Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

OT: Thoughts on the CFP Top 4
Bookmark and Share
gdunn Offline
Repping E-Gang Colors

I Root For: Southern Miss

Survivor Champion
OT: Thoughts on the CFP Top 4
I mean all have lost a game they could've won. I was surprised that Ohio State got the treatment Penn State got last year.

I live amongst all kinds of Auburn fans who are upset that Bama got in.

I have a feeling that unless they get healthy, Bama being in won't matter. What say you?
12-04-2017 07:27 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Eagleaidaholic Offline
Hall of Famer

RE: OT: Thoughts on the CFP Top 4
Obvious who you beat is irrelevant. The big thing is do you have a bad loss and is your name Alabama? If you think about it Wisconsin has a better argument to be in than Bama.
12-04-2017 08:12 AM
shiftyeagle Offline
Deus Vult

Ohio State sealed their fate when they lost to Iowa. No, it wasn't necessarily a bad loss, but it was a second loss.

I don't think the committee wanted to set a 2-loss precedent quite yet. Personally, I'm glad they didn't have to.

Also, 31-0.

One can make a rational argument against Alabama making into the field, but conversely it's a tough argument to say they aren't one of the four best teams in the country. They're probably 2 TD's better than the 5, 6, and 8 teams and #7 had three losses. They would absolutely dismantle Wisconsin and USC and beat Ohio State comfortably.

This was a wet dream for the committee, but they got it right.

Cheering for Clemson and Georgia. If Baker Mayfield wasn't such a degenerate I'd probably cheer for Oklahoma.
(This post was last modified: 12-04-2017 09:35 AM by shiftyeagle.)
12-04-2017 09:34 AM
Eagleaidaholic Offline
Hall of Famer

(12-04-2017 09:34 AM)shiftyeagle Wrote:  Ohio State sealed their fate when they lost to Iowa. No, it wasn't necessarily a bad loss, but it was a second loss.

I don't think the committee wanted to set a 2-loss precedent quite yet. Personally, I'm glad they didn't have to.

Also, 31-0.

One can make a rational argument against Alabama making into the field, but conversely it's a tough argument to say they aren't one of the four best teams in the country. They're probably 2 TD's better than the 5, 6, and 8 teams and #7 had three losses. They would absolutely dismantle Wisconsin and USC and beat Ohio State comfortably.

Cheering for Clemson and Georgia. If Baker Mayfield wasn't such a degenerate I'd probably cheer for Oklahoma.

So. If Bama beats Auburn and then loses to Georgia in the Champ. Game both get in also? Bama would have more of an argument than they do now. First time ever a team loss to get in the playoff. Just giving a opinion how good you THINK they are is bogus. They struggled with and should have gotten beat by MSU. They gave up 23 against Colorado State and only beat aTm by a TD, but yet they will "dismantle" top tier teams? They only played one this year and that game wasn't as close as the score indicated. This all just admit it. They got in because the power that decides all of this wanted them in. T.V.
12-04-2017 10:24 AM
EagNBran Offline
All American

It's almost like creating a 4 team playoff for 5 power conferences was a dumb move.

We'll eventually move to 8, with all P5 champs getting in with 3 wild cards, which will never be G5 teams btw.

Then, inevitably, we'll move to 16 (because for every fan that isn't one of the P5 teams in the games, they want to see an underdog). This will mean all conference champs get in with 6 wild cards. The top 8 seeds (champs should always be seeded top 10 before wild cards, but doubt this happens) host the bottom 8 teams the week after Championships. Winners move on to the big bowls, losers are still able to sign with a normal bowl as a reward for the team on a great season.

At least, that's my model.
12-04-2017 11:10 AM
Up2stuff Offline
Special Teams

disclaimer - I lived in Alabama for 5 years and I hate the University of Alabama with every fiber of my being. Yes, more than Notre Dame (I lived in South Bend for 2 years - arrogant b-tards), and more, way more than Ole Miss.

With that said - the so-called college "playoff" is officially a f-ing joke. I'm sure that big win over Mercer helped to get Bama in.

Shifty...check me on this, but I think the committee has already set of precedent of 2 loss. This may have been before the actual 4 team playoff, but was during the BCS times. To me there is really no difference. Of course, it was an SEC team (LSU) so that is okay. 03-banghead

No way did Alabama deserve to get in over the Big-10 champ or even Wisconsin. I will be first to admit that the SEC is the best conference in college football year in and year out. But they were NOT this year. The west was down. MsState being Bama's biggest win in the west says all that needs to be said. Bama plays Mercer and loses to Auburn to end the season and sits at home to watch 2 teams better than them play for the SEC title and then get in. What a joke.

On top of that - I've said it before and I'll say it again - In no other sport, at no level, is a playoff necessarily about the best 4 teams. It happens all the time in the NFL. The AFC or the NFC champ game is many times the best 2 teams. What we have is not a playoff - it's another money making scam set up by the NCAA powers that be and the T.V. dirtbags (i.e. ESPN in particular).

