Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

CBS Sports: UCF In talks with Kevin Sumlin...
Maize Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Athletes First
CBS Sports: UCF In talks with Kevin Sumlin...
To me this shows-(along with Strong at USF) That there is separation occurring in the Go5...The AAC is attracting solid coaches...from the article:

On Saturday, UCF lost its coach Scott Frost to Nebraska. It was a move anticipated for some time, even if it went down quietly behind the scenes until the Knights' appearance and win in the AAC Championship Game over Memphis. Nebraska is Frost's alma mater and in the end, it was impossible for him to say no to home (and a seven-year, $35 million deal).

According to UCF athletic director Danny White, UCF knew a change was coming, allowing it to get a head start on its own coaching search. That search is reportedly focusing in on a recently fired coach. Per Ryan Bass of CBS Tampa, the Knights have been in talks with former Texas A&M coach Kevin Sumlin about filling the void Frost leaves behind.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-footba...r-program/
(This post was last modified: 12-03-2017 12:19 PM by Maize.)
12-03-2017 12:18 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Kittonhead Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Beat Matisse
RE: CBS Sports: UCF In talks with Kevin Sumlin...
That is the thing....a lot of great P5 coaches are getting canned these days for unwinnable situations at their schools.

Recycling these guys back to the G5 will only strengthen the G5.
12-03-2017 12:26 PM
Maize Offline
Hall of Famer

(12-03-2017 12:26 PM)Kittonhead Wrote:  That is the thing....a lot of great P5 coaches are getting canned these days for unwinnable situations at their schools.

True...very valid point...IMO the AAC & MWC will benefit from the current situation
(This post was last modified: 12-03-2017 12:30 PM by Maize.)
12-03-2017 12:29 PM
Kittonhead Offline
Hall of Famer

(12-03-2017 12:29 PM)Maize Wrote:  
(12-03-2017 12:26 PM)Kittonhead Wrote:  That is the thing....a lot of great P5 coaches are getting canned these days for unwinnable situations at their schools.

True...very valid point...IMO the AAC & MWC will benefit from the current situation

AAC the most because they have deep pockets for coaching salaries.

MWC not so much. Why they are put on the same pedestal in conversations with the AAC I don't understand.
12-03-2017 12:44 PM
Advertisement

Maize Offline
Hall of Famer

(12-03-2017 12:44 PM)Kittonhead Wrote:  

MWC not so much. Why they are put on the same pedestal in conversations with the AAC I don't understand.

The MWC has some nice programs in Boise State and San Diego State...but I get your point.
12-03-2017 12:57 PM
bullet Offline
Legend

I Root For: Texas, UK, UGA
(12-03-2017 12:18 PM)Maize Wrote:  To me this shows-(along with Strong at USF) That there is separation occurring in the Go5...The AAC is attracting solid coaches...from the article:

On Saturday, UCF lost its coach Scott Frost to Nebraska. It was a move anticipated for some time, even if it went down quietly behind the scenes until the Knights' appearance and win in the AAC Championship Game over Memphis. Nebraska is Frost's alma mater and in the end, it was impossible for him to say no to home (and a seven-year, $35 million deal).

According to UCF athletic director Danny White, UCF knew a change was coming, allowing it to get a head start on its own coaching search. That search is reportedly focusing in on a recently fired coach. Per Ryan Bass of CBS Tampa, the Knights have been in talks with former Texas A&M coach Kevin Sumlin about filling the void Frost leaves behind.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-footba...r-program/

So Strong and Sumlin move their recruiting rivalry from Texas to Florida?04-cheers
12-03-2017 01:04 PM
HawaiiMongoose Offline
All American

I Root For: Hawaii

Maybe because a "recycled" former P5 coach just took Fresno State from 1-11 to 9-4 and the MWC championship game in a single season.
12-03-2017 01:25 PM
Advertisement

Kittonhead Offline
Hall of Famer

(12-03-2017 01:25 PM)HawaiiMongoose Wrote:  

Maybe because a "recycled" former P5 coach just took Fresno State from 1-11 to 9-4 and the MWC championship game in a single season.

That turnaround is more indicative as to how shallow the MWC has become than anything else IMO.

Tedford at 1.75 million salary. FAU brought in Kiffin at 1.25 million. FIU has Butch Davis at 1 million. FAU and FIU are CUSA schools and are doing it.

Lowest paid salary by G5 conference:
AAC 1,000,000 (Charlie Strong)
MWC 575,000
CUSA 550,000
MAC 500,000 (Terry Bowden)
SBC 500,000

The lowest paid AAC coach is paid higher than 6 MWC coaches.
12-03-2017 01:55 PM
Rabonchild Offline
1st String

I Root For: Charlotte
The CUSA Florida Twins hired former P5 coaches so CUSA is in the game too
12-03-2017 02:03 PM
Kittonhead Offline
Hall of Famer

(12-03-2017 02:03 PM)Rabonchild Wrote:  The CUSA Florida Twins hired former P5 coaches so CUSA is in the game too

The MAC East has Terry Bowden and Frank Solich.

The days when the MWC was paying 600k-700k while the MAC and SBC were paying 100k-150k for coaches are over.
12-03-2017 02:05 PM
Advertisement

UTEPDallas Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UTEP/Penn State
Even lowly UTEP recycled a Wazzu/ Alabama reject. A G5 gig is the place to go when you get canned by a P5 program. This is nothing new.
12-03-2017 02:37 PM
msm96wolf Offline
All American

I Root For:
Give the AAC credit, it is the perfect place stepping stone for a new coach and Lazarus conference for former G5 coaches. You have to think if USF does well next year Charlie Strong will be in demand next year.
12-03-2017 02:46 PM
HawaiiMongoose Offline
All American

I Root For: Hawaii
(12-03-2017 01:55 PM)Kittonhead Wrote:  
(12-03-2017 01:25 PM)HawaiiMongoose Wrote:  

That turnaround is more indicative as to how shallow the MWC has become than anything else IMO.

Tedford at 1.75 million salary. FAU brought in Kiffin at 1.25 million. FIU has Butch Davis at 1 million. FAU and FIU are CUSA schools and are doing it.

Lowest paid salary by G5 conference:
AAC 1,000,000 (Charlie Strong)
MWC 575,000
CUSA 550,000
MAC 500,000 (Terry Bowden)
SBC 500,000

The lowest paid AAC coach is paid higher than 6 MWC coaches.

It's true that the AAC is paying higher salaries than the MWC, but that hasn't translated to more hiring of former P5 coaches.

In 2017 the AAC had only two head football coaches with prior head coaching experience at a P5 school (Charlie Strong/Texas and Randy Edsall/Maryland). Also there was one AAC head coach with prior experience as a G5 or FCS head coach (Willie Fritz/Georgia Southern). All nine of the remaining AAC head coaches had no Division I head coaching experience before landing their AAC head coaching job.

By comparison, in 2017 the MWC also had two head football coaches with prior head coaching experience at a P5 school (Jeff Tedford/Cal and Bob Davies/Notre Dame). Also there were three MWC head coaches with prior experience as a G5 or FCS head coach (Rocky Long/New Mexico, Bryan Harsin/Arkansas State and Craig Bohl/North Dakota State). Only seven MWC head coaches had no Division I head coaching experience before landing their MWC head coaching job.

So it's not just about who's spending the most money. It's also about the inclination of the schools in a conference to spend their money on a recycled P5 head coach, versus some hotshot former assistant who's never run a D1 program. Both types of hires have their potential rewards, and their potential pitfalls.
(This post was last modified: 12-03-2017 03:42 PM by HawaiiMongoose.)
12-03-2017 03:08 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.