Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Who's on YOUR list?
Bookmark and Share
bcunn3128 Away
Heisman

I Root For: U of Toledo
Who's on YOUR list?
If UCF really wants Candle, then I think he's gone...and not even I will fault him for moving on. He didn't let his career become a side show during the last weeks of the season or a distraction for the MACC game, and I really appreciate that.

So, let's do what I'm sure Mike O'Brien has already done...who's on your list to replace Candle? And let's be reasonable...we know what kind of $$$ is available, so try not to over-reach (i.e., don't put Les Miles on your list).

I know there will be an argument for "consistency", and thus someone from the current staff. Not sure I completely agree unless that person is vetted against a couple outside candidates, as well. If Candle leaves, my guess is the early signing period will be just short of a flop for us, as many of our verbals would follow Candle...so, I don't think a new hire would need to be made too quickly, as whomever it is will be filling their class in the Spring, not in a couple weeks. Just my opinion.

But I digress...who do you think should be the next HC?
12-04-2017 08:24 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

BDV27 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Toledo Rockets
RE: Who's on YOUR list?
(12-04-2017 08:24 AM)bcunn3128 Wrote:  If UCF really wants Candle, then I think he's gone...and not even I will fault him for moving on. He didn't let his career become a side show during the last weeks of the season or a distraction for the MACC game, and I really appreciate that.

So, let's do what I'm sure Mike O'Brien has already done...who's on your list to replace Candle? And let's be reasonable...we know what kind of $$$ is available, so try not to over-reach (i.e., don't put Les Miles on your list).

I know there will be an argument for "consistency", and thus someone from the current staff. Not sure I completely agree unless that person is vetted against a couple outside candidates, as well. If Candle leaves, my guess is the early signing period will be just short of a flop for us, as many of our verbals would follow Candle...so, I don't think a new hire would need to be made too quickly, as whomever it is will be filling their class in the Spring, not in a couple weeks. Just my opinion.

Craig Kuligowski ( Rocket Alum and current Miami FL Asst Head Coach and DL Coach) Or Matt Eberflus ( Rocket Alum and current Dallas Cowboy LB Coach) Not sure about their interest, as they may be on the fast track for bigger jobs, but hey would be perfect fits here if they wanted to come back home to coach.
12-04-2017 08:48 AM
TampaRocket Offline
Heisman

(12-04-2017 08:48 AM)BDV27 Wrote:  
(12-04-2017 08:24 AM)bcunn3128 Wrote:  If UCF really wants Candle, then I think he's gone...and not even I will fault him for moving on. He didn't let his career become a side show during the last weeks of the season or a distraction for the MACC game, and I really appreciate that.

Craig Kuligowski ( Rocket Alum and current Miami FL Asst Head Coach and DL Coach) Or Matt Eberflus ( Rocket Alum and current Dallas Cowboy LB Coach) Not sure about their interest, as they may be on the fast track for bigger jobs, but hey would be perfect fits here if they wanted to come back home to coach.

I'm with you, but I doubt either of them would be realistic candidates. Spoke with Flus a few years ago and he mentioned that he has no interest in coaching at the college level again. At the time, he was thinking NFL DC would be his next step. Nothing against Toledo, but I doubt they would leave what they have in Dallas to head back north.
12-04-2017 10:41 AM
Toledo_Storm Offline
Water Engineer

Tom Manning
Jon Heacock
Bruce Gradkowski
Brian Wright
12-04-2017 10:44 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
FMRocket Offline
All American

I Root For: UT Blue & Gold
Be like Ohio (Frank Solich), entice Gary Pinkel out of retirement ( health permitting)...
Offer him a cool $ 1,000,000 a year and let him retire here at UT with a less stressful gig, and having immediate family that reside close by in the Toledo area...
12-04-2017 10:56 AM
eastisbest Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Toledo
Be like BG and dip into the Texas High School football ranks, get Billy Bob Thornton.
12-04-2017 11:59 AM
Advertisement

Rocket75 Offline
1st String

Matthew McConaughey played for Texas and was head coach at Marshall (in the movies). I think he will be the new Defensive Coordinator at BG.
12-04-2017 12:39 PM
Boca Rocket Offline
Legend

I Root For:
(12-04-2017 12:39 PM)Rocket75 Wrote:  Matthew McConaughey played for Texas and was head coach at Marshall (in the movies). I think he will be the new Defensive Coordinator at BG.

Probably thought they were hurting and he could help.
12-04-2017 12:46 PM
UofToledoFans Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Toledo and G5
Gary Pinkel
12-04-2017 01:01 PM
Rocket_Fanatic Online
Heisman

I Root For: Toledo!
The name I hear a lot while tailgating is Tom Manning
12-04-2017 01:10 PM
San Giuseppe Jato Rocket Offline
1st String

I Root For: il Rockets
Whoa!

