Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Seriously... WTF is wrong with UConn Basketball?
C0|db|00ded Offline
Instrument of Pain

I Root For: Wichita State
I hear the moanings and the jabs at Ollie, but seriously, WTF is up with this team? There is no way a coach can win 6 straight games in the NCAA tournament and suck this bad. You have several star players injured right now correct? Can you not recruit talent to UConn anymore? Does Ollie have any competent assistant coaches or has he filled his staff with family and homies. Did the Big East breakup kill the program? It shouldn't be an excuse but it certainly appears to have done just that - the 2013 national championship being one final trumpet blast before giving up the ghost. Getting blown out by an Auburn is so ******* sickening it makes me furious. Brand-wise it would be like Kentucky getting blown out by Creighton.

T

...03-cool
12-23-2017 10:49 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

M1T4 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Memphis
RE: Seriously... WTF is wrong with UConn Basketball?
Meh
12-23-2017 10:52 PM
sfink16 Offline
All American

I Root For: Temple
(12-23-2017 10:49 PM)C0|db|00ded Wrote:  I hear the moanings and the jabs at Ollie, but seriously, WTF is up with this team? There is no way a coach can win 6 straight games in the NCAA tournament and suck this bad. You have several star players injured right now correct? Can you not recruit talent to UConn anymore? Does Ollie have any competent assistant coaches or has he filled his staff with family and homies. Did the Big East breakup kill the program? It shouldn't be an excuse but it certainly appears to have done just that - the 2013 national championship being one final trumpet blast before giving up the ghost. Getting blown out by an Auburn is so ******* sickening it makes me furious. Brand-wise it would be like Kentucky getting blown out by Creighton.

T

...03-cool

Not being offered by the ACC may have hurt the program as much as the coach. If the AAC can actually climb back to at, near, or above the old Big East, it will programs like UCONN immensely.
12-23-2017 10:53 PM
thespiritof1976 Offline
Ancient Alien Theorist

I Root For: Zeti Reticuli
Good question. Is Ollie not getting recruits ? Is he not coaching them up right ? Memphis and UConn have regressed.
12-23-2017 10:53 PM
KnightNasty Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: UCF
What’s basketball?
12-23-2017 10:54 PM
mustangxc Offline
1st String

I Root For: SMU
Ollie is still pulling top level talent. He just has not been able to maximize that talent once they arrive on campus.
12-23-2017 10:56 PM
Advertisement

pesik Offline
Legend

I Root For: Houston
(12-23-2017 10:49 PM)C0|db|00ded Wrote:  I hear the moanings and the jabs at Ollie, but seriously, WTF is up with this team? There is no way a coach can win 6 straight games in the NCAA tournament and suck this bad. You have several star players injured right now correct? Can you not recruit talent to UConn anymore? Does Ollie have any competent assistant coaches or has he filled his staff with family and homies. Did the Big East breakup kill the program? It shouldn't be an excuse but it certainly appears to have done just that - the 2013 national championship being one final trumpet blast before giving up the ghost. Getting blown out by an Auburn is so ******* sickening it makes me furious. Brand-wise it would be like Kentucky getting blown out by Creighton.

T

...03-cool

coaching and developing are different things

he took a calhoun developed rosters and coached them to a championship..thhat was calhouns championship

he can recruit, uconn is loaded with more espn 100 than anyone in the aac
12-23-2017 11:05 PM
rtaylor Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Bearcats
I think it speaks very highly of UCONN when they have a couple down seasons and everyone who does not have national championships, or really any claim to fame, keep posting threads such as these. 07-coffee3
12-23-2017 11:13 PM
C0|db|00ded Offline
Instrument of Pain

(12-23-2017 10:53 PM)sfink16 Wrote:  

T

...03-cool

Not being offered by the ACC may have hurt the program as much as the coach. If the AAC can actually climb back to at, near, or above the old Big East, it will programs like UCONN immensely.

Why would missing out on a spot in the ACC kill a venerable program like UConn? Did the letter arrive in the mail saying sorry and that afternoon the program announced we now suck thanking alumni and boosters for their efforts and to just not bother? Why has the women's program continued to thrive then?

I mean, I understand there would be a bit of a culture shock going from the original Big East way of basketball operations to the slightly less glamorous AAC, but the program should be strong enough to stand alone and not totally collapse. Yes it will have some shine knocked off of it but it should certainly still be a top 30-40 level shine - at worst.

There are schools in the top 25 that shouldn't be there right now and one of them has UConn's spot. It's really ******* pitiful.

T

...03-cool
12-23-2017 11:13 PM
C0|db|00ded Offline
Instrument of Pain

(12-23-2017 11:05 PM)pesik Wrote:  

T

...03-cool

he took a calhoun developed rosters and coached them to a championship..thhat was calhouns championship

I did not know that. I'm trying to get to the bottom of the real reason we are here talking about this today. Perhaps "Ollie's Championship" was the worst thing that could have ever happened to the program as it makes him very hard to fire. Would UConn Nation gladly hand that trophy back if it made Ollie disappear?

