Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

SIU with really serious issues
Bookmark and Share
niu16 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: biu
SIU with really serious issues
Their expecting less than 1000 freshman next year.

http://thesouthern.com/news/local/siu/si...e-featured
12-15-2017 05:16 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Stpetebeachrocketfan Offline
1st String

I Root For: Toledo
RE: SIU with really serious issues
The restructuring they are discussing and the ideas on new programs sure sound like the type of programs students are looking for these days. Those universities that hit rock bottom and make changes the earliest will recover the soonest.
12-15-2017 07:43 AM
JB04 Offline
1st String

I Root For: NIU
NIU has proximity to Chicagoland, which give it an advantage in the fight for students versus the other directional schools. Unfortunately, IL state schools are just not in style right now. 20 years ago most high school kids went to one of the 6/7, now kids are jumping states or going private.

Also, I hate saying this but although NIU has proximity, we really have to overcome the NW part of DeKalb. It doesn't look or feel like college....I stopped at 7-11 to get gas after a basketball game a couple weeks ago and lets just say I didn't stop in to get a slurpee for the kids. That area needs a college feel where students wonder around to coffee shops, bars, fun non-chain fast food restaurants, etc. it's sad that NIU has basically one "college bar/restaurant" with fattys. Meh....I'll stop now because I know people are going to criticize this post somehow
(This post was last modified: 12-15-2017 07:47 AM by JB04.)
12-15-2017 07:46 AM
IWokeUpLikeThis Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: NIU, Chicago St
I remember 10 years ago SIU was rated as the nation’s #2 party school behind Arizona St. They “cleaned up” but lost their identity and lifeblood of students doing so.
12-15-2017 03:07 PM
NIU1981 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Peace & Equity
SIU is talking about the same kind of streamlining and restructuring that Doug Baker did here over the last four years. His hiring foibles aside, Dr. Baker did a lot of heavy lifting in an area that is never fun, i.e. cutting stuff. Painful but necessary, and even more so if pending tax reform is passed with its associated decrease in revenue collected.

Also, Trustee Joel Sambursky was the SIU quarterback who came within a two point conversion of beating us in 2004.
(This post was last modified: 12-15-2017 03:26 PM by NIU1981.)
12-15-2017 03:25 PM
nucyberdawg Offline
2nd String

(12-15-2017 07:46 AM)JB04 Wrote:  NIU has proximity to Chicagoland, which give it an advantage in the fight for students versus the other directional schools. Unfortunately, IL state schools are just not in style right now. 20 years ago most high school kids went to one of the 6/7, now kids are jumping states or going private.

Also, I hate saying this but although NIU has proximity, we really have to overcome the NW part of DeKalb. It doesn't look or feel like college....I stopped at 7-11 to get gas after a basketball game a couple weeks ago and lets just say I didn't stop in to get a slurpee for the kids. That area needs a college feel where students wonder around to coffee shops, bars, fun non-chain fast food restaurants, etc. it's sad that NIU has basically one "college bar/restaurant" with fattys. Meh....I'll stop now because I know people are going to criticize this post somehow

I understand where you are coming from re: NW DeKalb. However, KEEP THIS IN MIND : NW DeKalb is not the center of the universe nor NIU. Several aspects of DeKalb and NIU today are better than years ago.

I lived in Suburban Estates Apartments on Twombly when first opened in 1965/66. It was nothing to write home about then nor is it now. I visited my old stomping grounds each homecoming weekend. I also lived on Greenbrier in what was frat row and it was marginal at best by many standards.

Times change. However IMHO not all that much has changed along N Glidden except for more undesirables.

There are more significant and urgent priorities other than amenities lacking in NW DeKalb.

Many different factors contribute to enrollment declines across IL Universities. While each state school may have its unique variables one thing is a constant. The number of Illinois HS graduates is dropping as is state population.
(This post was last modified: 12-15-2017 03:47 PM by nucyberdawg.)
12-15-2017 03:45 PM
Advertisement

dogdangit Offline
2nd String

(12-15-2017 03:45 PM)nucyberdawg Wrote:  
(12-15-2017 07:46 AM)JB04 Wrote:  NIU has proximity to Chicagoland, which give it an advantage in the fight for students versus the other directional schools. Unfortunately, IL state schools are just not in style right now. 20 years ago most high school kids went to one of the 6/7, now kids are jumping states or going private.

