Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Andy Katz: Cincinnati/Wichita State New Rivalry; Could Be One of the Best in Sports
Bookmark and Share
CliftonAve Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Jimmy Nippert
Andy Katz: Cincinnati/Wichita State New Rivalry; Could Be One of the Best in Sports
"Best conference race

Wichita State/Cincinnati for the American

Circle these two dates: Feb. 18 at Cincinnati, 4 p.m., ET, ESPN; March 4 at Wichita State, 12 p.m., ET, CBS.
This is the new rivalry in the AAC and it could end up being one of the best in the sport. Intense"

http://www.ncaa.com/news/basketball-men/...eason-mark

(This post was last modified: 01-12-2018 11:10 AM by CliftonAve.)
01-12-2018 11:10 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

CliftonAve Offline
Heisman

RE: Andy Katz: Cincinnati/Wichita State New Rivalry; Could Be One of the Best in Sports
Its certainly looks like the two schools will vie for the AAC crown-- and it will likely be that way for the ensuing future as long as we are in the AAC.

I'm not so sure about calling it one of the best rivalries in sports though. We'll have to let that play out first. We haven't played them in a long time, there's no nature hatred there with the exception with people on internet message boards (a very small portion of either fan base).

01-12-2018 11:12 AM
BearcatMan Offline
Kicking Connoisseur/Occasional Man Crush

I Root For: Cincinnati
RE: Andy Katz: Cincinnati/Wichita State New Rivalry; Could Be One of the Best in Sports
(01-12-2018 11:12 AM)CliftonAve Wrote:  Its certainly looks like the two schools will vie for the AAC crown-- and it will likely be that way for the ensuing future as long as we are in the AAC.

I'm not so sure about calling it one of the best rivalries in sports though. We'll have to let that play out first. We haven't played them in a long time, there's no nature hatred there with the exception with people on internet message boards (a very small portion of either fan base).

It's a rivarly in the same way our games against SMU or UConn were. Always heated due to the stakes, but never a passion/hatred for the rivalry/opponent themselves.

01-12-2018 11:26 AM
@ES Trader Offline
1st String

I Root For: UC
(01-12-2018 11:26 AM)BearcatMan Wrote:  
(01-12-2018 11:12 AM)CliftonAve Wrote:  Its certainly looks like the two schools will vie for the AAC crown-- and it will likely be that way for the ensuing future as long as we are in the AAC.

It's a rivarly in the same way our games against SMU or UConn were. Always heated due to the stakes, but never a passion/hatred for the rivalry/opponent themselves.
tell that to ryan boatrights mom

01-12-2018 12:12 PM
QSECOFR Offline
Heisman

I Root For: CCM
Hype! Promoting upcoming CBS broadcasts. Also gets ACC/B10/SEC/Pac12/B12 people going to their website to complain -- more eyes on ads.

01-12-2018 12:19 PM
GoCats1994 Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Bearcats

I agree 100%. It's one of the things that is frustrating as schools move conferences over the years...rivalries are dulled/lost.

Rivalries I have appreciated since I have been paying attention to UC BBall... Xavier, Louisville, Memphis State (not a misprint), UNC Charlotte (Diego blowing kisses still makes me want to throw something at my TV)

UCONN and Syracuse were nice while they lasted

I would be in favor of bringing the Metro Conference. Imagine a league that had...UC, UofL, Florida State, Georgia Tech, Virginia Tech, South Carolina, Memphis, Southern Miss, UNC Charlotte, St Louis, Tulane, USF, VCU.

If only that conference had leaders with vision...

01-12-2018 12:43 PM
Advertisement

vabearcat Offline
All American

I Root For:
(01-12-2018 12:43 PM)GoCats1994 Wrote:  

I agree 100%. It's one of the things that is frustrating as schools move conferences over the years...rivalries are dulled/lost.

Rivalries I have appreciated since I have been paying attention to UC BBall... Xavier, Louisville, Memphis State (not a misprint), UNC Charlotte (Diego blowing kisses still makes me want to throw something at my TV)

I would be in favor of bringing the Metro Conference. Imagine a league that had...UC, UofL, Florida State, Georgia Tech, Virginia Tech, South Carolina, Memphis, Southern Miss, UNC Charlotte, St Louis, Tulane, USF, VCU.

If only that conference had leaders with vision...

VCU was never part of the Metro while UC was in it. Neither was Charlotte. They both came in later, after UC had departed to start the Great Midwest.

01-12-2018 01:01 PM
CliftonAve Offline
Heisman

The first "Super Conference" was proposed in 1990. It included members of the Metro plus some eastern Independents (many of whom later joined the Big East for football). The teams:

BC, UC, Pitt, Rutgers, Syracuse, Temple, Virginia Tech, WVU

East Carolina, Florida State, Louisville, Memphis, Miami (FL), South Carolina, Southern Miss and Tulane

http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Journ...rence.aspx

(This post was last modified: 01-12-2018 01:10 PM by CliftonAve.)
01-12-2018 01:10 PM
BearcatJerry Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UC Bearcats
I am not ready to call it a "rivalry" yet... But it does have potential. More potential than most, I'd say...

But rivalries develop over years. They are not created.

01-12-2018 01:22 PM
SeniorBearcat Offline
I can eat fifty eggs

I Root For: Binturongs

Donators
(01-12-2018 01:22 PM)BearcatJerry Wrote:  I am not ready to call it a "rivalry" yet... But it does have potential. More potential than most, I'd say...

