Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Year in Review
Bookmark and Share
Djud Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: NIU
Year in Review
The 2017 season
Fall Camp – Camp ends with equal mix of optimism and skepticism, with fans still bitter over the 2016 season. After an extended QB battle, Graham beats out Santa, Thompson leaves camp slightly ahead of Childers as the 3rd string QB. Defense appears to be fast with Smith and Corcoran at DE, Kyle Pugh at MLB along with what appears to be a solid group of LBs and secondary.

Boston College – The Huskies show promise in the season opener against a formidable opponent. The D surpasses expectations, Smith, Pugh, Jones and Johnson are outstanding. Graham runs effectively but leaves some big plays on the field. Hagan misses a key FG and we fall short in spite of a great effort. Graham suffers an elbow injury that will ultimately sideline him for basically the entire season.

EIU – Santa starts and plays very well, making big plays. The passing game opens up the run game, Huff and Jones combine for 150 rushing yards. The defense is again stout, and the Huskies take care of business, giving the loyal fan base reason for optimism.

Nebraska- Expectations are appropriately low, but after two pick 6s from our high-flying defense (Lurry, Johnson), thoughts of a major upset start. The defense led by Smith, Pugh, Jones and Corcoran are incredible. Nebraska battles back however, and takes the lead after a muffed punt. Then in the 4th quarter, Santa hits Blake on a deep pass, and the momentum shifts. After Huff makes some big gains, Santa hits Blake on a key slant to the 1 yard line and Huff pounds it home to put the Huskies back on top. Our outstanding D stiffens, holds the lead getting, Corcoran gets the Huskies 3rd pick of the day (Santa has zero turnovers), and NIU leaves Lincoln with a historic Boneyard W.

SDSU – After an opening SDSU KO return, the Huskies battle back to tie the game twice on Santa to Blake TD passes (Blake has his best game as a Huskie with 160 receiving yards). After completing 10 of his first 11 passes, Santa makes a bad read and throws a pick 6 which puts the Aztecs up, a lead they never give up. Huff is outstanding, and Santa’s passing gets us back into the game after SDSU built a17 point lead, the big play was a 81 yard TD pass to Tears. A great defense effort ***** the momentum late, and the Huskies are driving for a potential winning TD. The drive is highlighted by Huff’s relentless running. Then on a 1st and 10 from the 20, Santa throws a poorly thrown pass into tight coverage. The pass is intercepted at the goal line. The Defense is able to get the Huskies O one last chance, but Santa throws his 3rd pick in desperation time. #19 SDSU survives the near upset. In addition to the heartbreaking loss, the Huskies lose Kyle Pugh to a season ending injury.

Kent State – The weather conditions are horrible. Both teams are ineffective early. The defense is again dominating, limiting a weak KSU Offense to 3 points. The Huskies with Santa at QB are 3 and out on their first two drives. Childers comes in on the 3rd series and is effective running the ball leading to a TD. Santa comes back in for the 4th series. After a few productive running plays, Santa throws his first pass of the game to a well covered Blake. The KSU DB makes a great play in the end zone. Childers comes back in and is effective for the remainder of the game until a late INT in the end zone. Carey buts Santa back in to take a knee and finish the game out, hoping to send a message to Childers. The following week Childers is named the starter, and Santa’s season is basically over, playing roughly 10 plays the remainder of the season, all in “mop up” time.

Buffalo – The Childers era begins. This game takes the legend of Sutton Smith to a whole new level. His hit on the talented Drew Anderson, who was having his way with the Huskie secondary was the key to a Huskie W. Both teams miss late FGs., and the Huskies escape with a victory. Childers is again effective running the ball, and hits most of his short passes. However, what was noticeably missing was an effective deep ball. Childers missed several open receivers deep. NIU gives Coach Carey what he wants most, zero turnovers.

BGSU – The Huskies take care of business early and often against another weak MAC opponent. Childers is again effective, finding Beebe, who had one of the best games of his career. Hagan gets back on track.

