Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Tribe in Charleston -- CAA Tourney
Bookmark and Share
Zorch Offline
All American

I Root For: W&M
Tribe in Charleston -- CAA Tourney
Never too soon to start planning .....

With the CAA tourney in Charleston for only two years (so far) and after last year I figured that I would go to the tournament this year. Now, with the exceedingly good vibes I am getting from this team (is it ever too soon to use the words "team of destiny"?), I am definitely starting to plan.

So, in which hotel did the team stay last year? Does anyone know where they plan to stay this year? Thanks in advance for any info on this topic, or for any other tasty tidbits about maximizing the Charleston experience. (Actually, I think that I already know the best way to maximize the Charleston experience!!!!!!).
01-02-2018 10:55 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

zablenoise Offline
Heisman

I Root For: William & Mary
RE: Tribe in Charleston -- CAA Tourney
I stayed in an airbnb in downtown Charleston a couple of blocks off of King St. Highly recommend it. It's an easy drive up to North Charleston and the arena. Plus there's so much more to do in the city.
01-02-2018 11:31 PM
Zorch Offline
All American

(01-02-2018 11:31 PM)zablenoise Wrote:  I stayed in an airbnb in downtown Charleston a couple of blocks off of King St. Highly recommend it. It's an easy drive up to North Charleston and the arena. Plus there's so much more to do in the city.

Thanks Zablenoise! Can you PM me the name of the airbnb?

Still interested in other folks' experiences, as well!
01-02-2018 11:38 PM
Sitting bull Offline
All American

There are plenty of hotels within a mile or two of the Coliseum in North Charleston - Marriott and Hilton/Hampton labels among others. It's very commercial/suburban in the Coliseum area.

Old Charleston also has many options for a higher price and you are about 10-15 minute drive from the Colisuem area. If you are staying for the full tourney, will be more enjoyable with more time down in this area. Beautiful walking city with lots of great restaurants.

It's very early though it looks again as if geography is going help immensley for Charleston. The top three teams today - Charleston, Elon and W&M - are the CAAs closest to Charleston along with UNCW (which should travel ok anyway). Good fortune on the move this far south. It's always a risk when you schedule an event like this on the conference fringe.
I hope this year they don't stick the bigger fan bases in the upper deck which they did last year with UNCW and W&M.
01-03-2018 06:06 AM
wml33t Offline
1st String

I Root For: William and Mar
(01-02-2018 11:31 PM)zablenoise Wrote:  I stayed in an airbnb in downtown Charleston a couple of blocks off of King St. Highly recommend it. It's an easy drive up to North Charleston and the arena. Plus there's so much more to do in the city.

On the opposite end from this, the Embassy Suites in North Charleston is literally attached to the arena. It's a solid hotel, has a good (free) breakfast, and couldn't be more accessible to the arena. North Charleston is nowhere near as exciting as downtown, but it has a mall across the street and a lot of food options close (even walking distance if you're willing to walk a bit). Downtown is still a short drive away.

If you're going to do more games than just Tribe games, I think this is a great way to go.
01-03-2018 07:40 AM
LeadBolt Offline
All American

We rented a house in Mt. Pleasant. A bit of a drive but enjoy the atmosphere. The possibilities for pleasant places to stay in Charleston are abundant and access to the arena is good. Imo, where you stay is less critical than say in Baltimore.
01-03-2018 09:23 AM
Advertisement

WMTRIBE75 Offline
1st String

I Root For: WILLIAM & MARY
Last year the tournament was held the same weekend as some big wine festival in Charleston. According to one of the Charleston posters, it is one of the two biggest tourist events of the year and it caused hotel rates to skyrocket in downtown Charleston. Great planning on Charleston's part to bid on the tournament when it knew that it fell on the same weekend as the festival.

In answer to your question, we got a room at the Marriott in North Charleston and that is where the team ended up staying. The hotel is nice, parking is free, and the hotel is about a mile from the Coliseum. I have already reserved my room there for this year.
01-03-2018 09:27 AM
Zorch Offline
All American

(01-03-2018 09:27 AM)WMTRIBE75 Wrote:  In answer to your question, we got a room at the Marriott in North Charleston and that is where the team ended up staying. The hotel is nice, parking is free, and the hotel is about a mile from the Coliseum. I have already reserved my room there for this year.

Thanks, all, for the great poop! Thanks, 75, for the info on the Tribe's hotel location; it might be cool to stay there.
01-03-2018 09:58 AM
WMTRIBE75 Offline
1st String

I Root For: WILLIAM & MARY
(01-03-2018 09:58 AM)Zorch Wrote:  
(01-03-2018 09:27 AM)WMTRIBE75 Wrote:  In answer to your question, we got a room at the Marriott in North Charleston and that is where the team ended up staying. The hotel is nice, parking is free, and the hotel is about a mile from the Coliseum. I have already reserved my room there for this year.

Thanks, all, for the great poop! Thanks, 75, for the info on the Tribe's hotel location; it might be cool to stay there.