I think the question is; not if UCF wants Candle. It's if Candle wants UCF.

No disrespect to the Golden Knights but's it not exactly a step up.
(This post was last modified: 12-04-2017 01:25 PM by San Giuseppe Jato Rocket.)
12-04-2017 01:25 PM
Advertisement

bcunn3128 Away
Heisman

(12-04-2017 01:25 PM)San Giuseppe Jato Rocket Wrote:  Whoa!

I think the question is; not if UCF wants Candle. It's if Candle wants UCF.

No disrespect to the Golden Knights but's it not exactly a step up.

A lot more salary money, not just for the HC but to split amongst the staff as well...plus more money in the football ops budget...plus a program that is in the top 20 and going to the Access Bowl...and, as noted elsewhere, UCF is sitting on what would be the 49th best recruiting class in the country...those are all things that suggest to me that it's quite a bit of a step up from Toledo. I wish it wasn't that big a difference, but it is. We can laugh about how that program was when they were in the MAC, but they have the last laugh now.

Now--as to your point about whether or not Candle is interested in UCF if they call, that's a fair point. I'd be shocked--pleasantly--if they tapped him on the shoulder & he said "no thanks". I wasn't a huge fan of the decision to hire Candle, but I believe he has made the effort to learn & get better himself, and he has grown on me as a result. I'd like to see how the UT program can progress with him here another couple seasons, so I hope he stays...but I'm not counting on it if he has an offer from UCF.

Memphis, however, or any other number of schools that may call on him, they don't worry me nearly as much.
12-04-2017 01:34 PM
pono Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
Local media there reporting 3 finalists, candle, their current OC, and one of Clemson's coordinators
12-04-2017 03:35 PM
Boca Rocket Offline
Legend

I Root For:
(12-04-2017 03:35 PM)pono Wrote:  Local media there reporting 3 finalists, candle, their current OC, and one of Clemson's coordinators

That's correct.
12-04-2017 03:36 PM
Michigan Rocket Offline
Special Teams

According to Bleacher Report, Candle is third on UCF list. Good. We love him here and don't want to lose him. Toledo has more of a football culture than UCF anyhow. It's funny, many of us were pissed off when Campbell left (mainly because we think we lost to WMU that day because Campbell mailed it in), but, we don't blame Candle if he wanted to leave for greener pastures.
12-04-2017 04:16 PM
BDV27 Offline
1st String

(12-04-2017 04:16 PM)Michigan Rocket Wrote:  According to Bleacher Report, Candle is third on UCF list. Good. We love him here and don't want to lose him. Toledo has more of a football culture than UCF anyhow. It's funny, many of us were pissed off when Campbell left (mainly because we think we lost to WMU that day because Campbell mailed it in), but, we don't blame Candle if he wanted to leave for greener pastures.

I think it completely had to do with timing. The appearance was that the team wasn't ready for WMU because he was interviewing for the ISU job and, we lost out on a MACC as a result.
12-04-2017 04:21 PM
Advertisement

jimrunsfar Offline
Bench Warmer

First call would have to be to Tom Manning....
12-04-2017 04:32 PM
eastisbest Offline
Hall of Famer

(12-04-2017 04:16 PM)Michigan Rocket Wrote:  According to Bleacher Report, Candle is third on UCF list. Good. We love him here and don't want to lose him. Toledo has more of a football culture than UCF anyhow. It's funny, many of us were pissed off when Campbell left (mainly because we think we lost to WMU that day because Campbell mailed it in), but, we don't blame Candle if he wanted to leave for greener pastures.

UCF has WAY more disposable even though their endowment is crap. They could likely take our coach AND our President.
12-04-2017 04:59 PM
bcunn3128 Away
Heisman

(12-04-2017 04:21 PM)BDV27 Wrote:  

I think it completely had to do with timing. The appearance was that the team wasn't ready for WMU because he was interviewing for the ISU job and, we lost out on a MACC as a result.

That sums it up for me. Campbell & Candle each showed different approaches to furthering their career...one seemed imo to be gushing & fawning over a suitor while the other has been characteristically low key.
12-04-2017 05:04 PM
emanoh Offline
All American

I Root For:
Who's on YOUR list?
You all realize that if we don't lose candle this year, we are just on borrowed time. Next year it will be the same merry go round of fires and hires. If he stays this year, 7 or 8+ wins next year and he'll be a candidate again. Hopefully its after another 10 win, MAC championship season.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
(This post was last modified: 12-04-2017 05:24 PM by emanoh.)
12-04-2017 05:24 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.