I understand where you are coming from re: NW DeKalb. However, KEEP THIS IN MIND : NW DeKalb is not the center of the universe nor NIU. Several aspects of DeKalb and NIU today are better than years ago.

I lived in Suburban Estates Apartments on Twombly when first opened in 1965/66. It was nothing to write home about then nor is it now. I visited my old stomping grounds each homecoming weekend. I also lived on Greenbrier in what was frat row and it was marginal at best by many standards.

Times change. However IMHO not all that much has changed along N Glidden except for more undesirables.

There are more significant and urgent priorities other than amenities lacking in NW DeKalb.

Many different factors contribute to enrollment declines across IL Universities. While each state school may have its unique variables one thing is a constant. The number of Illinois HS graduates is dropping as is state population.

Here's how most students are feeling. Pissed. Every year enrollment declines, that opens up more housing for section 8. Say what you want about them, but bottom line is that they don't help the school at all. This year we had 7 weekends in a row with shootings. It finally took 4 municipal police departments along with the state police and the Illinois National Guard patrolling the area to have one shooting free weekend (there was a shooting the Tuesday after though).

Every single NIU student knows that the 7-11 is the most dangerous part of DeKalb. Just ask any student about "hey there man", a local bum who comes up to you or your car and asks for $3 so he can use it to buy drugs.

After weeks of meetings with students, residents and the police, what was the city's solution? Parking. Restrict overnight parking, get rid of free parking close to campus (probably to make up for the city's $1 million deficit), make street parking for permitted residents only etc.
Currently NIU residence halls are on a 24 hour lock down after a someone was held up at gunpoint inside Stevenson. I have a friend who works at one of the larger property management companies who told me that he's had many students turn in their keys and drop out of NIU over concerns about their safety. So while yes, NW DeKalb is not the center of the universe, its not helping NIU one bit.
12-15-2017 05:21 PM
Dtownboys Offline
1st String

(12-15-2017 05:21 PM)dogdangit Wrote:  

Here's how most students are feeling. Pissed. Every year enrollment declines, that opens up more housing for section 8. Say what you want about them, but bottom line is that they don't help the school at all. This year we had 7 weekends in a row with shootings. It finally took 4 municipal police departments along with the state police and the Illinois National Guard patrolling the area to have one shooting free weekend (there was a shooting the Tuesday after though).

Every single NIU student knows that the 7-11 is the most dangerous part of DeKalb. Just ask any student about "hey there man", a local bum who comes up to you or your car and asks for $3 so he can use it to buy drugs.

After weeks of meetings with students, residents and the police, what was the city's solution? Parking. Restrict overnight parking, get rid of free parking close to campus (probably to make up for the city's $1 million deficit), make street parking for permitted residents only etc.
Currently NIU residence halls are on a 24 hour lock down after a someone was held up at gunpoint inside Stevenson. I have a friend who works at one of the larger property management companies who told me that he's had many students turn in their keys and drop out of NIU over concerns about their safety. So while yes, NW DeKalb is not the center of the universe, its not helping NIU one bit.

Niu has ignored the problems in the nw part of town for years. The city has also allowed things to get worse. However, parking isn't the only solution that has been brought up. There's an effort to revitalize the entire area. The city bought a building and plans to demolish it. It won't be easy to fix the area and both the city and niu need to step things up.
(This post was last modified: 12-15-2017 06:29 PM by Dtownboys.)
12-15-2017 06:28 PM
PrideinthePack2 Offline
Special Teams

The 7-11 on Annie G?

