GoodOwl Offline
The 1 Hoo Knocks

I Root For: New Horizons
Owls 3-0 vs Bama; Maybe Owls should get to play the Dawgs, too
saw these stories on how aggressive Owls can be towards Dawgs:

Pet dog killed in owl attack, family says

By: Ellen Eldridge, The Atlanta Journal-Constitution
8:55 p.m Tuesday, Jan. 9, 2018 Atlanta News

A family is devastated after an owl killed their pet dog, a Yorkie named Freedom, Channel 2 Action News reported.

“There were puncture wounds all over his back and his chest and it was an owl attack,” Serrita Holt said.

The McDonough-based family told the news station they’ve seen all manner of wildlife but never expected to lose their 5-year-old furry family member this way.
[Image: yorkie.JPG]
A Yorkie named Freedom was killed by an owl. (Photo Credit: Channel 2 Action News)

While Adam Betuel with the Atlanta Audubon Society said owls rarely attack small dogs, that’s what the Holt family said they saw on Dec. 23.

"Freedom came running from the driveway area toward my son and the door and it was blood all over him, Serrita Holt told Channel 2.

Despite surgery and medical attention, Freedom died the next day. Everyone was sad, especially the Holts’ third-grade daughter.

“They become part of your family, so it’s so devastating, especially with young children,” Josh Holt said.

A similar attack was reported last week in Cobb County, where a 71-year-old woman was knocked down when an owl swooped for her dog. Fortunately, the woman’s dog survived.

Betuel said young owls that are fighting to survive their first year may be more prone to attack, but a small dog would pose a serious threat to an average 2- to 4-pound owl.

“They’re hungry, they’ve had this cold snap, they’re a young bird and they might make the mistake of going after a pet,” Betuel said.

The Holt family now wants to warn their neighbors to stay vigilant and keep their pets close to them on a leash.

They’ve since added a new Yorkie to their family, named “Liberty.”

Cobb woman, 71, says owl knocked her over and attacked her dog
by: Ben Brasch, The Atlanta Journal-Constitution
5:30 p.m Tuesday, Jan. 2, 2018 Cobb County

[Image: owlattack_566x354.jpg]
(Photo Credit: Channel 2 Action News) A Cobb County woman said an owl attacked one of her dogs.

A Cobb County woman is afraid to let her dogs outside after one was attacked by an owl, she told Channel 2 Action News.

Deborah Johnson said she had let her two dachshunds out Saturday about 10 p.m. when the bird swooped in at Gabe, the larger of the two dogs.

“For a few seconds there, I did not know what was going on,” said Johnson, who lives off Post Oak Tritt Road.

The 71-year-old woman said she tried to get the owl off Gabe.

“As soon as I touched the owl, he got on me,” she told WSB-TV.

Johnson said she was knocked down and tussled with the owl, which she said had grabbed the heel of her shoe. She thinks it went on for 20 seconds before it flew off.

“I was kicking as hard as I could,” Johnson said.

The arm she fell on is sore, but both her dogs are fine, she said. Johnson just wants folks to be mindful of owls.

Don’t underestimate what those animals (Owls) can do with those dogs,” she said.
01-10-2018 09:52 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Seventyniner Offline
1st String

I Root For: Rice
RE: Owls 3-0 vs Bama; Maybe Owls should get to play the Dawgs, too
Play Georgia? Sure, why not if the price is right.

But I want Rice to keep that 3-0 forever so I would duck Alabama.
01-10-2018 12:52 PM
Advertisement

JSA Offline
1st String

I Root For:
(01-10-2018 12:52 PM)Seventyniner Wrote:  Play Georgia? Sure, why not if the price is right.

But I want Rice to keep that 3-0 forever so I would duck Alabama.

We own Georgia, too.

http://www.winsipedia.com/georgia/vs/rice
01-10-2018 01:08 PM
Almadenmike Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Rice Owls

DonatorsNew Orleans BowlDonators
(01-10-2018 01:08 PM)JSA Wrote:  We own Georgia, too.

http://www.winsipedia.com/georgia/vs/rice

From an earlier thread:

(01-10-2018 07:07 PM)Almadenmike Wrote:  
(09-06-2016 10:07 AM)WRCisforgotten79 Wrote:  October 17, 1936. Rice 13, @Georgia 6.

The Thresher barely mentioned this game -- both before or after (and got the score wrong, saying it was 13-7). But the AP story of this game is pretty interesting: https://www.newspapers.com/image/85076901/

Rice was "heralded as an unorthodox Southwestern conference club that might do anything with the ball but barbecue it." But "Rice laid aside its hocus pocus" ... took advantage of "siege gun kicking and long-distance punt returns by Jake Schuehle, husky son of the Hondo, Tex., sheriff" and scored on two short runs (1 foot and 2 yards) by "fullback Friedman."

The Owls were outgained (271-118), had only 8 first downs (to 13 for Georgia) and 4 of its 9 passes were intercepted (only 2 were completed)! (On the positive side, Rice had no penalty yards, compared with 56 for the hometown Bulldogs; a clipping penalty nullified a 94-yard Georgia TD run.)
(This post was last modified: 01-10-2018 08:27 PM by Almadenmike.)
01-10-2018 08:25 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.