[Image: 298574.jpeg?width=1440&height=81...;mode=crop]

Oct. 5, 2005

Quote:UC's move into the BIG EAST means that UC and Pitt, who despite being separated by 250 miles have faced each other only four times, will play on a regular basis. Seeking to build this into a rivalry, the athletic directors of the two schools, Bob Goin at Cincinnati and Jeff Long at Pittsburgh, agreed to initiate the River City Rivalry and create an appropriate trophy for the game.

http://gobearcats.com/news/2005/10/5/Bea..._Game.aspx

01-12-2018 03:33 PM
BearcatJerry Online
Hall of Famer

(01-12-2018 03:33 PM)SeniorBearcat Wrote:  
(01-12-2018 01:22 PM)BearcatJerry Wrote:  I am not ready to call it a "rivalry" yet... But it does have potential. More potential than most, I'd say...

Oct. 5, 2005

Quote:UC's move into the BIG EAST means that UC and Pitt, who despite being separated by 250 miles have faced each other only four times, will play on a regular basis. Seeking to build this into a rivalry, the athletic directors of the two schools, Bob Goin at Cincinnati and Jeff Long at Pittsburgh, agreed to initiate the River City Rivalry and create an appropriate trophy for the game.

That had potential as well... But it never really attained "rivalry" status. Helluva game, but not a true rivalry.

01-12-2018 03:53 PM
Advertisement

robertfoshizzle Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Cincinnati
(01-12-2018 11:26 AM)BearcatMan Wrote:  

You hang out on the AAC board and you don't hate Wichita State yet?

(This post was last modified: 01-12-2018 03:55 PM by robertfoshizzle.)
01-12-2018 03:54 PM
Bearcatbdub Offline
Heisman

I Root For: The 'Cats! duh!
(01-12-2018 03:53 PM)BearcatJerry Wrote:  

Oct. 5, 2005

That had potential as well... But it never really attained "rivalry" status. Helluva game, but not a true rivalry.

The trophy is weird and cool. Did we win the last matchup? I can’t remember.

01-12-2018 04:02 PM
levydl Offline
All American

I Root For:
(01-12-2018 12:43 PM)GoCats1994 Wrote:  I agree 100%. It's one of the things that is frustrating as schools move conferences over the years...rivalries are dulled/lost.

You mention Charlotte. UC had never played them before they both joined CUSA in the mid-90s. But it became a nice rivalry pretty quickly, and Charlotte was never even close to as good as Wichita is this year. So it won't be like the Crosstown Shootout or playing UofL, but I imagine UC-WSU will get heated fast.

01-12-2018 04:09 PM
jarr Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Not "Not Duane"
(01-12-2018 04:02 PM)Bearcatbdub Wrote:  

Oct. 5, 2005

I remember that trophy. Always seemed kind of lame and sort of forced. Just seemed awkward or something.

01-12-2018 04:15 PM
BearcatJerry Online
Hall of Famer

(01-12-2018 04:02 PM)Bearcatbdub Wrote:  

Oct. 5, 2005

Yes.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/River_City_Rivalry

01-12-2018 04:18 PM
Advertisement

Recluse1 Offline
1st String

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/No_true_Scotsman

Although, the fact we have to harken back to when we were in the same conference as WSU is kind of sad.
I'm just going to enjoy the games for what they are, as opposed to trying to divine whatever the hell a "true rivalry" is supposed to be out of farts in the wind.

01-12-2018 04:20 PM
BearcatJerry Online
Hall of Famer

(01-12-2018 04:20 PM)Recluse1 Wrote:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/No_true_Scotsman

Although, the fact we have to harken back to when we were in the same conference as WSU is kind of sad.
I'm just going to enjoy the games for what they are, as opposed to trying to divine whatever the hell a "true rivalry" is supposed to be out of farts in the wind.

Look... I'm not trying to engage in the "True Scotsman" fallacy or reasoning here. You can play another team...for a long time and consistently...and not have it ever turn into a rivalry. And they can be really good games. But that doesn't mean that they have to be rivalries.

Part of the use of the word "True" here is that we throw the word "rivalry" around liberally. So you could say, "Well, look, it says in the very title 'The River Cities Rivalry.'" But that doesn't actually make it a rivalry. Likewise, Andy Katz can say "This is the start of a whole new rivalry!" but only time will tell whether it is or not.

It's got potential. That's about all we can say at this moment.

And, it should be a heckuva game. I'm looking forward to it.

01-12-2018 04:29 PM
Recluse1 Offline
1st String

(01-12-2018 04:29 PM)BearcatJerry Wrote:  
(01-12-2018 04:20 PM)Recluse1 Wrote:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/No_true_Scotsman

Look... I'm not trying to engage in the "True Scotsman" fallacy or reasoning here. You can play another team...for a long time and consistently...and not have it ever turn into a rivalry. And they can be really good games. But that doesn't mean that they have to be rivalries.

Part of the use of the word "True" here is that we throw the word "rivalry" around liberally. So you could say, "Well, look, it says in the very title 'The River Cities Rivalry.'" But that doesn't actually make it a rivalry. Likewise, Andy Katz can say "This is the start of a whole new rivalry!" but only time will tell whether it is or not.

It's got potential. That's about all we can say at this moment.

And, it should be a heckuva game. I'm looking forward to it.

Not directed at you or anyone specific, I just hate things that are supposed to be self evident. If I can't have some discernable criteria upon which a claim is to be determined as true or false... mentally, it's like nails on a chalkboard.
I think it'll be a positive for us and maybe the conference. Although I have a harder time getting excited about the conference as a whole.

01-12-2018 04:39 PM
Cat-Man Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
In the AAC, it seems like the rivalry has changed each year with it always being UC vs (insert name here). Last year the SMU games were intense. The UC-UCONN OT game a couple years back. UC-UofL battling it out for the conference the first 2 years. Hopefully UC-WSU will morph into something special.

01-12-2018 06:30 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.