Nothing but trash hangs out there.
12-15-2017 08:42 PM
NIUSox10 Offline
All American

I Root For: NIU, White Sox
(12-15-2017 05:21 PM)dogdangit Wrote:  

Thats really sad to hear.
12-15-2017 09:24 PM
randyfensfanclub1 Offline
All American

Kids don't want a worthless education of directional schools not named NIU. We are a notch above. But all Illinois public schools outside of UI have fell a notch or 2 recently.Kids are going out of state and paying the same at more recognized schools, better campus experience/life, better locale.
12-15-2017 10:07 PM
Advertisement

nucyberdawg Offline
2nd String

I think its unfair and untrue that DeKalb police and NIU have ignored the problems associated with many of those residing in surrounding areas I once called home.
12-15-2017 10:55 PM
OldTtimeNIU Offline
1st String

Perception is reality....unfortunately

Let me say this...not all Section 8 people are bad people. And if students would quit providing a market for drugs the gangs would not come to to wn
12-15-2017 11:22 PM
PrideinthePack2 Offline
Special Teams

(12-15-2017 10:55 PM)nucyberdawg Wrote:  I think its unfair and untrue that DeKalb police and NIU have ignored the problems associated with many of those residing in surrounding areas I once called home.

In today’s climate officers aren’t as willing to stick their neck out for fear of lawsuits or worse prison time. They don’t want to be the top story on the evening news. You see 100% legally justified shootings happen and it still leads to officers losing their job and branded as a racist by the torch mob. PAnd don’t even get me started on the justice system. It’s a joke. Catch and release. If the system doesn’t give a damn, and the lynch mob is waiting for any mistake to foam at the mouth, why should the officers care? The only thing that matters is payday and getting home safe. Let the savages roam free.
12-16-2017 08:28 AM
NIUfrank Offline
Special Teams

Wow I didn't realize how ghetto it got there. Hard to change that perception. You think it's locals living there? I always thought it was one and done types bringing their friends from the hood.
12-16-2017 08:38 AM
PrideinthePack2 Offline
Special Teams

(12-16-2017 08:38 AM)NIUfrank Wrote:  Wow I didn't realize how ghetto it got there. Hard to change that perception. You think it's locals living there? I always thought it was one and done types bringing their friends from the hood.

That too. I lived in Grant not too many years ago and it was a zoo. A lot of people didn’t even make it to a second semester, let alone a second year.
12-16-2017 08:40 AM
Advertisement

NIUfrank Offline
Special Teams

(12-15-2017 11:22 PM)OldTtimeNIU Wrote:  Perception is reality....unfortunately

Let me say this...not all Section 8 people are bad people. And if students would quit providing a market for drugs the gangs would not come to to wn

students don't deal with the local thugs for drugs.
12-16-2017 08:42 AM
nucyberdawg Offline
2nd String

I read in Chronicle recently of an arrest made in Georgia of suspects wanted in DeKalb for firing weapons. Law enforcement must be aware and taking some action on occasion against criminal elements Who wooda ever thunk sleepy and safe DeKalb would ever foster/tolerate such thuggery. The market for drugs and the accompanying crime is a sad an endless loop in much of USA.

I remember as a classroom teacher in 70's having local cops come to my suburban classroom once a week in spring as part of the DARE program. Little has changed for the better and probably worse. It knows no boundaries. Look at overdose deaths reported in Naperville area. Dealers go where demand is high and cash is available.
(This post was last modified: 12-16-2017 09:03 AM by nucyberdawg.)
12-16-2017 08:55 AM
DogPoundNorth Offline
Coach Carey Loves His Wife

NIU is one of the top 100 safest schools in America

http://northernpublicradio.org/post/niu-...es-america
12-16-2017 08:59 AM
NIUfrank Offline
Special Teams

(12-16-2017 08:40 AM)PrideinthePack2 Wrote:  
(12-16-2017 08:38 AM)NIUfrank Wrote:  Wow I didn't realize how ghetto it got there. Hard to change that perception. You think it's locals living there? I always thought it was one and done types bringing their friends from the hood.

That too. I lived in Grant not too many years ago and it was a zoo. A lot of people didn’t even make it to a second semester, let alone a second year.

Yeah kind of what I remember. I always wanted to try Harolds chicken by the vcb but it looked dangerous haha. But second semester honestly looked like there was less activity around there.
12-16-2017 09:26 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.