EMU – The Huskies survive in OT thanks in large part to a blocked punt. Jones, Johnson, Cochran and Smith are stellar on defense. Childers is effective late, and has a solid W against a good defense. The most effective passing plays are the short high % passes to Brown and Wimann both of whom score TD’s off of short pass plays.

Toledo – The Huskies face a solid Toledo team. Weaknesses on both sides of the ball exposed, and the Rockets, who on this day were clearly the better team, emerge victorious. The Rockets are the first team to contain Smith. Still the Huskies battle till the end, but any conference title hopes ended with the loss. Childers is able to throw for over 200 yards on 43 attempts, but throws 2 picks, and his struggles completing deep passes continue.

Ball State – The Huskies dominate every aspect of the game against what was their weakest opponent all year. The secondary does give up a few plays which is reason for concern. Childers has 4 TD passes on 141 passing yards. Ryan Graham comes back and runs the ball well, but again leaves with an injury. Santa throws a 70 yard TD pass to Wesley on what would be his last action as a Huskie. The run game is solid. Huskies suffer another significant injury on defense, this time to Josh Cochran.

WMU – The Huskies score 14 4th quarter points to win a close game against a resilient Bronco team. Jordan Huff has his best game as a Huskie gaining nearly 200 yards rushing. The D struggles at times but stiffens late, and still manages to put points on the board with a 54 yard fumble recovery for a TD by who else? Sutton Smith. Childers has a tough outing throwing for 64 yards albeit in difficult passing conditions.

CMU – After a strong 1st half the Huskies suffer a second half melt down, turning what could have been a great season into a good season. Huff’s effectiveness is limited due to injury, Harbison is effective early. Childers struggles continue, as he throws for only 128 yards. Anthony Thompson sees his first action of the season. The Huskies suffer lose both Huff and Beebe to injury.

Duke – It was just bad…enough said.

The Huskies end the season with an 8-5 record, perhaps exceeding many of the loyalists expectations. Although the record is good, NIU is winless against teams with winning records.
On the plus side, the future appears to be bright with outstanding talent returning on defense, led by All American Sutton Smith. Two key defenders, Corcoran and Pugh, will return from season ending injuries. The QB position appears to be set with Childers (5-3 as a starter), who enters his sophomore season with more game experience than perhaps any QB in the program’s history. Carey and his staff appear to have recruited very well.
On the downside, Carey ends what could have been a great season on vert sour note, starting with a bad loss to CMU and ending with some horrible in-game decision making on a nationally televised bowl game. The team as a whole, including the all important QB position, fails to show the in season improvement which typifies a successful season. On to 2018.
12-28-2017 12:41 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Dtownboys Offline
1st String

RE: Year in Review
Good summary. Lots of questions from 2017 still unanswered. Conservative playing calling and qb choice in different situations was questionable. We could have lost to Buffalo, emu, and wmu but also could have beaten BC, SDSU, and cmu. Very mixed reaction to the season.

Can't wait for September 1, 2018
12-28-2017 01:51 PM
NIU1981 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Peace & Equity
Great summary. A couple of additional points:

-Hagan's missed field goal vs. BC was tipped at the line, which gave it the dying quail effect

-On one of Childers' interceptions vs Toledo the wet ball slipped out of his hand and went straight up in the air before being picked off. That was just bad luck.

Regarding CMU I still don't know what happened to our D in the second half. They just disappeared, very strange, especially after being so good for most of the season.

Regarding Duke a combination of poor QB play, receivers not getting open, poor play calling and injuries did the trick. To those who say injuries did not matter I respectfully disagree. Our 2017 offense wasn't very good anyway, then subtract our two best offensive players in Huff and Wimann. Big impact. Our defense was without Corcoran, Leroy, Lee, Pugh and Lurry. That looks like an all-MAC roster. There's no way the next man up can fill that many holes, especially in G5.

QBs. Our QBs were not good this year but to be fair neither were our receivers. Tears' emergence was great to see and he could be poised for great things but this group as a whole was our weakest in several years. I looked back through the archives and if I were ranking the receiver corps over the last ten years I would probably rank this group last. They are good players and i'm sure good kids too but not strong as a group, which reflected poorly on our QBs.

