Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Student Buses to Frisco
Bookmark and Share
jmufbs Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: JMU
Student Buses to Frisco
Seems like that would be a fun trip - is the Duke Club organizing this option for students/ DC 25 members ?
12-17-2017 02:22 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Dukester Offline

RE: Student Buses to Frisco
(12-17-2017 02:22 PM)jmufbs Wrote:  Seems like that would be a fun trip - is the Duke Club organizing this option for students/ DC 25 members ?

Isn't it like a 15-16 hour trip? 04-jawdrop
12-17-2017 02:30 PM
HyperDuke Offline
Hall of Famer

Dukester, there were loads of students/young alums who drove in last time!
12-17-2017 02:32 PM
jmufbs Offline
Special Teams

(12-17-2017 02:32 PM)HyperDuke Wrote:  Dukester, there were loads of students/young alums who drove in last time!

Correct.. there were many who drove themselves because the school did not organize anything for them.. and with flights sucking this year, they need to make this happen - hopefully soon. I would have done it as a student... lots of fun and with technology these days time flies on a bus!
12-17-2017 02:50 PM
Dukester Offline

That’s impressive.

I guess when you have a month off that’s doable.

I think that would almost cost me a week of vacation and a ton of gas.

I guess buses these days have Internet access.
12-17-2017 02:56 PM
HyperDuke Offline
Hall of Famer

(12-17-2017 02:56 PM)Dukester Wrote:  That’s impressive.

Yeah, MRDs bussed over two days last year. Think they stayed overnight in a Memphis or Arkansas or something.
12-17-2017 03:06 PM
Advertisement

HyperDuke Offline
Hall of Famer

I remember being so impressed by some current students driving halfway across the country last time, I was forcing food & drink on them at the tailgate. Hooked up some YSU students too.
12-17-2017 03:08 PM
Dukester Offline

(12-17-2017 03:06 PM)HyperDuke Wrote:  
(12-17-2017 02:56 PM)Dukester Wrote:  That’s impressive.

Yeah, MRDs bussed over two days last year. Think they stayed overnight in a Memphis or Arkansas or something.

Speaking of the band - didn’ t you have a concern about that last year?
12-17-2017 03:09 PM
HyperDuke Offline
Hall of Famer

I thought it was a viable solution in order to bring the whole band. But they didn't bring the whole band. With 7000 tickets available to the school, they wouldn't allocate 800 so they could have the whole band there. It was pitiful.

Oh, you're teasing me. I get it now.
12-17-2017 03:11 PM
JMURocks Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: James Madison
Any fundraising or other action to support more band members in Frisco would need to happen very quickly.

Believe the championship manual says JMU has roughly 10 days (the 28th), to provide them the full list of everyone coming ... team, band, cheerleaders, etc.
12-17-2017 03:13 PM
Dukester Offline

(12-17-2017 03:11 PM)HyperDuke Wrote:  I thought it was a viable solution in order to bring the whole band. But they didn't bring the whole band. With 7000 tickets available to the school, they wouldn't allocate 800 so they could have the whole band there. It was pitiful.

Oh, you're teasing me. I get it now.

Nope, wasn't teasing. Recalled an issue, but not specifically what it was. Was't even sure it was this event...
12-17-2017 03:17 PM
Advertisement

HyperDuke Offline
Hall of Famer

JMU not interested in financial support to send full band. Stonewalled last year. For them, they can't justify the tickets. I kinda understand it this year vs. NDSU, but it was inexcusable last year vs. YSU.
12-17-2017 03:17 PM
Dukester Offline

(12-17-2017 03:17 PM)HyperDuke Wrote:  JMU not interested in financial support to send full band. Stonewalled last year. For them, they can't justify the tickets. I kinda understand it this year vs. NDSU, but it was inexcusable last year vs. YSU.

Actually it seamed like the had a separate section for the bands in one endzone. Could they have expanded that section last year?