If they want a playoff, then expand to at least 8 - all Champs of the so called P5 can go - 2 highest ranked G5, and one at large. Everyone else can sit at home at shut the f up. So what if a few that get in get their butts handed to them and they go home with their tails between their legs. If it's a playoff, you shouldn't have to play the same teams you already played to get there.

04-cheers
12-04-2017 11:31 AM
Advertisement

shiftyeagle Offline
Deus Vult

(12-04-2017 10:24 AM)Eagleaidaholic Wrote:  
(12-04-2017 09:34 AM)shiftyeagle Wrote:  Ohio State sealed their fate when they lost to Iowa. No, it wasn't necessarily a bad loss, but it was a second loss.

Also, 31-0.

So. If Bama beats Auburn and then loses to Georgia in the Champ. Game both get in also?

If it was a close game, probably. That's just how the cookie crumbled this year.

I'm open to arguments as to why Ohio State, USC, or Wisconsin should be in over Alabama. Go ahead and try.

Yes, Ohio State and USC won their conferences and that is normally very important. But they both lost 2 games this year. The committee didn't need to let in a 2-loss team, so they didn't.

USC lost to an overrated Notre Dame team by....wait for it.....35 POINTS. 5 freaking touchdowns.....that alone sealed their fate independent of their additional loss to Wazoo. You don't lose to anyone by 35 points and get into a 4-team playoff.

Ohio State lost to unranked Iowa by.....wait for it......31 freaking points. North Texas played Iowa closer than that. That alone sealed their fate independent of their additional loss to Oklahoma, who beat them comfortably by two touchdowns. You don't lose to anyone by 31 points and get into a 4-team playoff.

Wisconsin's schedule was garbage and their best win was against Iowa. They needed to win on Saturday to get a spot. Period. Everyone knew it. They predictably didn't win of course. IFFFFF they did win, we wouldn't be talking about Alabama at all.......BUTTTTTTT naturally they lost so.....the Big Turd conference was left out. (Also, 31-0 last year doesn't help).

Objectively, none of those teams had a leg to stand on. Alabama certainly "backed their way" in this year, but other teams didn't take care of business.
12-04-2017 11:33 AM
shiftyeagle Offline
Deus Vult

Wisconsin deserved it over Alabama?

STAHP THE MADNESS NOWWWWWWWWWW

I don't like Alabama either, but come on, folks.
12-04-2017 11:36 AM
Up2stuff Offline
Special Teams

(12-04-2017 11:36 AM)shiftyeagle Wrote:  Wisconsin deserved it over Alabama?

Shifty - It goes back to how "playoff" is defined. And what we have is not a playoff. The point is Wisconsin at least went to their conference champ. Like I said, Ohio State should have gotten the spot. And yes, even Wisconsin whose only loss was in a conference champ game should have gone before a team watching their champ game from the living room. Why even have conference champ games. Just play the season and pick the four teams that can make the NCAA the most money.

Alabama:

FSU - 6 losses
Fresno - 4 losses
Colorado State - 5 losses
Vanderbilt - 7 losses
Ole Miss - 6 losses
Tex A&M - 5 losses
Arkansas - 8 losses
UT - 8 losses
LSU- 3 losses
MsState - 4 losses
Mercer - 6 losses Mercer??? really
Auburn - 3 losses.

That resume' does not deserve being in over ANY conference champ of the big 10. And yes Wisconsin played Saturday - Alabama watched on the TV. I just don't get the Almighty SEC having 2 teams in this year. For that matter, Auburn should be in over Alabama. They at least played on Saturday and had beat Bama the week before. But yeah their schedule was as bad as Bama's.
12-04-2017 12:10 PM
shiftyeagle Offline
Deus Vult

Ohio State lost to Iowa by 31 points and Oklahoma by 16.

NO WAY they should have gotten in. It's that simple.
(This post was last modified: 12-04-2017 12:13 PM by shiftyeagle.)
12-04-2017 12:13 PM
shiftyeagle Offline
Deus Vult

I'm not arguing the format. I know it sucks.

But in this format, the correct teams got in.
12-04-2017 12:15 PM
Advertisement

Eagleaidaholic Offline
Hall of Famer

(12-04-2017 12:10 PM)Up2stuff Wrote:  
(12-04-2017 11:36 AM)shiftyeagle Wrote:  Wisconsin deserved it over Alabama?

Shifty - It goes back to how "playoff" is defined. And what we have is not a playoff. The point is Wisconsin at least went to their conference champ. Like I said, Ohio State should have gotten the spot. And yes, even Wisconsin whose only loss was in a conference champ game should have gone before a team watching their champ game from the living room. Why even have conference champ games. Just play the season and pick the four teams that can make the NCAA the most money.

Alabama:

FSU - 6 losses
Fresno - 4 losses
Colorado State - 5 losses
Vanderbilt - 7 losses
Ole Miss - 6 losses
Tex A&M - 5 losses
Arkansas - 8 losses
UT - 8 losses
LSU- 3 losses
MsState - 4 losses
Mercer - 6 losses Mercer??? really
Auburn - 3 losses.

