Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Bowl payouts for Non CFP bowls
msm96wolf Offline
All American

I Root For:
Bowl payouts for Non CFP bowls
I am old enough to remember when USA Today use to put the payout for bowls in their predictions. Then again, that was before the internet destroyed newspapers. One of the best lists I have seen in a long time. I can't believe Frisco only pays 100K for both teams.

http://www.collegefootballpoll.com/bowl-schedule/
(This post was last modified: 01-05-2018 10:25 PM by msm96wolf.)
01-05-2018 10:24 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

micahandme Offline
2nd String

I Root For: PSU
RE: Bowl payouts for Non CFP bowls
(01-05-2018 10:24 PM)msm96wolf Wrote:  I am old enough to remember when USA Today use to put the payout for bowls in their predictions. Then again, that was before the internet destroyed newspapers. One of the best lists I have seen in a long time. I can't believe Frisco only pays 100K for both teams.

http://www.collegefootballpoll.com/bowl-schedule/

So I counted 30 spots for G5 teams...only a few (maybe 4?) made more than 1 million dollars for the team...most made less than 500k per team. The CFP New Year's Six bowl got UCF 4 mil.

G5 fans...you're saying that you couldn't make "roughly" 35 million (more than your current bowl revenue) to have a 15-game tournament of your top 16 teams...situated perfectly in the post-conference championship game...pre-Christmas window.

Seeing that Memphis got paid over 2 million to play Iowa State (the dregs of the P5) in a no-stakes game, I can't fathom a world where the G5 couldn't get 2 million dollars per team for a playoff...and a lot more for their semifinal and finals.
01-06-2018 06:20 AM
micahandme Offline
2nd String

2017 sample of Football Tournament Championship (taken from AP rankings pre-CCG weekend, since CCGs would be eliminated for G5, they’d get a week to rest/prepare during P5 CCG weekend)

Friday, Dec. 8
#9 FAU (CUSA East) at #8 Troy (Sun Belt #1), 5:30pm
#16 Akron (MAC East) at #1 UCF (AAC East), 7:30pm
#12 Houston (at-large) at #5 SDSU (at-large), 9:30pm

Saturday, Dec. 9
#15 Wyoming (at-large) at #2 Memphis (AAC West), Noon
#14 Ohio 9-4 (at-large) at #3 USF (at-large), 2pm
#10 Army (at-large) at #7 Toledo (MAC West), 4:30pm
#11 Appalachian State (Sun Belt #2) at #6 Boise State (MWC West), 8:30pm
#13 North Texas (CUSA West) at #4 Fresno State (MWC West), 9:30pm (after Heisman Ceremony)

(higher seeds used for this scenario)
Friday, Dec. 15
#8 Troy at #1 UCF 8pm

Saturday, Dec. 16
#7 Toledo at #2 Memphis, 1pm
#6 Boise State at #3 USF, 5pm
#5 SDSU at #4 Fresno St., 8:30pm

Semifinals
Gator Bowl, Wednesdsay, December 27
#4 Fresno State vs. #1 UCF
Alamo Bowl, Wednesday, December 27
#3 USF vs. #2 Memphis

Football Tournament Championship
Friday January 5 at Jerry’s World in Dallas
#2 Memphis vs. #1 UCF
01-06-2018 07:04 AM
micahandme Offline
2nd String

I am not a G5 fan...but I would probably (truthfully) watch as much of these "round of 16" games as I could. It's not "must see" TV for me...but with the games staggered (ala March Madness early rounds), there'd be something to watch all night Friday and all day Saturday. I'd probably end up catching about 30% of all these games total.

Compare that with the 5% of G5 bowl games that I watched this season...and that's a huge spike in viewership...again, begging for a larger money stake for G5.

The quarterfinal games...I would almost call them "can't miss" TV. Remember...they'd be competing against NO ONE on Friday night...and against only TWO NFL games on Saturday night. This is the window where the nation could really get hooked on this G5 playoff.

The semifinal games...they wouldn't compete against any real stout/blockbuster bowl games and would feature the four best G5 teams!!! (Remember, Memphis got 2 million to play Iowa State...so you know TV will pay money to see the best G5 teams.) I'd watch them for sure.