T

...03-cool
12-23-2017 11:18 PM
C0|db|00ded Offline
Instrument of Pain

(12-23-2017 11:13 PM)rtaylor Wrote:  I think it speaks very highly of UCONN when they have a couple down seasons and everyone who does not have national championships, or really any claim to fame, keep posting threads such as these. 07-coffee3

I haven't seen any of those threads. You're certainly not referring to mine because my team has plenty claim and plenty fame.

P7

You're welcome.

Now go away little man, the adults are talking.

T

...03-cool
12-23-2017 11:21 PM
Advertisement

MWC Tex Offline
Heisman

I Root For: MW

T

...03-cool

They are not in the Big East anymore, that is the problem.
12-23-2017 11:49 PM
Huskypride Offline
New Kid on the Block

I Root For: Competitive FB
Alright here is what is wrong with this team. 1 our long time assistant coach left last year. 2 we aren't running a offense with a brain. 3 ollie is being exposed as a bad coach cause the assistant coach left. Ollie cant develop big men. I mean we just got crushed by auburn...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
12-24-2017 01:22 AM
rosewater Offline
Heisman

I Root For: cincy
I watched UConn earlier this year. I was astounded by the amount of poor shots the team put up in a 5 minute period. Either they are a selfish team or an ignorant team. Constantly putting up challenged 3s or driving to the hoop and throwing up a low percentage hook shot.
12-24-2017 07:29 AM
HuskyU Offline
Big East Overlord

I Root For: UCONN
(12-24-2017 07:29 AM)rosewater Wrote:  I watched UConn earlier this year. I was astounded by the amount of poor shots the team put up in a 5 minute period. Either they are a selfish team or an ignorant team. Constantly putting up challenged 3s or driving to the hoop and throwing up a low percentage hook shot.

Both. And Ollie is too much of a bro to fix the problem on the court and/or recruit the right kind of players. We have become Indiana.

#FireOllie
12-24-2017 07:42 AM
tnzazz Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Memphis Tigers!
Sad days for Memphis and UConn bball. Both will return but it will probably be a couple of years.
12-24-2017 08:33 AM
Advertisement

SadderBudweiser Offline
1st String

I Root For: $$$$MU
(12-23-2017 11:18 PM)C0|db|00ded Wrote:  
(12-23-2017 11:05 PM)pesik Wrote:  

T

...03-cool

I did not know that. I'm trying to get to the bottom of the real reason we are here talking about this today. Perhaps "Ollie's Championship" was the worst thing that could have ever happened to the program as it makes him very hard to fire. Would UConn Nation gladly hand that trophy back if it made Ollie disappear?

T

...03-cool

You are getting warmer.

There are those who will blame the demise on the AAC but that blame is totally misplaced. Ollie can and has recuited well but that window is closing.

The guy can’t coach. I’ve watched him stalk the sidelines yelling, screaming, pleading for four years now. All I see is a steady decline.... and no improvement year over year in the poor kids who end up there. Their offense is a mess and their defense s just a collection of good individual efforts by good athletes. The plan is that there is no plan.

They need to pull the plug. Now.
12-24-2017 08:35 AM
C0|db|00ded Offline
Instrument of Pain

To win a national championship (even with someone else's players), it's going to require coaching against some of the best coaches in the country. It goes without saying that there will be hundreds if not thousands of in-game decision made in order to steady the ship and allow the players to execute at the necessary level to bring about the desired results. I also think it's fair to say that UConn's 2013 team wasn't Kentucky'esque.

After looking at Ollie's career, it appears he coached the team a year before the national championship. I was thinking had he won the first year he took the team over, he could have just copied everything Calhoun had been doing running straight off a "recipe for success" if you will. But in the second year, his fingerprints would start showing up in different places. I also just noticed that he was the conference tournament champion in 2015-16 which gives him a little more credit still.

There is no question that he'd be lucky if he was 3/4 the coach of a Calhoun, but there's a chance he is better than advertised. Calhoun would certainly not be looking to tank the program after his departure and could have hand picked any available coach in the nation upon retirement. He chose Ollie. There's got to be a reason. Calhoun has made enumerable wise decisions during his tenure at UConn. Yes, Ollie could be a monumental mistake, but the probabilities are low that he was the wrong man for the job at the time Calhoun gave his blessing.

I think I'm ready to offer my diagnosis. *drum roll*

I believe that after UConn separated from the old Big East, Ollie was faced with a more limited pool of high caliber recruits. He still got some 4 star players but they weren't the kind of 4 star players he was used to getting. In other words, he got the 4 star athlete with work ethic or attitude issues that every other major program passed on. These are the players that fill the rosters of the bottom dwellers in every major conference like K-State, Auburn, Northwestern, Rutgers, etc. They still look legit on the outside, but the elevator doesn't go all the way to the top floor. I can assure you that every year there are many 2-3 star recruits that end up way more helpful to a team's overall success than many 4 stars. In fact, there are some highly rated recruits that would actually be cancerous to a team. Chemistry is everything you know.

