 AM
CliftonAve Online
Heisman

(01-17-2018 09:35 AM)rath v2.0 Wrote:  I’m going to miss the Come On Man! look as he walks out onto the court during the games.

I hear you. I am really torn, because I love the fact we have been dominating them of late, but at the same time it is best for UC for UConn to be good so that they have that extra data point to look good on the schedule.

They'll have no shortage of candidates for the job. One name that sticks out to me will be Dan Hurley (Bobby's brother) who is coaching at Rhode Island. If he gets that job UC and UConn games will be all out slugfests again.

01-17-2018 09:41 AM
Advertisement

BearcatMan Online
Kicking Connoisseur/Occasional Man Crush

I Root For: Cincinnati
(01-17-2018 09:35 AM)rath v2.0 Wrote:  I’m going to miss the Come On Man! look as he walks out onto the court during the games.

To me, it always seemed like he looked like he caught a whiff of his assistant coach with irritable bowel syndrome's dinner last night.

01-17-2018 09:48 AM
BearcatMan Online
Kicking Connoisseur/Occasional Man Crush

I'm also beginning to think the UConn was maybe a coach (and a particularly heavy duffel bag) instead of a program.

01-17-2018 09:51 AM
Billy_Bearcat Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UC Bearcats
Donators
(01-17-2018 09:51 AM)BearcatMan Wrote:  I'm also beginning to think the UConn was maybe a coach (and a particularly heavy duffel bag) instead of a program.

Two words:
Jesus Shuttlesworth

01-17-2018 10:06 AM
Bearcat2012 Offline
All American

I Root For: Cincy Bearcats
The only thing I know for sure in this conference is that UC and Wichita are really really good and USF and ECU are really really bad.

I dont know what to make of the teams in between . Is Memphis really 4-2 good? , probably not . Is Temple really 1-5 bad? , probably not . Houston seems to have stepped into the #3 role for now at 4-1 but their 4 wins are ECU and USF on the road and Tulsa and Tulane at home and when they played WSU they got wiped off the floor. So who knows.

In the end UC and WSU will be in . One or both or neither of Houston or SMU will be in play . Everyone else will have to get unrealistically hot to have a shot.

01-17-2018 10:11 AM
nachoman91 Offline
All American

I Root For: UC Bearcats
My prediction is this is a two bid league.

01-17-2018 10:18 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

OKIcat Offline
Heisman

(01-17-2018 10:11 AM)Bearcat2012 Wrote:  The only thing I know for sure in this conference is that UC and Wichita are really really good and USF and ECU are really really bad.

I dont know what to make of the teams in between . Is Memphis really 4-2 good? , probably not . Is Temple really 1-5 bad? , probably not . Houston seems to have stepped into the #3 role for now at 4-1 but their 4 wins are ECU and USF on the road and Tulsa and Tulane at home and when they played WSU they got wiped off the floor. So who knows.

In the end UC and WSU will be in . One or both or neither of Houston or SMU will be in play . Everyone else will have to get unrealistically hot to have a shot.

Good summary of the AAC. Long way to go but I think Houston is deserving of a bid at this point. Yes, they got manhandled at WSU. So did X at Villanova. if Houston takes care of business against the rest of the AAC they should be fine. And now I'm wondering if Tubby may whip Memphis into shape for a bid by season's end?

01-17-2018 10:19 AM
BcatMatt13 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: The Bearcats
(01-17-2018 10:11 AM)Bearcat2012 Wrote:  The only thing I know for sure in this conference is that UC and Wichita are really really good and USF and ECU are really really bad.

Only other chance (huge long shot) is for UCF if they go on a tear with Taylor and win here and beat Wichita. At that point would have a strong case with the injury causing their best player to miss half the season.

01-17-2018 10:21 AM
cinbinsportsfan Offline
Heisman

Agree that it looks like UC and Wichita State are pretty much in, pending a catastrophic collapse by either program. Houston and SMU look to be on the cusp pending how many 1st quadrant wins they can pile up between now and Selection Sunday.

Frankly, the AAC should be a 4/5-bid league year in and year out with an additional bid or two depending if Houston/Temple/UCF have good seasons. The fact that UConn and Memphis aren't living up to their very reachable potential is extremely detrimental to this league. They really need to get their acts together.

01-17-2018 10:21 AM
UCGrad1992 Offline
Legend

I Root For: Bearcats U
Here's my take at this juncture:

Cincinnati and WSU are locks for bids.

Unless Houston goes in the toilet they should get a bid. Right now Palm projects them as a 10 seed and Lunardi as a play-in 11 seed. The get another crack at WSU at home and play us twice. If they win any of those three that will further cement their case.