The championship...put it on the Friday night BY ITSELF...before the first weekend of the NFL playoffs and three days before the CFP championship...and it would make HUGE money. Huge...not so much because everyone loves Houston vs. Boise State or UCF vs. Memphis or Western Michigan vs. Temple but because it's a TRUE championship game...and it's football. This is can't miss TV.
01-06-2018 07:15 AM
johnbragg Online
Five Minute Google Expert

I Root For: St Johns
(01-06-2018 07:15 AM)micahandme Wrote:  I am not a G5 fan...but I would probably (truthfully) watch as much of these "round of 16" games as I could. .....

The championship...put it on the Friday night BY ITSELF...before the first weekend of the NFL playoffs and three days before the CFP championship...and it would make HUGE money. Huge...not so much because everyone loves Houston vs. Boise State or UCF vs. Memphis or Western Michigan vs. Temple but because it's a TRUE championship game...and it's football. This is can't miss TV.

What were your favorite moments from the FCS playoffs, then?
01-06-2018 07:51 AM
solohawks Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UNCW
Or even the App v Toledo bowl game?
01-06-2018 08:00 AM
Advertisement

quo vadis Offline
Legend

I Root For: USF/Georgetown
(01-05-2018 10:24 PM)msm96wolf Wrote:  I am old enough to remember when USA Today use to put the payout for bowls in their predictions. Then again, that was before the internet destroyed newspapers. One of the best lists I have seen in a long time. I can't believe Frisco only pays 100K for both teams.

Yep, 50k per school.

Some of these made-for-G5 bowls that were created at the start of the CFP basically have no payout at all. E.g., when the AAC created the Miami Beach Bowl, it never announced the payout because it didn't have one.
(This post was last modified: 01-06-2018 08:13 AM by quo vadis.)
01-06-2018 08:12 AM
quo vadis Offline
Legend

(01-06-2018 07:51 AM)johnbragg Wrote:  
(01-06-2018 07:15 AM)micahandme Wrote:  I am not a G5 fan...but I would probably (truthfully) watch as much of these "round of 16" games as I could. .....

What were your favorite moments from the FCS playoffs, then?

The dirty secret these "expand the playoffs" types won't admit to is that the FBS post-season is way more fun than the FCS post-season.

I will tune in to the FCS final today but ignored the rest of the playoffs. But i watched almost every one of the bowls during the past 2 1/2 weeks, G5 and P5, was loads of fun.

Any playoff that kills off "bowl mania" just isn't worth the tradeoff, IMO.
01-06-2018 08:16 AM
quo vadis Offline
Legend

Here are the payouts for each P5 conference for the non-CFP Bowls this year. Total and per-school:

SEC .... $17.35m ($1.24m)

ACC ... $17.20m ($1.15m)

B12 ... $15.00m ($1.50m)

B1G ... $12.8m ($914k)

PAC ... $9.6m ($800k)

Notes:

The SEC is pretty amazing, they got the most overall money despite playing in just six non-CFP bowls. The ACC didn't quite match the SEC's overall total despite playing in nine bowls, with the highest-paying, the Citrus, not usually in their rotation. The ACC also had to split their money 15 ways because Notre Dame was part of the rotation this year.

The Big 12 also has a very good lineup, tallying $15m for just seven games, and having the highest per-school average thanks to having fewer teams.

The B1G's lineup is surprisingly weak, and the PAC's is just plain bad.

The entirety of the G5 collected $17.8m, a little more than the SEC got, and that included Memphis/ACC getting a whopping $2.4m from the Liberty Bowl, a bowl usually not in their rotation.

So again, as with the CFP, the G5 is treated kind of like one P5 conference.
(This post was last modified: 01-06-2018 08:47 AM by quo vadis.)
01-06-2018 08:41 AM
goodknightfl Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
(01-06-2018 06:20 AM)micahandme Wrote:  
(01-05-2018 10:24 PM)msm96wolf Wrote:  http://www.collegefootballpoll.com/bowl-schedule/

Seeing that Memphis got paid over 2 million to play Iowa State (the dregs of the P5) in a no-stakes game, I can't fathom a world where the G5 couldn't get 2 million dollars per team for a playoff...and a lot more for their semifinal and finals.