Play calling really needs to be looked at in the offseason. On far too many occasions it looks like no one is open. Are the plays poorly conceived or are the reveivers not taught how to get separation, or both. Also we ran too many plays behind the line of scrimmage for my taste, like passes in the flat and jet sweeps. Those work great when you have Tommylee Lewis, not so great when you don't have Tommylee Lewis. We expected too many guys to go one one one and pick up eight yards, hard to do unless you have exceptional speed and quickness.

I'll save the best topic for last, Coach Carey. I thought he improved in most areas this year. He brought in two exceptional recruiting classes in calendar year 2017, he improved his sideline demeanor significantly, and he improved in front of the press. Except for his bonehead comment about Detroit of course. Even if the team felt that way, which I'm sure they did, it was dumb of him to say it out loud. Otherwise though he did much better with the media than past years.

The fake punt was ridiculous and the conservatism and the end of first halves was annoying too, but Coach Carey's biggest failure is simple: he hasn't recruited the QB position very well. Plug in a better QB and we're having quite a different discussion right now. I'm not talking Harnish or Lynch either. Put Maddie with this team and they could have gone 11-1 or 12-0.

I would love to land a grad transfer QB for 2018 to help get through that tough schedule and give Childers a year to work on his game in practice. He could be very good down the road but I would much prefer a veteran QB next year.
12-28-2017 02:36 PM
Djud Offline
Special Teams

(12-28-2017 02:36 PM)NIU1981 Wrote:  Great summary. A couple of additional points:

-Hagan's missed field goal vs. BC was tipped at the line, which gave it the dying quail effect

-On one of Childers' interceptions vs Toledo the wet ball slipped out of his hand and went straight up in the air before being picked off. That was just bad luck.

Regarding CMU I still don't know what happened to our D in the second half. They just disappeared, very strange, especially after being so good for most of the season.

Regarding Duke a combination of poor QB play, receivers not getting open, poor play calling and injuries did the trick. To those who say injuries did not matter I respectfully disagree. Our 2017 offense wasn't very good anyway, then subtract our two best offensive players in Huff and Wimann. Big impact. Our defense was without Corcoran, Leroy, Lee, Pugh and Lurry. That looks like an all-MAC roster. There's no way the next man up can fill that many holes, especially in G5.

QBs. Our QBs were not good this year but to be fair neither were our receivers. Tears' emergence was great to see and he could be poised for great things but this group as a whole was our weakest in several years. I looked back through the archives and if I were ranking the receiver corps over the last ten years I would probably rank this group last. They are good players and i'm sure good kids too but not strong as a group, which reflected poorly on our QBs.

Play calling really needs to be looked at in the offseason. On far too many occasions it looks like no one is open. Are the plays poorly conceived or are the reveivers not taught how to get separation, or both. Also we ran too many plays behind the line of scrimmage for my taste, like passes in the flat and jet sweeps. Those work great when you have Tommylee Lewis, not so great when you don't have Tommylee Lewis. We expected too many guys to go one one one and pick up eight yards, hard to do unless you have exceptional speed and quickness.

I'll save the best topic for last, Coach Carey. I thought he improved in most areas this year. He brought in two exceptional recruiting classes in calendar year 2017, he improved his sideline demeanor significantly, and he improved in front of the press. Except for his bonehead comment about Detroit of course. Even if the team felt that way, which I'm sure they did, it was dumb of him to say it out loud. Otherwise though he did much better with the media than past years.

The fake punt was ridiculous and the conservatism and the end of first halves was annoying too, but Coach Carey's biggest failure is simple: he hasn't recruited the QB position very well. Plug in a better QB and we're having quite a different discussion right now. I'm not talking Harnish or Lynch either. Put Maddie with this team and they could have gone 11-1 or 12-0.

I would love to land a grad transfer QB for 2018 to help get through that tough schedule and give Childers a year to work on his game in practice. He could be very good down the road but I would much prefer a veteran QB next year.