It also happened to be where the Tribe Club had its pregame gatherings for both the quarterfinals and semis. I have no idea where the team is staying this year but it was fun to be able to talk to the players and coaches. Jay and Charlie stayed there also.
01-03-2018 10:33 AM
billymac Offline
Heisman

W&M and Marriott have had a close relationship ever since Tony took over (and probably before). That is generally the first choice for hotels in an area, if one is available.
01-03-2018 11:53 AM
Tribal Offline

(01-03-2018 11:53 AM)billymac Wrote:  W&M and Marriott have had a close relationship ever since Tony took over (and probably before). That is generally the first choice for hotels in an area, if one is available.
That's interesting. Has TribeAthletics ever solicited Marriott awards points to help fray travel costs? I have an ungodly number of points to donate.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
01-03-2018 11:59 AM
Advertisement

TribePride91 Offline
All American

I Root For: W&M Tribe
It was a great experience last year and it looks like I might have a few more folks with me this year. I will pass on the information about the possible hotels. Wish I had bought Marriott stock years ago when they started doing the awards points.
01-03-2018 07:00 PM
billymac Offline
Heisman

(01-03-2018 11:59 AM)Tribal Wrote:  
(01-03-2018 11:53 AM)billymac Wrote:  W&M and Marriott have had a close relationship ever since Tony took over (and probably before). That is generally the first choice for hotels in an area, if one is available.
That's interesting. Has TribeAthletics ever solicited Marriott awards points to help fray travel costs? I have an ungodly number of points to donate.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Tribal, I doubt that they would need to do that for team travel, but it would be a super idea for recruiting trip travel. All those trips cost recruiting budget money. Anything like donated rewards points would, I would have to think, be much appreciated, as it would certainly expand the reach of that budget.
01-03-2018 07:11 PM
wmmii Offline
1st String

Hope the Tribe can keep up their winning ways. We are now projected as a 14 seed on CBSsports playing UVA as 3 seed. Long way to go but nice to see some recognition from Jerry Palmer.
01-05-2018 11:25 AM
nogretheogre Offline
Lord of Bots & Tots

(01-05-2018 11:25 AM)wmmii Wrote:  Hope the Tribe can keep up their winning ways. We are now projected as a 14 seed on CBSsports playing UVA as 3 seed. Long way to go but nice to see some recognition from Jerry Palmer.

ESPN has 14COC vs 3UNC in Nashville.
01-05-2018 11:37 AM
TribePride91 Offline
All American

None of the bracket stuff matters at all unless you have,an at large chance. Otherwise projected team from the CAA means nothing. It will be the team that wins in March, unless somebody goes 16-2 or better in conference. Even then, probably no difference.
01-05-2018 12:24 PM
Advertisement

TDenverFan Online
All American

I'd be surprised if the CAA Champ winds up as a 14 seed
01-05-2018 12:26 PM
wmmii Offline
1st String

(01-05-2018 12:24 PM)TribePride91 Wrote:  None of the bracket stuff matters at all unless you have,an at large chance. Otherwise projected team from the CAA means nothing. It will be the team that wins in March, unless somebody goes 16-2 or better in conference. Even then, probably no difference.

It is valuable to gauge what the potential seeding might be for who wins the tourney and to see what "experts" think about our program. Also much higher chance of a NIT bid if you are projected to make the dance....Think positive!
01-05-2018 04:56 PM
TribePride91 Offline
All American

(01-05-2018 04:56 PM)wmmii Wrote:  
(01-05-2018 12:24 PM)TribePride91 Wrote:  None of the bracket stuff matters at all unless you have,an at large chance. Otherwise projected team from the CAA means nothing. It will be the team that wins in March, unless somebody goes 16-2 or better in conference. Even then, probably no difference.

It is valuable to gauge what the potential seeding might be for who wins the tourney and to see what "experts" think about our program. Also much higher chance of a NIT bid if you are projected to make the dance....Think positive!

I am thinking very positive about this particular team. But, I want no part of projecting anything at this point. We are on any brackets based on having the lowest RPI in the conference, not based on anyone actually thinking we will make it. Plus, it doesn't matter if they do think we will, we have to win in March to get there. As everyone does, I want the Tribe on the actual bracket, not a projected one. Now, advising what we are in the RPI, potential at-large discussions, I am fine with that type of dreaming. If someone in the league goes 16-2 or better, we might have a claim. UNCW had a team to be considered, but not the OOC schedule last year. We had a decent schedule and a decent OOC RPI, but no big wins. ODU and Marshall aren't enough. I don't like the premise at all, but we won't get a fair shake if we get to say 50 in the RPI. The only year we had an argument was 09-10 and we did not get in then with an OOC RPI of 2 at one point. We lost too many games in the conference. We just need to win tonight at Delaware and not be concerned about anything else. 2 Road wins in a row would be a significant accomplishment. UNCW at Towson should be interesting, too. Just too early to dream when we have 16 conference games to go.
01-05-2018 05:50 PM
LeadBolt Offline
All American

(01-05-2018 05:50 PM)TribePride91 Wrote:  
(01-05-2018 04:56 PM)wmmii Wrote:  

I am thinking very positive about this particular team. But, I want no part of projecting anything at this point. We are on any brackets based on having the lowest RPI in the conference, not based on anyone actually thinking we will make it. Plus, it doesn't matter if they do think we will, we have to win in March to get there. As everyone does, I want the Tribe on the actual bracket, not a projected one. Now, advising what we are in the RPI, potential at-large discussions, I am fine with that type of dreaming. If someone in the league goes 16-2 or better, we might have a claim. UNCW had a team to be considered, but not the OOC schedule last year. We had a decent schedule and a decent OOC RPI, but no big wins. ODU and Marshall aren't enough. I don't like the premise at all, but we won't get a fair shake if we get to say 50 in the RPI. The only year we had an argument was 09-10 and we did not get in then with an OOC RPI of 2 at one point. We lost too many games in the conference. We just need to win tonight at Delaware and not be concerned about anything else. 2 Road wins in a row would be a significant accomplishment. UNCW at Towson should be interesting, too. Just too early to dream when we have 16 conference games to go.

DACA - protect the dreamers...
01-05-2018 06:00 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.