The Liberty contracted out of the other dreg that normally would have gotten the 2 mil I have no problems no seeing the G5 get 2 mil per school for playoffs.. If G4 thinks it will work, do it on your own.. leave AAC out of it.
01-07-2018 11:06 AM
quo vadis Offline
Legend

(01-07-2018 11:06 AM)goodknightfl Wrote:  
(01-05-2018 10:24 PM)msm96wolf Wrote:  http://www.collegefootballpoll.com/bowl-schedule/

The Liberty contracted out of the other dreg that normally would have gotten the 2 mil I have no problems no seeing the G5 get 2 mil per school for playoffs.. If G4 thinks it will work, do it on your own.. leave AAC out of it.

Something tells me that the total Liberty payout of $4.8m ($2.4m per school) listed here is a mistake. I've never seen the Liberty pay out more than $1.4m per school, up to and including last year (2016-2017), or a total payout of $2.8m. But somehow the total payout increased by a whopping $2 million this past year? Makes me wonder, specially since the sponsor (Autozone) didn't change. Also, despite that apparent very large increase in $$$, the bowl's position in either the Big 12 or SEC selection hierarchy didn't change either, and finally you'd think the SEC would have preferred to give up a lesser-paying bowl if it couldn't fill all its slots rather than lose the now high-paying Liberty Bowl.

Is it possible that somehow the LB found $2m more this past year to pay out? Sure. But it smells funny. 07-coffee3
(This post was last modified: 01-07-2018 11:32 AM by quo vadis.)
01-07-2018 11:25 AM
Advertisement

billybobby777 Offline
The REAL BillyBobby

I Root For: ECU, Army
(01-07-2018 11:25 AM)quo vadis Wrote:  

Something tells me that the total Liberty payout of $4.8m ($2.4m per school) listed here is a mistake. I've never seen the Liberty pay out more than $1.4m per school, up to and including last year (2016-2017), or a total payout of $2.8m. But somehow the total payout increased by a whopping $2 million this past year? Makes me wonder, specially since the sponsor (Autozone) didn't change. Also, despite that apparent very large increase in $$$, the bowl's position in either the Big 12 or SEC selection hierarchy didn't change either, and finally you'd think the SEC would have preferred to give up a lesser-paying bowl if it couldn't fill all its slots rather than lose the now high-paying Liberty Bowl.

Is it possible that somehow the LB found $2m more this past year to pay out? Sure. But it smells funny. 07-coffee3

So what's the truth on the $ for this bowl? Memphis fans?
01-07-2018 11:36 AM
johnbragg Online

(01-06-2018 07:15 AM)micahandme Wrote:  (Remember, Memphis got 2 million to play Iowa State...so you know TV will pay money to see the best G5 teams.)

Your premise is highly questionable. We don't know that TV will pay money to see the best G5 teams. Nobody is throwing money at the MWC and AAC to match up their champions in a bowl.

Don't use this year's Liberty Bowl as a measuring stick for what TV will pay for G5 games--it is the product of a combination of factors that aren't likely to happen often. The Liberty Bowl payout is based on the expectation of an SEC-Big XII matchup.

With 5 SEC teams bowl-ineligible, they were short of teams for the Liberty-Belk-Outback-Gator-Music City-Texas Bowl tier. This year, of all the options for how to handle the SEC being short one for that tier, 10-3 Memphis to the Liberty Bowl made enough sense for everyone to agree to make it happen.

Better measuring sticks are:
P5 vs G5
Birmingham Bowl $2,050,000
Military Bowl $2,066,990
LAs Vegas $2,800,000
01-07-2018 11:39 AM
johnbragg Online

From the site:

"Amounts shown are actual 2016-2017 (updated 12/4/17) total payouts per information available from the NCAA. Conferences have different methods by which bowl money is divided among its membership and participating teams. Some bowl agreements call for higher payouts to one conference than the other, depending on such factors as which is the "host" conference."

So the $4.8M number is for last year's Georgia vs TCU game. My guess is that the bump happened when the game went from SEC vs CUSA to SEC vs Big 12, and bad information is just being copied around the internet.

EDIT: I also really think that Silve made a bunch of phone calls sounding out the 5 bowls in that tier, and the Big 12, Big 10 and ACC, and sounding out the 4 SEC schools involved, and ESPN, and the Memphis in the Liberty Bowl was the most palatable option.

What other option was there? Send Memphis to the Belk Bowl? Tell Iowa and Delaney they're playing FAU in the Outback Bowl?