UCF, Memphis and SMU have a long shot for an at-large with UCF looking the best of those three with a healthy BJ Taylor returning. If they can get on a roll the NCAA selection committee may give them strong consideration (all else being equal) knowing they were without one of their best players for half of their games. With Tacko they are such a defensive force that will help keep them in games.

I think Memphis is a wildcard as they have won 4 straight after dropping their first two conference games. Their version of Tubby is getting the team to respond for now. They host WSU and us at home yet.

SMU is on dangerously thin ice and they need to get on a roll otherwise they are toast. I'm curious how they play at WSU tonight since their backs are essentially against the wall.

All of these three still have work to do no doubt but there's still a shot for them IMO.

Everybody else NIT, CIT, CBI or stay home.

01-17-2018 10:23 AM
doss2 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: BEARCATS
UConn should see if Geno would take the job.

01-17-2018 10:30 AM
Advertisement

CliftonAve Online
Heisman

(01-17-2018 10:06 AM)Billy_Bearcat Wrote:  
(01-17-2018 09:51 AM)BearcatMan Wrote:  I'm also beginning to think the UConn was maybe a coach (and a particularly heavy duffel bag) instead of a program.

Two words:
Jesus Shuttlesworth

Allen definitely was an all-time great player for them, but they were pretty solid a few years before he arrived in Storrs. I can remember Donyell Marshall, Scott Burrell and Donny Marshall (no relation to the first guy) tearing it up before he arrived. They didn't win any NC's but they went to a FF if I recall pre Allen.

There's no secret to the Calhoun legacy: he cheated like hell to get guys into his program and retain them. He had to do that to compete with Syracuse, Georgetown, St. John's and the rest in the 1990s for the elite east coast talent, and continued to do it in the 2000s when the football schools became the flag bearers in basketball.

UConn will get a better coach next year, but I don't know if they'll ever return to their 1990-2014 glory. There's just too much competition in the east for recruits and other programs have more to sell to the best out of NY, NJ, Philly and DC.

Mick did the right thing when he changed his recruiting strategy post-Big East. He started looking south (NC, GA, VA) and southwest (LA, TX) for the bulk of our players/recruits (admittingly, we have pulled a guy or two out of Philly and NY). We just can't compete with the Big East and ACC for the best NYC kids given all the exposure those conferences get in their backyard. I imagine its much more difficult due to geography for UConn to get a bunch of recruits to come in from below the Mason-Dixon.

01-17-2018 10:33 AM
Bearcat2012 Offline
All American

I Root For: Cincy Bearcats
(01-17-2018 10:23 AM)UCGrad1992 Wrote:  Here's my take at this juncture:

Cincinnati and WSU are locks for bids.

Unless Houston goes in the toilet they should get a bid. Right now Palm projects them as a 10 seed and Lunardi as a play-in 11 seed. The get another crack at WSU at home and play us twice. If they win any of those three that will further cement their case.

UCF, Memphis and SMU have a long shot for an at-large with UCF looking the best of those three with a healthy BJ Taylor returning. If they can get on a roll the NCAA selection committee may give them strong consideration (all else being equal) knowing they were without one of their best players for half of their games. With Tacko they are such a defensive force that will help keep them in games.

I think Memphis is a wildcard as they have won 4 straight after dropping their first two conference games. Their version of Tubby is getting the team to respond for now. They host WSU and us at home yet.

SMU is on dangerously thin ice and they need to get on a roll otherwise they are toast. I'm curious how they play at WSU tonight since their backs are essentially against the wall.

All of these three still have work to do no doubt but there's still a shot for them IMO.

Everybody else NIT, CIT, CBI or stay home.

Memphis got a gift from the AAC scheduling. They get Wichita , SMU and Houston only once each . So if Tubby really has them bought in they could run up a nice conference record.

01-17-2018 10:34 AM
robertfoshizzle Offline
Heisman

This league has been so disappointing. UConn and Temple need to fire their coaches at the end of the year and start over. Frank Haith sucks too for that matter. And Jankovich needs to learn how to recruit big men. It's hard to win if you have one guy over 6'6" in your rotation. I like what Dawkins and Dunleavy are doing though. It's hard to blame UCF considering they've been without their best player most of the year.

01-17-2018 10:39 AM
robertfoshizzle Offline
Heisman

For UCF, I forgot to mention the loss of Aubrey Dawkins, who would probably be their 3rd option on offense. If UCF had Taylor and Dawkins the whole year, they would be an NCAA team. They lost a couple close ones in the non-conference that probably would have gone their way had they been whole.

01-17-2018 10:43 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.