Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

MVSU Game
Bookmark and Share
Raider_Lope Offline
2nd String

I Root For: GCU, MTSU
MVSU Game
One of the problems I have with an extremely weak non-conference schedule is that playing bad opponents tends to inspire lackluster performances. Tonight, the guys are playing a winless team in Mississippi Valley State, and the disparity in talent level can't be overstated. That being said, the Lopes are lowering their level of play to that of the competition, and engaging in run-and-gun basketball with infrequent attempts to settle into an offense and run plays. If the Delta Devils could shoot with any accuracy, they'd be winning. Meanwhile, the Lopes are missing layups. Sheer athletic talent will win this game for Canyon, purely through attrition. But the lack of competition is inspiring laziness and poor play.

Oh, and the icing on the cake? Vernon hurt his shoulder pretty badly a few minutes ago. He had to leave for the locker room with a trainer, and seemed to be in a tremendous amount of pain.
12-18-2017 09:50 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

NMSUPistolPete Offline
All American

I Root For: NMSU
RE: MVSU Game
Very boring game. I lost interest after the first 10 minutes.
12-19-2017 03:16 PM
gleadley Offline
1st String

I Root For: GCU
(12-19-2017 03:16 PM)NMSUPistolPete Wrote:  Very boring game. I lost interest after the first 10 minutes.

I get the sense that some Lopes fans started feeling the same about this season after just 10 games. Uninspired scheduling. Largely uninspired play on the floor. Mostly uninspiring results.

Hoping the upcoming run of road games and conference play spark some kind of energy around this team and program, because it all feels very blah right now.
12-19-2017 04:02 PM
Raider_Lope Offline
2nd String

(12-19-2017 04:02 PM)gleadley Wrote:  
(12-19-2017 03:16 PM)NMSUPistolPete Wrote:  Very boring game. I lost interest after the first 10 minutes.

I get the sense that some Lopes fans started feeling the same about this season after just 10 games. Uninspired scheduling. Largely uninspired play on the floor. Mostly uninspiring results.

Hoping the upcoming run of road games and conference play spark some kind of energy around this team and program, because it all feels very blah right now.

I understand that we have to play at least 10 cupcake games a year to guarantee a 20 win season, but how impressive is that record when it means to spent the majority of your time beating up on lesser opponents. Our schedule pretty much preys on the SWAC and MEAC. I know it’s ridiculously hard to get quality opponents to come out to Phoenix. It’s also hard to get quality opponents to put us on their home schedule. I think I this is the same struggle that other mid majors have... ask Illinois State for example. They had a 20 win season, but due to not getting enough strength of schedule in a one bid league, they were left going to the NIT.

I support my school and watch every game. It’s just hard to see this schedule style really leading to an improved team. You get better by playing better opponents. Yeah we have Louisville and Illinois, and we already played St John’s. Still though, the cupcakes catch up with you.
12-19-2017 05:46 PM
Advertisement

ProfScott Offline
Special Teams

(12-19-2017 05:46 PM)Raider_Lope Wrote:  
(12-19-2017 04:02 PM)gleadley Wrote:  

I understand that we have to play at least 10 cupcake games a year to guarantee a 20 win season, but how impressive is that record when it means to spent the majority of your time beating up on lesser opponents. Our schedule pretty much preys on the SWAC and MEAC. I know it’s ridiculously hard to get quality opponents to come out to Phoenix. It’s also hard to get quality opponents to put us on their home schedule. I think I this is the same struggle that other mid majors have... ask Illinois State for example. They had a 20 win season, but due to not getting enough strength of schedule in a one bid league, they were left going to the NIT.

I support my school and watch every game. It’s just hard to see this schedule style really leading to an improved team. You get better by playing better opponents. Yeah we have Louisville and Illinois, and we already played St John’s. Still though, the cupcakes catch up with you.
I am in total agreement with these sentiments. If there is a silver lining to a cupcake schedule its that you can play your freshmen more than you might otherwise. However, I'd much rather never see MVSU ever again. What a boring, uninspiring game. The best part of the game was the last 3-4 minutes when Majerle let the end of the bench play.
Anyway, we have now played MVSU 3 times in 5 years. I'd be happy to never, ever see them again!!
12-19-2017 08:11 PM
NMSUPistolPete Offline
All American

I Root For: NMSU
I think Majerle needs to get GCU into one of the holiday tournaments next season. NMSU is in the Diamond Head Classic over Christmas. And, CSUB played in the final Alaskan Shootout during Thanksgiving. There are a lot of holiday tournaments with quality opponents. It's probably better to be on the road while the Havoc is on break anyway.
12-19-2017 08:59 PM
ProfScott Offline
Special Teams

(12-19-2017 08:59 PM)NMSUPistolPete Wrote:  I think Majerle needs to get GCU into one of the holiday tournaments next season. NMSU is in the Diamond Head Classic over Christmas. And, CSUB played in the final Alaskan Shootout during Thanksgiving. There are a lot of holiday tournaments with quality opponents. It's probably better to be on the road while the Havoc is on break anyway.
We actually did play in a holiday tournament two years ago in Las Vegas. We beat Houston and Marshall to take the tourney championship. Not sure why we haven't been able to schedule something similar these past two years.
12-19-2017 09:17 PM
Raider_Lope Offline
2nd String

(12-19-2017 09:17 PM)ProfScott Wrote:  
(12-19-2017 08:59 PM)NMSUPistolPete Wrote:  I think Majerle needs to get GCU into one of the holiday tournaments next season. NMSU is in the Diamond Head Classic over Christmas. And, CSUB played in the final Alaskan Shootout during Thanksgiving. There are a lot of holiday tournaments with quality opponents. It's probably better to be on the road while the Havoc is on break anyway.
We actually did play in a holiday tournament two years ago in Las Vegas. We beat Houston and Marshall to take the tourney championship. Not sure why we haven't been able to schedule something similar these past two years.

I remember that tournament. It was one of several quality wins, along with San Diego State, NMSU, and an excellent showing against Louisville. This year we played in the Grand Canyon Classic... and lost. San Diego was a good team, but not an amazing team. GCU does play better against tougher competition. They played their best game of the year against Boise.

Depending on how this season goes, they may get an invite to a quality tournament either at the holiday break or at the season tip off.
12-19-2017 09:44 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.