The stars lined up here for Memphis in a big bowl in their home stadium. In a different year, the stars line up differently.
(This post was last modified: 01-07-2018 11:54 AM by johnbragg.)
01-07-2018 11:43 AM
quo vadis Offline
Legend

(01-07-2018 11:43 AM)johnbragg Wrote:  

From the site:

"Amounts shown are actual 2016-2017 (updated 12/4/17) total payouts per information available from the NCAA. Conferences have different methods by which bowl money is divided among its membership and participating teams. Some bowl agreements call for higher payouts to one conference than the other, depending on such factors as which is the "host" conference."

So the $4.8M number is for last year's Georgia vs TCU game. My guess is that the bump happened when the game went from SEC vs CUSA to SEC vs Big 12, and bad information is just being copied around the internet.

I have to admit that, despite my suspicions, I have to bow to this source until i can find a better one. 07-coffee3
01-07-2018 01:31 PM
Tigersmoke4 Offline
All American

I Root For: Memphis
Actually the AAC has a backup agreements with the liberty bowl like most bowls have. The liberty bowl was more than willing to have this agreement to hopefully get Memphis in at the first opportunity. So it's not so much that Memphis got lucky as much as the Liberty bowl was able to use it's contractual exemption to finally land Memphis. A liberty bowl spokesman has also stated that in order to get the SEC tie-in they had to go with the big12.
01-07-2018 02:04 PM
Advertisement

Wedge Offline

I Root For: California
(01-07-2018 11:39 AM)johnbragg Wrote:  
(01-06-2018 07:15 AM)micahandme Wrote:  (Remember, Memphis got 2 million to play Iowa State...so you know TV will pay money to see the best G5 teams.)

Your premise is highly questionable. We don't know that TV will pay money to see the best G5 teams. Nobody is throwing money at the MWC and AAC to match up their champions in a bowl.

Don't use this year's Liberty Bowl as a measuring stick for what TV will pay for G5 games--it is the product of a combination of factors that aren't likely to happen often. The Liberty Bowl payout is based on the expectation of an SEC-Big XII matchup.

With 5 SEC teams bowl-ineligible, they were short of teams for the Liberty-Belk-Outback-Gator-Music City-Texas Bowl tier. This year, of all the options for how to handle the SEC being short one for that tier, 10-3 Memphis to the Liberty Bowl made enough sense for everyone to agree to make it happen.

Better measuring sticks are:
P5 vs G5
Birmingham Bowl $2,050,000
Military Bowl $2,066,990
LAs Vegas $2,800,000

Here's another example: The Cactus Bowl has ties with the Pac-12 and Big 12, and a "backup" agreement with the MWC, but if an MWC team fills that backup spot, it gets $750,000, which is $1 million less than the Pac-12 and Big 12 each get for sending a team to the game.
01-07-2018 02:16 PM
Kittonhead Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Beat Matisse
My biggest takeaway from the payouts is its a good indicator of which bowls are on shakiest ground following a revamp of NCAA rules for bowl eligibility.

Frisco 100,000
Bahamas 225,000
Camellia 250,000
Arizona 278,000
Cure 802,000

I know a lot of MAC fans hate playing a bowl in Boise but if they are going to continue to pay us cash in that game its probably going to stick around.

For the games paying under 750k to participating schools they probably don't have a ticket guarantee attached. In the past that was the minimum payout but it was attached to a big ticket guarantee.
01-07-2018 02:40 PM
msm96wolf Offline
All American

I Root For:
I remember back many moons ago, I thought there was a 500K per team minimum. I did notice, these are G5 bowls that were added 2014+. Goes along with the NCAA bowl deregulation and bowl explosion.
01-07-2018 03:55 PM
Stugray2 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: tOSU SJSU Stan'
Do remember people that much of the "payout" in these bowl is in the form of tickets. A school will be given say 10,000 tickets (some bowls more, some bowls less) to sell at an average price of say $20 each, and that is $200K of the payout. What the Bowl has done is ship the overhead of marketing, ticket office hours, and sales to the school. Many of these payouts are less than the travel costs for the school.

Remember many G5 schools can schedule a revenue game against an Alabama or Penn State for as much as $1.5M.
01-07-2018 06:48 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.