Kent State Golden Flashes

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Kent State @ Albany
fallsdog Offline
All American

I Root For: Kent State
Kent State @ Albany
The Flashes head east to the capital of New York to take on 11-3 Albany this evening. Albany is ranked fourth in the latest mid major poll, and for good reason. They are unbeaten at home and their losses include a two point setback at Louisville and a nine point loss at Memphis. Albany’s Head Coach, Will Brown is in his sixteenth year at the helm.

Go Flashes!
12-28-2017 09:11 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

GoFlashes7 Offline
1st String

RE: Kent State @ Albany
Good luck to KSU Men's Basketball tonight in Albany NY. Here's to getting another non-conference win before the MAC season starts. Are any players having to sit out due to illness, injury, or suspension tonight? Would be nice to see them have their full squad.

Who does everyone on hear think is the best starting 5 at this point in the season for Senderoff/staff? What about the bench rotation?
12-28-2017 10:32 AM
cleveland Offline
1st String

I Root For: basketball
(12-28-2017 10:32 AM)GoFlashes7 Wrote:  Good luck to KSU Men's Basketball tonight in Albany NY. Here's to getting another non-conference win before the MAC season starts. Are any players having to sit out due to illness, injury, or suspension tonight? Would be nice to see them have their full squad.

Who does everyone on hear think is the best starting 5 at this point in the season for Senderoff/staff? What about the bench rotation?

GOOD QUESTION .... but tough to answer when - based on the box scores - Duling is clearly overmatched and Peterson just has not stepped up offensively. Kent needs both of those guys to be strong/consistent producers and currently both of them are not.

Perhaps league play will be different for both of them, and perhaps those who have seen the team play several times in person have a different view. . ... But if not, tough for Senderoff to put a starting lineup on the floor that is not seriously flawed ... or to find much consistent help on the bench (beyond Zabo???)
12-28-2017 01:24 PM
flash77 Offline
Bench Warmer

According to AM at the RC, DP reinjured his ankle this past Monday. Don't be surprised if he sits out or sees limited action tonight.
12-28-2017 01:31 PM
anti-zip Offline
All American

I Root For: kent state!
Walker having another rough shooting night. Probably going to need him to get it going if we're going to get this one. Those two offensive goaltends at the end of the first half were frustrating.
12-28-2017 07:50 PM
JimJoyce Offline
1st String

I Root For: KT ST
We just don't do a good job at getting the ball to the hot shooter. I mean Zabo and De La Rosa combine to shoot 7-8 in the first half yet we don't look for them. We seem content with Walker and Pippen triggering low percentage shots early in the shot clock. Dumb.
12-28-2017 07:53 PM
Advertisement

anti-zip Offline
All American

That sequence where we got 4 or 5 offensive rebounds down 2 and couldn't get one to go then they came back and hit a three could be a big moment in this game.
12-28-2017 08:19 PM
fallsdog Offline
All American

Good first half. The foul trouble that De La Rosa and Frederick find themselves in remains a concern. MAC play is right around the corner.
12-28-2017 08:42 PM
KSU Agee Offline
Bench Warmer

Same problems. Different game. Good luck at NIU Kent. You're gonna need it. Actually, luck is where preparation meets opportunity. Kent isn't prepared.
12-28-2017 09:10 PM
cleveland Offline
1st String

(12-28-2017 09:10 PM)KSU Agee Wrote:  Same problems. Different game. Good luck at NIU Kent. You're gonna need it. Actually, luck is where preparation meets opportunity. Kent isn't prepared.

No Peterson in the box score ????
12-28-2017 09:54 PM
anti-zip Offline
All American

Stuck right with a really good team for 25 minutes then faded fast in the final 15. A 10 point loss at Albany is certainly not an embarrassment. Anyone know if Peterson's DNP was due to injury or is he possibly slipping out of the rotation?

In the off season I felt the biggest key to this season was Walker taking the next step and becoming a guy that can carry the team. I still feel the same way. If Walker continues to be a high volume low efficiency scorer that picks and chooses when he wants to affect the game in other ways we're probably a middling MAC team that has to fight just to get to Cleveland. If he can start gaining some consistency with his shot and increase his efficiency a lot of doors will open for other guys. Hopefully his inefficiency of late can be attributed to him trying to get back into the swing of things after missing time. Through the first 6 games he was shooting 44.6% on 13.8 attempts per game and 33.3% from three on 8 attempts per game. Then he missed 3 games. In the 4 games since he's returned he's shooting an abysmal 31.5% on 18.25 attempts per game and 23.5% on 8.5 three point attempts per game.