Perhaps this is better for the ticket thread, but have we found out what allotments this year, and is the endzone finished?
(This post was last modified: 12-17-2017 03:21 PM by Dukester.)
12-17-2017 03:20 PM
HyperDuke Offline
Hall of Famer

The endzone dedicated for the bands is not large enough seating for even half the MRDs. JMU unwilling to allocate additional seats to bring full band, not to mention the added cost of sending the whole group. But ignore that last part, because they stand by their reasoning that they can't spare the additional ~450 seats to house the full band at the game.
12-17-2017 03:30 PM
JMURocks Offline
Hall of Famer

Championship manual states each school is provided up to 350 tickets at no charge for the bands. The stage occupies an entire endzone, and they bring in bleachers as needed to accomodate. The opposite endzone seats at least 2,600 people, and thats at a lowered capacity.

JMU should send a full 350, and let the NCAA sort out the logistics of making sure the seats are there for them. “Not enough tickets” doesn’t sound valid to me, though they would need to provide transportation, housing, and food.
12-17-2017 03:44 PM
RamDawg Offline
1st String

I Root For: JMU VCU
(12-17-2017 03:20 PM)Dukester Wrote:  
(12-17-2017 03:17 PM)HyperDuke Wrote:  JMU not interested in financial support to send full band. Stonewalled last year. For them, they can't justify the tickets. I kinda understand it this year vs. NDSU, but it was inexcusable last year vs. YSU.

Actually it seamed like the had a separate section for the bands in one endzone. Could they have expanded that section last year?

Perhaps this is better for the ticket thread, but have we found out what allotments this year, and is the endzone finished?

Yes, the end zone seating is temp bleachers sitting on the stage. From what I saw last year, they could have put in a lot of additional "seating" I think it's more about "we don't want to" than "it isn't possible"
12-17-2017 03:52 PM
Advertisement

HyperDuke Offline
Hall of Famer

And administrators who don't care enough to push those who can do it.
12-17-2017 03:57 PM
RamDawg Offline
1st String

I Root For: JMU VCU
(12-17-2017 03:44 PM)JMURocks Wrote:  Championship manual states each school is provided up to 350 tickets at no charge for the bands. The stage occupies an entire endzone, and they bring in bleachers as needed to accomodate. The opposite endzone seats at least 2,600 people, and thats at a lowered capacity.

JMU should send a full 350, and let the NCAA sort out the logistics of making sure the seats are there for them. “Not enough tickets” doesn’t sound valid to me, though they would need to provide transportation, housing, and food.

So JMU is sending 250 MRD's, NCAA allows 350. So what are we doing with the other 100 available tickets?
12-17-2017 03:57 PM
JMURocks Offline
Hall of Famer

(12-17-2017 03:57 PM)RamDawg Wrote:  
(12-17-2017 03:44 PM)JMURocks Wrote:  Championship manual states each school is provided up to 350 tickets at no charge for the bands. The stage occupies an entire endzone, and they bring in bleachers as needed to accomodate. The opposite endzone seats at least 2,600 people, and thats at a lowered capacity.

So JMU is sending 250 MRD's, NCAA allows 350. So what are we doing with the other 100 available tickets?

Those won’t be issued or used by anyone. NCAA will just install fewer bleachers for the bands in the end zone. It’s a wasted opportunity if we don’t send them.
12-17-2017 04:05 PM
91Alum Offline
1st String

I Root For: JMU/ND
(12-17-2017 03:30 PM)HyperDuke Wrote:  The endzone dedicated for the bands is not large enough seating for even half the MRDs. JMU unwilling to allocate additional seats to bring full band, not to mention the added cost of sending the whole group. But ignore that last part, because they stand by their reasoning that they can't spare the additional ~450 seats to house the full band at the game.

Listen, I get that people are passionate about the band, but the level of support JMU gives the MRDs is beyond ample, by any reasonable standard.

I thought the smaller band we sent last year did a fabulous job. Not one Billy Joel song, no loudspeakers, and nary a piano solo last year either!

[Image: fonziejumpsshark3.gif]
12-17-2017 04:34 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.