So instead of reacting to the change in the recruiting landscape, Ollie tried to maintain the appearance of a certain pedigree of athlete; and while the average team rating didn't drop much, the important intangible rating (the one that Marshall is a master at deciphering) plummeted. Now Ollie finds himself with a team of physically talented, incohesive players that exhibit low BBIQ on a nightly basis and completely fold under pressure. This causes Ollie to run up and down the sidelines screaming all night (which further exacerbates the problem).

How did I do?

T

...03-cool
12-24-2017 09:51 AM
sfink16 Offline
All American

I Root For: Temple
(12-24-2017 09:51 AM)C0|db|00ded Wrote:  To win a national championship (even with someone else's players), it's going to require coaching against some of the best coaches in the country. It goes without saying that there will be hundreds if not thousands of in-game decision made in order to steady the ship and allow the players to execute at the necessary level to bring about the desired results. I also think it's fair to say that UConn's 2013 team wasn't Kentucky'esque.

After looking at Ollie's career, it appears he coached the team a year before the national championship. I was thinking had he won the first year he took the team over, he could have just copied everything Calhoun had been doing running straight off a "recipe for success" if you will. But in the second year, his fingerprints would start showing up in different places. I also just noticed that he was the conference tournament champion in 2015-16 which gives him a little more credit still.

There is no question that he'd be lucky if he was 3/4 the coach of a Calhoun, but there's a chance he is better than advertised. Calhoun would certainly not be looking to tank the program after his departure and could have hand picked any available coach in the nation upon retirement. He chose Ollie. There's got to be a reason. Calhoun has made enumerable wise decisions during his tenure at UConn. Yes, Ollie could be a monumental mistake, but the probabilities are low that he was the wrong man for the job at the time Calhoun gave his blessing.

I believe that after UConn separated from the old Big East, Ollie was faced with a more limited pool of high caliber recruits. He still got some 4 star players but they weren't the kind of 4 star players he was used to getting. In other words, he got the 4 star athlete with work ethic or attitude issues that every other major program passed on. These are the players that fill the rosters of the bottom dwellers in every major conference like K-State, Auburn, Northwestern, Rutgers, etc. They still look legit on the outside, but the elevator doesn't go all the way to the top floor. I can assure you that every year there are many 2-3 star recruits that end up way more helpful to a team's overall success than many 4 stars. In fact, there are some highly rated recruits that would actually be cancerous to a team. Chemistry is everything you know.

So instead of reacting to the change in the recruiting landscape, Ollie tried to maintain the appearance of a certain pedigree of athlete; and while the average team rating didn't drop much, the important intangible rating (the one that Marshall is a master at deciphering) plummeted. Now Ollie finds himself with a team of physically talented, incohesive players that exhibit low BBIQ on a nightly basis and completely fold under pressure. This causes Ollie to run up and down the sidelines screaming all night (which further exacerbates the problem).

How did I do?

T

...03-cool

You did fine but we are all speculating in any case. I too forgot that it was Ollie's second year at the helm of the team. I think that they were on probation the first year.

So, I'll add that the school has not fully recovered from probation and the lost reputation that came with it.

Also, they have not come close to matching the mental and physical toughness of Kemba Walker at the point. He had the will to do whatever was needed to carry the team over the top. The point is such an important position, the leader/QB if you will, on teams in college (and pro) basketball these days. You can get by with weaknesses at other positions possibly, but not at the point for playing against top level D1 talent.
12-24-2017 10:39 AM
HuskyU Offline
Big East Overlord

I Root For: UCONN
(12-24-2017 10:39 AM)sfink16 Wrote:  
(12-24-2017 09:51 AM)C0|db|00ded Wrote:  To win a national championship (even with someone else's players), it's going to require coaching against some of the best coaches in the country. It goes without saying that there will be hundreds if not thousands of in-game decision made in order to steady the ship and allow the players to execute at the necessary level to bring about the desired results. I also think it's fair to say that UConn's 2013 team wasn't Kentucky'esque.

How did I do?

T

...03-cool

You did fine but we are all speculating in any case. I too forgot that it was Ollie's second year at the helm of the team. I think that they were on probation the first year.

So, I'll add that the school has not fully recovered from probation and the lost reputation that came with it.

Also, they have not come close to matching the mental and physical toughness of Kemba Walker at the point. He had the will to do whatever was needed to carry the team over the top. The point is such an important position, the leader/QB if you will, on teams in college (and pro) basketball these days. You can get by with weaknesses at other positions possibly, but not at the point for playing against top level D1 talent.

[Image: o-SHABAZZ-NAPIER-facebook.jpg]
12-24-2017 10:52 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.