The production difference in our WRs between Santa and Childers was very significant.
12-28-2017 03:36 PM
NIU17 Offline
All American

I Root For: NIU Huskies
(12-28-2017 02:36 PM)NIU1981 Wrote:  The fake punt was ridiculous and the conservatism and the end of first halves was annoying too, but Coach Carey's biggest failure is simple: he hasn't recruited the QB position very well. Plug in a better QB and we're having quite a different discussion right now. I'm not talking Harnish or Lynch either. Put Maddie with this team and they could have gone 11-1 or 12-0.
I think Carey is a bad evaluator. With Graham-Santa-Childers, he chose the safe options instead of the guy who was a good passer. He had Maddie and switched him to wr. I thought Maddie was as good as Hare and he chose Hare, so why didn't Maddie stay as the #2? He didn't use Maddie again until all his qb's were injured and we saw how damn good he was in the short amount of time he played. And he didn't make Huff a starter until his senior year. The guy has the most ability as anyone in the MAC.
12-28-2017 04:57 PM
Advertisement

NIU05 Online
Heisman

I Root For: TRUTH
81 ..like your comments. Comes down to QB production for Carey. Hare getting hurt cost us a lot of wins. Hare with this year's team 10-11 wins.

Huff big fan but he had a responsibility to get on the field. Quite often with all his talent he was not prepared.
12-28-2017 06:51 PM
NIU05 Online
Heisman

Anyone know why Hawn and Roberts did not play against Duke? Would Shane Evans who started all games this year for Purdue. Would he have started for us and made a difference this year?
12-28-2017 06:53 PM
HuskiePride12 Online
Heisman

I Root For: NIU, WHITE SOX
(12-28-2017 02:36 PM)NIU1981 Wrote:  Great summary. A couple of additional points:

+1000

Jacob park from Iowa state would fit in perfectly for one season. He just got his official release and on film looks quicker than Childers and has a better arm than anyone one our roster.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=FZZdwHMGJg8
12-28-2017 07:34 PM
NIU1981 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Peace & Equity
(12-28-2017 06:53 PM)NIU05 Wrote:  Anyone know why Hawn and Roberts did not play against Duke? Would Shane Evans who started all games this year for Purdue. Would he have started for us and made a difference this year?

That's a great question since both Hawn and Roberts were dressed. It seems kind of random that they would go the whole season with Steckler at left guard and Roberts/Hawn at right tackle and then suddenly trot out Olson at left guard and Steckler at right tackle for the bowl game. The only thing I can figure, and this is just a guess, is that they've decided Olson is one of their five best and they had to find a way to get him on the field. Otherwise I have no idea. Olson had a great block on Harbison's TD run by the way.
(This post was last modified: 12-28-2017 09:30 PM by NIU1981.)
12-28-2017 09:28 PM
Advertisement

NIU05 Online
Heisman

Olson played well. Believe line is well positioned for next year.

Just speculating now....will OLine coach be back? He's been here a long time for a young guy. Young assistants usually jump around
12-28-2017 10:33 PM
VegasHuskie Offline
Special Teams

Nice recap, Djud. Reading through this gets me irritated all over again at the quick hook thrown at Santacaterina. When it is laid out like this; you see how little of an opportunity he actually received. The kid made a couple of critical errors on the road against a ranked team, and that was pretty much it. He was done. Never mind that he also was the only quarterback that could stretch the field and make the offense come alive.
12-28-2017 10:40 PM
Djud Offline
Special Teams

(12-28-2017 10:40 PM)VegasHuskie Wrote:  Nice recap, Djud. Reading through this gets me irritated all over again at the quick hook thrown at Santacaterina. When it is laid out like this; you see how little of an opportunity he actually received. The kid made a couple of critical errors on the road against a ranked team, and that was pretty much it. He was done. Never mind that he also was the only quarterback that could stretch the field and make the offense come alive.