One thing that constantly frustrates me about Walker's game is that he doesn't consistently affect the game outside of scoring but we know he has the ability to do so. Our post players struggle to stay out of foul trouble and we lack length on the wing so if Walker could consistently grab rebounds it would go a very long way. If it seems weird that I'm expecting more rebounds from our 6'1" 180 lb. shooting guard look back at how he finished last season. In the last 8 games he averaged 7.25 rpg. For the season he averaged 4.4 rpg. He came into this game averaging 2.4 rpg this year. We came into this one holding a +1.67 rpg edge over our opponents. Last year we had a +6 rpg edge on the season. A big part of why we were such a good rebounding team last year was how much our guards helped out. Between Walker and Edwin we were getting 9.9 rpg. If we could get some of that back it could save a foul or two on our bigs. You can't always control if shots go in each night but you can control your effort crashing the boards each night.

If it seems like I'm being overly critical of Walker's game it's because I have much higher expectations for him. We saw how good he can be last year.

Last comment, it's really disappointing how Duling has become a complete non factor on offense (3 points in the last 4 games). With his athleticism I feel like we need to be working on some pet plays to get him good looks. Maybe some pick and rolls with Avery or plays designed for him to get lost in the corner and slash for an alley-oop, similar to what we did with Evans his first year here.. I think it would go along way to keeping his confidence up and it's not like teams would gameplan to take his opportunities away from us.
12-28-2017 10:12 PM
Advertisement

JimJoyce Offline
1st String

I Root For: KT ST
Radio said multiple times Peterson caught the flu bug.
12-28-2017 10:28 PM
cleveland Offline
1st String

(12-28-2017 10:12 PM)anti-zip Wrote:  Stuck right with a really good team for 25 minutes then faded fast in the final 15. A 10 point loss at Albany is certainly not an embarrassment. Anyone know if Peterson's DNP was due to injury or is he possibly slipping out of the rotation?

In the off season I felt the biggest key to this season was Walker taking the next step and becoming a guy that can carry the team. I still feel the same way. If Walker continues to be a high volume low efficiency scorer that picks and chooses when he wants to affect the game in other ways we're probably a middling MAC team that has to fight just to get to Cleveland. If he can start gaining some consistency with his shot and increase his efficiency a lot of doors will open for other guys. Hopefully his inefficiency of late can be attributed to him trying to get back into the swing of things after missing time. Through the first 6 games he was shooting 44.6% on 13.8 attempts per game and 33.3% from three on 8 attempts per game. Then he missed 3 games. In the 4 games since he's returned he's shooting an abysmal 31.5% on 18.25 attempts per game and 23.5% on 8.5 three point attempts per game.

One thing that constantly frustrates me about Walker's game is that he doesn't consistently affect the game outside of scoring but we know he has the ability to do so. Our post players struggle to stay out of foul trouble and we lack length on the wing so if Walker could consistently grab rebounds it would go a very long way. If it seems weird that I'm expecting more rebounds from our 6'1" 180 lb. shooting guard look back at how he finished last season. In the last 8 games he averaged 7.25 rpg. For the season he averaged 4.4 rpg. He came into this game averaging 2.4 rpg this year. We came into this one holding a +1.67 rpg edge over our opponents. Last year we had a +6 rpg edge on the season. A big part of why we were such a good rebounding team last year was how much our guards helped out. Between Walker and Edwin we were getting 9.9 rpg. If we could get some of that back it could save a foul or two on our bigs. You can't always control if shots go in each night but you can control your effort crashing the boards each night.

If it seems like I'm being overly critical of Walker's game it's because I have much higher expectations for him. We saw how good he can be last year.

Last comment, it's really disappointing how Duling has become a complete non factor on offense (3 points in the last 4 games). With his athleticism I feel like we need to be working on some pet plays to get him good looks. Maybe some pick and rolls with Avery or plays designed for him to get lost in the corner and slash for an alley-oop, similar to what we did with Evans his first year here.. I think it would go along way to keeping his confidence up and it's not like teams would gameplan to take his opportunities away from us.

Never saw Duling play in HS, but guessing his physical size overpowered most players he went against ... but now he he has no above-the-rim explosiveness (can't rebound) in the paint and no skill on the perimeter for the college game. Classic tweener.

