Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

A December Night in Vegas
Bookmark and Share
gleadley Offline
1st String

I Root For: GCU
MyBB A December Night in Vegas
GCU fans got our first first-hand experience of the Orleans Arena tonight. The outcome of the game was as it should have been, so no need to discuss that much further. I will say, though, that the Arena itself is a nice building

It was suggested (and I agree) that it's about the size they should've built GCU Arena, pre-5000 seat construction & afterthought 2000 seat upper level expansion. The seats in the Orleans were comfortable enough. The staff was very nice. Bathrooms were clean. The food from concessions was a little sketchy, but edible.

I thought I'd wish the Orleans was closer to the strip. That is until we actually walked the strip today and I was reminded how gross it is. Things I just can't unsee now. Yuck. Overall, the Orleans experience gets a solid "B" from me. Looking forward to returning in March with some/most/all of you hoodlums.
12-28-2017 02:11 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Raider_Lope Offline
2nd String

I Root For: GCU, MTSU
RE: A December Night in Vegas
I watched this on TV and it looked nice. Didn’t seem too big, so it’ll be a nice almost intimate setting for the tournament. I think GCU will bring almost as many fans as the other teams may have had combined, at least this first year. Lots of excitement for the first year going to the conference tourney.

I’m trying to find a way to get out there in March. I live in the Southeast so it’s gonna be a hike. Funny you mentioned the food being less than stellar; on the television coverage, Scotty Williams couldn’t stop talking about the pretzels and cheese steaks. Sheesh. Some nights he gets super off topic and you can hear Barry getting increasingly uninterested and eventually frustrated.

Are there hotels close to the arena but not in the strip that would be easy walking distance and not crazy expensive?
12-28-2017 06:07 PM
gleadley Offline
1st String

I Root For: GCU
I guess it depends on what you want the "easy walking distance" to...

If you want easy walking distance to the arena, I'm pretty sure you just perfectly described the Orleans hotel (i.e. not in the strip, not crazy expensive, etc.)

If you want easy walking distance to the strip, but still close to the arena, keep in mind that the Orleans is 2 miles off the strip. If this is what you're looking for, I'll have to defer to some of the grizzled WAC tournament vets.
12-28-2017 10:48 PM
Advertisement

LopesUp Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Grand Canyon
If your looking for something a bit more upscale and with more nightlife, The Palms is off the strip and exactly 1 mile from the orleans.
12-29-2017 12:04 AM
dancingNMSUaggie Offline
1st String

I Root For: NMSU
I stay at the South point every time I go to the WAC tourney. I hate the hotels on the strip. Stayed at Harrah's the first time I went and it was disgusting. I hear the Orleans is ok.
12-29-2017 01:03 AM
NMSUPistolPete Online
All American

I Root For: NMSU
If you don't like walking two miles to the LV Strip, one can take the free complimentary shuttle from the Orleans Hotel with stops at the Ivory Coast (off the strip) and the High Roller at the LINQ (on the strip). It runs from 9am until 12:30am with pick ups about every 30 to 45 minutes. Last year, I stayed at Bally's and used the shuttle to get to the WAC Tournament; about a 15 minute walk to the pick up point.

Unless you like the bright lights of the LV Strip, I suggest staying off the strip. The hotels on the Strip can get very expensive with three conference tournaments (PAC-12, Mountain West, & WAC) being played that weekend. A lot of school apparel walking the Strip.
(This post was last modified: 12-29-2017 01:32 AM by NMSUPistolPete.)
12-29-2017 01:29 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.