Agree Vegas, the door was completely shut. Santa had 2 of the top 3 passing yards in a game all season, and he played in basically 3 games. Carey had to think that given the strength of the D he could compete for a MAC title by simply running the ball effectively, and keeping turnovers to a minimum. I guess you can argue he was right.
12-28-2017 10:58 PM
VegasHuskie Offline
Special Teams

(12-28-2017 10:58 PM)Djud Wrote:  
(12-28-2017 10:40 PM)VegasHuskie Wrote:  Nice recap, Djud. Reading through this gets me irritated all over again at the quick hook thrown at Santacaterina. When it is laid out like this; you see how little of an opportunity he actually received. The kid made a couple of critical errors on the road against a ranked team, and that was pretty much it. He was done. Never mind that he also was the only quarterback that could stretch the field and make the offense come alive.

Agree Vegas, the door was completely shut. Santa had 2 of the top 3 passing yards in a game all season, and he played in basically 3 games. Carey had to think that given the strength of the D he could compete for a MAC title by simply running the ball effectively, and keeping turnovers to a minimum. I guess you can argue he was right.

Which is an interesting point, and kind of mirrors some of the basic arguments we see on this message board. What is Coacy Carey playing for? Is his objective to win the MAC or his objective to compete for the access bowl slot?

Of course, initially both, however I get it that perhaps the mindset changes after the SDSU loss when the ceiling for the season changed with two losses.

I also get it that the NIU defense was too stout to lose to the lesser MAC teams, so there was logic to playing ultra conservative.

I just can't buy into it, though. I can't advocate any philosophy that has a team playing not to lose.
12-28-2017 11:24 PM
Advertisement

NIUSox10 Offline
All American

I Root For: NIU, White Sox
(12-28-2017 11:24 PM)VegasHuskie Wrote:  

Which is an interesting point, and kind of mirrors some of the basic arguments we see on this message board. What is Coacy Carey playing for? Is his objective to win the MAC or his objective to compete for the access bowl slot?

Of course, initially both, however I get it that perhaps the mindset changes after the SDSU loss when the ceiling for the season changed with two losses.

I also get it that the NIU defense was too stout to lose to the lesser MAC teams, so there was logic to playing ultra conservative.

I just can't buy into it, though. I can't advocate any philosophy that has a team playing not to lose.

Except in bowl season of course, then its ok to go for the jugular by keeping the offense on the field via fake punt in your own red zone. 04-cheers
12-28-2017 11:40 PM
NIU007 Offline
Legend

I Root For: NIU, MAC

Don't know that he was right. Not only did we lose to Toledo, but we lost to CMU also. That made us essentially the 3rd best team in the West, and we were probably behind Ohio in the East (maybe Akron also). Carey was lucky too, with WMU losing their QB before they played us. And we were fortunate that Drew Anderson of Buffalo got knocked out of that game or we probably lose that one too.
(This post was last modified: 12-29-2017 10:39 AM by NIU007.)
12-29-2017 10:37 AM
HuskiePride12 Online
Heisman

I Root For: NIU, WHITE SOX
(12-29-2017 10:37 AM)NIU007 Wrote:  

Don't know that he was right. Not only did we lose to Toledo, but we lost to CMU also. That made us essentially the 3rd best team in the West, and we were probably behind Ohio in the East (maybe Akron also). Carey was lucky too, with WMU losing their QB before they played us. And we were fortunate that Drew Anderson of Buffalo got knocked out of that game or we probably lose that one too.

Don't forget EMU. If their kicker hits one field goal they win. Don't know if I've seen a kicker **** the bed that bad.
(This post was last modified: 12-29-2017 10:50 AM by HuskiePride12.)
12-29-2017 10:50 AM
NIU007 Offline
Legend

I Root For: NIU, MAC
(12-29-2017 10:50 AM)HuskiePride12 Wrote:  
(12-29-2017 10:37 AM)NIU007 Wrote:  

Don't forget EMU. If their kicker hits one field goal they win. Don't know if I've seen a kicker **** the bed that bad.

Except for Sims the second half of his senior year, including the game against Utah State.
12-29-2017 10:56 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.