Not saying he won't get there ... but probably a reach to think he was going to be a major contributor as a freshman.
(This post was last modified: 12-28-2017 11:09 PM by cleveland.)
12-28-2017 11:08 PM
anti-zip Offline
All American

I gotta disagree. He has a ton of explosiveness and plays above the rim. It's nothing physical that's holding him back right now. He's one of the most physically gifted players I've seen on a Kent team. He's just really raw. It seems on defense he goes for the emphatic block every time which often leaves him out of position to rebound and results in unnecessary fouls. Offensively he's just totally lost right now. He doesn't have much of a jumper. He doesn't have a post up game. So he's left with a lot of one on one mid range moves. He does have a pretty nice spin move off a one or two dribble drive but that's really the only one on one offensive move I've seen him display. That's where I think we need to be using his leaping ability to get easy buckets off our more polished offensive players creating. Ie. Pick and rolls and corner slashes for alley-oops, etc. Avery is a very good passer and has developed in to a pretty good slasher. We should be seeing that combination result in more nice looks for the high flyers like Pippen and Duling around the rim.
12-29-2017 12:23 AM
OLNWFLSH Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: KSU
Well 15% from three point range isn't going to get you a win too many times. We're also not drawing enough fouls and committing too many. Foul shooting % has dropped after being really good in first few games. This team needs some work and will struggle on the road. Right now Buffalo and Ball State seem to be the most consistent MAC teams, and the physical nature of UB has given us fits over the past decade.
12-29-2017 08:53 AM
fallsdog Offline
All American

I don’t care what anyone says about the game of basketball. I have always, currently do and will not stop believing that if you gots ta have the bigs. That belief is magnified in the MAC. My friends, Kent doesn’t have the bigs this season.

+3 to anyone who can identify the author and context of the quote about the bigs.
12-29-2017 02:16 PM
Advertisement

Slinkin Street Flash Offline
1st String

(12-29-2017 02:16 PM)fallsdog Wrote:  I don’t care what anyone says about the game of basketball. I have always, currently do and will not stop believing that if you gots ta have the bigs. That belief is magnified in the MAC. My friends, Kent doesn’t have the bigs this season.

+3 to anyone who can identify the author and context of the quote about the bigs.

We got bigs! They just ain't very good. They get beat defensively, then foul. How can Frederick foul out in 13 minutes on the floor? DLR has fouled out of 5 games this year, and against Albany it was his first time he had more than 26 minutes. Dulling is shooting 33% for the year, which is horrible from a big - he should be shooting high-percentage layups. Pippen isn't much better. They might still develop, but right now, they still look like they're playing a high school game
12-29-2017 04:04 PM
cleveland Offline
1st String

(12-29-2017 04:04 PM)Slinkin Street Flash Wrote:  
(12-29-2017 02:16 PM)fallsdog Wrote:  I don’t care what anyone says about the game of basketball. I have always, currently do and will not stop believing that if you gots ta have the bigs. That belief is magnified in the MAC. My friends, Kent doesn’t have the bigs this season.

We got bigs! They just ain't very good. They get beat defensively, then foul. How can Frederick foul out in 13 minutes on the floor? DLR has fouled out of 5 games this year, and against Albany it was his first time he had more than 26 minutes. Dulling is shooting 33% for the year, which is horrible from a big - he should be shooting high-percentage layups. Pippen isn't much better. They might still develop, but right now, they still look like they're playing a high school game

Consistency is ADR's problem ... Kent fans should be happy with his first six games ... and Albany game ... stop comparing him toJHall. He's more like Gerwig or Edwards as Jrs. ... Frederick, on the other hand, should be delivering a lot more, offensively. ... Pippen still doesn't know who he is ... he rebounds like a post guy but is way too soft offensively. ... If he could toughen up, Pippen should get better and better, with two more years ahead. ... Duling is an undersized post guy who desperately needs a mid-range game ... reminds me of that JC guy a couple of years ago (can't remember his name) who hit that wild shot against Akron ... only not nearly as good right now.
12-29-2017 04:41 PM
fallsdog Offline
All American

Darren Goodson. Or as Elton and his bush league editors always wrote...Goodsen. Or maybe it was the other way around.
12-29-2017 06:24 PM
Muskrat Offline
1st String

I thought I heard on the radio a while back that Duling was, in fact, nursing some injury and was playing hurt?
12-30-2017 05:48 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.