That resume' does not deserve being in over ANY conference champ of the big 10. And yes Wisconsin played Saturday - Alabama watched on the TV. I just don't get the Almighty SEC having 2 teams in this year. For that matter, Auburn should be in over Alabama. They at least played on Saturday and had beat Bama the week before. But yeah their schedule was as bad as Bama's.
Actually Auburn's schedule was significantly harder than Bama's. Not even close. They went 2-2 against teams that are in the Playoff. They represent 2 of the losses to those playoff teams.
12-04-2017 12:16 PM
shiftyeagle Offline
Deus Vult

Auburn lost 3 games.

A 3-loss team is not getting in. Period. No way, no how.
12-04-2017 12:17 PM
Up2stuff Offline
Special Teams

(12-04-2017 12:17 PM)shiftyeagle Wrote:  Auburn lost 3 games.

A 3-loss team is not getting in. Period. No way, no how.

I hear ya - but one note - that 3rd loss was in the champ game and against a team better than any on Bama's schedule and was impossible for Bama to lose since they were watching from home. My comment about Auburn should be in before Bama was tongue-in-cheek considering Auburn beat Bama head to head.
12-04-2017 12:35 PM
shiftyeagle Offline
Deus Vult

It's not a money thing either though. Ohio State and USC would both generate a ton of revenue for the NCAA.

The fact is though.....Alabama is better both on paper and by gut-instinct than either of those teams.

Auburn's offensive scheme and play-calling were among the best I've ever seen in the one loss they had. Chip Lindsey had a perfect night that night.

I wanted Wisconsin to win to keep Bummer out.....but they didn't. The Big Turd only has themselves to blame.
12-04-2017 12:42 PM
TTT Offline
#SMTTT

I Root For: USM & G5
Alabama and the entire SEC was INCREDIBLY MEDIOCRE THIS YEAR.

Alabama had ZERO top 15 wins. ZERO. Nada. Their best win is against LSU (who lost to Troy) earlier in the year. They got beat down by a 3 loss auburn team and they squeaked by a 4 loss Mississippi State team.

Ohio State has TWO top 10 wins PLUS a division and conference championship. And the SAME # of wins (11) as Alabama. That 7-5 Iowa team they lost to would probably have gone 9-3 or 10-2 in the very average SEC this year.

Alabama got in the playoff because they benefited from a weak schedule and their name. Oh and the SEC/ESPN spoon each other every night.

Again...ZERO top 15 wins. Zero.
(This post was last modified: 12-04-2017 01:23 PM by TTT.)
12-04-2017 01:20 PM
Advertisement

shiftyeagle Offline
Deus Vult

Ohio State. Lost. To. Iowa. By. 31. Points. And that wasn't even their only loss.

Do y'all think they should've set a 2-loss precedent and also a precedent that you can lose by 31 to an unranked team and STILL make a 4-team playoff? Come on

I would bet you my next paycheck that Alabama would beat Iowa by at least 3 touchdowns. Those corn-fed white boys would crap themselves as soon as they saw that speed.

Again, I fully admit that Alabama backed into this position. Other teams faltered. It was there for the taking for Wisconsin, but nope.

Ohio State can blame Ohio State.
USC can blame USC.
Wisconsin can blame Wisconsin.
(This post was last modified: 12-04-2017 01:39 PM by shiftyeagle.)
12-04-2017 01:35 PM
stinkfist Online
nuts zongo's in the house

I Root For: Mustard Buzzards
until it goes to 8, stupid threads like this will continue to exist.....

the team that should be really pissed off is UCF.....

at least they get to play AUB......we'll see how that one plays out....

AUB -10 is the current number......

I know who I'm takin'......
12-04-2017 01:55 PM
TTT Offline
#SMTTT

I Root For: USM & G5
(12-04-2017 01:35 PM)shiftyeagle Wrote:  Ohio State. Lost. To. Iowa. By. 31. Points. And that wasn't even their only loss.

Do y'all think they should've set a 2-loss precedent and also a precedent that you can lose by 31 to an unranked team and STILL make a 4-team playoff? Come on

I would bet you my next paycheck that Alabama would beat Iowa by at least 3 touchdowns. Those corn-fed white boys would crap themselves as soon as they saw that speed.

Again, I fully admit that Alabama backed into this position. Other teams faltered. It was there for the taking for Wisconsin, but nope.

Ohio State can blame Ohio State.
USC can blame USC.
Wisconsin can blame Wisconsin.

OSU's 11 wins, 2 top-10 wins AND conference championship should overshadow a 30 point loss to Iowa earlier in the season all day when comparing it to a team that has zero wins vs top-15. Zero. You're right, they backed in but they are NOT the 4th best team in the nation. That's what this is all about...getting the 4 best teams. Ohio State is a much better team top to bottom than Alabama. There's a reason why Alabama has zero wins vs top-15 teams. Because their conference was terribly mediocre. They got in because of their name. They are only favored because of their name. Clemson will roll them, again.
(This post was last modified: 12-04-2017 02:52 PM by TTT.)
12-04-2017 02:49 PM
shiftyeagle Offline
Deus Vult

Clemson beat Ohio State 31-0 last year. Doubt it will be anywhere close to that margin.
12-04-2017 03:11 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.